Forums > General Industry > Model release and ID

Photographer

Nicolas the dreamer

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I searched for this topic in the Forums, but could not find this topic.

I am a non-commercial (but serious) photographer based in Vancouver Canada.
I shoot up to erotic nudes.  As of yet I have no desire to sell my work, either as sets or as individual pieces of "Art".
But I do post my work on non-commercial sites such as Model Mayhem and Deviant Art.

When a model signs a Model Release, is this valid without a piece of ID (such as a Driver's License)?

My understanding is that both the release and the ID are required.  I was recently told by a model that she had never been asked for a piece of ID.  I was a little surprised.

Therefore I am asking for clarification here.  Is the piece of official ID (such as photo of Driver's License) mandatory?

Best regards to all,

Nicolas

May 07 22 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I'm no lawyer.

I always require a valid photo ID and signed release. I photograph the model holding up the ID and release which makes it easy to find as it's stored in the same file as the images.

Some models may look young. If they are unwilling to provide valid ID maybe they are lying about their age. I like to be able to prove their age if ever the question might arise. I say this even though I almost always work with people a bit older.

In my opinion "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

May 07 22 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Nicolas the dreamer

Thanks Znude.
The model I was shooting is 28 years old, so definitely not underage.
My understanding was also the model release, ID and model's photo should be held together.
As the shoot already took place, and it went well ... I am perplexed by the model's reticence. 

Nicolas

May 07 22 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I learned long ago it's best to get the release signed and done before beginning the shoot. Once the shoot is done and the model is paid or the trade is complete there is no incentive left to get the release signed.

May 07 22 09:35 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

There are so many reasons why, but let's just start with the most fundamental aspect of it.

How do you know that the name that she gave you (put on the model release and signed), is her actual legal name?   If it's not, then the model release is completely useless.

While this part may not be a factor in this particular case, have you considered what could happen if you had nude photos of a model that lied about being old enough?   The Gov't issued photo ID such as a passport, drivers license or a BC Services Card (the version with photo and her birth date), not only demonstrates her legal name, it includes a photo to match that legal name to her specifically, and it confirms how old she is.

What happens if you decide in the future to publish or display the work in any sort of public forum, where you are required to document the model release, legal ID and proof of age, etc?

I would be extremely worried about any Vancouver model, especially one doing nude work, who claims to be experienced and lies about never needing to provide her ID before.  Something's VERY wrong with this picture, so to speak.

The good news is (while some of the details might vary) your initial fundamental instincts were right.  She then bullshitted you into skipping that stage.   I only hope that she actually was a complete "newbie" and just didn't know better.

When working with a new model, I always make sure she understands the model release, ID and payment procedure (and details of the shoot) before we meet.  As previously mentioned, the forms are filled in and the ID documentation, etc, are always handled up front.  Although in my particular case I leave "just" the final signature on the model release along with the payment to the end (no surprises for either side, payment on completion of the work with signed model release).  It seems to work well for all involved and I haven't run into a professional model (at least around here) that seemed surprised by that.

If you work with her again, make it clear up front that you'll need the correct documentation, and why.   Getting the correct documentation (proving who she is and her age) later, is still better than never.  On the other hand, if it's not her real name and/or age, then she will refuse.  In which case I would just write-off the images from that shoot as one of those "learning experiences"...

May 07 22 09:58 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

By the way, the parts about photos of her with the model release and holding her photo ID are not (at least here) a specific legal requirement.  Useful, but not a requirement.

What they are is good SUPPORTING EVIDENCE if anyone ever challenges the validity of the model release.

For example.  If she claims that she never entered into any such agreement and never signed a model release (and that you faked things somehow), then the photo (with her face in the photo), holding up her photo ID that you have on file with the model release (with or without a photo of her also holding up the model release) is going to be pretty hard to explain...

Or if you somehow end up in a horrible situation where a model has lied about her age or even her name, you will have solid documentation that she provided (what was apparently) solid Gov't photo ID indicating otherwise.  Although if she even looks underage, (at least personally) I'd stay completely clear anyway.

One final note.  The experienced Vancouver nude models WILL wonder about you, if you DON'T document their ID, during your first session with them.   Although, if they are aware that you are new to it here, they will happily guide you through it.

May 07 22 10:24 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Nicolas the dreamer wrote:
Therefore I am asking for clarification here.  Is the piece of official ID (such as photo of Driver's License) mandatory?

Mandatory or required? I would guess a more correct answer would be to ask a BC lawyer, but I would doubt that it's mandatory (as in the document has no standing without it). Think of it this way: have you been asked for and provided your official ID each and every single time you've put your signature on a piece of paper? When you signed off on the estimate for your furnace repair? When you signed the credit card receipt after dinner? When you electronically agreed to the terms of  usage on any of a number of websites and apps? Probably not.

People do it for the many safeguarding CYA reasons given above, and making it part of your standard operating procedure may give you peace of mind, but I doubt that it's mandatory, legally.

May 07 22 11:52 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Absolutely, as has been pointed out. The reason that I jumped in is that both my lawyer's advice, and my personal (fairly extensive) relevant experience, IS BC based, same as the thread poster.  Relevant legal advice needs to be local.

A good example of really strict requirements was the "on again / off again" infamous U.S. record keeping requirements...

By the way, here, even a "verbal" contract is still a legal contract.  But in reality that's completely useless and no lawyer would recommend it.   How do you "prove" that contract if the other party later says otherwise?

And when you're publicly displaying nude images, in case of a dispute, the Judges tend to require a "higher standard" of proof.  Obviously that's for a good reason.  It's to prevent someone from publicly displaying nude images without the subject's consent.  Where not agreed to, that has quite a different impact from other types of photos.

So, as always, good pre-shoot communication and documentation is key.  And, as was previously mentioned, having too much documentation / proof is rarely a problem.  But not having enough, well...

May 07 22 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Nicolas the dreamer

Thank you all, and especially LightDreams as you provide the local British Columbia perspective.
Your advice about getting the model release and photo of model's ID completed before the shoot is very wise.
I guess in this case I shall add it to my extensive list of "live and learn".

The model in question is at present in Vancouver.  I do not think she has had much photographic modelling experience.  But she is experienced in others types of modelling such as for life drawing and colleges. 

You do bring up some interesting points I had not considered.  For instance if there is reticence showing the ID, is her name on the model release correct?  This had not crossed my mind.  I am not paranoid therefore I tend to simply trust people.  In my life I prefer simplicity, so lying or inventing personas seems more trouble than it is worth.  Am I naive?  .....

The matter of displaying my work is a real one.  The quality of my work has improved significantly over the last 5 years (very little of it is displayed here on MM).  Having carried out 198 photo shoots in that period, covering models but also travel, mountaineering, architecture, etc, I have a decent body of work.  Many people ask me when I will start exhibiting.  So I might in the future want to expand my scope to, for instance, taking part in exhibitions.  In that case I can clearly see that a Model Release (with ID) would be required. 

Thank you for your detailed replies.  They help me to better understand the correct approach for the future.

Regards,

Nicolas

May 08 22 09:38 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

I am completely unfamiliar with how the art / life drawing nude models in Vancouver usually work.  I'm afraid that I didn't even think of them when I referred to "experienced Vancouver nude models".  That's a group, and an area, that I have zero experience with.

And, as you say, she usually works on that end of things which would probably explain the difference in what she is used to.

While I think you'd find that a local lawyer would stand by the documentation basics that I suggested for displaying nude photographs, I don't have the slightest clue what the legal issues or standards are, when it comes to figure model drawings or paintings.

May 08 22 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Nicolas the dreamer

Hi Lightdreams;

Now that I think about it there is one big difference between drawings/paintings and photography.

Photographs are real representations of the model's features.  Therefore it is immediately clear who the model is.
Drawings/paintings by their nature are much less clear regarding the identity of the model.
Artistic license (creativity) means that the artists draws/paints his imaginary view of the model.

I know said model has posed for open-leg drawings/paintings.  But it would impossible to idetify her from these works.

While the photographer is creating a true life-like image of the model.

And that is where authorisation of use of photographs is more critical, and probably judged more severely.

Does this make sense?

May 08 22 11:24 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Certainly makes sense to me.

Even if the person in a drawing or a painting is identifiable, the artwork could be created without them even being present or aware of it.  There may be all sorts of legalities, or not, I just have no idea.

But as you suggest, it's clearly quite a different ballgame.

May 08 22 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Roaring 20s

Los Angeles, California, US

Beginning of shoot:  Greetings, show the area, do "housekeeping" which is release + ID and you preoccupy yourself with some gear or scene setup while model reads it. Take picture of ID

Next: If not makeup ready or outfit ready, then model/team does that. You continue setting up shoot if its not done.

During shoot: Shoot (read other threads about dos and don'ts here)

Post-shoot: Pay, if applicable

This order avoids many landmines. Its also a commonplace enough order and scenario for all levels of professional modelling that you don't need to worry about how rigid and awkward it may seem, such as asking to photocopy an model's ID. Front loading the request can solidify your professional nature.

Pretty much any deviation from this lets you cancel the shoot right then with minimal loss and negligible consequence. The expectations can be sent before the shoot.

Regarding standard/legal or other, its about creating supportive evidence, as another person also wrote.

I've had multiple models say they left their ID in their car. And I ask for them to send me one of their digital copies on their phone. They've all had that. This is all better than trying to do this at the end of the shoot, and standard enough that other reasoning doesn't matter.

May 08 22 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

You're in Canada. All of those who replied so far are from the US. While most of the answers are broadly applicable, you need to understand Canadian copyright law, and other relevant statutes (possibly Provincial as well). Without getting into details, some of the advice is incorrect with respect to U.S. law as to usage rights. If you have questions, you should consult a lawyer.

May 08 22 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Nicolas the dreamer

Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated. 

The reason I particularly noted LightDreams comments is that he is also Vancouver-based.
Therefore he is addressing the topic with knowledge of the local laws.  According to his comments, he consulted a lawyer from British Columbia on this topic.

I am sure there are differences between jurisdictions.  Nonetheless the sequence Roaring 20s suggests makes sense, in any country. 

I will have to be more methodical in my approach in the future.  Get the paperwork out of the way at the beginning, then shoot and finally complete with the payment.

Best regards,

Nicolas

May 08 22 09:58 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Photographs are real representations of the model's features.  Therefore it is immediately clear who the model is.
Drawings/paintings by their nature are much less clear regarding the identity of the model.
Artistic license (creativity) means that the artists draws/paints his imaginary view of the model.
While the photographer is creating a true life-like image of the model.

And that is where authorisation of use of photographs is more critical, and probably judged more severely.

I disagree.  It depends on the artist and the circumstances.  The better the artist, the more photorealistic a painting can be.  For me, my ability depends on who the model is and how much practice I have had lately on portraits.  If I am drawing more and painting less, my faces can be very recognizable,  Sometimes it is torture getting them recognizable, but there are a lot of artists out there better then me.  There is a greater level of plausible deniability with a painting.

Yes, there is an opportunity to make use of artistic license and sometimes I will allow significant differences in a person's facial features when either she or I don't want the person recognizable.  Photographers have the same options when they are editing the photo.  A while back there was an asian model who posted in the forums about how photographers anglicized her and she was defiantly annoyed about it.  People also stick one person's head on another person's body with retouching.

Regarding what is needed for record keeping, I get a release and photo ID and photos of the model holding the release and ID just like ya'll do.  I have been told that for paintings I don't need a release.  Maybe I don't.  But, if I ever want to do anything with the photos I shoot, I do need a release and ID for some situations.  It is also true, as it has been stated by others, that it is better to have more than I need than less then I need.  I don't know for sure, but I also figure that if one of my paintings is ever used to promote a product, it would be wise for me to have the same protection that a model release gives me for a photograph.

It is much harder to hire a "life model" then a model for a photo shoot.  Life modeling doesn't pay nearly as much per hour and it is much harder work to remain still for 20 minute or more at a time and return to the same pose.

If I am drawing at a sketch club, where many artists are drawing/painting the same model at the same time, a release has never been offered.  ID has been offered only in the way of business cards.  Photography is normally forbidden at those places. 

No one has mentioned sensitive issues in a release in this thread.  If I am shooting a model that is posing nude, then that is specified in the release so that anyone who says she/he didn't agree can see that they did sign off on it.  Email chains and text message chains printed out are also records worth keeping.  You can read more about sensitive issues and releases in the Copyright Zone, along with rights regarding publicity.  Again, some of this is based on American law.  You should be familiar with American law anyway because some publishers may demand that the paperwork complies with American law because they are subject to American law.  Has anyone seen different paperwork from a stock company for Canada?  I would also assume that a company that does world wide advertising would want to comply at all times with the most stringent regulations rather than a hodgepodge of different ones- which could limit their ability to use images in the stringent markets.

You could also consider reading up on the Bern Convention stipulations if you aren't already familiar.  Yes, I am aware that model releases and copyright laws are not the same thing, but it is good to be familiar with both.

May 08 22 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Roaring 20s wrote:
Beginning of shoot:  Greetings, show the area, do "housekeeping" which is release + ID and you preoccupy yourself with some gear or scene setup while model reads it. Take picture of ID

This order avoids many landmines.

a release signed before the shoot is a potential landmine. a release signed after the work has finished stands on firmer ground. some releases require description of the scope of the shoot. a pre-signed release the deviates from the scope written on the release brings up the possibility of challenge.

May 09 22 04:28 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Dan Howell wrote:
a release signed before the shoot is a potential landmine. a release signed after the work has finished stands on firmer ground. some releases require description of the scope of the shoot. a pre-signed release the deviates from the scope written on the release brings up the possibility of challenge.

Agreed. All the releases I have seen/used over the years start with "For value received" the model releases the images taken to the photographer. For the model to sign at the beginning, she would have to be paid at the beginning.

Also it is unlikely that the model can 'release' images that have yet to be taken, unless you are specifying a date and time frame.

I always do paperwork at the end.

May 09 22 06:27 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

A reminder of my previously mentioned approach.  All of the paperwork and ID requirements are filled out and handled at the beginning, EXCEPT for the final signature.  That way there are no surprises in terms of valid ID, age, or the terms of the release.  If things aren't correct, there is no shoot. 

Then, at the end of the shoot, it's really quick and easy.  Just payment and signature.

That's also incentive for both parties to complete the work as agreed (payment at the end) and for payment to be made (no payment, no signature).  Neither side can benefit otherwise.

P.S.  I take Dan's point about any releases that require a "scope of work" section.  In such a situation, then that section could always be filled out at the end.

I'd also note that this method also covers the issues that Red Sky Photography raised, with the added benefit that you head off potential serious problems (with ID, proof of age, model release terms) BEFORE doing a shoot.

May 09 22 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

When shooting models for submission to major publications, professional photo shoots don't even begin before the model releases are signed.

The last thing you want to happen after an expensive shoot (location expenses, makeup artists, assistants, food, transportation, equipment rentals, etc.) is to have a model either change their mind, or try to extort more money from you to sign a release.

May 09 22 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
When shooting models for submission to major publications, professional photo shoots don't even begin before the model releases are signed.

The last thing you want to happen after an expensive shoot (location expenses, makeup artists, assistants, food, transportation, equipment rentals, etc.) is to have a model either change their mind, or try to extort more money from you to sign a release.

You and i have been around this issue before. I don't know if you are suggesting that I wouldn't know what happens on a professional photo shoot for major publications would look like or not. Your absolute parameters would not simply not fly on fashion shoots with agency models, at least in the NYC market that I have been working in for the last few years or so.

May 09 22 04:34 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn 2

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Why are you asking us what is mandatory in YOUR studio?

Some studios require them, others do not...
It is YOUR project, so set your rules & go from there.

May 09 22 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Nicolas the dreamer

Hi Iona-Lynn;

I am not sure if you are responding to my initial question, regarding
"Is the piece of official ID (such as photo of Driver's License) mandatory?"

The purpose of this thread is to find out what the "normal" and legal requirements are.
I do not flatter myself ... I am not a professional studio such as Ken Markus.

I am simply a dedicated amateur photographer, who was asking for clarifications.

This thread has been very helpful thanks to the practical advice I have received. 
To be suscinct I need to take a more methodical approach to Model Releases and IDs.
Especially as some of my work is nudes.

Regards,

Nicolas

May 10 22 05:03 am Link

Photographer

Nicolas the dreamer

Dear Iona-Lynn;

I checked out your portfolio after posting my reply above.
I did not know you have many years experience as model for life drawings.

You are then well placed to answer the question:

Is it normal practice to sign a Model Release and supply ID, for modelling in life drawing sets?

Nicolas

May 10 22 05:06 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn 2

Your missing the point with who runs professional studios:
Ken runs one & has his method.
Dan runs one & has his method.
I run one & have my method.

Three photo studios, three different ways each of us conduct our business. Each of us is correct, each of us is a professional.
There is no answer for what is normal, each studio is different.
What is important is to decide how YOU wish to run YOUR studio and set up a system. USE the same system for each & every shoot for that project.

It is also a good idea to design a full system for how your shoots are conducted:
Example: I want to shoot a splosh project, (messy foods on nude people)
I lay out how long my shoots are
Who I wish to shoot
How much I am offering to pay
Social media accounts
How often to shoot
Paperwork
How many finished images I wish to create for the Splosh project.
Location or studio

My current workflow would be very close to this:
Shooting days are Tuesdays in my NOLA studio
I gather a bunch of older splosh images I have taken as examples, start showing them around on social media.
Call up a bunch of my local friends, ask if they like the project & want to shoot it.
All shoots are 1 hour.
We shoot the content, we choose the ONE image that is the best for the project, they sign the model release, all in that hour. 3 days later the image is retouched & sent to the model.
Repeat each Tuesday until I have 20 photos that are for that project.
Fridays are spent shopping the project around to local galleries
Saturdays are spent networking in person to find models
If I stick to this plan, the entire project will be complete within 3 months, & I'll have 20 gallery images ready for exhibition/publication...

As for drawing & "fine art" I have never signed a release that I can recall.

May 10 22 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Nicolas the dreamer

Thank you Iona-Lynn;

You certainly have worked out a methodical approach to your work.
I admire that.  Because I did not consider this a business or professional venture when I started shooting nudes about 5 years ago (I am an engineer by profession) my focus was on the creativity side.
Developing skills for lighting for instance, or building the approrpiate "gear" inventory without breaking the bank.

Now I am slowly reaching the point where I need top proceed in a more methodical manner. 
And start talking about or offering my work.  Which means I must adopt a similar "business-like" approach to your own.

Thanks for your input.

Nicolas

May 10 22 10:13 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn 2

Too many people get caught up in being "artists" with no plan.

If you treat your "art" like an organized business, you'll be able to create a lot more art.

Here is another lesson:
When you're ready to do show and exhibits; do NOT count your acceptance letters, count your REJECTION letters, go out there an apply to anything that suits your art style, get yourself TEN rejection letters. Post each one on your wall.
PS when you do get accepted, don't count it, get your art on that wall, and continue to rack up those rejections...

May 10 22 06:28 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:

Dan Howell wrote:
You and i have been around this issue before. I don't know if you are suggesting that I wouldn't know what happens on a professional photo shoot for major publications would look like or not. Your absolute parameters would not simply not fly on fashion shoots with agency models, at least in the NYC market that I have been working in for the last few years or so.

There's a clause in my release that states that all poses were done so willingly and without duress (paraphrasing) and no one can truthfully agree to that until after the shoot has wrapped up. Therefore my proceedure for the past several years has been to review and fill out the release minus the signature prior to the shoot. It's signed after the shoot when the money exchanges hands.

May 10 22 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hi Iona-Lynn;

I am not sure if you are responding to my initial question, regarding
"Is the piece of official ID (such as photo of Driver's License) mandatory?"

This is a "better to have and not need than to need and not have" situation.

May 10 22 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

If you're shooting naked chicks and plan to try to sell what you shoot then yeah I guess better get a release and ID picture.

I've photographed plenty of naked chicks but got neither because I didn't plan to sell the images.

As far as model release, for example on an advertising shoot with agency models they will not sign a photographers release because that has nothing to do with the terms or usage. I've also shot plenty of editorial jobs for mainstream publications where subjects never signed a release and it still went in the magazine.

It really just depends on what you're doing.

I will say that it's funny... along with escorts and angel wings, the model release debate is one of the engines that keeps running around here.

I guess I would ask... do you really think you're going to make any money selling this picture of some naked chick you shot to some publication? I mean there is just SO much of that. You'd really have to be doing something special. If not, and you're an amateur photographer, I would worry more about capturing great images than getting the model to send you a picture of her drivers license before the shoot. If I'm a model and you're the photographer I'm not going to send you that. I can see why especially a woman would be uncomfortable doing that.

Jul 11 22 09:32 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:
If you're shooting naked chicks and plan to try to sell what you shoot then yeah I guess better get a release and ID picture.

I've photographed plenty of naked chicks but got neither because I didn't plan to sell the images.

As far as model release, for example on an advertising shoot with agency models they will not sign a photographers release because that has nothing to do with the terms or usage. I've also shot plenty of editorial jobs for mainstream publications where subjects never signed a release and it still went in the magazine.

It really just depends on what you're doing.

I will say that it's funny... along with escorts and angel wings, the model release debate is one of the engines that keeps running around here.

I guess I would ask... do you really think you're going to make any money selling this picture of some naked chick you shot to some publication? I mean there is just SO much of that. You'd really have to be doing something special. If not, and you're an amateur photographer, I would worry more about capturing great images than getting the model to send you a picture of her drivers license before the shoot. If I'm a model and you're the photographer I'm not going to send you that. I can see why especially a woman would be uncomfortable doing that.

Not to restate the obvious, but if you're going to PUBLICLY DISPLAY (in any form) nude photos of someone, then you'd better damn well have legal documentation.

Having solid documentation that the model has agreed that nude, identifiable, photos of herself can be displayed publicly, plus so much more (that we've already covered).

And anyone that believes they don't need ANY documentation to publicly display nude photos of someone, might want to have a little chat with their lawyer...

Jul 12 22 04:47 am Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:

Agreed. All the releases I have seen/used over the years start with "For value received" the model releases the images taken to the photographer. For the model to sign at the beginning, she would have to be paid at the beginning.

Also it is unlikely that the model can 'release' images that have yet to be taken, unless you are specifying a date and time frame.

I always do paperwork at the end.

From a legal perspective, the model release does not release the images.  It gives permission to use the model's likeness for the specified purposes.  You would need a release even if there was no camera involved, and you were using a CGI version of the model.

Under various state laws, you generally need a person's permission in order to use their likeness to promote goods and/or services.

Releases also serve some secondary purposes.  Generally the model will also grant permission for her likeness to be altered (i.e. the images may be retouched).  This allows you to edit the images without exposing yourself to claims of presenting the model in a false light.

Another purpose of the release is to document that the model knew that the images would be made public.  This precludes a claim that the model had an expectation or privacy.

If the model is concerned that you may capture images she does not want to release, then a contract is a good way to address that concern.  For instance, you may have a clause that states that the photographer shall destroy and not release any images in which the model's nipples are visible.

In terms of releasing the model's likeness, it doesn't matter whether the release is signed before or after the shoot.  The shoot does not affect her likeness.  Similarly, in terms of painting the model in a false light, it does not matter whether or not the release is signed before or after.

In terms of documenting that the model had no expectation of privacy, you may be better off signing the release before the shoot.

If you are going to have an agreement that you will not release images that are too revealing, it's best to sign that ahead of time, so that everyone is clear on the goal of the shoot.

Whether or not the release is signed before or after the shoot is a business decision.  If you are using an amateur whom you don't trust, you may wish to get the release signed before the shoot.  You don't want to be in a situation where you expend a lot of time and effort, only to have the model refuse to sign, or demand more money.

If you are shooting a professional model from a reputable agency, you may want to wait until the end of the shoot to do the paperwork.  Many agencies use standard forms that include both the release and document the hours worked by the model.

Aug 09 22 07:48 am Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

Dan Howell wrote:

Agree, I, and quite a few other models I know, will only sign a release at the time of payment. I prefer to sign at the end of a shoot in order to make sure everything goes according to plan. But in the event I sign at the beginning, the payment must also happen at the same time. There have a been a few times I was very happy I enforced this rule later.

As to the OP, it's pretty normal to show an ID at a photo shoot during release signing. I'm often not asked for mine, but it's not surprising when I am. I will not sign 2257 forms or show ID next to my face for them however.
I do not show ID for drawing groups - that I would find a bit odd, and I definitely wouldn't allow a photo of my ID at a drawing group. If a school is hiring me as a part time employee for drawing classes, they will usually have a copy of my photo ID and tax forms, and that's normal. But that documentation is done by administration at a school, not the professors/teachers.

Sep 26 22 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Liv Sage wrote:
Agree, I, and quite a few other models I know, will only sign a release at the time of payment. I prefer to sign at the end of a shoot in order to make sure everything goes according to plan. But in the event I sign at the beginning, the payment must also happen at the same time. There have a been a few times I was very happy I enforced this rule later.

If you don't trust the photographer, I can understand the desire to want to get paid prior to signing over the right to use your likeness.

To be fair, not all models are trustworthy.  If the photographer doesn't trust the model, you should empathize his desire not to spend time and effort on a model that might not allow pose as agreed, or not sign paperwork allowing the photographer to use the images as he intends.

Liv Sage wrote:
As to the OP, it's pretty normal to show an ID at a photo shoot during release signing. I'm often not asked for mine, but it's not surprising when I am. I will not sign 2257 forms or show ID next to my face for them however.
I do not show ID for drawing groups - that I would find a bit odd, and I definitely wouldn't allow a photo of my ID at a drawing group. If a school is hiring me as a part time employee for drawing classes, they will usually have a copy of my photo ID and tax forms, and that's normal. But that documentation is done by administration at a school, not the professors/teachers.

If you are posing for the types of images that require 2257 paperwork, the photographer is under a legal obligation to obtain that paperwork.  It might even be a felony for him to take those images prior to obtaining proper 2257 documentation.

As to being hired to model for drawing classes.  The issue there is whether you are old enough to legally work.

I don't believe that an underage child posing nude is inherently a crime.  For example the Nirvana album Nevermind features full frontal nudity of a male infant.  I don't believe that image is child porn, or illegal.   Pornography involving a minor is illegal.  I would be surprised if posing for a drawing class fell into that category.   Unless someone wants to use a recognizable drawing of you to promote goods and/or services, they likely don't need a model release from you.  Unless there is pornography involved, they likely don't need proof of age.  They may need proof of age if you are working more hours than a minor is allowed to work.

So, as far modeling for a drawing class, its the employment paperwork that's required (they need SSN number, and proof that you are allowed to work in the USA).  Other than that, the professor and students likely do not need to know your real name, or your contact information (unless you want them to be able to contact you are future work).

Sep 26 22 06:59 pm Link