Forums > Photography Talk > Flickr going down the same path as Tumblr

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

So they finally send me an email about their new policy "to make the community safer to browse". No more NSFW images unless I sign up for a paid account. WTF? Have these goons not read the tech news on Tumblr? Not only that, they now (correct me if I am wrong) have ads when browsing photos unless you have a paid account. Let me offer a bit of advice for these idiotards; it should be like...you can browse and see all the NSFW images only if you have a paid account. People will pay to see sex, no one will pay to see someone's dog or cat. Especially when users are supplying the contents, why kill the contents makers and dig a grave together with Tumblr?

As I have always said, you can have a college education and still be a dumb ass. Nothing can illustrate that better than this.

Apr 19 22 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

This is the official Flickr spin. It sure sounds like they are doing it for your own good and a royal cause. Yeah right.  smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIQOo6W … a0UlO-yJgr

Apr 19 22 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Paid can post anything. ANYTHING! I keep reporting child nudes in galleries that some of my images occasionally get faved up with. Sometimes they do something and sometimes they don't recognize I asked. They could start there... but no.

Still as for a Tumbler comparison, They are not using robots to end nudes even when not nudes like some sites I could mention. Just a nudes for free thing.....for now

Edited to add. Paid seems to filter any reason to worry about a contents morality.

Apr 19 22 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

BRIAN D WILLIAMS

Los Angeles, California, US

Didn't even know Flicker was still around...

Try posting on Kavyar, Behance or Twitter

Apr 19 22 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

HiResPhotographs

Corona, California, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
No more NSFW images unless I sign up for a paid account. WTF?

You can still view, just can't keep existing or upload NSFW.

And, from what I understand, if you have a free account and don't remove your moderate and restricted images, they may remove your entire account.

...they now (correct me if I am wrong) have ads when browsing photos unless you have a paid account.

It's been that way for a while.

The email notification from Flickr I received:

Beginning May 1, 2022, Flickr will start enforcing our recently-announced Free account changes regarding Restricted and Moderate content.

What this means: Free accounts with Restricted or Moderate content will be considered in violation of our terms of service and subject to removal. Accounts found in violation of our terms will need to either subscribe to Flickr Pro or remove the content in violation.

These changes don’t affect your ability to view or hide moderate or restricted content. See our FAQ video for more details.

Flickr Free members who want to upload or continue to have Restricted or Moderate content will need to upgrade their accounts to Flickr Pro by May 1.

Apr 20 22 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

A common exchange-

model: you want me to give your nude for free?

flakr: no, you have to pay us to give us the nude.

Unbelievable, eh?  smile

Apr 20 22 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

alantan-fotography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

So it's no point asking an outsider to view your flickr website if they cannot see ur NSFW images.

Apr 22 22 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Bah! Lets add the already irrelevant Pinterest car to the crazy train. Got this last night. Haven't used it in years. 

I did something wrong except it turns out I didn't do anything wrong but if I do it again I will be deleted. Aand we are not going to show you which image caused all the confusion. Great guys-lets stay in touch. Except no I'm deleting you.

Hi Randy,
Recently, we removed one of your Pins for violation of our guidelines on adult content. After a review of our decision, we've decided to reinstate your Pin, but please take some time to go through your Pins and remove any that may be in violation of our Community Guidelines.
These rules apply to all Pins, including ones on your secret boards. If we notice more Pins that conflict with our Community Guidelines, we may take additional action on your account.
Thanks,
The Pinterest Team

Apr 22 22 07:54 am Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

alantan-fotography wrote:
So it's no point asking an outsider to view your flickr website if they cannot see ur NSFW images.

No.  Do not need a paid account to view NSFW images, just to post them.

Apr 22 22 08:40 am Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

From a business (in this case, legal) standpoint it makes sense. Forcing people who post NSFW images to have paid accounts means that flickr knows who they are and can identify them to third parties. If you don’t understand why they would want that, you have not been paying attention the past several years about attempts to regulate/control certain content online.

Apr 22 22 08:44 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

You will never see NSFW images on either of those sites because I don’t use them.

Apr 23 22 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

exartica wrote:
From a business (in this case, legal) standpoint it makes sense. Forcing people who post NSFW images to have paid accounts means that flickr knows who they are and can identify them to third parties. If you don’t understand why they would want that, you have not been paying attention the past several years about attempts to regulate/control certain content online.

^^ This ^^

May 09 22 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

AG_Boston

Boston, Massachusetts, US

When Verizon bought Yahoo I deleted all of my photos on Flickr. That was a lot of photos...A LOT. Haven't looked back since.

Jun 20 22 12:39 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Had  paid Flickr account for several years.  Have not nor do I intend removing anything. FYI: Smug Mug owns Flickr.
You want some cheese...........

99k all time views.

Jun 20 22 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Stickgunner

Lexington, Kentucky, US

G Reese wrote:
Had  paid Flickr account for several years.  Have not nor do I intend removing anything. FYI: Smug Mug owns Flickr.
You want some cheese...........

99k all time views.

I'm not sure how long you have been using Flickr, or how many images you have posted, but that number seems pretty low.  I searched for your user name and only found nonpublic images/ galleries. 

The only reason I still post to Flickr is because of the amount of total views I have.  While I don't think Flickr is overly relevant, I have over 32.6M, and my images are rather specialized, so I don't think they pull the views that I would think most of you guys and gals have.

Jun 25 22 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Marc S Photography

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

exartica wrote:

A company just has to take your credit card number and not have to charge it or charge a one time minimal amount like 2 dollars (whatever is needed to cover the cost of a credit card transaction processing fee) to validate as much as can be validated of who you are.

Jul 16 22 11:21 pm Link

Photographer

exartica

Bowie, Maryland, US

Marc S Photography wrote:

A company just has to take your credit card number and not have to charge it or charge a one time minimal amount like 2 dollars (whatever is needed to cover the cost of a credit card transaction processing fee) to validate as much as can be validated of who you are.

Where is the fun in that?  Tracking data and recurring income. Two birds with one stone.

Jul 18 22 05:55 am Link