Forums > Photography Talk > Source for V Flats

Photographer

Masciandaro Photography

Westfield, New Jersey, US

Other than a custom source like VFlat World, anyone know of an art supply store that has foam core big and think enough to use?

Dec 11 22 05:41 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Your local Lowes or Home Depot would b a place to start. I have used sheets of insulation material in the past.

Dec 11 22 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Not sure if this would be applicable for you but I build a lot of cabinets for a living and purchase 61"x 97" 1/4" thick melamine from my vendor for I think $40 a sheet , you can get it white one side and mdf other side which you can paint black ,etc. The cool thing is you can also lay it down and walk on it . It has a not quite semi-gloss sheen that does reflect light well. I have hung a white background and laid a sheet on top and it is pretty seamless with room for props.

Dec 11 22 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I also use foam insulation board from Home Depot or the like. Buy the 3/4 inch thick x 4 feet x 8 feet size, use a razor cutter to score it down the center but not cut it all the way through. Fold it where it's cut and it will stand perfectly. I bought some peel and stick solid white wall covering online and covered the board with it on one side. You could cover the other side with gray or black. Works great for maybe 30.00 per sheet.

Dec 11 22 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Masciandaro Photography wrote:
Other than a custom source like VFlat World, anyone know of an art supply store that has foam core big and think enough to use?

You're less than 30 miles from the city and you've never heard of The Set Shop on 20th St. in Manhattan?

https://setshop.com/foamboard-other-4x8-sheets/

Dec 12 22 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

michaels craft store

Dec 12 22 07:34 am Link

Photographer

Masciandaro Photography

Westfield, New Jersey, US

Dan Howell wrote:

You're less than 30 miles from the city and you've never heard of The Set Shop on 20th St. in Manhattan?

https://setshop.com/foamboard-other-4x8-sheets/

That’s exactly what I was looking for. None of the regular art supply stores had anything close to those dimensions. Thanks!

Dec 12 22 09:44 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

While I am a big fan of the foam core method I hope this year to get me some of these for portability

https://strobepro.com/collections/featu … pid-v-flat

Dec 12 22 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Modelphilia

Hilo, Hawaii, US

I don't know how close you are to NYC, but there should still be photo/film-supply shops or large art-supply stores there which would have the real thing, i.e. white foam-core in various thicknesses with a solid surface covering (versus the pebbly and pink look of insulation-board).

Dec 12 22 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

Any art supply stores should have some.

Dec 18 22 01:27 pm Link

Dec 20 22 08:12 am Link