Forums > Photography Talk > How does he do this?

Photographer

ATLFigures

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

This photographer's images have an illustrative look to them http://www.fiscusphoto.com/ Does anyone know how to achive this look?

Sep 01 05 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I have no idea, but I like it!  Good stuff!

Sep 01 05 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

med format camera, lighting, makeup, photoshop, and a boat load of money.

Sep 01 05 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Nicholson Photography

Columbus, Georgia, US

Sep 01 05 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

I don't know either, but I highly doubt he/she'll share his secret with the world

Sep 01 05 08:56 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Impressive work.

I met Jim about 2 years ago at a studio in Hollywood.

Hella nice guy and bright.

Sep 01 05 08:57 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

I have a less severe effect to one of my photos on 22092. THe musician piece. I used a blue filter over my lens and a flash to minimize the effect. THen I took it through a lot of photoshop to bring out the skin tone and other colors through the blue. I softened the overall effect by going over the image with that lens correction (I'm saying that wrong) to burn the edges a bit and a soft omni lighting effect, jacking up the black with the selective color function. I may even have jakced up the contrast in one version. It looks like it was illustrated, but it's not.

It looks as though he may have used a circular polarizer in the initial photograph as well.  But the rest could be photoshop. If it's not, it's a heckuva job regardless!

Sep 01 05 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

DawnElizabeth Moderator wrote:
I have a less severe effect to one of my photos on 22092. THe musician piece. I used a blue filter over my lens and a flash to minimize the effect. THen I took it through a lot of photoshop to bring out the skin tone and other colors through the blue. I softened the overall effect by going over the image with that lens correction (I'm saying that wrong) to burn the edges a bit and a soft omni lighting effect, jacking up the black with the selective color function. I may even have jakced up the contrast in one version. It looks like it was illustrated, but it's not.

It looks as though he may have used a circular polarizer in the initial photograph as well.  But the rest could be photoshop. If it's not, it's a heckuva job regardless!

Dawn - you scare me.  A model just shouldn't know this much about photography / photoshop techniques... wink

Sep 01 05 09:09 am Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:
Dawn - you scare me.  A model just shouldn't know this much about photography / photoshop techniques... wink

Darn you Jeffrey, I resent that comment =P

Sep 01 05 09:14 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Alli B wrote:

Darn you Jeffrey, I resent that comment =P

Alli B, it's scary that you are as pretty as you are...that just shouldn't be....;-)

Sep 01 05 09:15 am Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

Alli B, it's scary that you are as pretty as you are...that just shouldn't be....;-)

LOL...I know and if Jeffrey reads this, he knows im yankin his chain, cause he knows I am a graphic designer big_smile

Sep 01 05 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

(Is this a case of a photographer kissing ass?  At least she deserves it...wink)

Sep 01 05 09:17 am Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Alli B wrote:

LOL...I know and if Jeffrey reads this, he knows im yankin his chain, cause he knows I am a graphic designer big_smile

I know, Alli, and you know I love ya still... smile

I know several models who are outstanding in Photoshop and photographic techniques.  I guess I'm more jealous than anything... smile

Sep 01 05 09:24 am Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:
I know, Alli, and you know I love ya still... smile

I know several models who are outstanding in Photoshop and photographic techniques.  I guess I'm more jealous than anything... smile

Aww I love ya too Jeffrey smile  LOL jealous of what??

Sep 01 05 09:26 am Link

Photographer

Cory Morhart Photo

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Increase contrast, saturation, some burning etc.  Very nicely done, some great work.

Sep 01 05 09:30 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

How does he do this?

*voice of Ronald Reagan says:*

Well...

Sep 01 05 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Alli B wrote:
Aww I love ya too Jeffrey smile  LOL jealous of what??

Your beauty AND your talent... smile

Sep 01 05 09:36 am Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:

Your beauty AND your talent... smile

LOL !! smile

Sep 01 05 09:45 am Link

Photographer

ATLFigures

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Go ahead Ronnie. Continue.

Sep 01 05 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Shutterbug5269

Herkimer, New York, US

I worked with Alli and I can attest to her quality !

Sep 01 05 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Haas Designs

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

I've known Alli for about a year now but haven't ever had the opportunity of shooting with her.  Believe me, she's on my priority list...

Assuming she'll shoot with me, that is...

Sep 01 05 09:52 am Link

Model

Alli B

Syracuse, New York, US

Jeffrey Haas wrote:
I've known Alli for about a year now but haven't ever had the opportunity of shooting with her.  Believe me, she's on my priority list...

Assuming she'll shoot with me, that is...

Of course Jeffrey!!!! When its nicer again, hopefully I will make it your way next summer, cause school is in session and my last big trip is going to be to Milwaukee, cause im gonna be at MikeyBoy's shootout, cause i promised ill be there, but we will shoot!!! No Doubt!!!! big_smile

Sep 01 05 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Snorkel

New York, New York, US

The Cartoon look is giving through a multitude of photoshop filters. The main being called The "Highpass" filter, along with different blending modes.

Its no real secert.

Sep 01 05 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Those were all graphicaly enhanced for TV commercials. There are a few, if not all on his site that i could swear i have seen in TV commercials.

Sep 01 05 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I do know that the photo of Jay-Z (1st in Gallery 2) is from the Reebok "I am what I am) print campaign.

Sep 01 05 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

MojoHamuki wrote:
Its no real secert.

True, but as Ronnie said, he does it well.

Sep 01 05 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

MojoHamuki wrote:
The Cartoon look is giving through a multitude of photoshop filters. The main being called The "Highpass" filter, along with different blending modes.

Its no real secert.

Sean, could you extrapolate on that answer?  Using the High Pass filter is a good start, but "multitude of photoshop filters" and "different blending modes" are pretty vague.

Sep 01 05 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Woolgar

San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico

Nicholson Photography wrote:
med format camera, lighting, makeup, photoshop, and a boat load of money.

all of the above.......try experimenting with everyone's suggestions and see what works.....then let us all know wink

Sep 01 05 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Woolgar

San Juan, San Juan, Puerto Rico

MojoHamuki wrote:

Its no real secert.

I think it may be some high pass and possibly some desaturation ....... but I could be wrong.....the only one that knows for sure is Jim Fiscus smile

Sep 01 05 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

BlueTree Images

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Several of his images appear in this year's Communication Arts Photography Annual.  It's a fantastic book for hot photography.

Sep 01 05 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Kane

Woodland Hills, Kentucky, US

Last year I wrote a little tutorial for a guy on the omp message boards who was asking about a similar effect. I don't know if it helps at all, but I thought I'd post the link it case it does. If it doesn't, I'm sorry... I'm retarded from eating paint chips as a child.

Here's the URL:

http://member.onemodelplace.com/newforu … 6&forum=46

Sep 02 05 06:51 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Chris Kane wrote:
Last year I wrote a little tutorial for a guy on the omp message boards who was asking about a similar effect. I don't know if it helps at all, but I thought I'd post the link it case it does. If it doesn't, I'm sorry... I'm retarded from eating paint chips as a child.

Here's the URL:

http://member.onemodelplace.com/newforu … 6&forum=46

I don't know if it's your fault or theirs, but:

Error Occurred While Processing Request
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

Sep 02 05 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Alli B,
Why did I never see a woman like you when I lived in Syracuse!!!

I might have never left tongue

Sep 02 05 07:12 am Link

Photographer

Elemental Photo

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

That is some nice stuff! I've seen the one for Rescue Me around, but didn't know who it was who did it. Thanks for the link!

Sep 02 05 07:46 am Link

Photographer

TimC

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

Take a look at Michael Rosens work ..... #1941
and for that matter Jeffery Scott .... #1980

These are two masters of style

Sep 02 05 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Snorkel

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Sean, could you extrapolate on that answer?  Using the High Pass filter is a good start, but "multitude of photoshop filters" and "different blending modes" are pretty vague.

I would but it would require a lot of writing. Just look up Highpass filter in Adobes CS help or google it - plenty of stuff on it. I wont go into details because like I said the highpass part is no secert but the process as a whole would be rude of me.

I believe he is repped at Stockland Marktel which is were I saw his book. Beautiful digital prints - forget what they were but they ran almost $100-150 a pop. But they looked amazing. Alot of photographers portfolio there we digital also - but hardly any inkjet printing.

Sep 02 05 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

MojoHamuki wrote:

I would but it would require a lot of writing. Just look up Highpass filter in Adobes CS help or google it - plenty of stuff on it. I wont go into details because like I said the highpass part is no secert but the process as a whole would be rude of me.

Oh.  https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=3982

Sep 02 05 08:19 am Link

Photographer

ATLFigures

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

I just did a pretty extensive google search on "photoshop highpass" & "photoshop highpass effects" didn't turn up much of anything except for sharpening.

Sep 02 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

BrooklynPhoto

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Ok, aside from the photoshop tricks, such as increasing saturation and contrast. . .  Shooting ultra saturated, usually film, get your lighting very good then ad kino flos or striplights for the highlights.  Larger formats help, but this is done often in the movie biz.  A lot of fairly soft lights, such as china lanterns (yes, in the major motion picture biz thry use $5 expendable paper lanterns. . . amazing but true. . . usually with 2 or 3 250 to 500 watt household type bulbs).  There is usually some digital tweaking, but the key is getting the highlights in limited spots and not letting them spill uncontrolled all over.  it's tricky, and requires a lot of space and many light fixtures.  Kino flos will do this almost every time with a semi-shiny surface to reflect off of.  Striplights are not as good for some strange reason, but kinos put out so little light that strobes are necessary some times.

Sep 02 05 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

ATLFigures

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Here's an attempt using multiple PS layers. Thoughts?

https://webpages.charter.net/dedwards_ca//_MG_7042d1_web.jpg

Sep 02 05 04:01 pm Link