Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Tips/Advice for getting into the business.

Retoucher

Dakota McCullough

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody had advice or tips on getting into retouching as a full-time career and/or how you got into the business. With so many people into photography and marketing nowadays it seems like there should be plenty of jobs but I hardly ever find any Jr. or Sr. Retoucher listings online when doing job searches. The most I've been able to come up with are digital editor jobs, I.e. general graphic design, digital marketing work - but nothing much that is specifically just retouching. Am I looking in the wrong places? Is there a specific job title I should be searching for? It seems like there is a hidden barrier to entry for retouching editorial work, with most gigs being low paying, high volume e-commerce work or digital media managers.

A few questions I've considered:
-Is it really just a matter of networking and word of mouth?
-Does using free photos from forums like these really help your portfolio, especially when a lot of people are using the same photos? and/or have you found work specifically from posting your work on model mayhem?
-Did you have to pay your dues starting out in e-commerce before moving into fashion/beauty/editorial work?
-Did you go to school for photography, graphic arts, digital media, etc.?

Essentially, if you're working or have worked in the industry, what was your path? How did you get your start?

Hopefully I can get some actual constructive advice without gatekeeping in what seems to be a competitive market.

Thanks!
-D

Oct 17 23 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Getting enough work to do photo retouching fulltime is challenging I'm sure!  You've got to connect your services with those who need it.  I'm a photographer  who started back in 1978.  I took film and lighting classes.  I'm also experienced as a film lab tech in the darkroom and also daylab processing (think 1-hour Photo) .. but times have changed. Sorry I don't have much of an answer for you, but might have work for you.

I sent you a friend request because I'm moving to Las Vegas soon and will be looking to find someone I can work with to enhance my past photography work. You mentioned music & videos. I have concert photos that I will want enhanced. So you have my attention. When I set up an office, I will need to purchase new equipment. It's a huge project.

Your best bet is try posting on places like Upwork.com

Oct 21 23 03:46 pm Link