Forums > Photography Talk > Rumour? Nikon D5... just being released?

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I was at Adorama yesterday, and overheard a conversation that Nikon released the new Nikon D5 (based on the F5) just a few days ago.

Didn't hear the specifics, but the guy was raving about it.

12MP, something something sensor, yada yada viewer and LCD and MSRP at $3,300.

I am getting sorta excited... wink

I looked at Nikon USA's site at News, but nothing.

Guess it'll be under the Christmass trees this year.

Anybody has more info?

Udo

Sep 01 05 08:15 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

Must have been 5D, the new Canon, not a Nikon. Sorry.

Sep 01 05 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I hope not.  It's bad enough that there's a Konica Minolta 5D and a Canon 5D; we don't need a Nikon D5 to confuse things. 

Maybe TSR could make a d5, too (sorry I'm not a current nerd).

Sep 01 05 08:22 am Link

Photographer

blackstar-photography

Owensboro, Kentucky, US

im waiting for a d200 - lol

Sep 01 05 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Udo R Photography wrote:
I was at Adorama yesterday, and overheard a conversation that Nikon released the new Nikon D5 (based on the F5) just a few days ago.

Anybody has more info?

Udo

I know about the D50 (Digital) and the F6 (the next generation F5 - Film), but haven't heard of the D5.  I read a review on the F6 and they were raving about it.  I also just received an email from Nikon about the D50 but haven't looked into it...

Sep 01 05 08:24 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

JvR wrote:
Must have been 5D, the new Canon, not a Nikon. Sorry.

Not sure... the guy talked about Nikon.

Damn... I still would have to shell out 5G's for the D2x... that sucks... $3.3K sounded so much friendlier.

sad

But... hey... let's wait... maybe Nikon really has that one coming.

Sep 01 05 08:26 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

That's total news to me.

Good, but after checking with 2 other sources, nada on the rumor.

The only rumor I've heard is about the D2Xs.

Aparently a little faster fps and wider view.

Oh yea and one more way Nikon can squeeze a few more bucks from you. wink

Sep 01 05 08:27 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

C R Photography wrote:
Oh yea and one more way Nikon can squeeze a few more bucks from you. wink

Nah... Nikon has been good... shot many years with my N90s (bought used, never a problem), still have it as my backup in my bag... and shooting with the D70.

Have the lenses and all... I am not a gear collector...

Yet, I am looking for an upgrade soon, doubling my MP's is not a bad thing. wink

Sep 01 05 08:30 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Udo R Photography wrote:
Nah... Nikon has been good...

Yea, I'm a dedicated Nikon shooter from day one as well, but c’mon man, you have to had thought twice when you saw Canon’s EOS Mark II Ds with 16.7 mpx at 4 fps.

Nikon has been in second place in the digital age for years. sad

Plus they have always been a little pricier than Canon.

But that’s not gonna deter me. I’ll just starve.

Sep 01 05 08:43 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

C R Photography wrote:
Yea, I'm a dedicated Nikon shooter from day one as well, but c’mon man, you have to had thought twice when you saw Canon’s EOS Mark II Ds with 16.7 mpx at 4 fps.

Yeah, the Mark II was tempting... but then... to replace the whole system... would put me into the hole for the money for the body AND another 6 or 7 Grand for the accessories and lense system, or more actually.

Unless I find a solution (duct tape?) to make my lenses work on a Canon... big_smile

Sep 01 05 09:39 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Brian Diaz wrote:
Maybe TSR could make a d5, too (sorry I'm not a current nerd).

It comes with a Forgotten Realms screen.

I think I just failed my humor check...

Sep 01 05 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

XtremeArtists wrote:

Whew--I was afraid no one would get that one...

Sep 01 05 09:50 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Brian Diaz wrote:

Whew--I was afraid no one would get that one...

That's why they keep me around...

Sep 01 05 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Jack Dawes

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Sounds like someone's got their wires crossed about the new Canon.

Although word on the streets is that the D200 will be 12MP as well.

Sep 01 05 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

XtremeArtists wrote:

That's why they keep me around...

You mean it's not to pound sense into the senseless?

Sep 01 05 10:08 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Brian Diaz wrote:

You mean it's not to pound sense into the senseless?

My head's too sore. I'll get back to that when I can find a new spot to hit that doesn't have any lumps...

Sep 01 05 10:10 am Link

Photographer

ChrisPaul- Chrispimages

Los Angeles, California, US

yea sounds a lil flipped up but why would nikon want to put out another 12mp when they just put out the d2x but i guess they cant let the prosumer out resolution the prograde camera
cand to cd canon isnt really killing in the digital slr market if you look purely at sharpness directly from the camera with similar priced lenses the nikon is still ahead

Sep 01 05 10:10 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

chris paul wrote:
canon isnt really killing in the digital slr market if you look purely at sharpness directly from the camera with similar priced lenses the nikon is still ahead

How about if you look at sales?

Sep 01 05 10:14 am Link

Photographer

ChrisPaul- Chrispimages

Los Angeles, California, US

sales are nothing i used to sell cameras and i sold way more canons because i got a way bigger bonus lol
but look at profit nikon isn't hurting
but im not knocking canon i like the bolder color and im probably going to get a 20d for event photography because it muders all the nikons in low light but in well lit conditions ill stick with nikon because i dont want to spend all my money on L lenses

Sep 01 05 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Udo R Photography wrote:

Anybody has more info?

Udo

You're such a tease!!  I can't believe a MOD is trying to stir up trouble tongue

Sep 01 05 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

XtremeArtists wrote:

I think I just failed my humor check...

I think I just experienced a massive wave of flashbacks!!  I've never even touched LSD!!

Dang, if I wasn't single, I might be tempted to try and play again.  But I figure my nerd status world go over the top if I added role-playing back into the mix with my photography and video game playing.  I'd never get a girl sad

Sep 01 05 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

Yep it's the Canon- nikon is dragging it's ass as usual.  Switch!  I did, and I'm not looking back.

Sep 01 05 04:24 pm Link

Photographer

Columbus Photo

Columbus, Georgia, US

So does anyone want to bet who on MM will have the first one?

Paul

Sep 01 05 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Belair

Downers Grove, Illinois, US

Udo R Photography wrote:

Anybody has more info?

Udo

The only thing I've heard is that the "D200" is supposed to be out some time after the first of the year.  Supposedly, 8MP, 8FPS, fancy metering and autofocus.  Sorry, I won't bite.  My D100 is on its last legs.  I'm going back to my 22MP F3.

Sep 01 05 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Synthesis|Photo

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, US

There is some talk about a D5 on DPreview.

Sep 01 05 06:07 pm Link

Photographer

Synthesis|Photo

Pewaukee, Wisconsin, US

oooppps...they were talking about konica minolta 5D, comparing it to the D200

Sep 01 05 06:08 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Bevacqua

Saugus, Massachusetts, US

12MP, full frame sensor, big LCD, $3300.

Has to be the EOS 5D.

Out in October I heard.

Sep 03 05 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Just broke into digital with my Canon 20D after shooting Nikons for 25 years.  I hope nobody comes out with anything till I learn how to make this damn thing work.

Sep 03 05 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Bevacqua

markcomp wrote:
Just broke into digital with my Canon 20D after shooting Nikons for 25 years.  I hope nobody comes out with anything till I learn how to make this damn thing work.

I have a 20D - if you're having some trouble with it, maybe I can help.

Sep 04 05 10:13 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Sure hope the rumor's cross-wired and turns out a Canon.  I just got the D2x, which make a great case for grabbing two rolls of film and going out with an FM3a.  smile

Sep 04 05 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Bevacqua

commart wrote:
Sure hope the rumor's cross-wired and turns out a Canon.  I just got the D2x, which make a great case for grabbing two rolls of film and going out with an FM3a.  smile

I know a guy who also just got a D2X.  Those are some sweet files.  Have fun with that thing.

Sep 04 05 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

JQ:FIYAR

Southfield, Michigan, US

Yeah, I he had to be refering to the Canon 5D. Sounds like a great camera. My apprentice is going to get one as soon as possible to replace his XT that had a tragic death. I personally shoot Nikon(D70) so I'm waiting on the D200 before I get all excited. But my lil padwan shoots Canon and is weighing this vs the 20D.

See, Nikon and Canon users CAN Co-exist!

Sep 04 05 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

C R Photography wrote:
... but c’mon man, you have to had thought twice when you saw Canon’s EOS Mark II Ds with 16.7 mpx at 4 fps.

Nikon has been in second place in the digital age for years. sad

I get so tired of hearing these things.  I have a studio client that was using the Nikon D1X system.  I think he had two or three of them.  He was having trouble with the SB28 flashes under some circumstances when shooting weddings.

I turned around and bought a Cannon 1Ds and then a Cannon 1Ds Mark II along with a passle of lenses.  He was dissappointed because it wasn't focusing as well as the Nikon gear and had other small problems.  He got frustrated.

When the D2X came out, he bought one of those as well.  What he tells me is that when shooting at 100 ASA, the D2X runs rings around the 1Ds Mark II. If he pumps it up to ISO 400, then the Canon is better.  He eventually dumped all of his Canon gear and went back to Nikon.

Both companies make good equpment with pluses and minuses.  Some years back, I switched from Pentax to Nikon because I needed to go to autofocus.  If I had gone to Canon back then (and I thought about it) I probably would be shooting with Canon now.

I get tired of hearing how Canon has blown the socks of Nikon.  I can tell you from experience that Canon cameras seem to break more than Nikon.  But Canon seems to have better support.

Canon comes out with new models more quickly, but Nikon seems to be more innovative (as an example, Nikon came out with I-TTL first as well as wireless TCP/IP). 

Canon and Nikon have also adopted different philosophys.  Canon has gone to full frame censors and Nikon stayed with 2/3rds.  There are arguments plus and minus for both.

Bottom line, you can argue about this all day and there will ever be a perfect answer as to who is better.

Sep 04 05 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Just a note on the D2x.

--I wanted to get the res up for stock, RAW--->TIFF, to meet the standards of a third-party retailer, so you do what you got to do if and when you can.  I could this quarter, along with making some other improvements, and did.

--Surprises: unlike the D70 (have that too), this one works with some non-cpu lenses (in manual mode) as well as SB's 28 and 24 (less whizbang, but TTL's okay -- or so says the manual). 

I got into Nikon as the transition from growing up Minolta SRT (and backpacking in the dead of winter) and am on my third and final FM-class Nikon, which features aperture-priority shooting as well as a "trust me" sort of TTL (there's no reporting interface to the photographer, but it works with a little prep).

Sep 04 05 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

commart wrote:
--Surprises: unlike the D70 (have that too), this one works with some non-cpu lenses (in manual mode) as well as SB's 28 and 24 (less whizbang, but TTL's okay -- or so says the manual).

We are way off topic here, but I have an SB 28 which I do use with my D70 occassiohally.  I use it in non-TTL automatic mode.

I don't know anyone who has had success with TTL on the digital cameras, but I-TTL seems to have solved the problem.  I have an SB-800 which I use all the time and it is great.

Sep 04 05 08:55 pm Link