Forums > General Industry > Does anyone publish Photo books any more?

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

P.S.  For the benefit of any viewers that aren't familiar with the fundamental difference between printing colours versus viewing colours on a monitor, but are curious about it, think of it this way...

(with apologies to everyone that is not in that category, please just skip this post)

Colour on a monitor is GENERATED light.  While ink on paper is REFLECTED light (think of it as being more like paint on a surface).

Just remember this.  If you mix all of the colours on your monitor (three RGB colours, each at full power), you generate a WHITE light.  But if you mix all of your paint colours (or ink on paper), as I'm sure that you can guess, the colour you get will not be anything that's even remotely like white!!!

So you can see that mixing colours on a monitor is completely different than mixing ink or paint colours on a canvas or on a printed page.  Which is why an entirely different base colour scheme (used to mix and create the full range of colours), is required for monitors versus printing.

Sorry for being really basic with this, but just in case it helps somebody...

May 13 24 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

The print quality of Bonusprint photo books is very good, if there are any color differences from the original images I can honestly say that I haven't noticed them. So I assume that their printing technology must be more sophisticated than CYMK.

https://www.bonusprint.co.uk/view-onlin … 22915addbf

May 14 24 02:34 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
The print quality of Bonusprint photo books is very good, if there are any color differences from the original images I can honestly say that I haven't noticed them. So I assume that their printing technology must be more sophisticated than CYMK.

Your low standards are not an accurate yardstick. Honestly your failure to learn is astounding. It explains much about your photography.

Short-run digital printing is not considered the highest standard for printing quality. Full Stop. It is what it is. It is useful because it is efficient to print one book at a time. Paper size and stock is a limited selection and the color can vary at far greater degree than offset. Offset printing is the standard for art quality books but is prohibitively expensive with small runs of books. Just because you can't spot or appreciate the quality differences, it doesn't mean that others don't.

May 14 24 03:41 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Dan Howell wrote:
Your low standards are not an accurate yardstick. Honestly your failure to learn is astounding. It explains much about your photography.

My artistic standards are much higher than yours; I don't compromise because I don't need to. The technical aspects of photography for me are purely and simply a means to an end. But the basic difference between us is that I work to my own standards, whereas you work to other people's standards.

Offset lithography better than high end inkjet printing? No, I don't think so. It may well be faster than inkjet printing. Photogravure is considered the highest quality photomechanical printing process.

May 14 24 03:49 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
My artistic standards are much higher than yours;

I'm sorry but they just aren't. I regularly delete better photos than the best in your scrapbook.

Frankly, I was going to leave a comprehensive review of your in the critique forum, but I refrained because it just doesn't even rise to the level that is worthy of my time and I am 100% certain that you wouldn't receive with anything other than intransigent claims of superiority like you do here. The quality is too low and the mistakes are too many to be salvaged to any degree you would acknowledge. Your level of narcissism prevents you from even seeing the glaringly obvious shortcomings that several others here have abundantly pointed out.

May 14 24 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

JSouthworth wrote:

https://www.bonusprint.co.uk/view-onlin … 22915addbf

It's good that you are happy with the print quality your vendor is providing.
Customer satisfaction is one measure of how a supplier is doing their job.

That said, you don't understand printing technology or why you would use different print techniques in different scenarios.
I can run a job on a 12 color unit press, but if the work only calls for 4 colors and a varnish that is all I'm going to use.
Adding extra colors isn't necessarily going to make it better.
More "Sophisticated" as you put it, does not by default make every printed image look better.

Your printer might be running extended gamut for your books, or they might be running standard CMYK,
at the end of the day, if you are happy with the print you receive that is really all that matters.

May 14 24 04:58 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Dan Howell wrote:
I'm sorry but they just aren't. I regularly delete better photos than the best in your scrapbook.

Do come off it, you're mostly photographing underweight models doing hackneyed poses in silly outfits, admittedly to quite a high technical standard. Modern fashion is pretty awful a lot of the time I think.

May 14 24 05:21 am Link

Photographer

NakeyPiX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Dan Howell wrote:
...I am 100% certain that you wouldn't receive with anything other than intransigent claims of superiority like you do here.

Yep!
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19996451

May 14 24 07:28 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

JSouthworth wrote:

So perhaps you know something about that? As yet there is no release date for the film. Shooting the cast and crew would have reduced the salary bill as well as creating more employment opportunities, while giving a new meaning to "fire and re-hire". Although now I come to think of it, most of the crew walked off the set before the shooting incident. Clearly a sound decision on their part.

" Although now I come to think of it, most of the crew walked off the set before the shooting incident."

False. Think again.

On second thought, don't bother. Rational "thinking" is not your forte.

May 14 24 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Focuspuller wrote:
" Although now I come to think of it, most of the crew walked off the set before the shooting incident."

I think you're in the wrong thread Mate!

May 14 24 10:00 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

One simple way of comparing the printing quality of one book with another is to take a close look with a magnifier, about 6 X magnification is what you need.

Comparing one of my Bonusprint photo books with the Taschen book Bunny's Honeys, the printing in the Taschen book is a little tidier, with less overspill from dark areas into surrounding light areas, in the text for example. Under magnification this appears as tiny black dots in the white spaces around the letters. However- and this is decisive- the Bonusprint book achieves a much better maximum density in the black and dark areas of the images. In the Taschen book, some white is visible even in the darkest areas and in black text.

This may be an inherent problem with offset printing in which the ink is transferred to the paper via a rubber roller rather than directly, hence offset.

May 15 24 01:47 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Chris Macan wrote:
I think you're in the wrong thread Mate!

That may be true for a number of reasons, but if you check, I was responding, a tad belatedly, to a post in THIS thread. The post referred to contained such a blatant lie from a serial fabulist I felt compelled to set the record straight.

May 15 24 08:26 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Focuspuller wrote:

That may be true for a number of reasons, but if you check, I was responding, a tad belatedly, to a post in THIS thread. The post referred to contained such a blatant lie from a serial fabulist I felt compelled to set the record straight.

Fair enough.... I guess none of these threads really stay on topic.

May 15 24 08:56 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Focuspuller wrote:

False. Think again.

Opinion seems to be divided on this question. Everybody else knows that the camera crew walked off the Rust set hours before the fatal shooting, whereas you, for some reason pretend not to know this.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a … ed-off-set

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rus … 13176.html

May 15 24 09:22 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

JSouthworth wrote:
One simple way of comparing the printing quality of one book with another is to take a close look with a magnifier, about 6 X magnification is what you need.

Comparing one of my Bonusprint photo books with the Taschen book Bunny's Honeys, the printing in the Taschen book is a little tidier, with less overspill from dark areas into surrounding light areas, in the text for example. Under magnification this appears as tiny black dots in the white spaces around the letters. However- and this is decisive- the Bonusprint book achieves a much better maximum density in the black and dark areas of the images. In the Taschen book, some white is visible even in the darkest areas and in black text.

This may be an inherent problem with offset printing in which the ink is transferred to the paper via a rubber roller rather than directly, hence offset.

Getting back on topic, photogravure or rotogravure is considered to be the best quality photomechanical printing process, and the main reason for this is that it achieves superior density in dark areas when compared with offset lithography.

May 15 24 09:27 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

I know you ignored this previously so, once again, here is a reminder.
  (before you continue on with your irrelevant narrative...)

Bonusprint does not use "photogravure" or "rotogravure", or any other "superior method" (that you have promoted here) to print your work.

YOUR publisher, bonusprint, specifically states that they are using a straightforward 4 colour CMYK printing process.  Despite all your denials, protests, insults to others that pointed out your erroneous claims, etc.

That is how your book is printed.  Got it?

Source: bonusprint website

found in multiple places including "Why does bonusprint only use the CMYK profile?" (for printing)

May 15 24 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

JSouthworth wrote:

Getting back on topic, photogravure or rotogravure is considered to be the best quality photomechanical printing process, and the main reason for this is that it achieves superior density in dark areas when compared with offset lithography.

You do know that photogravure and rotogravure are not quite the same process... right?

Also, Gravure processes have their own pro's and cons and may or may not be the best quality photomechanical printing process depending on what criteria you are evaluating by.

May 15 24 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:
Opinion seems to be divided on this question. Everybody else knows that the camera crew walked off the Rust set hours before the fatal shooting, whereas you, for some reason pretend not to know this.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a … ed-off-set

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rus … 13176.html

As this vanity thread touting your vanity project has demonstrated, your ignorance of a subject does not prevent you from spouting opinions about it as fact. Since you are ignorant of film sets allow me to school you: The camera crew is not the entire crew. It is one department. Sorry to wreck the fantasy world you have constructed in your mind. That you only double down when proven in error is only one of your many shortcomings, old chap.

May 15 24 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Focuspuller wrote:

Off topic. And do you really think anybody gives a f**k whether it was "only" the camera crew or the catering staff as well?

May 16 24 03:26 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

LightDreams wrote:
Bonusprint does not use "photogravure" or "rotogravure", or any other "superior method" (that you have promoted here) to print your work.

YOUR publisher, bonusprint, specifically states that they are using a straightforward 4 colour CMYK printing process.

Would you like to post a link so everyone else can see for themselves? I couldn't find any references to their printing process when I was looking for that..

Gravure is time consuming and expensive to set up and therefore only suitable for long print runs, or when the highest quality is essential regardless of expense. It was at one time quite widely used for mass circulation color magazines, whereas newspapers used Letterpress because it allowed for corrections. Bonusprint and the other other photo book printers all use inkjet printing.

May 16 24 03:29 am Link

Photographer

NakeyPiX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

LightDreams wrote:

YOUR publisher, bonusprint, specifically states that they are using a straightforward 4 colour CMYK printing process.

JSouthworth wrote:
Would you like to post a link so everyone else can see for themselves? I couldn't find any references to their printing process when I was looking for that..

Hey Mr. Know-It-All, it took me less than 30 seconds to find the info that you couldn't.
https://service.albelli.com/hc/en-gb/ar … YK-or-sRGB

Bonusprint wrote:
What colour profile do you use (CMYK or sRGB)?
A colour profile is a set of data that characterizes a colour profile, such as sRGB. Every image is assigned a ICC profile, which defines the colours that are being displayed on your screen.  Depending on the camera and the photo editing program, different colour profiles are used. We print all our products with the CMYK ICC profile.

What colour profile should my photos be?
For our creator tools, the image profile must be sRGB or RGB. When printing, all images are converted automatically to a CMYK profile. The conversion from another colour profile to CMYK may result in a slight loss of colour. This happens when the colour profile you use has a wider colour range and therefore all the colours that fall outside the range of the sRGB profile will be converted to a colour that is closest to it within the CMYK profile.
If your photos have been modified with a different colour profile, this may create a difference between the picture on your screen and what you will receive

What can I do when I use a different colour profile than RGB?
Unfortunately, it is not possible to use photos of the CMYK profile in the software. The photo book is saved as RGB, because this is the profile the photos are saved within the camera.
To solve this, we kindly suggest you adjust the colour profile in an external program, like Photoshop.

Why does bonusprint only use the CMYK profile?
As a manufacturing company, we must make a choice for an ICC profile. The CMYK colour profile is by far the most commonly used profile and is also our choice.
Saving the photo book as RGB instead of CMYK makes the file size more manageable. This in turn reduces the time is takes for the file to be uploaded. Our printers then convert the photos into the CMYK profile in order to print them at the best quality possible.

-----------------------------------------

JSouthworth wrote:
Bonusprint and the other other photo book printers all use inkjet printing.

In case you're wondering they're most likely using a HP Indigo Digital Press because it's the new 'standard' of the industry:
https://www.hp.com/us-en/industrial-pri … nting.html

"Digital offset printing is the term used to describe the HP Indigo process. It uses a heated blanket, much like in offset printing, before transferring the ink onto the substrate using pressure."

May 16 24 03:43 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

NakeyPiX wrote:
In case you're wondering they're most likely using a HP Indigo Digital Press because it's the new 'standard' of the industry:
https://www.hp.com/us-en/industrial-pri … nting.html

"Digital offset printing is the term used to describe the HP Indigo process. It uses a heated blanket, much like in offset printing, before transferring the ink onto the substrate using pressure."

Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't take HP's advertising at face value. And I would dispute their claim that consumers will pay 50% extra for higher quality. Bonusprint's quality is good regardless of which inkjet process they use.

May 16 24 04:12 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

NakeyPiX wrote:

I can't imagine why that is even in this discussion? What is the expression: GIGO?

May 16 24 04:19 am Link

Photographer

NakeyPiX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't take HP's advertising at face value. And I would dispute their claim that consumers will pay 50% extra for higher quality. Bonusprint's quality is good regardless of which inkjet process they use.

Of course we should believe your own delusional opinion over FACTS that HP Indigo Presses are now the industry standard for quality short run printing (as cited by many industry professionals, not just an HP ad).

If you say it, it must be true!

May 16 24 04:21 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Dan Howell wrote:
I can't imagine why that is even in this discussion? What is the expression: GIGO?

Garbage In, Garbage Out. You'll have to ask NakeyPiX, that's in his neck of the woods.

May 16 24 04:23 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

JSouthworth wrote:

Bonusprint use HP digital printers according to this page;

https://service.albelli.com/hc/en-gb/ar … d-products

May 16 24 05:01 am Link

Photographer

NakeyPiX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JSouthworth wrote:

Ummmm.... HP Electroink IS the ink used in HP Indigo Printers and NOT on their inkjet line.
------------------------------------

Look, we know you like Bonusprint because they put out good products.
Nobody has denied that.  I don't think anyone doubts they're probably are good products.

The thing is you keep on pushing that company as if you were an investor or receiving a commission and then make claims about your 'expertise' as to why they're the best and indicating that nobody else comes close for one technical reason or another.

I'm sure Bonusprint is happy to receive such recommendations, although I highly doubt that they'd want to use the 'GIRLS ON FILM" photobook to represent their product line.

(if I was them I'd print "Shutterfly" on the book... just because)

May 16 24 05:06 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

Does Bonusprint offer Braille printing?

Because that might help “Girls on Film” reach its target market…

May 16 24 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:
Off topic. And do you really think anybody gives a f**k whether it was "only" the camera crew or the catering staff as well?

YOU apparently do.

YOU went off topic with YOUR stupid and irrelevant reference to the "Rust" film, and in the process YOU made a false and clueless statement about the "crew" walking off, incredibly citing sources which actually prove you wrong, further solidifying your reputation here as a serial bullshitter with a colossal ego.

In case you forgot who went off-topic:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19996060
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19996075

Watching the knowledgable confronting the clueless, this thread most reminds me of the end of "Fargo", when Jerry Lundegaarde's lies and bullshit have finally caught up with him, and he is dragged out kicking and screaming.

May 16 24 09:10 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Focuspuller wrote:
YOU apparently do.

YOU went off topic with YOUR stupid and irrelevant reference to the "Rust" film, and in the process YOU made a false and clueless statement about the "crew" walking off, incredibly citing sources which actually prove you wrong, further solidifying your reputation here as a serial bullshitter with a colossal ego.

In case you forgot who went off-topic:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19996060
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19996075

Watching the knowledgable confronting the clueless, this thread most reminds me of the end of "Fargo", when Jerry Lundegaarde's lies and bullshit have finally caught up with him, and he is dragged out kicking and screaming.

Alec Baldwin must be a psycho I think, whereas you may still have some work to do for your certificate. And for the last time, this thread is about book publishing and printing.

May 17 24 01:35 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

JSouthworth wrote:

https://service.albelli.com/hc/en-gb/ar … d-products

Information here about HP Indigo Electroinks and the range of Indigo professional printers;

https://www.hp.com/us-en/industrial-pri … roink.html

Video here shows an eleven ink extended gamut system;

https://www.hp.com/us-en/industrial-pri … esses.html

May 17 24 01:43 am Link

Photographer

NakeyPiX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Information here about HP Indigo Electroinks and the range of Indigo professional printers;

https://www.hp.com/us-en/industrial-pri … roink.html

Video here shows an eleven ink extended gamut system;

https://www.hp.com/us-en/industrial-pri … esses.html

It's nice to know we actually educated you on something.
(You certainly like to see yourself talk, don't you?)

May 17 24 02:38 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

NakeyPiX wrote:
HP Electroink IS the ink used in HP Indigo Printers and NOT on their inkjet line.
------------------------------------

Indigo is a tradename used by HP for their professional inkjet digital printers.

May 17 24 05:05 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Indigo is a tradename used by HP for their professional inkjet digital printers.

The Inkjet vs. Indigo Debate From the HP Website.
The HP Indigo Liquid Electrophotographic (LEP) process

"HP INDIGIO LEP IS A THERMAL OFFSET PRINTING PROCESS in which each color separation is transferred from the reusable Photo Imaging Plate (PIP) onto a heated blanket. The heated blanket then causes the pigment-carrying particles within HP Indigo ElectroInk to melt and blend into a smooth film. As this warm film makes contact with the cooler substrate, it solidifies quickly and adheres firmly to the substrate with almost no change in dimension or shape."

May 17 24 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

From that description, sounds like an iteration of a dye-sub printer.  Once tuned in for the media, they do a great job -  high speed  at acceptable  cost….my photo booths each are equipped with dye sub printers  that can run up to 5x7 roll paper. The difference would be the reusable plate for the transfer, where my dye subs come with a roll of dye sheets  equivalent to the paper size…the dye roll is a series or rectangles, cyan, magenta, yellow, black, that get consumed with the paper. Each new roll of paper comes with a new dye roll.

This new thing is probably a bit less expensive to operate.

May 17 24 08:14 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

JSouthworth wrote:
Alec Baldwin must be a psycho I think, whereas you may still have some work to do for your certificate. And for the last time, this thread is about book publishing and printing.

This vanity thread is about your vanity project, and your colossal ego led you into a confrontation with people who are knowledgeable about the very things you clearly know nothing about.

Psycho, indeed.

May 17 24 08:32 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Southie's other thread about his self-published book is now locked.

It was under "Critique" where a few of his posts, in response to the critiques, were deleted for "name calling" and "personal attacks" (aimed at some that apparently did post reviews?) along with the thread lock.

It sounds like it didn't go well...

May 17 24 09:03 am Link