Forums > General Industry > Rates for multi-day workshops and events

Model

Acasiamodel

Austin, Texas, US

Hi:)

I'm an art (nude) model who has worked for several multi-day, travel/location-based workshops and events.

Recently was offered opportunity to organize/host a group of models for a 5-day workshop based in a popular tourist destination in the mountains. As part of this, one of my responsibilities has been to propose compensation package for the models. Different events work differently, and this one is a teaching workshop in which attendee photographers pay for the workshop, the models are paid a flat rate for a set number of shoots (two per day normally), and the lead photographers keep most of the project income (based on past projects with this group). 

This post is just to gather some information, both on what you have paid for such events (or what prices you've heard/seen being charged), and what compensation was offered to the models. I've been surveying my group of potential models to see about payment expectations, and it is all across the board, so thought i would come here to gauge experiences of people across the industry who have actually been involved in, or at least seen pricing structures for these events. No need to name names (though it's fine with me if you want to).

I am most interested in the pay offered to the models, structure of workshop (number of shooting hours per day, whether private one-on-ones were option for the models to make extra money), cost required of the Photographers, and the length/location of the workshops. Thank you in advance for any input!

Also, am aware of the many day-shoot type workshops, often hosted at studios, that have a group shooting portion at set rate, and private one-on-one slots paid at the model's rate. While information on this type of workshop is also appreciated, mainly interested in the more large-scale, multi-day projects.

I will start :p
The structure of this particular workshop is all-inclusive..for a particular rate ($3-5K, so far undecided), Photographers are given accommodation, food, collaboration with models in a 2:1 Photographer:model ratio, multiple shooting locations with transportation included, private instruction, and several classroom-style sessions in different photography styles. The shooting schedule includes 2 sessions per day, 1.5-2hr in the morning, and 1.5-2hr in the evening.

For my own experience with multi-day travel workshops and/or events, the time length has varied anywhere from 3 days to two weeks, and the rate has varied from zero (all expenses paid and option to book with any attendee photographers at our own rate) to multiple thousands of dollars. I've seen the events that charge the models for attendance, and this is not the type of workshop i'm talking about. I've also been offered some events that required models to cover their own travel expense, or to find sponsorship, and events that required models to get X number of photographer signups in order to be hired for the event. In the interest of professionalism, i am not going in to details about what i consider ideal, fair, and reasonable. This is an information-seeking post only! Though i am happy to answer questions about my own experiences with events and workshops

Really i'm seeking advice (with the benefit of your objectivity) about what is a fair pay rate for the models, for a 5-day art-nude workshop on-location (accommodations are covered for the models, but not transportation such as airfare from out of state).

Dec 17 21 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

This will be a five day workshop but only two sessions per day of 1.5-2 hrs each. Obviously you cannot propose paying the models an hourly rate. More like a day rate (or a five day rate).

Dec 18 21 07:47 am Link

Model

Acasiamodel

Austin, Texas, US

Thank you for the response..i completely agree

For similarly structured projects I've modeled for in the past, have been paid a flat rate for multi-day workshops or events. 

Looking to get more feedback on the "average" model payment for events of this structure, because right now all I have as reference is what I've been paid, and it has varied wildly.

One of the lead photographers proposed $1k/wk as the model payment..I consider this much too low.  (They offered me a higher rate as anchor model.. but I don't find this necessarily fair, and want to advocate for higher model pay for everyone involved).. will feel more equipped to do this if I have an idea of what different workshops pay. 

If it was your event.. what would you consider fair?

Dec 19 21 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Are you dead set on hiring models directly for this event? I ran the Arizona Shootout and found it to be much more beneficial for everyone involved (Models, Photographers, and the Organizer... me) to structure it so that a model's earnings were determined by how much she hustled during the event.

Dec 19 21 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

I went to a couple of workshops in the Caribbean in 06 and 07, Thursday thru Monday, I think my cost was around $1800 not including my airfare. This was a mostly swimsuit and nude workshop, although there was very little teaching.

Format was two photographers shared 1 model in the morning and a different model in the afternoon for 3 days of shooting, about 2 hours each shoot. 12 photographers total and 6 models total.

I don't know what the promoter paid the models. At the end of the workshop, photographers who wanted a release each paid each model $125 for a full release. So the models got $1500 for the workshop, about 12 hours shoot time.

Last days photographers could schedule one on ones for $75 for 45 minutes, and had to pay the MUA another $40 for each model they wanted to shoot. A few models made an additional $600, but some only $75.

No idea what current pricing should be, just sharing for the format which I think worked pretty well.

Dec 20 21 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

$300.oo per day, plus room & board, and travel expenses.

Dec 20 21 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

double post . . .

Dec 20 21 08:36 am Link