Forums > Photography Talk > Q regarding finding a space to do photoshoots

Photographer

Andre_DeSousa

Hillside, New Jersey, US

I need some help guys.  My home is too small to do photoshoots and I'm too broke to rent a studio space.  Shooting outdoors isn't always an option especially during winter so what's a guy to do?

Sep 14 22 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

https://www.peerspace.com/s/?a=photo-sh … _interest=[40.7111899,-74.2493369,40.6750479,-74.209042]&viewport_bbox=[40.7111899,-74.251235,40.6750479,-74.209042]

Sep 14 22 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

I have a large photo studio near your listed location. It is available for hourly rental and occasionally there are group shoots held there:

https://www.peerspace.com/pages/listing … 000dc121dd

Sep 15 22 04:32 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Do what you can with the space you have.  That may mean 3/4 shots, boudoir, etc.   Every indoor shot in my portfolio was taken in a small house or townhouse of 1,200 square feet or less.  There are photographers who do motel room shoots when they travel.   A small home may be limiting, but that doesn’t mean you can’t shoot anything.   

Do shoots appropriate to larger spaces open to the public.   

Shoot outside when weather permits.

Sep 15 22 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Andre_DeSousa

Hillside, New Jersey, US

Dan Howell wrote:
I have a large photo studio near your listed location. It is available for hourly rental and occasionally there are group shoots held there:

https://www.peerspace.com/pages/listing … 000dc121dd

Hey Dan,

I looked at the link you sent me and I've been looking for a space like this for literally forever and the price isn't bad either.  I've bookmarked it and will reach out to you as soon as I put something together.

Sep 15 22 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Andre_DeSousa wrote:

Hey Dan,

I looked at the link you sent me and I've been looking for a space like this for literally forever and the price isn't bad either.  I've bookmarked it and will reach out to you as soon as I put something together.

Poke around Peerspace in Elizabeth and Newark. There are a couple of other interesting spaces as well.

Sep 15 22 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

ImageMakerStudio

Bloomington, Illinois, US

Define too broke?

I know many photographers that have a studio space, myself included, will rent out the space to other photographers for a 1/2 day or full day for a reasonable fee. That way you're not committed to a monthy rent bill and can make use of the space as needed. I know a few of the shooters I rent to will book my space for a full day then schedule multiple shoots throughout the day to maximize the use of their rental fee.

Just to illustrate my rates are

$100.00 per hour
$300.00 for 1/2 day (4 hours)
$500.00 for a full day (8 hours)

Those rates include lights, reflectors, flats, backdrops, props... basically everything except your cameras and your talent.

Dec 27 22 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Warren Leimbach

Tampa, Florida, US

Perhaps it's time to think smaller and forget the large sets for a while and shoot something that will fit in your house.

Table top.  See what you can do with toys, dioramas, splashes, food, still life.

Macro work.  Shoot ants, snowflakes, the light reflecting inside a metal tube, etc.

Work on your headshots. 

Detail shots.  Fingers on keyboards, lips blowing across a steaming coffee cup.

Shoot your kids, your pets, something you love.

There's always Photoshop to learn.

Hopefully in a few months you will have more opportunities to work outside again.

Dec 29 22 08:05 am Link