Forums > Newbie Forum > Pennames/Stage Names/Etc.?

Model

DarcyMcDermond

Saint Charles, Missouri, US

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to find this topic on the boards but can’t find it specially please?

Just starting out on MM and decided to use a penname/stage name as I prefer to keep my real name under wraps but I understand I’ll have to put my legal name down when a release is signed, correct? Maybe it depends on the photographer? I’m well over legal age by the way and am going to put all work under this penname as it varies in the subjects and themes.

I want to keep my private life 100% separate from my professional and for that reason I think it’s ok? But has anyone ever run into problems when using a separate name?

Thanks for any advice I appreciate it!

Jul 24 22 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I always require any contract or model's release be signed with a real name backed up with a valid photo ID. I'm pretty sure they would not be valid / legal otherwise. I don't make public information model's prefer to keep private but would be obligated to in order to enforce a legal action. In over fifty years I've never had to make public any private info I've collected. But I'm also very easy to get along with.

Jul 24 22 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Yes, use a stage name and change to the stage name ASAP before your real name gets propagated on MM and on the Internet. I recommend that a "real sounding" name is much more serious than a "MySpace" name.

A few of my models have expressed some concern and I advise them to write on the model release: "use my stage name when giving credit."

It makes me sad when I see photographers using a model's real name under the photo or in the Verified Credits.

Jul 24 22 04:59 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

That is very common to do. My actual name is Sarah but it is thousands of years old so I wasn't worried about that. Yes, you have to use your stage name AND real name on releases. Most models do a fake name altogether. First and middle a lot of the times or some other reference they are into. Like Mark said' you probably want to figure that out soon. I have been doing this for 19 years and on this particular site for 17. So I had more options to think about. You will have to be a little more unique.

P.S. I am never in these forums so if you have any questions, feel free to send me a message and I will answer accordingly. smile

Jul 24 22 06:40 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

I've been modelling since 1987 and always used a stage name.  You are correct that when signing papers you must always use your real name for them to be legal.  Many photographers and artists will also snap a photo of your drivers license or other ID to prove your age and identity. 

Doing a stage name helps a lot, but I can assure you that if you do enough modelling in your local area, eventually you will be recognized in public somewhere, by a total stranger, or one of your friends will see some of your work. It's happened to me a number of times over the years.

Jul 25 22 05:04 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

In the UK, using a "legal name" is illegal. The term is used to refer to a name used by a person, which is not their real name. An alias.

Jul 25 22 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

“Trading As” – Company and Business Names
https://www.thecompanywarehouse.co.uk/b … ness-names

"It is quite a common occurrence in the UK for Limited Companies to adopt a “trading” name to run their business with."

Jul 25 22 08:56 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Mark Salo wrote:
“Trading As” – Company and Business Names
https://www.thecompanywarehouse.co.uk/b … ness-names

"It is quite a common occurrence in the UK for Limited Companies to adopt a “trading” name to run their business with."

You can give your company, or companies any name or names you like provided it doesn't infringe on someone else's copyright, but using a "legal name", or alias to refer to yourself personally is illegal in the UK in a business context. If you are an entertainer, you can use your stage name as your company or business name for tax purposes, but you still have to use your real name when signing contracts and for other legal and official purposes.

Jul 26 22 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

JSouthworth wrote:
If you are an entertainer, you can use your stage name as your company or business name for tax purposes.

This is the point.

Jul 26 22 11:46 am Link