Forums > General Industry > How Disabled is "Too Disabled" for Modeling?

Model

Jen Tonik

Escondido, California, US

Someone had posted a topic a bit like this, but I'm curious about it regarding more apparent disabilities I guess.

I'm paralyzed from a spinal cord injury from about the waist down. Are my chances completely shot? I mean, I look completely normal in my physical appearance --€” you would never really be able to guess unless you actually saw me using the chair, and although I can't stand or walk I can get out of the chair and position myself however needed.

I know there's catalogs (usually department stores) out there that feature an image with someone in a chair/crutches/ETC., but I find those to be rather trite. Please tell me that sort aren't my only option? I don't want that factor to even be known in the photograph. I'm not trying to hide it, it's just that for one, I perceive the chair as merely a tool, and not definitive of me or, more importantly, what I could potentially offer; second, it shouldn't have any significance unless relevant to the subject theme of the shot, you know?

Also, what specifically should I say to a photographer and overall etiquette regarding that? I have mention of it on my profile, yet it seems a bit much. I don't want to make it a bigger deal than it is and end up detracting offers because, well, it's NOT a big deal. Concurrently, I don't want to get an offer and after-the-fact have to give an "Oh, by the way...!".

Ah, I dunno, just any thoughts on that too would be helpful. I'm rambling. Hopefully someone can kind'a know what I'm getting at and maybe answer me. Thanks!

May 09 07 04:47 am Link

Photographer

fbimagery

New Liskeard, Ontario, Canada

You asked, so I am answering....you have great opportunities!!!....I recently did a shoot for a hospital lottery...and last year put together a 12-month calender shoot, specifically dealing with your situation....there are so many areas that need someone as pretty and expressive as yourself...dont let any negatives stop you from doing what it is you want to do!!!!!. Best of luck!

May 09 07 04:52 am Link

Photographer

vanscottie

Winnetka, California, US

there's always artist portraiture - it doesn't pay much but if you're into it it can be a very rewarding experience.

May 09 07 05:08 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

depends on what kind of modeling you're interested in doing!

according to your profile, you're interested in having fun and creating art... both of which are very reasonable goals. "art" is a much broader term than "commercial print" or "fashion editorial" - look for photographers in your area whose images you like, and ask them if they're looking for a model. if they are, let them know your situation, and see if they're still interested.

good luck smile

May 09 07 05:12 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

If I was blind, would I still be able to focus my camera?

I am not being mean, but you aren't going to be a bike messenger anytime soon either. What type of modeling arer you thinking of? Do you expect to make a full time living off of modeling?

I know of exactly one actor who is paralized and has a career, one deaf woman, and one man who had a glass eye. Modeling involves movement, just as singing involes the use of your voice.

Perhaps you see me as being a dream crusher, but I can't even really understand what your question is...

Star

May 09 07 05:17 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'm new to modeling, and am looking to develop a portfolio. I love art in whatever form it might be, and have been finding ways of creating my own self-expression ever since I can remember. I thought it might be interesting to do just that without being the one behind the sketchbook or camera, and just kind of want to have fun with it. I’m easy to work with and would really enjoy collaborating with creative, professional photographers (preferably local, unless their style REALLY catches my eye) who like experimenting with new methods and ideas for each creation while I build up my experience. I frequently bounce back and forth between southern and central California and am always looking for new job opportunities.

Her goals are definitely achievable, even with her disability.

Making money is another situation entirely, but it doesn't seem that the OP is focused too much in that direction.

That's what MM is for - having fun, collaborating, networking, connecting people who are interested in modeling but aren't necessarily agency material with photographers of all skill levels.

May 09 07 05:19 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

If you want to model for fun and some side money, there should be no reason why you can't do it. However, commercial and catalog modeling is extremely competitive to begin with. At 5', you do not meet the minimum requirement regardless of your disability. I applaud you for your free spirit but realistically, there is no career in modeling for you. But don't let that stop you from expressing yourself creatively in front of the lens.

May 09 07 05:21 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

Considering you seem more into it from an art perspective is a great start. You'd be surprised the number of girls who think that at 5'3 they're going to walk the runway.

I think if you did more art work, you could definitely become successful. Does succesful mean making a career out of it, probably not, but you never know.

You seem like a positive person and don't view your disability as a curse.... I think you'll be fine. smile

May 09 07 05:24 am Link

Model

AuLa

West Hollywood, California, US

Star wrote:

I am not being mean, but you aren't going to be a bike messenger anytime soon either. What type of modeling are you thinking of? Do you expect to make a full time living off of modeling?

I know of exactly one actor who is paralized and has a career, one deaf woman, and one man who had a glass eye. Modeling involves movement, just as singing involes the use of your voice.

Perhaps you see me as being a dream crusher, but I can't even really understand what your question is...

Star

Her question is:
Are my chances completely shot?

Your answer is:
Uncalled for.

May 09 07 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Aussie Guevara wrote:
Her question is:

Your answer is:
Uncalled for.

Her answer was called for....it's just presumptuous, moderately tactless and wrong.

I personally wouldn't respect the vision of a photographer that couldn't make things work with any genuinely artistically driven model.

To the OP: If you're looking for a little inspiration, look at the top right shot of my 9th image and then look here. I shot with her earlier this year and thoroughly love everything that came of the experience.

May 09 07 05:35 am Link

Model

AuLa

West Hollywood, California, US

∅ wrote:

Her answer was called for....just presumptuous and moderately tactless.

I personally wouldn't respect the artistic vision of a photographer that couldn't make things work with any genuinely artistically driven model.

To the OP: If you're looking for a little inspiration, look at the top right shot of my 9th image and then look here. I shot with her earlier this year and thoroughly love everything that came of the experience.

Poor choice of English words on my part.

Tactless does sound better.

May 09 07 05:38 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Aussie Guevara wrote:
Poor choice of English words on my part.

Tactless does sound better.

But you are correct: It was a knee-jerk reaction on her part that disregarded the OP's actual expectations and intentions.

May 09 07 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Larry Brown Camera

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

Star.... is way out of line

My dear young lady, I would work with you in a heart-beat and there is no doubt we could create some really stunning images!

May 09 07 05:43 am Link

Photographer

PYPI FASHION

San Francisco, California, US

Star wrote:

Technically yes but composition would be another story.

May 09 07 05:46 am Link

Model

Veronica Bee

Melbourne, Arkansas, US

Star wrote:

I am not being mean, but you aren't going to be a bike messenger anytime soon either. What type of modeling arer you thinking of? Do you expect to make a full time living off of modeling?

Star

Why are you even on this site?
You don't know the first thing about modeling do you?

Modeling does consist of movement, how ever, she has made it perfectly clear she can maneuver herself.
She is beautiful with fine and elegant physique, obviously has more brains then you too.

a singer without a voice.. a photographer who is blind? what extremely stupid examples.. and I actually happen to know of a blind photographer.. anythings possible..

Don't give up, this man is a perfect example of those who aren't likely to work with you.. but you don't need to associate with ppl like him anyway. Goodluck wink.

May 09 07 05:48 am Link

Photographer

RockyF

San Diego, California, US

May 09 07 05:49 am Link

Photographer

DHayes Photography

Richmond, Virginia, US

RockyF wrote:

May 09 07 06:11 am Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

Aussie Guevara wrote:

Her question is:

Your answer is:
Uncalled for.

I *like* you! Ditto!

All the best,
Britt

*to the OP, happy shooting!

May 09 07 06:26 am Link

Model

MsHeidi

Jessheim, Akershus, Norway

I beleive you can do almost enything you want, of cours you can model, you just can't do shoots that involve staning up! cataloge work is a good starts, they always have pictures of girls/wommen sitting on chairs and laying down, so why shouldn't they use you? I think you have a pretty face, a litle hard to see you body, but I say Go for it! Shoot as much as possible and have fun!

Good luck and all the best to you!

May 09 07 06:27 am Link

Photographer

magicphoto

Kettering, Maryland, US

There is no doubt about it. I would work with you. You have a nice look and good facial bone structure. Anyone not able to see that and not want to explorer your look is not worth a hill of beans. You keep going, I expect to see some good images of you and from you.

May 09 07 06:30 am Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

Star wrote:

Star

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

May 09 07 06:36 am Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

With a positive attitude like yours, anything is possible!

You don't let your disability stop you from doing the other things you want to do, so why should modeling be any different?

I can't wait to see your portfolio when it's all filled up smile

May 09 07 06:38 am Link

Model

JoJo

Clearwater, Florida, US

Reading your port and your question demonstrates to me that you really don’t have a disability, you have ability.

You have already proven that you can deal with the cruelest part of being disabled, the other people on this planet. Dealing with photographers and models will be a cake-walk for you.

May 09 07 08:19 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Veronica Bee wrote:
Why are you even on this site?
You don't know the first thing about modeling do you?

Actually, she's quite well-versed. If you're going to admonish someone for being misinformed and presumptuous, don't do so while sitting in the same pool of water.

May 09 07 08:23 am Link

Photographer

dcsmooth

Detroit, Michigan, US

As already mentioned, a positive attitude is everything. You have a lot of good things going for you, and can certainly do some modeling. Will you find frequent assignments? No one can say for certain.

Look at the portfolio of Alex N here on MM, she is quadriplegic and still creates some excellent work with assistance in posing. She is very determined and tries hard to give her best. Alex doesn't think she is too handicapped to be a model, and has proven herself as a very capable model. If she can do it, you certainly can too!
https://modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=222108

I agree that you would be perfect for modeling for artists. If you are comfortable with the required nudity, life drawing or painting classes at a local college or art center would love to pay you to pose for them. I specilaize in creating sets of reference images of a wide variety of poses which artists who have no model available can use to draw and paint from. If you were local and interersted in that type of work, I would definitely like to work with you on a regular basis.

May 09 07 08:27 am Link

Model

TiffanyB

Clinton, Mississippi, US

Heather Mills has one good leg, the other artificial. She did an outstanding job on Dancing With The Stars but what if she asked people if they thought she could compete with the Waltz, Rumba, etc? What if they said No Way, are you crazy?
I could ask for opinions all day long if I can do this or that but the story would change with each individual.
What is the most important question for me is this. Do I Think I can do this? Can I give it my all and make it work in some way? Mind over matter. You are a beautiful young lady and in this world of advertising and art, anything is possible.
It's the same with selling a product. You talk people into the idea of how this product can benefit them so they see the potential of what they can make from it. It's the same with yourself. Market the awesome qualities you have and what you can offer and who knows what could happen.
I wish you great success and admire you for your strength. Many could learn from you.
xoxox
Tiffany

May 09 07 08:39 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

One of the models who's in multiple images on my portfolio is paralyzed on the left side of her body, arm & leg both.  She does alt, art, and semi nude modeling & has worked with numerous photographers in this area.  She doesn't make a living at it but she gets some bookings, some cash, and a lot of cool photos.
So it can be done smile

May 09 07 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Fred T

Winter Park, Colorado, US

You're so beautiful

I would like to see you put on a couple more pounds , tho

Don't get discouraged , tho .

after an accident I had to re - teach myself to walk .

It has a lot to do with ( hard to explain ) density and confidence .

good luck in all

Fred

May 09 07 09:47 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Making a living solely from income derived as a model is probably not attainable for most people in the world, regardless of physical abilities / disabilities.

Even those who can do it, usually cannot do it for life - the window on a modelling career is often very narrow.

Creating beautiful images on the other hand is completely attainable if you work at it, and choose good people to work with.

I was going to refer you to Alex N.'s profile (she is quadriplegic and models), but I see a few people already have.

May 09 07 10:00 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Playboy did a layout on a girl, some years back, who was paralized from the waist down.  I can't remember if she was a Playmate or not.  I remember that the spread was beautiful.

May 09 07 10:09 am Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

I'd be happy to work with you, although since I have no idea where "Clovis" is I'm guessing you're not local.  I would think a lot of art photographers would be more than happy to work with you.  You just need to do a shoot or two with somebody experienced to get your confidence up and get some experience in figuring out how to work around your injury in a modeling context.

May 09 07 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Star wrote:

http://www.seeingbeyondsight.org/

May 09 07 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Beyond

Tustin, California, US

One of my favorite male models in my magazine is actually disabled, but he's one of my best friends and we work around it in such a way that people would never know.

Next week I'm doing a pin-up shoot in London with a model who suffers from MS. I can tell that she's going to be great and she's really looking forward to it.

In the end it's really about what the goal is of the final product and how that can be achieved while working with or around your disability. I say go for it! Heck even Playboy had a disabled Playmate, as someone may have mentioned here.

Send me a line and I'd love to work with you sometime. smile

~ Chris Beyond

May 09 07 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

S A Y E R

Southern Pines, North Carolina, US

Star wrote:

Star

All models that enter into modeling as a hobby or profession need help from working professionals to help them realistically gauge what options there are for them in this industry. That is what the OP is asking and I think your response was a tad callous  and not very well thought out. Just ask Stevie Wonder or Heather Mills or Helen Keller or countless others who have overcome disabilities to prove naysayers wrong.

Realistically I don't see the OP rocking the runway anytime soon...especially at 5'0", but work as an artist's model or countless other specializations are wholly within reason if the OP has enough determination and drive.

May 09 07 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Ridwan

Sterling, Virginia, US

BLESS YOU GIRL!!

I would shoot with you in a heart beat because you are a REAL human being...

Your not trying to make a career out of this... so why should ANYTHING stop you...

Im never gonna play in the NBA does that mean i should never pick up a basketball and play...

Any photographer that says it would be impossible to shoot you isnt creative enough to come up with a way to do it...

You are beautiful and you are positive...

More power to you in WHATEVER you choose to do... and never let ANYBODY tell you you cant do something... the only limitation is the one in their minds and souls...

peace
ridwan

May 09 07 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Where is Clovis? My camera is ready.

May 09 07 03:35 pm Link

Model

Carpe Diem Lovelies

Definitely keep it in your profile, 'cause it's part of who you are.
And keep shooting and make lots of beautiful photos along the way!!!

May 09 07 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

Ridwan wrote:
BLESS YOU GIRL!!
...Im never gonna play in the NBA does that mean i should never pick up a basketball and play...peace
ridwan

Bravo! Well said.

May 09 07 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Aussie Guevara wrote:
Her question is:

Your answer is:
Uncalled for.

I treated her as a human being, regardless of a disability. I think she might enjoy someone being on the level with her. Having a disability does not make you weak, or less able than anyone else. Treating someone differently than anyone else with cell phone pics is a disservice to her and to me.

Anyone else on the site posting with no photos to speak of and at 5 foot 0 inches and severe limitations on movement would be told they were not model material. But if a person with a disability asks, I am told I am being a heartless monster for being truthful.

Her having a diability does not make her disabled, only other people can do that to her. Reacting to her photos differently than anyone else, ands treating her differently, that makes her disabled in your eyes.

May 09 07 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

K -- O

Boonsboro, Maryland, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
Where is Clovis? My camera is ready.

NorthEast of Fresno

May 09 07 03:49 pm Link