Forums > Photography Talk > Common compensation?

Photographer

amy coe

Clatskanie, Oregon, US

I am a former professional photographer. When I had my studio, I never had a problem getting lots of free models, haha!

I am no longer working as a photographer- I have actually launched my own jewelry line. Since I have the background, I can do my own product photography. Now, I need to add other people in to model my works...people besides my own daughter, haha!

What is typical compensation for non-nude models in studio? Do I ask to test them TFP first then if we work out as a team offer to pay them for further works? What can I expect to pay non-professional, potentially non-traditional models? (They don't have to be tall and/or thin and I don't want them to be white, ha!)

Dec 05 22 11:39 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Same issue. I belong to an art group, i show other members what I make, if they realy like it I ask if they would model it.

Shameless plug

https://flic.kr/p/2nsKGN1

https://flic.kr/p/2nGdYzr

Dec 05 22 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Al_Vee Photography

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I compensate models for their time, not level of nudity. The lowest I'd expect anyone to work for is about $60/hour, but have paid $100/hr for pro level traveling models who have expensive overhead costs associated with their profession.

Feb 15 23 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

In a large degree it depends on your market. Here in the Bay Area, $50-100/hr will get excellent talent into the studio for this sort of work.

The other comments are all valid ideas, I guess it all depends on what your final production value is to be.  I prefer working with pros who understand the technical aspects of showing the product well for this sort of work, no matter what the aesthetic of the final work is to be, but that is just my preference.   A pro model understands you are not shooting them, you are shooting a product.   Non- pros often don’t understand the nuance.

Feb 16 23 07:45 am Link