Forums > Model Colloquy > Short and Naked

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

I have begun noticing a trend among the shoots I have done recently.
Basically, no matter what the original intentions of the shoot were, I always end up naked or close to it. In all honesty, I enjoy being naked and am completely comfortable in my own skin. However, whether someone starts the shoot with the intention of doing goth/fetish/alternative/etc fashions, it always progresses to nudity in some form.

Is it because I'm very small, and the fashion idea just doesn't work?
This is one theory I've come up with. Perhaps small bodies don't always look good in clothes, but usually work well for nudes. Photographers don't seem to want to shoot small, clothed models. They want to shoot tall, skinny, long-legged models. (Oh well. I won't be growing anytime soon.)

Another theory is photographers are taking advantage of the fact that I will pose nude. I don't mean this as taking advantage of me, but taking advantage of the opportunity to shoot someone in the nude. There are plenty of beautiful models who would never remove their clothes, and so when given the chance, the photogs go for it.

The problem is, as much as I enjoy being naked, I've realized my portfolio has become overrun with nakedness, and although I know how much everyone loves naked pictures, I really need more diversity.

Any input?

Sep 19 05 09:06 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

In another 50 years, your grandchildren can look at the shots and say, "Damn! Grandma was a hottie!"

And that ain't so bad, is it?

... Well, except for that whole Oedipal connotation.

Sep 19 05 09:12 pm Link

Model

Isobel Wren

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

A shoot "progresses to nudity"?  During the shoot or during talks about shooting?  It would be really weird if it were the former!  I hope you'd get nude rates for your morphing shoot. 

Perhaps it's because you're open to nudity and we're all just pervs who want to see hot naked girls?  I know that most of the time when I leave myself open a photog. (especially GWCs) will shoot for the stars until he's limited by me or his wallet.

Sep 19 05 09:14 pm Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
In another 50 years, your grandchildren can look at the shots and say, "Damn! Grandma was a hottie!"

And that ain't so bad, is it?

... Well, except for that whole Oedipal connotation.

It sure would make reminiscing over family photo albums a bit more interesting.

Sep 19 05 09:20 pm Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

Isobel Wren wrote:
A shoot "progresses to nudity"?  During the shoot or during talks about shooting?  It would be really weird if it were the former!  I hope you'd get nude rates for your morphing shoot.

During the shoot. As the shoot goes on, less clothing is used, and eventually the photographer will ask if I am comfortable doing sheer or topless. Other than one instance, I have only done full nudity when that was the intention of the shoot, as with artistic nudes.

Sep 19 05 09:23 pm Link

Model

Isobel Wren

DUDE!  TELL me you're getting the higher rates for that.  I'd be super bitter if I weren't getting nude rates but was posing nude.  Unless, of course, you're lucky enough to be in an area where you're able to get higher fetish rates than nude rates. 

Are you okay with this?  Is it just that you're looking to do some clothed shots?

I'd say if you're okay with it maybe "tease" them about changing the stakes mid shoot, "sugar, if you'd wanted nudes, you could have asked me in the first place"

If you're looking to get some clothed stuff, I guess volunteer for TFCD w/ great photogs who would offer up good clothed work for mutual portfolio advancement?

...is it only in Va and points south that "sugar" is an acceptable substitute for name?

Sep 19 05 09:31 pm Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

Isobel Wren wrote:
DUDE!  TELL me you're getting the higher rates for that.  I'd be super bitter if I weren't getting nude rates but was posing nude.  Unless, of course, you're lucky enough to be in an area where you're able to get higher fetish rates than nude rates. 

Are you okay with this?  Is it just that you're looking to do some clothed shots?

To tell you the truth I've only very recently started requesting compensation. Don't worry, I've been yelled at before for not having charged for nudes. So really, pay hasn't been an issue. (Modeling is something I do mostly for fun, although it is nice to do something fun for profit.)

I'm alright with it, but I really need to do something other than nudes. I feel like my portfolio is saying, "Look at me! I'm an exhibitionist! Come take naked pictures of me!" and that isn't really the message I'm looking to send.

Sep 19 05 09:39 pm Link

Model

Isobel Wren

Sorry babe, didn't mean to appear to yell at you.  I was worried that you were being taken advantage of, but if you're cool with it, en't no one being taken.

So just get some clothed shots if you're that worried.  It'll be easy.  I actually think your profile looks fine.

Sep 19 05 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

I was going to ask if it just happened or if the photographers asked, but I see you've already answered that.  I've had a ton of shoots where I've never asked, never said a word, and clothes just kept falling off the model until there weren't any.  All I can assume is that models saw all my existing work and felt comfortable enough during the shoot to just go for it.  Of course, we walk around naked a lot in this part of California anyway, so it's not as big a thing here smile  And I shoot 99% tfp, so the money isn't an issue.

Guys, at least straight ones, will rarely object to the presence of a nude woman in front of their camera (of course you already knew that smile  Most will probably ask if they think the model might not object.  But most experienced photographers should be fine with also doing a bunch of fully clothed shots, and the clothed shots you have posted are fine.  Just talk it out up front, or even when they pop the question; tell them exactly what you said in this thread.  Most will understand and will try to work with you.  That way you each get what you desire.

Sep 19 05 09:58 pm Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Hmm..well getting a model naked or nearly so is aways my intention...but you know that  before you walk through the door.

If I wanted to coax and plead for a women to get naked I'd get married!

Paul

Sep 20 05 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Fungi Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

It leads me to wondering...    How much experience do these photographers have that you've worked with?

I'm inclined to think that any amateur-turning-pro photographer is going to always push towards shooting nudes.  First and foremost, a lot of it would have to do with not having had much opportunity to have done so previously.  If nothing else, it's good for bragging about the next time the guys get together at the pub.

I think that only in rare occasions would it have an actual sexual motivation behind it.

Sep 20 05 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

Nudity sells.
Therefore, Nudity is good.

nyx, I would shoot you nude, I might shoto you clothed if I was forced to....

But then again, I only use nudes so........

I think it is a mixture of things.

first, and probably foremost is your willingness.
second is probably the photogs you work with.
They probably wanted to shoot nudes with you fromthe start, but were afraid of you saying no.

Much easier for them to try to get you nude while you are there because they can see your comfort level with it.

I once shot a girl that never did nudes.
The shoot involved being topless. Once she felt comfortable being topless, she progressed on her own to nudes with almost no coaxing.

i think photogs that have had that experience just once, see that it is better to progress while you are there, then online.

Just my opinion.

Sep 20 05 06:20 am Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Did you talk w/ the photographer before the shoot on the content of what you needed?

Sep 20 05 07:00 am Link

Model

DawnElizabeth

Madison, Mississippi, US

Hmmmm.......

Sep 20 05 07:03 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

You remind me of Cleopatra... GREAT ASP!  ;-)

Studio36

Sep 20 05 07:50 am Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

Fungi Photography wrote:
It leads me to wondering...    How much experience do these photographers have that you've worked with?

While most of them wouldn't be considered pro, as they do have day jobs, they have all been far from amature. The majority of offers I recieve are from guys who just want to see me naked, but I know better than that.

Sep 20 05 07:53 am Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

Farenell Photography wrote:
Did you talk w/ the photographer before the shoot on the content of what you needed?

What I needed never concerned me all that much. I model mostly for fun, and have so far done more what the photographer has wanted than what my portfolio could actually use. But really, my portfolio could use more clothing.

Sep 20 05 07:56 am Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

nyx wrote:
I feel like my portfolio is saying, "Look at me! I'm an exhibitionist! Come take naked pictures of me!

Nothing wrong with this if your getting paid? If they started out clothed why not put some of those up on your port then? We only see the photos you put up, so put up some of the good clothed shots if you have any that you think are good.

Sep 20 05 08:00 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Isobel Wren wrote:
Perhaps it's because you're open to nudity and we're all just pervs who want to see hot naked girls?

I am a pe..., errr... I mean... open person... big_smile but I don't shoot nudes unless requested (not getting requests tho).

I guess there is more than money involved..., and she may be enjoying the admiration that her naked body receives - not all artistic expressions and desires are for monetary compensation!

Sep 20 05 08:01 am Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

I belive that this is a product of bad planning.

You should go into a shoot with an idea and how to accomplish that idea. 'plan the work', 'work the plan. This does also give you flexability for serendipity.

Most GWC's don't have a plan so they will slowly try to undress their model. There are Models who get into the 'moment' and just want to get nude.

GWC just want to be in the presence of a woman. They don't really care about the images as much as they just want to be near a nude chick. This seems to be their primary motive.

M

Sep 20 05 08:09 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

All in all you seem very comfotable being nude in front of the camera.

Sometimes shoots turn and turn.

You seem apt to go with the flow, which is comendable.

Sep 20 05 08:37 am Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:
If they started out clothed why not put some of those up on your port then? We only see the photos you put up, so put up some of the good clothed shots if you have any that you think are good.

That's the problem. What clothed images I do have aren't very good. I suppose I just look better naked.

Sep 20 05 09:09 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Isobel Wren wrote:

Nude rates? Am I the only model who does not charge per square inch of bare flesh?

Sep 20 05 09:37 am Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

theda wrote:
Nude rates? Am I the only model who does not charge per square inch of bare flesh?

The way I figure, if I'm posing nude, they better be giving me some damn good pizza.

Sep 20 05 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm not an athority on what other photographers want but I'm a fan of short beautiful women. Short women do the best nudes imo, and you have an especially beautiful body, so I would want nudes and be up front about it but I'd by no means require it. Have you told these photographers you need more clothed work? Short women look good clothed too despite the fashion inustries height standards and any photographer lucky enough to have tfp nudes with you should gladly accomodate your needs. As for your compensation, do you have a set slice per hour rate or is it more a pizza per job type thing? wink

Sep 20 05 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Well, you're never going to be a fashion model. I would say get up with CCBill and a web designer and open yourself up a fetish site. That way all those nude shoots you've done, you can keep doing them and make money at the same time....

Wow, what a brilliant concept!

Sep 20 05 10:37 am Link

Photographer

House of DL

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I do agree with most of the posts.

Have a plan with the photographer and follow the plan, if no nudes were discussed then do not do it, have that for another shoot. I sit down with the models and we plan everything. Only on two occasions I have done unplanned nudes and that was at the models request ( idea).

You do look good in the nude and have some interesting nudes to show.  How clothes look on you maybe part of the problem but the photograoher should still make every effort to make you look the best you can be in the outfit you are wearing! Different angles does alot!

Maybe seek out a stylist first and see what looks best on you and then seek out a photographer who will capture those images for you!

Sep 20 05 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Timecatcher Photography

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

how about saying "no"? If you don't want more nudes, then don't pose for them. What's so hard about that?

Sep 20 05 10:51 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

nyx wrote:

The way I figure, if I'm posing nude, they better be giving me some damn good pizza.

You are not the only starving model out there... big_smile

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/Miscellaneous/Sny-Nu_FMxr_333.jpg

Sep 20 05 12:04 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

theda wrote:

Nope.

Sep 20 05 12:18 pm Link

Model

SexyCandy

Vienna, Georgia, US

I think the shoot should be talked about before it happens and what ever is said should be the only thign that happens. Like I will not do any nude shots unless it is a pay shoot.

Sep 20 05 01:09 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

nyx wrote:
This is one theory I've come up with. Perhaps small bodies don't always look good in clothes, but usually work well for nudes. Photographers don't seem to want to shoot small, clothed models. They want to shoot tall, skinny, long-legged models. (Oh well. I won't be growing anytime soon.)

Any input?

Negative. I have the same problem, and I am tall, skinny, and long-legged.

Maybe you feel more comfortable when you're naked, but also feel like you deserve more compensation?

Sep 20 05 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Zachary Reed

Denver, Colorado, US

um just my thoughts but if a nude shoot hasnt been discussed then yo should not end up nude. your height shouldnt matter. all the girls in my portfolio right now are under 5'5"

Sep 20 05 01:16 pm Link

Model

dpretty

Ashland, Alabama, US

Isobel Wren wrote:

I'd say if you're okay with it maybe "tease" them about changing the stakes mid shoot, "sugar, if you'd wanted nudes, you could have asked me in the first place"

If you're looking to get some clothed stuff, I guess volunteer for TFCD w/ great photogs who would offer up good clothed work for mutual portfolio advancement?

...is it only in Va and points south that "sugar" is an acceptable substitute for name?

I have very few "practical" modeling offers because I live in such a remote area. Recently I have been more forthright about my availability as a TFP model. I only do casual and fashion. I think this has seriously decreased the interest that the few traveling photographers had in me.

Hmmm...I've got an idea!
I could make one profile where I only do nudes, and charge...
And one where I only do casual!

That way...there will be no confusion.

Sep 20 05 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

nyx wrote:
What I needed never concerned me all that much. I model mostly for fun, and have so far done more what the photographer has wanted than what my portfolio could actually use. But really, my portfolio could use more clothing.

From what it sounds like during shoots, you're getting more nude work because (for whatever the reasons) you have not spoken up and asked to do clothed work. There's nothing wrong where you can't do both during the same shoot.

Coupled all this together, it doesn't sound like either of you has talked to the other beforehand it terms of what you want to get out of the shoot. Plus photographers see nudework in your portfolio (which in itself is fine) & you have no quams about doing it. Therefore this leads to you have a glut of finished images that you can't use or want.

Speak up, next time. You'd be surprised how many of us photographers will be accomodating.

Sep 20 05 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

What they said - just tell the photographer of your desire to have some really attractive shots of youself, in your favorite outfits - and I'd be shooked if you have any trouble.  Most I would imagine, would be eager to do their best for you.  I'm always planning to shoot a big part of any project for a models own needs.  As long as I get the shots I'm looking for . . and she is getting shots that she has wanted - we are both winners.

Your post certainly doesn't show that you have any set intent to do ALL nudes, so work with the photographer and get some winning shots with your clothes on.  I mean it's not like they are contracting with you for all nudes anyway.  (that would be a different kettle of fish then)

I don't think height has anything at all to do with clothed or nude being better for a model.  (It just might be the limitation for runway et. al)  But, I have noticed that models that I have working with, that have had your kind of confidence while working nude, have also been very interesting to shoot clothed.  If you have a comfort level and confidence in yourself while nude - it can certainly carry over to clothed shots.

Sep 20 05 04:25 pm Link

Model

PaleGothGoddess

Bay City, Michigan, US

Ok, if ending up naked all the time is a problem then don't take your clothes off. It's not a hard thing to say "No" during a shoot. 
Just my opinion.
~Pale~

Sep 20 05 05:21 pm Link

Model

ArtModel

Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

What do you want to do?

If you want to shoot nude, it's a mute point. Welcome wink

But from what you've said more sounds like you're aware that you haven't been granted the same opportunity for your nude work that you have with your clothed work.

There are a couple of ways that comes about... A photographer is interested in shooting you nude but doesn't ask, books you for a shoot and you both know there's nude work, or as the shoot progresses the photographer "realizes" how great you'd be naked. Whatever the case, most people put more effort into what they like and/or are interested in. If that means the photographer is more interested in nude than clothed, for most photographers (not all), that interest (or lack of) will be reflected in the images. That doesn't mean YOU as a model are better or worse in either category. Judge a photographer by their pics - not a model. So how do you get better pics of yourself with clothes on? You can work with photographers on a strictly clothed basis, develop rapport with a photographer and work with them often, look at their portofolio of CLOTHED models before you shoot with them...I guess this is where I exit because I am nude model and don't work with my clothes on big_smile

Sep 20 05 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Men want to drink beer and see something naked and you're wondering why all your shots end up being nudes?

Sep 20 05 06:49 pm Link

Photographer

ProShotPhoto

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

nyx wrote:
I have begun noticing a trend among the shoots I have done recently.
Basically, no matter what the original intentions of the shoot were, I always end up naked or close to it. In all honesty, I enjoy being naked and am completely comfortable in my own skin. However, whether someone starts the shoot with the intention of doing goth/fetish/alternative/etc fashions, it always progresses to nudity in some form.

Another theory is photographers are taking advantage of the fact that I will pose nude. I don't mean this as taking advantage of me, but taking advantage of the opportunity to shoot someone in the nude. There are plenty of beautiful models who would never remove their clothes, and so when given the chance, the photogs go for it.

The problem is, as much as I enjoy being naked, I've realized my portfolio has become overrun with nakedness, and although I know how much everyone loves naked pictures, I really need more diversity.

Any input?

Your portfolio advertises primarily nudity.  The photographer buys what you put on the shelf.

Sep 20 05 10:44 pm Link