Forums > Photography Talk > Ageing images

Photographer

RMMCREATIVE

Columbia, South Carolina, US

I've been around the block a few times in my day. Modeled* acted* directed and I have even danced in a few numbers. Back in the 80's if I had as much as turned out a ( professional photograph) older than 2 years to a director he would handed it back, laughed at me and said are you kidding me? Yes, I use to hear that a lot. Another one I use to hear was " Are you kidding me with these photos, you call yourself an actor or model?  It took me roughly 10 years before I really got the hang of it, but I did and became relatively successful working among a myriad celebrities. So it's 2023 on MM and Im still seeing images from 2010 | 2013 |2016. Question is, is it a lack of caring anymore, has everyone died? Or maybe it's just a lack of good ideas like we use to have back in the day?  Mind everyone I can do a lot with a little if they would only make the first effort. There is still something called professional " ambition  " out there. It's frustrating

Mar 11 23 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

RMMCREATIVE wrote:
. . . Im still seeing images from 2010 | 2013 |2016. . .

Think of all the famous pictures that need to be destroyed.
And paintings too?

RMMCREATIVE wrote:
. . . It's frustrating

Why is it frustrating?
How does this affect you?

Mar 11 23 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Ageing images

I think that it is models who age, not photographs.

Mar 11 23 07:48 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Photography is art and art is ageless.

Models and photographer do age and while like fine wine we get better our appearance changes. Not important for photographer behind the camera but is important for those in front of it. Older photos tell us more about a model than just her appearance it shows her talent as a model , newer photos tell us her current look which may or may not suit a photographers needs.

MM is also a social media site and many keep profiles her etc keep up with long time friends

Mar 11 23 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

What I look for is the up to day photographs. Models do age and also I look for what tattoos or piercings or hair style changes have happen. For older pictures an album can be created for that.

Mar 15 23 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Call the Muse and tell them to trash all the Van Gogh stuff !!!

Mar 15 23 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

Frozen Instant Imagery

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Mark Salo wrote:

I think that it is models who age, not photographs.

But it is difficult to tell if you want to hire a particular model if the most recent images in their portfolio are over 10 years old.

I've made that mistake. Hired a model based on her portfolio, and the model who turned up to shoot was 50% heavier than any of her images (which I went back and checked - most recent was 11 years before). These days I check the dates on the shots quite carefully, but even those can be unreliable, because they only say when the image was uploaded, not taken.

Mar 20 23 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Filmz x Jonze

Atlanta, Georgia, US

RMMCREATIVE wrote:
I've been around the block a few times in my day. Modeled* acted* directed and I have even danced in a few numbers. Back in the 80's if I had as much as turned out a ( professional photograph) older than 2 years to a director he would handed it back, laughed at me and said are you kidding me? Yes, I use to hear that a lot. Another one I use to hear was " Are you kidding me with these photos, you call yourself an actor or model?  It took me roughly 10 years before I really got the hang of it, but I did and became relatively successful working among a myriad celebrities. So it's 2023 on MM and Im still seeing images from 2010 | 2013 |2016. Question is, is it a lack of caring anymore, has everyone died? Or maybe it's just a lack of good ideas like we use to have back in the day?  Mind everyone I can do a lot with a little if they would only make the first effort. There is still something called professional " ambition  " out there. It's frustrating

Hey , having worked in the business I honestly get your point. BUT, the game has changed tremendously these days; there are no "stars" anymore (not my opinion, the mega stars say it themselves) and your phone is all you need with a filter..lol.

As far as this site goes, if you spot a model who has pics from 2001 & you want to shoot her, well if you didnt ask for new pics thats not on that person.

Mar 22 23 10:05 am Link

Photographer

RMMCREATIVE

Columbia, South Carolina, US

Thank you, these are all tremendous answers to an ongoing issue. I guess to clarify my point is that I want any model I work with to at least ( reassemble ) what they're showing on their page. Yes, weight, height, hair and mainly age. I alway's request at least 2 or 3 current selfies right before the shoot just to protect all concerned, primarily the client.

Mar 25 23 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

fotopfw

Kerkrade, Limburg, Netherlands

I honor my models keeping their images on here. I add new ones as I make them. To honor the new models I've worked with.

Mar 27 23 08:06 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

RMMCREATIVE wrote:
I guess to clarify my point is that I want any model I work with to at least ( reassemble ) what they're showing on their page...

https://media.tenor.com/axRcm-0G7OEAAAAC/wait-what-dog.gif

Mar 27 23 03:30 pm Link

Model

Nat the droid

Sacramento, California, US

This is a free to join site that isn't necessarily a professional networking site

Instagram is kind of the new way to network vs here. It's much easier to update, I can post reels so people can see what I look like in motion.

For better or worse this isn't like a fit model agency I was briefly with that expected you to update them on any changes in measurements that were greater than a half inch lol

They only bring out the measuring tape to see how far apart shoulders are

Mar 27 23 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Oldano Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

RMMCREATIVE wrote:
So it's 2023 on MM and Im still seeing images from 2010 | 2013 |2016. Question is, is it a lack of caring anymore, has everyone died?

It's frustrating

I daresay it would be more than a little frustrating, to say nothing of costly, to see someone remove Ansel Adams "Moonrise, Hernandez" from the museums of this world.

Rick

Mar 27 23 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Nat the droid wrote:
They only bring out the measuring tape to see how far apart shoulders are

:snicker:

Mar 27 23 09:14 pm Link