Forums > Photography Talk > Canon 5D Mark II battery

Photographer

TDC

Glendale, Arizona, US

I had planned on getting an extra battery or two for my 5D a while back but saw they were out of stock at several places (Canon batteries). Now it appears one of my batteries has died, won't charge on either of my chargers so i went online to order a replacement and they are still out of stock/back ordered.
Companies like B&H offer a Watson and a Manfrotto replacement, have any of you used these alternatives or have recommendations? I found a Duracell replacement that's only $27.00.
Any help is appreciated.

Duracell battery - https://www.duracelldirect.com/digital- … t%20Groups

Nov 12 22 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've purchased many aftermarket batteries for my various cameras (Canon, Sony, Olympus and more) and never really had any problems with any of them.  Some of them may not be as long lasting as OEM batteries, but the difference is marginal.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/lifestyle/rf- … ns-reviews

Nov 12 22 05:21 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I use 3rd party batteries, they work good. I think you will be fine with 3rd party. I have two that are some of the cheapest ones you can get on Amazon and they still work good.

Nov 12 22 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I've used (and use) 3rd party batteries many times in many cameras.
They've always worked fine.

Any battery is better than no battery.
I doubt that Canon makes their own batteries, they just have their name put on batteries made by other vendors.
Canon batteries might very well be "third party" batteries. If they have a better warranty and/or lower price that would be one thing...

Nov 12 22 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

TDC

Glendale, Arizona, US

Thank you everyone! I'll do a little more research and make a choice!

Nov 13 22 12:22 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I have extensive use comparing top rated third party batteries for Nikon with Nikon original batteries.   So this may or may not be similar when it comes to Canon...

The best of the third party brands was as good as or, in some cases, stored a bigger charge than the Nikon originals.  However, between 1 1/2 to 2 years later, the third party ones deteriorated significantly more (in terms of how much of a charge they would store) compared to the Nikon.  As time went on the difference became more and more pronounced.

BUT you also have to keep in mind that you typically got two of the better rated third party brand batteries for less than half the price of one Nikon original battery.  So you could certainly afford to replace them much more often.

How that all works out in the wash, is up to you to decide.  I wish I could tell you how similar, or not, that comparison is when it comes to Canon batteries.  But if you do go with a higher rated third-party brand, at least you have an idea of what to watch for, further on down the road.

Nov 15 22 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

I’ve used the “Whatever is on Amazon” after market batteries on both my Canon systems and my Phase One/Leaf system and have not seen any difference in charge or life span.   I expect they come from exactly the same factory.

Nov 19 22 08:24 am Link

Model

Samantha Grace

Los Angeles, California, US

LightDreams wrote:
I have extensive use comparing top rated third party batteries for Nikon with Nikon original batteries.   So this may or may not be similar when it comes to Canon...

The best of the third party brands was as good as or, in some cases, stored a bigger charge than the Nikon originals.  However, between 1 1/2 to 2 years later, the third party ones deteriorated significantly more (in terms of how much of a charge they would store) compared to the Nikon.  As time went on the difference became more and more pronounced.

BUT you also have to keep in mind that you typically got two of the better rated third party brand batteries for less than half the price of one Nikon original battery.  So you could certainly afford to replace them much more often.

How that all works out in the wash, is up to you to decide.  I wish I could tell you how similar, or not, that comparison is when it comes to Canon batteries.  But if you do go with a higher rated third-party brand, at least you have an idea of what to watch for, further on down the road.

I am insane and I use both Canon and Nikon. I went through a phase of wanting to learn both camera systems. I tried my hand at aftermarket batteries. I noticed with my Nikon the aftermarket didn't last as long after a few years. However, I have had my Canon since 2015 and I bought aftermarket batteries from Amazon. I am still using those batteries in 2022. They seem to hold a similar charge. If there is a reduction in quality, it isn't as noticeable as my Nikon was. In 2022, I am using my Nikon less. It has become more of my back up camera. I like to run with two cameras because I have had cameras malfunction when I am being paid by a client. I loved I could pick up my back up like nothing happened. My pay day isn't ruined.

Dec 03 22 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

A little late to this party, but:

When I had a 5D Mk IV, I also got a bunch of 3rd party batteries but began to suspect that they did not meet their stated capacity.  So, I built a test rig and tested them out, and they were ALL overstating the capacity.   The only batteries that teted to capacity were OEM Canon batteries - old ones, at that. 

The batteries I tested were the Kastar and Wasabi batteries that I had on hand.  If you care enough and want to see the test results, they are here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … sp=sharing

Jan 28 23 10:02 pm Link