Fall/winter makeup and beauty tips
I’ve been a professional makeup, hair and special effects artist for 10 years and recently published a makeup e-book featuring the best tips, tricks and techniques I have learned over the years, as well as some of my favorite products. I believe every woman should look and feel her most confident. However, the cold temperatures outside and the forced indoor heating can take a toll on your skin and hair. Here are some of my favorite tips to keep you looking and feeling your best this season.
1. When fall and winter weather set in, it’s time for a foundation and concealer change. At this point in the year, tans fade and a lighter shade of makeup is needed to match your skin tone. To find the best match, apply with fingers along your jaw line. Your foundation should blend seamlessly into your neck. Make sure to test it in outside light as well, since commercial lighting can distort colors.
I love Hello Flawless by Benefit because it comes in a variety of shades. You can apply it as a powder or wet for a heavier coverage. Use your finger to layer it as a concealer for areas that need extra coverage. It even contains an SPF of 15.
2. Stay moisturized! Johnson and Johnson Baby Oil Gel is extraordinary. I love the smell as well as the thick consistency — unlike baby oil there are no spills. Apply it in the shower and rinse off for baby soft skin. It comes in aloe vera and vitamin E, shea and cocoa butter and lavender formulations.
3. Blush does wonders! A little bit of color on the cheeks can wake you up when you’re feeling tired and brighten up a pale fall or winter complexion. I love the color selection and texture of Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Crème blush. You can also apply it to lips!
4. Wind and cold temperatures can dry tresses out. Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Mask is the perfect solution for dry hair. Apply the moisturizing mask to your head and relax. Rinse it out after 10 minutes for amazing results. The smell is heavenly.
5. For any hair type, dry, cold weather and winter hats add frizz and make hair brittle. There is nothing better than TRESemme´Platinum Strength Heat Protecting Spray. This spray smells delightful while protecting and strengthening hair. Simply spray generously all over hair to tame frizz and give long-lasting results.
6. Lips are one of the first things to dry out during cool weather. For a perfect pout, slough off dry skin with a toothbrush (I have an extra one just for this). Apply Vaseline or your favorite lip balm — I love Burt’s Bees — and leave on overnight.
7. Darker lip colors are trendy in cold months (I love the shades by MAC). For lasting results, use a lip liner of the same shade as your lipstick or gloss, or one shade lighter, and fill in your whole lip. Next, apply your color. To prevent bleeding, use a cotton swab dipped in translucent powder and trace around your lip line.
8. For perfect feet, slough off any dead skin. In or right after the shower is best since softened skin is easier to remove than dry. The Ped Egg is perfect as it collects dead skin for easy disposal and includes a pumice stone at the bottom (just don’t be overzealous!). After scrubbing, apply a foot lotion such as Peppermint Foot Lotion from the Body Shop. For an even more luxurious feeling, put a small amount of the lotion into a glass bowl and heat it in the microwave until warm, testing it first before applying all over feet.
I hope you enjoy these tips and find them useful through the fall and winter season!