Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > What Can WE do to HELP (Katrina)

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Hi All,

I've been thinking for a while what can WE do in the MM community to help those affected by the terrible disaster. I know that MONEY is needed more than anything else. However, besides sending our own money to the relief efforts can WE do something to help raise money, food, clothes, etc... Our donations have been made already but I wanted to see if the MM community would like to come up with ideas that we can possibly help even more.

One of the things that I've been thinking of is to do a fashion show to raise money. I know there must be tons of people here who have connections and so forth that we may be able to pull something through.

Any thoughts?

steph

Sep 01 05 12:23 pm Link

Model

LORA

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Putting together a fashion show takes time. It is so much easier to just send the money or whatever is needed. Information is everywhere. Go to your local newsstation website. Send something now if you are going to do it. Now is when they need it.

Sep 01 05 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

I've been considering going to the affected area to offer assistance on the scene, but aside from taking photos and telling jokes, I don't know that I'd be able to do anything besides get in the way.

Sep 01 05 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I know it's not what you're looking for, but one of the most important things we can all do is to remember the hard-working charitable organizations after the recovery is over.  After 9/11, the Red Cross had such a surplus of blood they had to throw a lot of it away, but by 2002, they were back to their normal shortages.  It's fantastic that people are interested in helping right now, but these organizations do good works every day and get little of the needed assistance between the headline tragedies.

Sep 01 05 12:44 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Not sure how a fashion show would raise much. I think a MM calendar or something would generate more. Plus images can come in from all over. Fashion shows are one spot things.

First off money and blood are needed. I am signed up to donate blood tomorrow at my blood bank.

The blood overage thing was because in reality the WTC didn't injure many people nationally. I think a lot more people are going to be directly affected by this.

Long term. Raffle off 4 hours of modeling time and donate the money. Roger shot a comp card that was auctioned off on e-bay and all proceeds were donated to the tsunamis victims.

Sep 01 05 12:45 pm Link

Model

Jordan

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

XtremeArtists wrote:
I've been considering going to the affected area to offer assistance on the scene, but aside from taking photos and telling jokes, I don't know that I'd be able to do anything besides get in the way.

Monroe is currently housing thousands of evacuees, Im sure the need volunteers. Most likely food, water and all of the basic things people need to live. Most of the evacs are staying at the Monroe Civic Center, here is their number & address:
Monroe Civic Center Complex
401 Lea Joyner Mmrl Expressway, Monroe, LA 71201
(318) 329-2225

Jefferson Parish has been the landing spot for people that have been rescued by air. The sheriff says that they have not gotten any relief to aid them. Jefferson parish has no food. No water. No clothing. Nothing. Jefferson Parish cant take all these people. Perhaps you can help there.
Jefferson Davis Parish - Sheriff's Office, Business Calls Information
321 East Plaquemine Street, Jennings, LA 70546
(337) 821-2100
(337) 821-2105 (fax)

If I remember correctly, Jennings is a SMALL place.... not ready for THOUSANDS of evacs.

I hope this information helps. If you need a place to stay, I can probably help you find a room.
Let me know if and when you are coming, I'd love to meet the forum legend smile
~Jordan

Sep 01 05 12:46 pm Link

Model

newhall243

Rosedale, New York, US

Dan Hood MM/Moderator wrote:
Not sure how a fashion show would raise much. I think a MM calendar or something would generate more. Plus images can come in from all over. Fashion shows are one spot things.

First off money and blood are needed. I am signed up to donate blood tomorrow at my blood bank.

The blood overage thing was because in reality the WTC didn't injure many people nationally. I think a lot more people are going to be directly affected by this.

Long term. Raffle off 4 hours of modeling time and donate the money. Roger shot a comp card that was auctioned off on e-bay and all proceeds were donated to the tsunamis victims.

That's a great idea Dan Hood! Do you have any suggestions on how to start this? Anyone?

steph

Sep 06 05 06:48 am Link

Photographer

Michael Siu

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Great suggestion Jordan! 

As someone who is here in New Orleans I am desperately trying to directly help the victims. We are trying to set up a staging area in Jackson MS (only 3 hours away) to accept clothing and other items for those effected.

In the last couple of days I have been struggling to get a charity set up and a website.   You cannot believe the politics involved in this.  This is part of the reason New Orleans is in such bad shape.  We should have our website fully operational today!   I already have streaming video from during the hurricane and directly after, Plus photos.

Please Visit www.orleansdisaster.org

Also I have some New Orleans shots in my portfolio that perhaps we could use.

Thank you for your help,

Michael Siu

Sep 06 05 07:54 am Link

Model

Tressie Myers

Welch, Oklahoma, US

Here is just a thought. But we could send autographed photos or we could sell them on ebay and then send the money to LA or to Red Cross to help them out. I know that we are thinking about furnishing one of our apartments here in NJ for a family if the gov. will allow it to happen. I'm going to be doing research work on that soon. I hope that everyone has a wonderful evening.

Sep 06 05 11:23 pm Link