Forums > Photography Talk > Is MM being run by the Ladies Auxiliary?

Photographer

Storytelling-Images

Port Charlotte, Florida, US

Lately, I've been seeing more and more photos being labeled "Worksafe" when they are actually a gym workout outfit or even modest bikini. I know you can toggle it on and off, but whatever AI they are using must have been programmed by a group of prude extremists. One portfolio has only one photo uncensored. The others are all censored, but are actually G-rated images.

MM - Please get your act together, thanks!

Feb 28 23 05:33 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Post hidden on Feb 28, 2023 09:05 am
Reason: off-topic
Comments:
I already addressed this in the relevant thread.

Feb 28 23 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

OP, Do you consider an advisory label to be censorship? Clicking the "off" on worksafe mode isn't difficult.

Feb 28 23 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

The default is labeling images "mature" - this is not the same as being censored.
The member can toggle the "M" to SFW in most cases for their own portfolio. In a few cases, the AI flagged the image as "mature" and the member can request the mods to take a look and unflagged specific images.

My portfolio is mostly labeled "M" - nudes are definitely NSFW. However, there might be a few images that are borderline, and I simply decided to leave them marked as "M" as not to rile the mods.

Just because you see an image marked "M" does not mean little old ladies decided it was so. It might just well be the member electing that setting regardless of the content.

Feb 28 23 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Storytelling-Images

Port Charlotte, Florida, US

Weldphoto wrote:
OP, Do you consider an advisory label to be censorship? Clicking the "off" on worksafe mode isn't difficult.

If you will closely re-read my original post, it's about mis-labeling "G"-rated images as "Worksafe" and  has nothing to do with  censorship. I assume it's being done by an AI using a poor set of instructions. There is a difference between "difficult" and un-necessary.

Mar 01 23 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

In your original post you wrote "One portfolio has only one photo uncensored. The others are all censored, but are actually G-rated images." That would suggest it does indeed have to do with what you consider censorship. I am suggesting that the "M" label is a warning for viewers and is not censorship. One can see the image by simply clicking worksafe to  "off".
I am in agreement that the nearly automatic "M" designation is not a good thing. I suspect it is the result of nervous lawyers rather than "the ladies auxiliary" (whatever that is) as you suggest.

Mar 01 23 10:56 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Lawyers? Doubt it.

The rule change corresponds with the advent of the iOS app. It has been posited that it was to make it possible to distribute the iOS app in the App Store, which has rules about nekkid pictures. 

Someone thought the lack of an iOS app was the reason that MM is decline or were otherwise tasked to get it online and so the rules were changed. 

Given the tremendous uptake of users after the iOS app was introduced and all of the rave reviews it gets, I think we can all see the effectiveness of those decisions.

Mar 02 23 07:13 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

I'm on the OP side on this. The mod bots are complete cookoo puffs.

Mar 02 23 07:47 am Link