Forums > Accomplishments, Achievements and High Fives > New Coffee Table Book: The Art of Gothic Living

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

A book that I was integrally involved with from its inception: The Art of Gothic Living: Dark Decor for the Modern Macabre published by Union Sq. & Co. (formerly Sterling Publishing, publishing arm of Barns & Noble) by author Paul Gambino (formerly editorial director of Urban Ink/Rebel Ink, editor INKED).

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978145 … h5AAVNrt33

This is the fifth book I have collaborated on with Paul. One of the earlier books Morbid Curiosities: Collections of the Uncommon and the Bizarre published by UK publisher Laurence King (now div. of Hachette UK) has sold more than 30,000 copies. This book is a collection of both interesting locations but also interesting people. I photographed portraits and interior photos of couples and individuals who live in and surround themselves with objects of their passion for convention challenging dark and gothic themes. From a collector or Houdini artifacts and Ouija boards to a collector of reliquaries and (allegedly) haunted items. A notable figure in the book is Ryan Cohn (co-star of Discovery Channel's 'Oddities' show) who has decorated his home with a colorful array of items including Andy Warhol's bed to a large dinosaur skull. Another collector lives in an otherwise regular midwestern Victorial home that contains a staggering array of authentic Medieval and 15th century relics and art.

I was the principle photographer and photographed 8 of the 15 chapters (budget constraints couldn't wouldn't allow me to travel to Europe and Australia) and logistics didn't allow me to get to a few other locations. I was also instrumental in the concept development with the author. On the past book projects (in addition to Morbid Curiosities, there was 'Skulls: Portraits of the Dead and the Stories They Tell' and 'Killer Collections: Dark Artifacts from True Crime'). I photographed a substantial portion of all three books, shooting still life photos of sacred and profane objects and environmental portraits of their collectors. In that journey I realized that there were some who confined their collections to a single corner of their homes, and there were other collectors who lived among the objects they are passionate about. I suggested we propose a book about the ones who live in their collections.

We are now in the process of pitching multiple future book projects on a wide variety of topics. Too early to share more details.

May 13 24 05:13 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Coffee Table Book? There's something slightly derogatory about that term I think. Not that it wouldn't be a nice addition to somebody's living space.

May 13 24 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

JSouthworth wrote:
Coffee Table Book? There's something slightly derogatory about that term I think. Not that it wouldn't be a nice addition to somebody's living space.

It is a fairly common term for an image-heavy (rather than text heavy) book.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti … %20easily.

May 13 24 05:58 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Dan Howell wrote:

It is a fairly common term for an image-heavy (rather than text heavy) book.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti … %20easily.

Or maybe a big heavy book that's easier to read if you have something to rest it on, like a coffee table?

May 13 24 06:03 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Congratulations, if I ever get some spare money, I'd love to buy a copy, sounds very interesting.

May 13 24 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:
Congratulations, if I ever get some spare money, I'd love to buy a copy, sounds very interesting.

Thanks, when it is released I will make a web gallery of selections from my chapters.

May 14 24 04:27 am Link

Photographer

JQuest

Syracuse, New York, US

Outstanding Dan! Congratulations!

May 16 24 06:06 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

This is big news, Dan, and it may surpass even the epic heights of "Girls on Film" which destroys all other books in the world, emptying libraries with its awesomeness, causing people upon seeing it to become blind and resort to  braille and other touchy methods for communication. And oh, course, congratulations to you, but I'm really waiting for the sequel to the other book, which I think will be called "Blimps on Fire".  Or "Photographer Dead in 52 photos auto shot after being shot by irate tattooed model. . ."

Good one and I hope more people show up to comment than on "Girls on Film".

May 17 24 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Congratulations Dan!

It looks fascinating, and I'm sure it will do well (as usual)!

May 17 24 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/442419404_7774792525906408_3356559105581494239_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=Jj1pCij58CYQ7kNvgGpRhfv&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-1.xx&oh=00_AYBuA0yahs39OK9OYISM49_jumST_4lMhji8Pi2Uq6nk_Q&oe=665623D6

Covers of the four books I have worked on with author Paul Gambino including the soon to be published Art of Gothic Living. Upper left is Morbid Curiosities featuring my photo as the cover. I also shot some of the smaller images on the cover of Killer Collections. While still life if not my main focus in photography, each book features portraits of the owner/collectors.

May 24 24 02:52 am Link