Forums > General Industry > Why aren't models more active on ModelMayhem?

Model

Simon Rob

Durham, England, United Kingdom

Post hidden on Jun 12, 2023 03:32 pm
Reason: gobbledegook

Jun 12 23 03:29 pm Link

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.)

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Note!
Ignore the trolls first and foremost, and then report them to us.

Jun 12 23 03:31 pm Link

Model

Simon Rob

Durham, England, United Kingdom

Post hidden on Jun 12, 2023 03:40 pm
Reason: off-topic

Jun 12 23 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I have been on Mayhem for a long time and models have NEVER been very active on the forums. This is not anything new. To be sure there are even fewer on now, but then there are fewer people in general using the forums. And who can blame them. There is very little of interest posted and the discussions (using that word lightly) often are like this one; contentious, boring, insipid, rude and dominated by verbose, self-serving people. Then there is the need for some to turn everything in a political battle ground.

The forums would serve all of us better if they were used to talk about ways we can be better at our craft as models, photographers, make-up artists. Ways to inspire one another. A healthy exchange of ideas and concepts would be welcome, at least by this old fellow.

Could we at least give it a try?

Jun 12 23 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Weldphoto wrote:
I have been on Mayhem for a long time and models have NEVER been very active on the forums. This is not anything new. To be sure there are even fewer on now, but then there are fewer people in general using the forums. And who can blame them. There is very little of interest posted and the discussions (using that word lightly) often are like this one; contentious, boring, insipid, rude and dominated by verbose, self-serving people. Then there is the need for some to turn everything in a political battle ground.

The forums would serve all of us better if they were used to talk about ways we can be better at our craft as models, photographers, make-up artists. Ways to inspire one another. A healthy exchange of ideas and concepts would be welcome, at least by this old fellow.

I like the way you think.
I've started a thread for those of us who would like to share our learning in a positive way. It is also in General so everybody is welcome to contribute, share and learn.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/983434

Jun 12 23 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Weldphoto wrote:

Although the original posting was a bit rambling, I don't believe the statement or question was limited to forum participation. I do believe there are parts of Model Mayhem that models are more likely to frequent like Casting and Travel. Forum participation from models is not going to be the make or break activity for MM. New models setting up profiles and existing models keeping and up to date profile adds the most value to the site. The greatest benefit for me the site provides is the browse function, especially when I am traveling. Forums are a, sometimes amusing, diversion, but the real value is the search function. Try doing a geographic search for models on Instagram.

Jun 13 23 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Nat the droid wrote:
I reported a casting, and got the response from a moderator asking what was adult about this casting. I responded, to be clear, someone asking models to do solo sex acts involving speculum toys isn't adult work? Then got an "oh oops my bad sorry for wasting your time" response.

If I can't trust the moderators to read one of the less than 2,000 castings on a dying dinosaur of a website, when a model with severe brain fog has more cognitive ability can spot what is adult about a casting, please tell me why I bother reporting anything?

We make mistakes.  We're human.  We do get a lot of casting calls reported as "adult" for which there is no adult context, and we generally have to go back and ask the person reporting it why it was reported as such.  What happened in this case, I can't say - but it's definitely not unusual to have to ask.

Jun 19 23 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

The biggest reason for less activity on the forums is because of a progressive decline in new memberships while the majority of models and photographers who have been here are aging out, moving on to other things, or even dying off.  If this website does not find a method to market towards the youth, it will eventually close due to the lack of new memberships.

Jun 23 23 09:57 pm Link