Forums > General Industry > "Free Luminar" Scam! Beware!!!

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Most people know that I'm extremely aware and up to date on most of the scams that are out there, but there's a new one that even fooled me for a moment.

Y'see, most people put their trust in Facebook advertisements thinking that Facebook will vet those ads.  In reality Facebook is only interested in receiving money from companies to advertise on Facebook.

Nearly EVERY ad for photography products that I've seen on Facebook is a fake/fraud/scam.  I'm not talking about the FB Marketplace ads (which has a higher percentage of scammers than Craigslist), I'm talking about the real advertisement you see when scrolling through the latest posts.

The newest one I've seen was an ad promoting FREE LUMINAR software by Skylum.  They were using Skylum logos, photos, trademarks, and photos... the same ones seen on the REAL Skylum/Luminar site.

It was an announcement for Free Luminar 4.  Just click the link to download.

DO NOT CLICK THE LINK. IT CONTAINS MALWARE that sends banking and personal information to other people!!!

The real company doesn't have any offer like what's seen in the ad on the Skylum/Luminar website.
(There is an offer for a free 7 day trial though).  NEVER click on a FB ad, if you're interested ALWAYS go to the real website.  If it aint seen there it aint legit!

I've contacted both Skylum and Facebook regarding the scammer but I guess neither company has an interest in pursuing the matter or making sure the scammers ad account doesn't appear any more.

Nov 25 21 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I suggest deleting Facebook smile
The world would be a better place without it.

Nov 25 21 02:57 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Most people know that I'm extremely aware and up to date on most of the scams that are out there, but there's a new one that even fooled me for a moment.

Y'see, most people put their trust in Facebook advertisements thinking that Facebook will vet those ads.  In reality Facebook is only interested in receiving money from companies to advertise on Facebook.

Nearly EVERY ad for photography products that I've seen on Facebook is a fake/fraud/scam.  I'm not talking about the FB Marketplace ads (which has a higher percentage of scammers than Craigslist), I'm talking about the real advertisement you see when scrolling through the latest posts.

The newest one I've seen was an ad promoting FREE LUMINAR software by Skylum.  They were using Skylum logos, photos, trademarks, and photos... the same ones seen on the REAL Skylum/Luminar site.

It was an announcement for Free Luminar 4.  Just click the link to download.

DO NOT CLICK THE LINK. IT CONTAINS MALWARE that sends banking and personal information to other people!!!

The real company doesn't have any offer like what's seen in the ad on the Skylum/Luminar website.
(There is an offer for a free 7 day trial though).  NEVER click on a FB ad, if you're interested ALWAYS go to the real website.  If it aint seen there it aint legit!

I've contacted both Skylum and Facebook regarding the scammer but I guess neither company has an interest in pursuing the matter or making sure the scammers ad account doesn't appear any more.

Thanks for looking out

Nov 25 21 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Frankly, almost all of the Facebook ads that seem "to good to be true" or "a really great price" tend to be scams.   Facebook does nothing about them, seemingly. 

Most are reasonably easy to prove out:  Recently registered domains, poor spelling and grammar, no physical address noted, incorrect company names in the boring stuff (privacy policy, shipping terms, etc) because they simply copied it from another site, etc.   

Caveat Emptor!

Nov 27 21 09:52 pm Link