Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > is new-ish music really bad?

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Seems typical that as people age, they dislike new music.
Do people only like music that is relevant to certain times in their life?
Is old music better, or is new music just really crappy?

Nov 22 21 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Paolo D Photography wrote:
Seems typical that as people age, they dislike new music.
Do people only like music that is relevant to certain times in their life?
Is old music better, or is new music just really crappy?

Perhaps music doesn't occupy the central position in popular culture that it did in, say, the 1960s and 1970s when bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin were hugely influential, with people debating everything they did as if they were in government. In those days people talked about pop charts more than opinion polls. This was a time of rapid technological and social change in which celebrities in popular culture, in music, cinema and fashion were regarded as the pacesetters. So when you bought a record, you were doing more than buying a recording, you were making a statement by doing that.

Dec 01 21 05:49 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Yes, really BAD!!!
John

Dec 08 21 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Dave Gibson

Altoona, Pennsylvania, US

In general, people tend to prefer the type(s) of music that they develop a taste for in their late teens and twenties.

Dec 08 21 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

woodpaint51

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Yes, it's that crappy.   I'm a 60's through some 90's rocker, (Scorpions seemed to be the only band who kept releasing my kind of music.)  I accepted lots of changes and stuff for decades, but yeah, it has finally become over run with crap.  Blame it on hip-hop, rap and the internet. Where every kid has post up his youtube junk and thinks he's gonna be the next big rap star. (Which usually means violence, shootings at events and eventual early death).   It's insane what kids call 'music'. 
    As a middle school teacher and now substitute...I would always ask kids this.  "What key is that in?  Where is the melody. Do you know what syncopated music is?(example, "Kashmir" by Zeppelin)   What time is that 'song' in?   3/4 or 4/4 time?   And on it can go to show that what they listen to was considered 'music' a few thousand years ago in the form of tribal communication.  And the meaningless use of 'f-bombs' throughout, or the constant disrespect towards women in most of it.  Degrading use of the "N' word that is accepted and allowed by blacks, towards blacks, and reserved for only blacks and then not considered a racial slur?  (Only a white male can be guilty of racism it seems.)     
    So yeah, the music scene is full of crap. And because they can't win a REAL award, they have created their own numerous award shows and all the goofy 'reality' TV stuff such as The Voice, original American Idol, and etc. etc.    Fed up with those versions of 'music' too.   Glad to see vinyl make a return and realize at how they price albums now at near 30 bucks, well I must have a good quarter of a million dollars of unscratched original rock albums in my possession going back to the early 60's.        Here's to Jack Black and 'School of Rock' as the way we should teach our kids to learn and enjoy proper music.

Dec 10 21 11:41 am Link

Photographer

woodpaint51

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

JSouthworth wrote:

Perhaps music doesn't occupy the central position in popular culture that it did in, say, the 1960s and 1970s when bands like The Beatles and Led Zeppelin were hugely influential, with people debating everything they did as if they were in government. In those days people talked about pop charts more than opinion polls. This was a time of rapid technological and social change in which celebrities in popular culture, in music, cinema and fashion were regarded as the pacesetters. So when you bought a record, you were doing more than buying a recording, you were making a statement by doing that.

Agree with much of above.  Also it's possible that MTV and the music video era was the beginning of the downfall of LISTENING, and not expecting to watch the music.   A band put together an album side with a purpose, and order, and it often worked the songs together.   I think of many Beatles albums like that, and the Moody Blues too.    Not just a collection of 'best of' hits.   A true artist wants the whole album side to be heard in one long play....LP's got that name for a reason.

Dec 10 21 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

AUTOTUNE....just sayin

Jan 23 22 01:02 am Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

Los Angeles, California, US

My Spotify "discover weekly" is full of new songs that mostly match what I like. It is really good at doing that.

I really enjoy younger generation's music as it matches what I wished to like when I was growing up. People liked it, somewhere, but they didn't live around me so that was tough since I couldn't share the experience with people - or to rephrase: other people weren't willing to share the experience with me as they didn't like the music. Sure there were some extremely counterculture people around, but they weren't the hot popular people that I would want to spend all my energy on just to not have any shared interests. Now they are the hot popular people and I love that, just younger, and tbh that's working out well for me.

On a related note, to me its too obvious and odd how artists try to be relatable to their audience. They age with their audience even if they are not of the same age group. So, of artists that were popular and more appreciable during someone's impressionable phase, those artists know that and study those people, and keep acting like that specific group through the rest of their career. Do what you gotta do, but its a bit cringe to me. I wish I was impressionable enough to enjoy that form of escape, the thing the crowd likes.

I don't think new music is bad, I really look forward to it now.

Last note is that there are some things I used to think were bad, that I learned to appreciate. Like goofy lyrics and ad libs in rap songs. Its kinda of like a running gag, and I enjoy seeing what they come up with although I don't choose to listen to that music, I have a good time when it is on.

Jan 26 22 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Dave Gibson wrote:
In general, people tend to prefer the type(s) of music that they develop a taste for in their late teens and twenties.

I mostly agree with this. Some may have been limited to a single genre. (rock, country, or symphony, etc.) That can depend on what you are exposed to, or even limited to hearing. Luckily, for us in the 20th century, we had the advantage of radio, so we had the opportunity to be exposed to a wide variety of genres and artists, depending upon where we lived and our cultures.

I'm an older coot raised in North America, and those "development years" for me were mainly the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Being a fan of mostly rock music, there were also selected talents in later decades, beyond those preferred "core" years. I feel I was fortunate to experience an era that had such a wealth of amazing talent! Over the later years I came to realize that, even in the genres that were not my favourites, I could still find selected talents and musical creations to enjoy. I found that, although there were types of music that I did not prefer, there were always some that stood above the others. Talent is talent and good music is good music, no matter the style. For my tastes, the "newer" music, in general, seems lacking in ability, musicianship, and depth, so it takes much more searching to find the "gems". I don't invest hours searching the so called mainstream tunes by today's "pop stars". I have to agree that I can't stand Autotune, that so many depend on, as a crutch to mask their lack of talent. I don't seek top 40 studio consumer ear-candy. I have always preferred to view/hear live performances, showing what the artists can really do live & in person.

If there is a positive side to the pandemic, I would say it gave me more time to make use of YouTube, to watch hundreds of wonderful live performances of great acts and music that I love. As a fan of great guitar solos and riffs, it allowed me to repeatedly enjoy awesome talents. I was able to explore musical greats at events such as Eric Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festivals. Videos are well engineers and filmed. Here is one that I love, in front of about 40 thousand fans, by the Tedeschi Trucks Band called Midnight in Harlem.

In my journeys around YouTube I came across a genre I would never have predicted I would enjoy. I was never a "metal" fan, and the little bits I encountered over the years sounded like noise and screaming. I did not know there were subcategories within that genre and had no desire to listen to any. Then, over a year ago, I was fortunate enough to see a video of a live performance, by a band I had never heard of. (This is fairly common in North America, as they are from Europe, and not on radio.) They have millions of fans around the world, and always have sold out concerts. The genre is called "symphonic metal" and the 2 genres mix together amazingly well! They sound much better live (no autotune) than on albums. All members are master rock musicians and the female lead singer is a classically trained soprano with a wild range, who can also rock! Her Name is Floor Jansen and the band's name is Nightwish. Here they are in front of 82,000 fans performing Everdream.

Somewhat on the other end of the spectrum, are talented upcoming young new talents that have great musical careers ahead of them. A breeding ground for many of them appears to be in Dublin, Ireland. That city enables new upcoming talents to gain experience and a bit of income, by allowing and scheduling street performances by various musicians, in different areas, most notably on Grafton Street, allowing for large audiences of shoppers. One such young (16) talent, that I have enjoyed for about 2 years is Allie Sherlock. She travels with her dad about 1.5 hours from her home every week to busk either solo or with some of the other street musicians. She performs covers of well known music from the 60's right through to modern hits, as well as an increasing number of originals. (did I mention she's 16) She has hundreds of videos on YouTube and millions of views. Her she is this week covering the Righteous Brothers hit Unchained Melody

So, the way I see it, (hear) much of today's newer music is crap, but, if you look around, there are a fair number of existing and future performers that are well worth looking into and listening to.

Feb 01 22 07:49 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Dave Gibson wrote:

This. Man, did I love the 90s/early-2000s!

I used to enjoy going through my dad's CD collection (R&B music) in the living room, and finding something to listen to from start to finish. That's how I eventually became a HUGE Faith Evans fan (That debut album of hers...WOW). And now she'll be coming to my area (Well...the D.C. area, anyway), along with R&B group SWV...and Mya! I've gotta get a ticket soon.

I had the pleasure of seeing Teena Marie (R.I.P.) live at the B.B. King club in NYC back in 2002.

Feb 03 22 10:06 am Link

Model

The Matthew Ross

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Tikeya wrote:

This. Man, did I love the 90s/early-2000s!

I used to enjoy going through my dad's CD collection (R&B music) in the living room, and finding something to listen to from start to finish. That's how I eventually became a HUGE Faith Evans fan (That debut album of hers...WOW). And now she'll be coming to my area (Well...the D.C. area, anyway), along with R&B group SWV...and Mya! I've gotta get a ticket soon.

I had the pleasure of seeing Teena Marie (R.I.P.) live at the B.B. King club in NYC back in 2002.

This

The 1980’s . My toddler years ( still LOVE the soft rock , RnB , pop )
The 1990-1999 , kindergarten - 9th grade
2000 - 2003 high school years ..
2005 - 2010 … hmmm ok
2011-2020 … hmmm
2020 & on .. what the *Bleep!*

& don’t get me started on the MTV VMAs …. 1999-2005 were Gold , back when MTV & VH1 actually played music videos !
I would literally blast the tv as I got ready for school .

But … not anymore.

Jul 19 22 12:29 pm Link