Forums > Photography Talk > Recommended cameras for beginning photographers?

Model

B-F-G

Stacy, Minnesota, US

While I work primarily as a live figure model for art classes, I have some interest in photography. While I doubt I’d ever make much of a living - so it’s not worth a heavy financial investment and I don’t expect to get published - it does seem like a fun hobby, and I enjoyed the class I took. So I would like to get a camera that’s higher end than a cell phone which can take different length exposures and has high quality stabilization (and my ancient 7MP digital camera from 2006, a Canon Powershot A620 that lacks stabilization, probably won’t cut it).

Does anyone have a recommendation for an introductory level camera, preferably under $300 with tax, that they would suggest? Ideally I’d like to get at least one studio light to go with it.  If it helps, my primary interests are in close up bodyscapes with strong light contrast, and outdoor/natural nudes where the model is only a small part of the photo.  That means a camera that can work pretty well close up and at a distance.

Apr 07 23 10:54 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

$300 for both a camera AND studio light is gonna be rough to find, at least for anything new or used in reasonable condition.
There used to be many low cost ($40-60) manually operated Chinese made studio strobes that would work well for your purposes on Amazon, but I haven't seen any of them recently.  The current models I've seen that fit that description are really, really crappy and even dangerous to use.

You may be able to find an older pre-owned Canon Rebel, Nikon 3000 series, or other brand of DSLR with a kit lens for the remaining $260, but even that may be a bit of a chore.

Apr 07 23 11:35 am Link

Model

B-F-G

Stacy, Minnesota, US

Thanks, I appreciate the reply. In light of that I think I’ll stick with just trying to find a good (preferably used) camera/lenses for now, and worry about a light or two later.  Main purpose right now is to find out if this will be enough of a hobby to justify serious investment into.

Are there any brands or specific models at the low end to definitely avoid? I’m not aware of any mainstream brands with bad reputations.

Apr 07 23 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

I dont think you can get a bad camera from any of the major brands but the lower cost ones are more limited.
Limited in usable ISO Range, limited in AF points and how effective they are and lower build quality.
The best advice is the newest model that fits you budget and not forget then lens as they will often cost more than the body

Apr 07 23 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

B-F-G wrote:
high quality stabilization (and my ancient 11MP digital camera probably won’t cut it).
Your ancient 11MP camera is probably better than anything in your $300 price range.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an introductory level camera, preferably under $300 with tax, that they would suggest?
Call B&H or KEH and ask what they have in used stock.

Ideally I’d like to get at least one studio light to go with it.
Stay with your current camera. For $300 you might barely be able to get a cheap light, stand, trigger, and modifier.

That means a camera that can work pretty well close up and at a distance.
This depends on the lens more than on the camera

Actually, I recommend that you use your $300 for training.

Apr 07 23 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

B-F-G wrote:
So I would like to get a camera that’s higher end than a cell phone...

Keep in mind that your cell phone cost more than $300.

Apr 07 23 01:30 pm Link

Model

B-F-G

Stacy, Minnesota, US

That's true, regarding the cell phone.  Perhaps I shouldn't disregard it or my ancient camera (which I just found is only 7MP, not 11MP - corrected above), if I'm just looking to learn if this is a hobby worth investing into.  I also like the idea of spending that $300 on classes / learning first, rather than on buying equipment first.  Thanks everyone!

Apr 07 23 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

A few years ago I bought a used Canon Rebel camera with lens (carrying case and more) for $75 from a private party who had listed her camera on Craigslist.  (Original list price was about $800.)  Great camera; can get some fanatic images using it.  (It was a backup camera for me.).

But just one worthless opinion.

wink

Apr 07 23 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Los Angeles, California, US

Nikon D3100 DSLR, 14.2MP, with 18mm-55mm zoom, US$140:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185814524927?epid=100173598

Godox MS300 Studio Strobe, with reflector, US$109:
https://www.amazon.com/Monolight-Outsta … 085DZ5Z58/

Flashpoint R2-SPT transceiver (works with most recent Godox strobes), US$25:
https://www.adorama.com/fprrr2spt.html

Total cost:  US$274

US$26 left over to buy an umbrella and/or other accessories.

Apr 07 23 05:29 pm Link

Model

B-F-G

Stacy, Minnesota, US

Thank you! Those leads are greatly appreciated.

Apr 07 23 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'd agree with something like one of the beginner Nikon D3xxx (D3100, D3200, D3300, D3400 or D3500) camera models for STILL photographs (some issues with video).  Or the Canon / Sony equivalents.

And the Godox MS300 that was suggested is a great buy for a starting strobe light (it needs one of the matching transmitters to control it, one of which has been suggested above).

The only note that I'd want to add, is that the MS300 is strictly a "plug into the wall" (not battery) and completely "Manual exposure" (not automatic) lighting strobe.  Now if you're not using it outside, it's a great start.  And the "manual exposure" part isn't as scary as it sounds.

But I would get someone to get you up to speed on how to set a manual exposure strobe.  It's not difficult once you know how to get a proper exposure with it (i.e. AFTER you know how!).  But if you were just handed it, without some kind of a studio strobe exposure tutorial, then it might be a bit too much of a frustrating start.

Just something to plan for with that strobe (and it is a good buy for what you get, once you are able to use it).

Otherwise, you may have to look for some kind of an automatic (i.e.  TTL) exposure strobe.  But to get the equivalent features AND TTL, well that only gets more expensive, I'm afraid.

Anyway, just my two cents worth!

---

[EDIT] Damn.  The fine print on that particular D3100 Ebay camera ad says that it's missing the battery and charger, which you'd have to also buy.  Plus a light stand for the MS300 (with an umbrella or equivalent).  But it's the right general idea...

Apr 07 23 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

The Other Place

Los Angeles, California, US

Oops!  Forgot the light stand!

Here's one for US$26:
https://www.amazon.com/Fovitec-Photogra … BR6W/?th=1

Apr 08 23 12:16 am Link