Forums > Model Colloquy > umm, don't touch me?

Photographer

- null -

mollie_lane wrote:
I will personally kick your butt! And if anyone is going to break wind...it will be you when you hit the floor and can not get up.

Rough foreplay. My kinda woman.

wink

Are you part Klingon? That would be hot. Getting my ass kicked by a Klingon chick.

Sep 18 05 12:17 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Or a klingon stop stealing our bandwidth graphic.

Sep 18 05 12:20 am Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:

Rough foreplay. My kinda woman.

wink

Are you part Klingon? That would be hot. Getting my ass kicked by a Klingon chick.

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/klingons/klingon-valkris-thesearchforspock.jpg

Eric....

Nope...not a drop of Klingon heritage....but I do not need that
Now that my bestest super heroine sidekick THE THEDA is here...

She HAS royal blood and she MIGHT well be Queen of the Lovely Powerful Klingons...
And she WILL help me consign you to a deserted Federation Colony that has no mirrors...

EEEEEEEEEKKKKKK...what a cruel, cruel torture that would be for you and us!
So behave yourself my friend!

Mollie

Sep 18 05 01:35 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

mollie_lane wrote:
ROTFL....Sport, you walk up and bite me on my butt unawares and without permission...it better be because I have JUST been rattlesnake bit and you are sucking the venom out to save my life.... Otherwise...I respond reflexively and I will not be screaming, or calling the cops... I will personally kick your butt! And if anyone is going to break wind...it will be you when you hit the floor and can not get up.

wink

Mollie

FEISTY!

That is so hot... may I touch you? big_smile

Sep 18 05 11:50 am Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Udo R wrote:

FEISTY!

ROTFL@Udo!!!!

Sep 18 05 10:54 pm Link

Model

MegB2084

Keego Harbor, Michigan, US

I recently left a shoot becuase the photographer was touchy. I'm not proud of it but hey I was not comfortable.

Sep 18 05 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Udo R wrote:

Agreed.  And a pre-law, too.  Smart girl who is feisty.  I dig as well.  smile  (Damn it, Udo always beats me to my own comment!)

Sep 19 05 02:25 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

lll wrote:

Agreed.  And a pre-law, too.  Smart girl who is feisty.  I dig as well.  smile  (Damn it, Udo always beats me to my own comment!)

LOL@LEO...

Yessssss....I am feisty, but in order to be a SUPER female law grad I have to achieve BRUTAL and then I get gold-plated brass knuckles to prove it. 

wink

Mollie

Sep 19 05 07:01 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Meg B wrote:
I recently left a shoot becuase the photographer was touchy. I'm not proud of it but hey I was not comfortable.

Why not attend a FULL shoot of a fellow model/or photographer friend and watch...QUIETLY from the sidelines. That way you can then decide whether
modeling & photo shoots are what you want to do or not.

Mollie

Sep 19 05 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

mollie_lane wrote:
Yessssss....I am feisty, but in order to be a SUPER female law grad I have to achieve BRUTAL and then I get gold-plated brass knuckles to prove it.

We will have a screaming match then!  You with your gold-plated brass knuckle and I will fling you tons of dunk once I am Pile High and Deep.  smile  I will die, but you will certainly stink!  smile

Hm, you are so likeable, just like that redhead in SATC...what's her name?

Sep 20 05 01:21 am Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

lll wrote:

We will have a screaming match then!  You with your gold-plated brass knuckle and I will fling you tons of dunk once I am Pile High and Deep.  smile  I will die, but you will certainly stink!  smile

Hm, you are so likeable, just like that redhead in SATC...what's her name?

LLL........
A redhead SATC?

But before you can die and I can stink...I would have to AGREE to a screaming match first. The first rule in warfare is to PICK your battles wisely.
Sorry, but I'll pass.

smile

Mollie

Sep 20 05 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

mollie_lane wrote:
A redhead SATC?

Sorry, occupational symptom (lots of acronyms).

I was talking about Cynthia Nixon in Sex And The City (SATC).  She plays the feisty lawyer Miranda.

Sep 20 05 04:58 pm Link

Model

Barbray

Atlanta, Georgia, US

lll wrote:

Sorry, occupational symptom (lots of acronyms).

I was talking about Cynthia Nixon in Sex And The City (SATC).  She plays the feisty lawyer Miranda.

Thanks for clarifying. I did wonder.
And she hid her brass knuckles soooooooo well too!

wink

Mollie

Sep 20 05 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

This is a ridiculous discussion.  The issue is open and honest communication not touching.

I touch ADULT models all the time in various places we would not normally, and will not be doing it in any other situation.  I am conscious of the fragility of the situation and I will ask and remind them that no matter what, if they are not comfortable to tell me.  If I have to touch them for any reason I ask again, and sometimes again, if this is fine with them.

Here is a simple example.  The model wishes to lay with her head over the edge of the bed in a corset.  When she does this the corset she is wearing is sliding up over her breasts and we cannot take the shot in that condition.  She must get up to correct it and then bend backwards again and the corset rises again.  After a few attempts I will have to grab the corset and adjust it and the parts inside of it.

There are many more which do not need to be described in detail.

It is has no sexual connotation and the model does not feel that there is any violation because it is appropriate and necessary to accomplish our goal..

There are times when adjusting the model to suit her own wishes is the only expedient way to do.  This is particularly true for new inexperienced models who have no idea how to pose or follow or understand some concepts.  Certainly if she has stated that she finds anything offensive then it does not happen.  She also has to tell me to turn the heat up sometimes in order to not be cold.

I think this is a communication issue and both parties must be cognisant of THERE responsibility to communicate all that is right and wrong as it happens and leave no room for either to error.  Keeping silent and the complaining later is foul ball unless of course there is some threat or fearful behaviour going on. 

REMEMBER it is always correct to describe how you are feeling at any time during a shoot.  If the photographer does not listen go home immediately..

Sep 20 05 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

IVMPHOTO

Centreville, Alabama, US

Udo R wrote:

I usually demonstrate it myself... and often get a chuckle out of it... wink

I do the same:)

Sep 21 05 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

SDPhoto

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

I also do the demonstration pose, it seems to help the models, and make them feel more comfortable.

On the touching side, I generally will move the model around some if I cannot get what I want her to do across in words or gestures.  Much depends on the situation, and the models attitude and comfort level.  I have never had the need to adjust a ladies ass.

The other day I was taking pictures of a lady, and went to adjust her angle to the lights, and the curve of her back, and she told me that I was causing her extreme pain.  Seems she had been in an accident and had broken her back in some way.  I had hardly put any pressure on her, but was expecting her to move in a way that she could not do without causing her pain.  First time this has happened to me, and is something to consider in the future.

Sep 22 05 11:03 am Link

Model

Ms Sharmaine

Detroit, Michigan, US

I totally agree.  I have a problem with strangers in general touching me.  If you move my hair, or readjust my arm or leg..no big deal.  But when you are slapping me on my behind and grabbing other parts, I get pissed pretty quickly.  I may look sweet and innocent... I did recieve military training.  LOL

Sep 22 05 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Imagemakersphoto

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

As a photographer I have had to show (I mimic) what I want. If an adjustment is needed I try to tell them what is needed. If I feel that they just are not getting it I may ask if I can adjust them. By touching what is ment. I will pull on clothes to get it into the right place so the model does not have to move and loose the pose. I ask and tell them what I am going to do. I think there is a problem if the touching is not for adjusting. We should all try to be professionals. A Photographer needs to get the shot. The model needs to pose. Some times help is needed.

I do always communicate with the model before the shoot and explain what I want. If adjustments are needed I will ask before touching (then it is clothes, sholder, ankle, arm, and so on).

If a model is uncomfortable they need to tell the photographer. Maybe it was a miss communication, maybe not. If not then I would leave if I were a model. A professional does not want a model who feels uncomfortabe around him/her. A professional should be respectful.

Sep 23 05 04:47 pm Link

Model

Brynhild

I'm sorry you had that experience.  At the very least he should have warned you before touching you.  Moving a foot or arm is very different than touching your butt!  Like Udo R said, touching a butt isn't a very good way to adjust a model, unless he wants her to pose her way out the door. :\
Maybe he just wasn't very good at communicating his vision.
Regardless, there is a line, and he (wanted to or not) crossed it.

I certainly hope you're more outspoken next time if anything makes you uncomfortable.  Because if you don't say anything, the photographer won't know that what he is doing is making you uncomfortable.

Sep 23 05 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

This is a tough one, unless I was there to see what occurred.  I don't ever touch a model unless I ask permission first. But there are times that I've ask to touch, because she just wasn't getting my verbal instruction. She looked wrong and, after asking permission, I gently moved her hand to where it looked correct.  I don't believe all models realize that how one would normally pose is not the most accurate form to capture on film/digital.  But, he should have ask you first for permission to touch - or he may have been behind schedule.  I really don't know.  I do know that after asking one model probably 20 times if I could 'approach and touch" to adjust her hair or to rip a tag out of her panties (that would have ruined the shot) she just said "you don't have to ask - just do it." I still asked ... it's called respect and professionalism.

That said, I have a regular model I shoot - and she could care less if I approach and rearrange her. Just her style, but I still ask permission first. The earlier comment about Communication is the key to this question - if you're uncomfortable, then say so. Photographers cannot read minds (I'm working on it, but since most models are female, I'm totally confused on what I pick up in my ESP sessions - some secret code or something ;o)

Cheers, Tim

Sep 23 05 05:16 pm Link