Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Well That Was Fun...

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

https://i.postimg.cc/ZnCv5Hsb/ankle1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/JzwHRbN8/ankle3.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/JnZKrb0B/ankle4.jpg

I wish I had a better story than slipping on a friend's front stairs in Maryland but... *shrug* I stupidly modeled on it for two half day shoots in a row. My insurance didn't work until I got home a week later and yep, broken fibula ankle.

Anyone ever do this? I've been in a boot for 3 days and I'm told 6-8 weeks. Not sure how I am going to work but I need to take care of myself and I am terrible at being sick, much less disabled.

Edit: With the encouragement of friends, I have set up a gofundme for my rent, bills, and food during my recovery. I am alone, so anything will help: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-with-re … -i-recover

Dec 01 23 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Oh, sorry, that sucks.
Get well soon, I hope it heals to be back at 100%

Dec 01 23 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

I broke my ankle in pretty much the same spot the day before Christmas last year (also on some steps, with my foot twisting toward the outside of my body with my full body weight on it). Was on it for a week before an x-ray revealed the extent of the injury. However, nothing was out of place so I was put in just an ankle brace, and took time off work until my accumulated sick days were used up (about two months). Then I was put on 'light duties' until my osteopath (who specialized in ankle injuries — the Columbia hospital system in New York has great doctors!) certified me as fit for full work duties (which turned out to be "whenever you feel up to it"). So for me it was three to four months to the point where I was more or less able to function normally, and more like six month before the ankle felt able to fully cope with day-to-day tasks.

I have to say, your break looks much more severe and you have my deepest sympathy. My ankle probably would have looked like yours except I was wearing some pretty high end hiking boots at the time (from Lowa) so those took a lot of the force from my misstep.

Rest up s much as you can and give the break a chance to heal! New bone doesn't start forming until two weeks after a break so you seem to have gotten it stabilized just in time for proper healing to occur.

Dec 02 23 05:38 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

TaiChiJohn wrote:
I broke my ankle in pretty much the same spot the day before Christmas last year (also on some steps, with my foot twisting toward the outside of my body with my full body weight on it). Was on it for a week before an x-ray revealed the extent of the injury. However, nothing was out of place so I was put in just an ankle brace, and took time off work until my accumulated sick days were used up (about two months). Then I was put on 'light duties' until my osteopath (who specialized in ankle injuries — the Columbia hospital system in New York has great doctors!) certified me as fit for full work duties (which turned out to be "whenever you feel up to it"). So for me it was three to four months to the point where I was more or less able to function normally, and more like six month before the ankle felt able to fully cope with day-to-day tasks.

I have to say, your break looks much more severe and you have my deepest sympathy. My ankle probably would have looked like yours except I was wearing some pretty high end hiking boots at the time (from Lowa) so those took a lot of the force from my misstep.

Rest up s much as you can and give the break a chance to heal! New bone doesn't start forming until two weeks after a break so you seem to have gotten it stabilized just in time for proper healing to occur.

I didn't realize how bad the break was until I saw the x-ray. I see an orthopedist on the 11th. Surgery is possible. I still can't believe I put my full 125 pound weight on it two days in a row after. Ugh. There is still bruising all the way up to my knee.

Dec 02 23 07:22 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

It looks a lot better than some X-rays I've seen of roller derby injuries showing multiple fractures, steel screws and pins.

Dec 02 23 07:27 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

JSouthworth wrote:
It looks a lot better than some X-rays I've seen of roller derby injuries.

Well, that is helpful. roll

Dec 02 23 07:37 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Model Sarah wrote:
Well, that is helpful. roll

At least you only broke one rather than both the major leg bones, that can happen in roller derby. It could be worse.

Dec 02 23 07:44 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

I broke my wrist a couple of years ago. The fracture was a hairline fracture that needed surgery to repair. The surgery went very well and now I a have a piece of titanium in my wrist holding it all together. But definitely worth the effort.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Ow/i-L4fXScH/0/0edab29b/L/20211201_100515-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Ow/i-xh52P3j/0/0ced5c65/L/20211201_100537-L.jpg

Dec 02 23 07:47 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Wish you the best and a speedy recovery

Dec 02 23 07:50 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

JSouthworth wrote:

At least you only broke one rather than both the major leg bones, that can happen in roller derby. It could be worse.

Who is talking about roller derby? I literally slipped on stairs.

Dec 02 23 07:57 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Frank Lewis Photography wrote:
I broke my wrist a couple of years ago. The fracture was a hairline fracture that needed surgery to repair. The surgery went very well and now I a have a piece of titanium in my wrist holding it all together. But definitely worth the effort.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Ow/i-L4fXScH/0/0edab29b/L/20211201_100515-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Ow/i-xh52P3j/0/0ced5c65/L/20211201_100537-L.jpg

Wow! I have a feeling surgery is going to happen to me. I am scared of it. I have never broken anything before. sad

Dec 02 23 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Wow! I have a feeling surgery is going to happen to me. I am scared of it. I have never broken anything before. sad

Nothing to be afraid of, Sarah. The surgery beats wearing a cast for six or eight weeks. Within a week of the surgery, I was in physical therapy, doing exercises to keep my wrist flexible. I have to say, everything was worth the effort. Talk to your orthopedist about the possibility of having the surgery. I'm glad I did.

In the meantime, wearing the boot offers some interesting photography possibilities. Just sayin'.

Edit: since the plate in my wrist is titanium, no problem at all getting through airport security.

Edit: I was seventy-five when this all happened.

Dec 02 23 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

OUCH!
Foot, ankle injuries are the worst. Don't rush the recovery; the rippling effects of foot problems can cause all kinds of collateral damage, not the least of which are balance issues, acute and chronic.  I know this from sad experience.

Heal soon.

Dec 02 23 09:40 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Nothing to be afraid of, Sarah. The surgery beats wearing a cast for six or eight weeks. Within a week of the surgery, I was in physical therapy, doing exercises to keep my wrist flexible. I have to say, everything was worth the effort. Talk to your orthopedist about the possibility of having the surgery. I'm glad I did.

In the meantime, wearing the boot offers some interesting photography possibilities. Just sayin'.

Edit: since the plate in my wrist is titanium, no problem at all getting through airport security.

Edit: I was seventy-five when this all happened.

A friend of mine who snowboards said that ski equipment is engineered to break your knees not ankles because an ankle break is so much worse. That is a good point about about a cast. I hadn't thought of that. I guess I just assumed I'd be in this for 6 weeks? Excuse my ignorance, I again, have never injured myself like this before.

Dec 02 23 09:48 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Focuspuller wrote:
OUCH!
Foot, ankle injuries are the worst. Don't rush the recovery; the rippling effects of foot problems can cause all kinds of collateral damage, not the least of which are balance issues, acute and chronic.  I know this from sad experience.

Heal soon.

I need to be reminded of this often....

Dec 02 23 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Model Sarah wrote:

A friend of mine who snowboards said that ski equipment is engineered to break your knees not ankles because an ankle break is so much worse. That is a good point about about a cast. I hadn't thought of that. I guess I just assumed I'd be in this for 6 weeks? Excuse my ignorance, I again, have never injured myself like this before.

I'm just trying to give you some encouragement by sharing my experience. I don't mean to be pushy.

Dec 02 23 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Model Sarah wrote:

😂 You have to excuse Dr. JSouthworth. He has trouble staying on topic.

Dec 02 23 10:54 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I'm just trying to give you some encouragement by sharing my experience. I don't mean to be pushy.

No, not taking it that way at all. Just apprehensive. sad

Dec 02 23 10:56 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

https://i.postimg.cc/65mSm1Vz/leg1.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/d08xDsbS/leg2.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Qd76nNdx/leg4.jpg

Took these just now. Nearly two weeks later and look how swollen the hurt leg/foot is compared to the other.

Dec 02 23 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Managing Light

Salem, Virginia, US

Sorry to hear about your accident. It looks much like the break my wife suffered, which ended up with two stainless screws inserted in a simple and quick procedure.  She healed quickly.

The trick to healing quickly is to NOT stress the ankle until the bone grows around the screws and across the fracture zone.

The bad news is "quickly" seems like forever to the patient.  Hang in there - this too shall pass.

Dec 03 23 02:29 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Managing Light wrote:
Sorry to hear about your accident. It looks much like the break my wife suffered, which ended up with two stainless screws inserted in a simple and quick procedure.  She healed quickly.

The trick to healing quickly is to NOT stress the ankle until the bone grows around the screws and across the fracture zone.

The bad news is "quickly" seems like forever to the patient.  Hang in there - this too shall pass.

Define quickly? lol

I literally haven't put any weight on it at all. Between a roller office chair and crutches getting around my apartment, I have learned how to do this quickly. I even decorated my Christmas tree this evening! I put off a consultation with an  orthopedist because I am scared of surgery. The 11th is the consultation. I'm glad it will be quick. The break is so much worse than I thought it was. I'm taking 600 mg tylenol and an anti-inflammatory medication that is helping a lot with pain.

Dec 03 23 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Focuspuller wrote:
😂 You have to excuse Dr. JSouthworth. He has trouble staying on topic.

LOL

Here's praying for a speedy recovery.

Dec 03 23 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Lewis Photography

Winter Park, Florida, US

Be sure to keep your appointment with the orthopedist. The sooner you get this taken care of, the sooner you can get back to doing the things you enjoy.

Best of luck.

Dec 03 23 06:41 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Be sure to keep your appointment with the orthopedist. The sooner you get this taken care of, the sooner you can get back to doing the things you enjoy.

Best of luck.

Thank you so much

Dec 03 23 07:07 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I am a gourmet cook so I have devised a plan of a stool in the kitchen to cook and a a rolling office chair to scoot around my apartment.

Dec 03 23 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

All best wishes for healing soundly and safely.

It may seem to take a long time, allow it and reap the benefits.

I had re-constructive surgery on my right foot a few years ago. They moved bones around and used staples and screws to correct defects from a fall.

I gave things time and then slowly started gentle movement. Today I took a brisk 40 minute walk, half of it up an incline. That was the 6th of 7 days that I did that. I can walk, I'm getting back in shape, it takes time but it sure feels good.

Dec 03 23 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Model Sarah wrote:

Define quickly? lol

I literally haven't put any weight on it at all. Between a roller office chair and crutches getting around my apartment, I have learned how to do this quickly. I even decorated my Christmas tree this evening! I put off a consultation with an  orthopedist because I am scared of surgery. The 11th is the consultation. I'm glad it will be quick. The break is so much worse than I thought it was. I'm taking 600 mg tylenol and an anti-inflammatory medication that is helping a lot with pain.

FYI a walker with a tray attachment helped me a lot getting around my house for weeks after bunion surgery.  Also, do not fear surgery. In my case two years ago I was speaking to the nurse one second and the next second I was in the recovery room after two hours of surgery.  No dreaming, no weird sense of time passing at all. A snap, really.

Dec 04 23 08:17 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Focuspuller wrote:

FYI a walker with a tray attachment helped me a lot getting around my house for weeks after bunion surgery.  Also, do not fear surgery. In my case two years ago I was speaking to the nurse one second and the next second I was in the recovery room after two hours of surgery.  No dreaming, no weird sense of time passing at all. A snap, really.

I have been using an office chair with wheels to get around my apartment. I have crutches for everything else. If I could get my sister to do my laundry, that would help a lot. I can't get to the laundry facilities here at my complex or take my trash out. Maintenance guys said they would help with trash and any packages that came to the office, so there is that.

Dec 04 23 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

matt-h2

Oakland, California, US

Echoing what others have said about taking care of it and watching it in the future. Apparently all kinds of ankle injuries are correlated with an increased risk of osteoarthritis. I had such a severe case (perhaps brought on by sprained ankles many years ago) that I ended up with a total ankle replacement. Good news is that after initial recovery and PT, I got my life back, and could walk normally again.

Dec 04 23 12:34 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

matt-h2 wrote:
Echoing what others have said about taking care of it and watching it in the future. Apparently all kinds of ankle injuries are correlated with an increased risk of osteoarthritis. I had such a severe case (perhaps brought on by sprained ankles many years ago) that I ended up with a total ankle replacement. Good news is that after initial recovery and PT, I got my life back, and could walk normally again.

I don't have any problems with that. Lord knows with my rare allergy to lisinopril, I have been through all the machines and tests. Never sprained anything before, much less broken...

Dec 04 23 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Sorry to see your misfortune. Its crucial to see the frightening medical magicians promptly. Do not be afraid, but be afraid of being afraid. Speed up that appointment if possible. Joint damage can be permanent.

Dec 04 23 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'd also suggest not delaying seeing the experts....

And may you have a speedy recovery!

Dec 04 23 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

GSmithPhoto

Alameda, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Anyone ever do this? I've been in a boot for 3 days and I'm told 6-8 weeks. Not sure how I am going to work but I need to take care of myself and I am terrible at being sick, much less disabled.

Not exactly, but close.  Diabetic with blood blister on th sole of my foot, which burst and became infected.  Three weeks in a walking boot, then nearly 14 weeks in a calf-length cast, including a month on a knee scooter to keep weight off my foot.
I'll send prayers your way for a speedy recovery!

Dec 05 23 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Model Sarah wrote:
[ My insurance didn't work until I got home a week later and yep, broken fibula ankle.

Maybe your friend has homeowners or renters insurance?

Years ago someone I didn't even know came on to my property and managed to break their leg. My insurance covered their medical plus some additional compensation of some sort. This, and they were actually trespassing.

Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery.

Dec 05 23 04:50 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

LA StarShooter wrote:
Sorry to see your misfortune. Its crucial to see the frightening medical magicians promptly. Do not be afraid, but be afraid of being afraid. Speed up that appointment if possible. Joint damage can be permanent.

11th is quite soon!

Dec 05 23 08:56 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Znude! wrote:

Maybe your friend has homeowners or renters insurance?

Years ago someone I didn't even know came on to my property and managed to break their leg. My insurance covered their medical plus some additional compensation of some sort. This, and they were actually trespassing.

Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery.

That does not matter now.

Dec 05 23 08:57 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Model Sarah wrote:

Your X ray pictures just remind me of some others I saw a while back, they were actually in a leaflet or program for a roller derby bout. Lower leg/ankle injuries are common in that sport for obvious reasons, people tend to get hit by roller skates in those areas.

Dec 05 23 09:22 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

JSouthworth wrote:

Your X ray pictures just remind me of some others I saw a while back, they were actually in a leaflet or program for a roller derby bout. Lower leg/ankle injuries are common in that sport for obvious reasons, people tend to get hit by roller skates in those areas.

I have heard of people saying things like "I blacked out" when they got injured and I never understood it. I do now. I don't remember it at all. I just remember slipping and being carried inside.

Dec 05 23 09:42 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

UGH. It finally happened. After nearly 4 years, I finally contracted covid for the first time. I am supposed to see the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow and now I have to put that off. I just have a very mild cough and a bit of a stuffy nose. (I am fully vaccinated)

For someone as independent as myself, (My mom used to say that I ran before I walked and I threatened to move out at ages 8 and 12 before I realized it was illegal) this is debilitating.  sad

You have to remember I have never injured myself and I know next to nothing about this. It can make someone like me get into a dark place. I was under the assumption 6-8 weeks in a boot, and I will be okay again. That MIGHT be the case as far as the best case scenario but it is surgery then 6-8 weeks and possibly more than that. Everyone heals differently.

I need a hug.

Dec 10 23 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

Model Sarah wrote:
UGH. It finally happened. After nearly 4 years, I finally contracted covid for the first time. I am supposed to see the orthopedic surgeon tomorrow and now I have to put that off. I just have a very mild cough and a bit of a stuffy nose. (I am fully vaccinated)

I need a hug.

I highly recommend Paxlovid in addition to hugs! It makes a huge difference!

Dec 11 23 03:13 am Link