Forums > General Industry > Release forms for trade shoots?

Photographer

Beyond Boudoir Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

Photographers:  When you do trade shoots with models, how often do they ask you for written proof that they have the rights to use the photos?

Models:  What is your policy?

Do models who sell their pix online have to show proof that they have publication rights?  I'm guessing the answer is mostly no, based on the fact that I am very rarely if ever asked by a model to sign a release form when doing a trade shoot.   

What is the common custom in your area?

These questions came up in a conversation with a fellow photographer, so I thought it would be appropriate to ask in the forum.

Nov 28 21 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

You should not be signing a "release form" from a model, as that is legally meaningless. If a model wants to use an image you have shot (and are therefore the rights holder), you need to grant a use license.

Nov 28 21 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

A savvy model in a trade shoot arrangement will generally seek an (Unlimited) Use License.

This agreement conveys rights to the model (and photographer) to use agreed images in specified ways and periods of time. It should also specify any use which is not permitted.

In my experience, no model has ever suggested/requested/demanded that I transfer copyright to any image(s).

Nov 29 21 12:42 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

matt-h2 wrote:
You should not be signing a "release form" from a model, as that is legally meaningless. If a model wants to use an image you have shot (and are therefore the rights holder), you need to grant a use license.

I'm sure you're an expert and all, but Stanford kinda disagrees with you. Seems like the word 'release' you object to can be used in this context.

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/i … -releases/

I particularly like this paragraph:
"Don’t rely on the title of an agreement. In many cases, licenses and releases overlap. For example, a release agreement may contain license language and vice versa. Despite what it says at the top of the agreement, either type of agreement can be used to grant rights or to prevent lawsuits. Because of this overlap, the title of an agreement is less important than the content."

Nov 29 21 04:47 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Beyond Boudoir wrote:
Photographers:  When you do trade shoots with models, how often do they ask you for written proof that they have the rights to use the photos?

Every shoot I do, regardless of the compensation, has both a model release signed and a usage license signed. The very specific and individual details of each document have been discussed and agreed to prior to the shoot date. Drafts of both documents are sent to the model for review in advance of the first time we work together (and additionally at every subsequent session if/where there are any changes to either document). Rarely (but not never) has a model or client specifically asked to see the agreements; they get the above treatment regardless. Every. Single. Time.

Nov 29 21 06:15 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

When I’ve done trade shoots with musicians or similar models who plan to use shoot photos to promote their business, I’ve always provided written usage rights.

Nov 29 21 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Beyond Boudoir Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

Anyone know where I could find examples of usage licenses of the type a photographer might give to a model after a trade shoot?

Nov 29 21 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The few time I have been asked to release photos to a model (doesn't make any difference if it's a trade shoot or a paid shoot) was when the model sent the images to a print lab and before they would print them, they required permission from the photographer to print the photos for her. All I did was send the lab an email on my letterhead saying that I gave the model permission to have my photos printed and that permission extends to the lab as well.

The lab is protecting themselves from any lawsuit for printing photos without the permission of the copyright holder.

Nov 29 21 09:45 am Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

Dan Howell wrote:

I'm sure you're an expert and all, but Stanford kinda disagrees with you. Seems like the word 'release' you object to can but used in this context.

https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/i … -releases/

I particularly like this paragraph:
"Don’t rely on the title of an agreement. In many cases, licenses and releases overlap. For example, a release agreement may contain license language and vice versa. Despite what it says at the top of the agreement, either type of agreement can be used to grant rights or to prevent lawsuits. Because of this overlap, the title of an agreement is less important than the content."

Sure, and if a form is sloppily drafted to have the wrong title, it probably also has bad content.

Nov 29 21 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Jeff LaMarche

San Diego, California, US

matt-h2 wrote:
Sure, and if a form is sloppily drafted to have the wrong title, it probably also has bad content.

That's actually not a true or fair statement. The title of a contract or other legal document is there for conveniently referring to the document in conversation ("did you receive the model release I sent you?"). There is no legal requirement that the title be exhaustive or even accurate and, in my experience (retired lawyer here), they very often aren't.

There's also no requirement that you use a separate document for each separate thing you want to do. For example, it's not uncommon for a single document to serve as a license agreement, release, and contract, but be titled "Model Release". It's common practice (not just in this situation, either) to use one document that memorializes all relevant aspects of what the parties have agreed to for one particular situation, unless there's some specific reason to use multiple documents.

The only things I do in a separate document are the 18 USC §2257 compliance (proof of age - which the USAG can request at any time without evidence or suspicion of wrongdoing) and when doing works-for-hire, the copyright license or copyright assignment. since clients seeking to publish images usually want that as a separate document that they can provide to publishers.

Bottom line: Models know what a "model release" is, so titling a document "Model Release" is perfectly appropriate even if that document includes other terms besides the model giving up certain rights, and even if the document is not technically "a release". When referring to a document, a "release" is is a one-party document where one person gives up rights they would otherwise have. If a document places any restrictions or grants any explicit rights to the photographer, it's not technically a release - it's a contract or agreement that includes release terms.

Nov 29 21 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

Jeff  LaMarche wrote:
That's actually not a true or fair statement. The title of a contract or other legal document is there for conveniently referring to the document in conversation ("did you receive the model release I sent you?"). There is no legal requirement that the title be exhaustive or even accurate and, in my experience (retired lawyer here), they very often aren't.

There's also no requirement that you use a separate document for each separate thing you want to do. For example, it's not uncommon for a single document to serve as a license agreement, release, and contract, but be titled "Model Release". It's common practice (not just in this situation, either) to use one document that memorializes all relevant aspects of what the parties have agreed to for one particular situation, unless there's some specific reason to use multiple documents.

The only things I do in a separate document are the 18 USC §2257 compliance (proof of age - which the USAG can request at any time without evidence or suspicion of wrongdoing) and when doing works-for-hire, the copyright license or copyright assignment. since clients seeking to publish images usually want that as a separate document that they can provide to publishers.

Bottom line: Models know what a "model release" is, so titling a document "Model Release" is perfectly appropriate even if that document includes other terms besides the model giving up certain rights, and even if the document is not technically "a release". When referring to a document, a "release" is is a one-party document where one person gives up rights they would otherwise have. If a document places any restrictions or grants any explicit rights to the photographer, it's not technically a release - it's a contract or agreement that includes release terms.

All good points,

Nov 29 21 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

When I send a model their edited images I include a "Limited Copyright Release" which permits the named/numbered photos to be used for their self-promotional uses only, and requires them to obtain a further written release for any other uses. Seems to have worked well that way for a long time.

Dec 07 21 12:20 am Link