Forums > Model Colloquy > Model took my deposit and didn’t show up

Photographer

BAI photography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I booked a photoshoot with this “model” in March, 2021, and she made me pay a deposit of 137.50$ and sign a contract that clearly indicates that her hourly rate is 150$. Yet in early May, she violated the condition of the contract by sending me an email and said she has increased her rate, and she now wanted me to pay her 300$/h otherwise she wouldn’t show up. When I requested cancellation of the photoshoot and a refund of the deposit, she said the contract did not require her to refund and stopped replying to my email.  I would attach the screenshots of the email but unfortunately I don’t think this forum has the function.

Aug 27 22 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

She suddenly doubled her rate??
Something must have happened!!

BAI photography wrote:
I would attach the screenshots of the email but unfortunately I don’t think this forum has the function.

You could post the screen shot as a JPG in your portfolio and link to the forum BUT that would be outing and is not allowed.
You ARE allowed to post on your profile that you do not recommend xxxxxxxxxxx.

Aug 27 22 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

CliveStJohn

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Last year, a travelling and very popular model visited my country. I would have been mad not to take the opportunity to shoot with her and get some great images.

She announced my city as a stop and I arranged to book a full day but asked in what part of the city she plans to stay (some areas are car exempt or notoriously hard to get parking). She kindly said she wouldn't book without checking with me first. Next thing I know she's in another county quite a drive away.

I wasn't happy but remained completely professional when I explained it wasn't the advertised part of the country and not as agreed. Apparently, I then lost the deposit and was pressured into cancellation fees.

I have since stopped booking models who I don't know or who don't come recommended as, like the OP, I have also lost deposits due to a variety of reasons not of my making.

Sep 04 22 05:36 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

CliveStJohn wrote:
She kindly said she wouldn't book without checking with me first. Next thing I know she's in another county quite a drive away.

You paid a deposit before she confirmed a session?

CliveStJohn wrote:
. . . like the OP, I have also lost deposits due to a variety of reasons not of my making.

Has this happened a lot?

Sep 04 22 06:41 am Link

Photographer

JT Life Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I think photographers (and clients) should remember the basic business guideline "he who pays the piper calls the tune".
No model (nor photographer) is worth so much that a substitute can not be found. If a request (demand!) seems too unreasonable, move on. Beauty (and skill) are all around.
Yes, a little regret that one didn't get to shoot with a particular model (or photographer), but way less headaches.
JT

Sep 04 22 06:50 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Asking for an online deposit has become a very popular internet scam.  It even happens on dating sites.  The model or potential date will ask for money to hold an appointment or for an uber before coming out and of course never show.

Sep 04 22 09:08 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

MN Photography wrote:
Asking for an online deposit has become a very popular internet scam.  It even happens on dating sites.  The model or potential date will ask for money to hold an appointment or for an uber before coming out and of course never show.

The amount of fuckery I have heard about on dating sites with men from my partners is ASTOUNDING to me. I have heard it all. I have definitely not heard this one though. Like what are they doing scamming guys for $20 here and there? roll

Sep 04 22 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

I have never paid any model prior to a shoot.  I won't pay a deposit to any model.  Deposits have been requested several times and the request declined; all then agreed to a shoot with payment on delivery.

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Sep 04 22 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Model Sarah wrote:

The amount of fuckery I have heard about on dating sites with men from my partners is ASTOUNDING to me. I have heard it all. I have definitely not heard this one though. Like what are they doing scamming guys for $20 here and there? roll

Horny Dudes=Epic Stupid
These people know what they are doing...Like Sharks sense weak prey

Sep 05 22 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Model Sarah wrote:

On dating sites, it goes like this:  Person matches with you and wants to switch to a messaging app or instagram right away.  After you switch platforms, they unmatch so you can't find them to report them.  They'll ask for a meet location near you, like a Starbucks, and set up a date ASAP.  Right before the date, they'll come up with a story about a problem with their bank card and ask you to forward some money, like $80 on a cash app for an Uber.  They'll say they'll reimburse you with cash when they get there.  I've had this happen a couple of times.  You know it's a scam when it happens, but I've suggested coming to their location or picking them up and they'll either try to haggle or just block you. 

I looked at dating app forums on reddit and apparently this is pretty common.  $80 doesn't sound like much, but these scammers will have dozens of fake profiles in multiple cities. A lot guys are going to fall for this, so it's probably pretty lucrative.

I had this happen with models on MM a couple of times and several times with instagram models.  In the case of the OP, it could be a scam.  Asking for a deposit for a paid shoot sounds reasonable enough, but doubling the rate is not.  This could be a scammer's MO.  Ask for a deposit and then double the rate.  Almost any photographer will cancel in that situation.  The supposed model can claim some sort of justification for keeping the deposit and then cut off communications.

Sep 05 22 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

MoRina

Neumayer - permanent station of Germany, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

These days the fake profiles are everywhere. If I was booking a model these days I would require a quick video call first or ask them to take a selfie holding up a piece of paper with something specific written on it. It's the only way you know you are talking to the actual person. I know at least one model who takes money upfront and then later claims her account was hacked. If you've verified you're talking to the actual person then at least you've done the most you can.

I wouldn't have a problem paying a small deposit for an established traveling model. But a newbie? No.

Sep 06 22 11:06 am Link

Photographer

CliveStJohn

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

Mark Salo wrote:

CliveStJohn wrote:
She kindly said she wouldn't book without checking with me first. Next thing I know she's in another county quite a drive away.

You paid a deposit before she confirmed a session?

As I mentioned, she was a 'very' popular model - actually a household name on the continent - and you basically pay a deposit to secure the date in her calendar. As a courtesy to me for booking a full day, she was to tell me what part of the city she will be renting a nice apartment to shoot in. Ended up being a 300km round trip away from the advertised area.

Sep 07 22 09:22 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

BAI photography wrote:
I booked a photoshoot with this “model” in March, 2021, and she made me pay a deposit of 137.50$ and sign a contract that clearly indicates that her hourly rate is 150$. Yet in early May, she violated the condition of the contract by sending me an email and said she has increased her rate, and she now wanted me to pay her 300$/h otherwise she wouldn’t show up. When I requested cancellation of the photoshoot and a refund of the deposit, she said the contract did not require her to refund and stopped replying to my email.  I would attach the screenshots of the email but unfortunately I don’t think this forum has the function.

That's a blatant fraud I think.

Sep 18 22 06:35 am Link

Photographer

NC Art Photos

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

And now you know why I don’t pay traveling models. Dead grandmothers, dying cell phones, whatever!

Sep 23 22 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

NC Art Photos

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

MoRina wrote:
These days the fake profiles are everywhere. If I was booking a model these days I would require a quick video call first or ask them to take a selfie holding up a piece of paper with something specific written on it. It's the only way you know you are talking to the actual person. I know at least one model who takes money upfront and then later claims her account was hacked. If you've verified you're talking to the actual person then at least you've done the most you can.

I wouldn't have a problem paying a small deposit for an established traveling model. But a newbie? No.

I never work with anyone who won’t do a phone or video call FIRST.  Even on a TFP shoot. 

I’ve had photographer friends who’ve been stupid enough to show up out in the boonies without first talking on the phone only to have the model’s just got out of prison/jail BF rip them off.  Stole camera gear, wallet and even car.  Then vanished without a trace and MM profile was removed ASAP.

Sep 23 22 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

MoRina

Neumayer - permanent station of Germany, Sector claimed by Norway, Antarctica

NC Art Photos wrote:
I never work with anyone who won’t do a phone or video call FIRST.  Even on a TFP shoot. 

I’ve had photographer friends who’ve been stupid enough to show up out in the boonies without first talking on the phone only to have the model’s just got out of prison/jail BF rip them off.  Stole camera gear, wallet and even car.  Then vanished without a trace and MM profile was removed ASAP.

Let's be clear. Those weren't models. They were criminals posing as models using fake profiles and other people's pictures. Criminals pose as photographers too. That doesn't make them actual photographers.

Sep 24 22 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

BAI photography wrote:

Contact a mod, send the screenshots. You outing the model is a violation of the rules. But the mods can certainly remove and ban bad members who steal from other members.

Sep 27 22 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

GSmithPhoto

Alameda, California, US

Interesting.  I have had the policy of paying models in advance, in full via PayPal, and have never yet been burned.  I guess doing due diligence first, paying within a given time frame, working with models who have integrity helps.  I simply note in the comment field:  Payment for modeling services (xx/xx/xxxx) *date* and general location.  The model shows up, we shoot, and  all is right with the world.
YMMV

Oct 10 22 08:55 am Link