Forums > Model Colloquy > Models thoughts on home studio

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

I'd like to know models thoughts on home studios? I know some very successful photographer who have their studios in their home.  I also have a friend who has a studio and said it may hurt trying to get clients due to it being in my house.  I can see his point to a degree, but does a studio in a building really change or prevent a creepy photographer from being creepy?
   I live on 5 acres on an all sports lake. I plan on setting up several outdoor shooting locations along with a field of natural flowers and a few garden trellis's around the yard as well as down near the lake.   Because it is my house, I am not forced to follow any building rules or regulations.

I could see it work well. For models, engagement photos, Sr  photo's. Just about anything I want to shoot can be done. But I'd like as much feedback as I can get from models.

Mar 01 23 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Eternal Photos

Belleville, Ontario, Canada

Not a model so I wont answer about their opinion on a photographer with a home studio, however I think you are comparing apples to oranges.  Those who may view badly on a basement  / living room / garage... converted / used as a home studio probably see 5 acres outdoors and beautifull settings differently.  It's like models who shoot urban street with Photographers.  Whether or not that photographer has a permanent studio location would not matter as they are wandering downtown "city abc" anyway.

Mar 01 23 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:
Does a studio in a building really change or prevent a creepy photographer from being creepy?

No.

I have had studios and have done shoots in my home. Models concerns typically do not hinge on location. One time when I did have a studio,  I met a prospective model at a coffee shop for a get acquainted meeting. During the meeting she asked: "Is your studio located in a dark alley?" Less than one minute later I said goodbye and left,

Mar 01 23 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

HiResPhotographs

Corona, California, US

SMH.  Jeezus.  OP asks for models' opinion and what does he get...

Mar 02 23 01:17 am Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

HiResPhotographs wrote:
SMH.  Jeezus.  OP asks for models' opinion and what does he get...

Thats ok, I've been out of the game for awhile.  Photographer perspective works too.

Mar 02 23 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Pretty soon maybe one or even both of the models still on here will chine in!

Mar 02 23 07:15 am Link

Photographer

j_francis_imagery

Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, US

Studio NSFW wrote:

borat

Mar 02 23 04:11 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Studio NSFW wrote:

popcorn

Mar 04 23 09:00 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn 2

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

How is the parking?

I've worked in hundreds of home studios, professional, warehouse, art studios.
Funny thing is... I almost prefer home studios, as they have more resources then MANY of the more industrial studio locations I have shot in.

Large commercial studios are great, but may not have a shower, no parking, no good heat/cooling...
Home studios are pretty good to shoot in.

If your worried about booking, then make sure your booking practices are nailed down.
If you have your casting calls & shoots organized, the fact that it is a home studio should not be the issue.

Example, the last FIVE people who have tried to shoot with me, have not even bothered to tell me ANY location, or length of shoot, or they gave VERY personal comments, no concept to work with.... These were the reasons I did not shoot with them, not that the studio was located in a "home".

*puts on photographer hat*
I ran a very successful photo studio in a 1 room studio that I also lived in, no one had issues with it.
I kept the place clean & looking professional.

Mar 04 23 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

Jay2G Photography

Highland, Michigan, US

Iona Lynn 2 wrote:
How is the parking?

I've worked in hundreds of home studios, professional, warehouse, art studios.
Funny thing is... I almost prefer home studios, as they have more resources then MANY of the more industrial studio locations I have shot in.

Large commercial studios are great, but may not have a shower, no parking, no good heat/cooling...
Home studios are pretty good to shoot in.

If your worried about booking, then make sure your booking practices are nailed down.
If you have your casting calls & shoots organized, the fact that it is a home studio should not be the issue.

Example, the last FIVE people who have tried to shoot with me, have not even bothered to tell me ANY location, or length of shoot, or they gave VERY personal comments, no concept to work with.... These were the reasons I did not shoot with them, not that the studio was located in a "home".

*puts on photographer hat*
I ran a very successful photo studio in a 1 room studio that I also lived in, no one had issues with it.
I kept the place clean & looking professional.

Thanks for the reply. Parking is ample. My actual cement pad driveway holds 5 cars, but the area in front of my house between my 2nd driveway and the space between I could park close to 20 cars.

Mar 05 23 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I shoot a lot of models in my home studio and have never had a model react negatively to it being at home and I usually mention it up front so as not to wast either of our time if it is an issue or to address it if it is an issue ( and it never has been)

BTW 13 of the 30 photos on my port were at my or another home studio.

Mar 05 23 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Fred Ackerman

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

My first New York apartment, was a 'studio' in Chelsea, way back in the seventies. When Eileen Ford took me on, I was nervous to reveal that I didn't have a real studio, just my place to shoot. All she cared about, was it in a safe neighborhood, air conditioned and had a bathroom! Up the road, I did have a 'real' studio, not far from my first apartment. Sure much more flexibility with large lighting equipment, props, etc. As a child, I remember doctors, lawyers and other professionals working out of their houses, who cared?

Mar 05 23 01:53 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm fine with home studios as long as they're in a safe neighborhood, have parking or easily navigable public transit, and are clean.

As long as those conditions are met, I see no issue with a home studio most of the time.

I have met photographers who say they have a home studio, and it's a 10x10 foot cleared space in a hoarding house.
Or the bathroom is so dirty there's a measurable amount of dust sitting atop the cleaning products in the corner.
Or it smells absolutely horrifying - cat pee being a culprit here (and as a cat lover, this is not kind to cats to have a home covered in their pee/dirty litter).
Or I find out their wife doesn't know they work with models, and it's extremely uncomfortable at that point to be in their home.

Fortunately these have been rare occurrences.

Mar 13 23 09:49 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Everything that's been brought up by the other models who already replied are valid concerns.

There is nothing wrong with a nicely presented home studio in a safe location.  If there are red flags raised during preliminary discussions, then further research needs to be done by the model, just like you would anywhere else.

I've posed outdoors naked at several rural home studios with excellent results, some of those photos are in my portfolio currently. I've also posed indoors naked at many other nicely assembled home studios.

Here's one example, is there anything about this photo that would lead you to find a problem with the home studio I was being photographed in?  Two photographers were present, there was professional lighting, great props and backgrounds, what else would a model need?  Warning 18+ https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/47492496

Mar 14 23 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Most of my shoots over the past 15 years have been in a home studio.  It’s never been a an issue with experienced MM and other independent models.   I’ve lost a few shoots with new models or models who haven’t done much independent work previously.   Overall: not a problem.

Mar 15 23 12:10 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

I think you should have a web page or an Instagram account you can send a prospective model to which shows your shooting space, whether it be indoor or out.

To me, I don't think the level of risk to the model changes much whether it's at a home or commercial space. Negative things happen when people are intent on being inappropriate or causing harm. It has nothing to do with the shooting location and everything to do with the people involved. Models should check references and ask questions to determine if they should shoot with a particular person. They should let someone know where they are and check in with them at regular intervals. They should leave if they are uncomfortable.

As far as shooting spaces, make sure they are clean, the address is well marked and you've advised the model where to park. And for goodness sakes, people... clean your bathrooms and provide soap and paper towels (we don't want to dry our hands on your crusty, dirty towel.)  Keep your model changing area tidy. I've been to some really nasty dirty studios, both home and commercial, but I can tell you it has no corellation with a photographer being "creepy" or inappropriate.

Mar 17 23 05:03 am Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Model MoRina wrote:
It has nothing to do with the shooting location and everything to do with the people involved. Models should check references and ask questions to determine if they should shoot with a particular person.

Yep!

But just one worthless opinion.

smile

Mar 19 23 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Adventure Photos

Palos Park, Illinois, US

it sounds like a superb location, with plenty of outdoor spots to use in addition to studio.  But yeah, for some the 'in home' studio may be questionable.   Having a separate room(s) that are attached to home, but have a totally separate entrance can be a way to make business totally separated from home life. Separate entrance not convenient, but shows you make an effort to put work in one place alone.  Me, I'm all for more outside work whenever I can.

Mar 19 23 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

RMMCREATIVE

Columbia, South Carolina, US

Our models keep coming back. Over and over, sure there's a reason!

Mar 23 23 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

While I had a commercial studio, and retail fashion house at one time, in NC, we decided to move to Dallas, and work there, and we had home studios there.

I have had home studios for years. I do now, because I have created a decoration scheme that gives me a lot of flexibility in doing natural indoor settings. That works best for what I do. I also have a very private garden area in back, where I can work outdoors, with ease, and do any genre, in.

I live now, in the best neighborhood, I have ever lived in. Anyone coming here, should feel quite comfortable. The drive is a little up hill, but we are in the foothills of the mountains, where we are. I do provide detailed directions to visitors, as our rural roads are not the best in SC, and we want people to feel comfortable in their navigation to get here.

My wife also assists me, and assists the model as well, and she is quite used to, that role. Just the two of us, and the model. Keeping it as simple as we can, and still produce quality images.

In Dallas I had a home studio as well, and anytime I needed more space, which I usually did when shooting catalogs with several models, on fashion shoots, I went to rental. Especially when doing bridal, as we really needed room doing an entire collection of bridal. I also used real room setting locations, which I also rented for the project I was working on. My style is to do real room settings, whenever possible, even in doing fashion. I find studio backgrounds rather boring, and don't intend to ever use them again. I have a couple of lingerie catalog shots on my page done in a furnished club facility, which I rented for the catalog shoot. I also shot in a lot of hotels, in the common areas, where we didn't impede traffic, doing formal gowns, and in suites when doing glamour.

Here, where I am now, I will likely never have more than 2 models at once, which will work fine in my home studio, as I do not anticipate doing any more bridal gowns, at my age. LOL.

Rick

Sep 08 23 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

robotimpurity

Tucson, Arizona, US

Liv Sage wrote:
I'm fine with home studios as long as they're in a safe neighborhood, have parking or easily navigable public transit, and are clean..

Whenever I have booked shoots in my home studio setup, part of the preparation process is a thorough house cleaning to make sure the place is presentable. In fact, when I was more active doing studio shoots, my place sparkled.

Dec 13 23 12:29 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jay2G Photography wrote:
I'd like to know models thoughts on home studios? I know some very successful photographer who have their studios in their home.  I also have a friend who has a studio and said it may hurt trying to get clients due to it being in my house.  I can see his point to a degree, but does a studio in a building really change or prevent a creepy photographer from being creepy?
   I live on 5 acres on an all sports lake. I plan on setting up several outdoor shooting locations along with a field of natural flowers and a few garden trellis's around the yard as well as down near the lake.   Because it is my house, I am not forced to follow any building rules or regulations.

I could see it work well. For models, engagement photos, Sr  photo's. Just about anything I want to shoot can be done. But I'd like as much feedback as I can get from models.

I've had more professional treatment in home studios than in non home studios, fwiw.

Although I feel like many of my replies "as a model" here have been as an outlier with little to no other model agreement though so take it with a grain of salt.

Actually, I've felt far less acceptance from other models on this site as a whole. They have been the reason I've left the forums several times, (maybe those are just the ones who rule the forums though.) Anyways I've felt far more safe and accepted from photographers online and in real life than I have from other models online for sure.

I'm speaking my truth here and will likely attract negative attention from the hot air team from it, (so what though.)

Jen

Jan 11 24 02:41 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

What is a studio? Usually nothing more than a room with some lighting equipment in it. Purpose built photographic studios may exist, but I've never seen such a facility. Most commercial studios are conversions.

Jan 11 24 03:59 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

JSouthworth wrote:
What is a studio? Usually nothing more than a room with some lighting equipment in it. Purpose built photographic studios may exist, but I've never seen such a facility. Most commercial studios are conversions.

Old chap, we know by now you can't help yourself, but the topic is:  "Are models ok with home studios?" Nobody gives a rat's whether you have ever seen a "purpose built" studio or not, and "Most commercial studios are conversions" is arguable, beyond your ability to even begin to prove, and also quite irrelevant.

Finally, " What is a studio? Usually nothing more than a room with some lighting equipment in it" is a storage area; a CLOSET.

Jan 11 24 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Focuspuller wrote:
Old chap, we know by now you can't help yourself, but the topic is:  "Are models ok with home studios?" Nobody gives a rat's whether you have ever seen a "purpose built" studio or not, and "Most commercial studios are conversions" is arguable, beyond your ability to even begin to prove, and also quite irrelevant.

Finally, " What is a studio? Usually nothing more than a room with some lighting equipment in it" is a storage area; a CLOSET.

Oh dear, here we go again. More neurotic pseudo-intellectual twaddle about nothing in particular.

Jan 12 24 04:15 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

I read a book by a professional photographer doing magazine glamour work who had a studio in London, but sold it because he found he was using other indoor locations most of the time. A permanent studio is not essential for some types of work. But if you have five acres to work with, it makes sense to use them.

Jan 12 24 04:21 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

JSouthworth wrote:
I read a book by a professional photographer doing magazine glamour work who had a studio in London, but sold it because he found he was using other indoor locations most of the time. A permanent studio is not essential for some types of work. But if you have five acres to work with, it makes sense to use them.

I guess a studio is also good if you are going to lease it out to other people for their shoots. Then you are a acting as leasing agent and not a photographer though.

When I lived in an amazing building in Hopkinsville KY I seriously thought of leasing the first floor out as a gallery and the second floor out at studios. The space was beautiful. However, my day job interfered with that. Best I could do was host three photographers that came through.

Jen

Jan 12 24 04:35 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Jen B wrote:
I guess a studio is also good if you are going to lease it out to other people for their shoots. Then you are a acting as leasing agent and not a photographer though.

If you lease it to other people then you have to be very careful that they're not using it for anything that would be illegal, you would have quite a serious management problem, in the UK anyway.

Jan 12 24 04:47 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:

Oh dear, here we go again. More neurotic pseudo-intellectual twaddle about nothing in particular.

So you ARE self-aware after all.

Jan 12 24 08:14 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Focuspuller wrote:
So you ARE self-aware after all.

Off the topic again?

Jan 13 24 04:52 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:

Off the topic again?

Projecting again?

Jan 13 24 09:41 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:

Really great advice! Don't own a studio if you don't shoot in a studio. Thanks, Captain.

Jan 13 24 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:

If you lease it to other people then you have to be very careful that they're not using it for anything that would be illegal, you would have quite a serious management problem, in the UK anyway.

More good advice. Don't lease your studio to a meth cook or child. pornographer. Thanks, Captain.

Jan 13 24 10:01 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

popcorn

Jan 13 24 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

JSouthworth wrote:

If you own a studio, you may legally responsible for any misuse of your facility. So you need to ensure that all use is legal. In practice that will probably mean that you have to exclude some people. This is going off topic though, because the OP's question related to models' views on home studios.

Jan 14 24 06:22 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

popcorn

Jan 14 24 10:35 am Link