Forums > Photography Talk > HOT LIGHTS vs. STROBES...photog and models opinion

Photographer

Pete Harasty

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mark Heaps wrote:
So I understand the appeal of Strobes but I've found they tend to be a bit more expensive then hotlights and because I shoot exclusively digital setting my white balance to any lighting isn't a problem.  So why shoot with strobes which can hurt the eyes as opposed to shooting with Hot Lights?  Previously I know hot lights were exactly that...HOT...but with new bulbs they stay cool to the touch, and I really don't know any model that minds being warm while they are posing in a studio unless they have a lot of costume on for the shoot.

So what say you all, give me a detremental reason to not buy all hot lights for my studio.  I have remote flashes as I need them, but why not hot lights...

advice is appreciated always.

you should have both!

Nov 19 08 11:18 am Link

Photographer

MarQuest Edwards

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

R Nello  wrote:
I love stobes...  and don't forget that they have built in hot lights too.  (i.e. the modeling lights)    Just adjust your white balance and shoot away. 

The expensive brands -like profoto- will have much brighter modeling lights, which will make this kind of approach much easier.

But yeah, in terms of "pleasantness"  strobes are much easier on a model than hot lights.

I AGREE

Nov 19 08 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Andre Schneider

Los Angeles, California, US

Mark Heaps wrote:

I could understand the sweat factor, I'm a sweat monster regardless...thankfully not a stinky one. yikes)  But you can get cool to the touch halogen's now that are almost a pure white and are fairly affordable.  Ever try em?

An HMI is about 4-5 times more expensive than a tungsten light... So I don't know what kind of cool light you are looking at, but I wouldn't say it's affordable... :-)

Nov 19 08 11:52 am Link

Photographer

JACOBFAKHERI

Abbott, Texas, US

I'm one of those people that likes to fit the tool to the job.

If I'm shooting something where people are moving quickly, or I need the depth of field, in a large studio, and i'm using a lot of them, I'll use strobes. running 10 or so 1000 watt hot lights will blow your circuit breakers at times.

If I'm in a smaller space, where I need to mimic sunlight, I'll use hot lights.

Ultimately though, the question falls to what am I shooting, how am i shooting it, and what does the client want? and if there is no client, then what feeling and mood do I want?

That all factors in.

Your best bet, if you can, RENT! There is no shame in renting equipment! It beats buying and selling it like mad. Rent what you need.

Nov 19 08 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

Mark Heaps wrote:

Well now with new halogen style bulbs they can be cool to the touch...you should check those out sometime...

Probably a typo, but halogen lights are NOT cool to the touch.  In fact you should never touch the glass envelope of a halogen lamp ever!

You might be thinking of fluorescent, and/or compact fluorescent.

Nov 19 08 11:58 am Link

Photographer

lynden

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I'm a straight up strobe junkie. It's the the feel of a studio lit by modelling light, the sound of the pack fans, the light pop and recycle beeps. With some good tunes mixed in, of course. Not the most empirical position, i recognize.

Nov 19 08 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Bosaiya

Sumner, Washington, US

I've had too many things lit on fire from hot lights. Those things ranging from expensive imported rugs to photo subjects themselves. It gets worse the more people you have around. When I worked with a crew they would knock lights over, and everything else not nailed down, all the time.

Just this past weekend I went to move something and it knocked over a light. A strobe, no big deal. If it had been a 10K, or even a 1K, I would hate to think of what would happen.

I was working on a shoot with hot lights when someone walked in front and mentioned how hot they were and asked if it was safe. I pointed, from several feet away, at the heat-resistant glass safety barrier. The woman nodded and, no joke, the glass actually shattered and sent shards flying towards her. None managed to hit her, thankfully, but we were both quite shaken by the experience. It wasn't my light and I made my feelings quite clear.

But then these are things that will never happen to you. Until they do.

Nov 19 08 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Connor Photography

Newark, Delaware, US

You just can't beat the quality from the strobe light.  That why most or all pros use strobes for commercial work.  Of course there is always exceptions.  Just like some of the great images came from a pin hole cam.

In the studio, I love my strobes.

Nov 19 08 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Living Canvas

Denver, Colorado, US

Olaf S wrote:
Probably a typo, but halogen lights are NOT cool to the touch.  In fact you should never touch the glass envelope of a halogen lamp ever!

You might be thinking of fluorescent, and/or compact fluorescent.

Yes, CFLs are "cool" to the touch (and even when I use mine they arent what I'd consider cool right when I switch them off)

I used some quartz halogen lights (QL 1000 - 1000w adjustable hot lights)
and those were insanely hot up to 5 mins after they were shut off, even though the lighting unit had a built in fan to prevent over heating.

I plan on going to strobes and keeping a few hot lights for when I need them.

Jun 29 09 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

o k u t a k e

New York, New York, US

One advantage of strobes is you can battery power them. Every lighting setup has it's advantages and disadvantages; neither one is better than the other, but strobes tend to be more common around these parts.

Jun 29 09 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Brecht

Colton, California, US

The Living Canvas wrote:

Yes, CFLs are "cool" to the touch (and even when I use mine they arent what I'd consider cool right when I switch them off)

I used some quartz halogen lights (QL 1000 - 1000w adjustable hot lights)
and those were insanely hot up to 5 mins after they were shut off, even though the lighting unit had a built in fan to prevent over heating.

I plan on going to strobes and keeping a few hot lights for when I need them.

Way to resurrect a 2 year old thread dude !

Paul

Jun 29 09 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Wilde One

Santa Monica, California, US

glide on fade photo wrote:
I'll never understand this debate when it comes up...

If you want the look of strobes, buy strobes.

If you dont, buy hot lights.

why do people go round and round on this, you have two totally different sources that look completely different...  One is not a sub for the other.

Dan Winters, one of my favorite photographers, uses hot lights.

The kind he uses is actually pretty expensive.

I'm sure he has very good reasons to use hot lights, and not strobes.

Jun 29 09 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

FullMetalPhotographer

Fresno, California, US

Mark Heaps wrote:
So I understand the appeal of Strobes but I've found they tend to be a bit more expensive then hotlights and because I shoot exclusively digital setting my white balance to any lighting isn't a problem.  So why shoot with strobes which can hurt the eyes as opposed to shooting with Hot Lights?  Previously I know hot lights were exactly that...HOT...but with new bulbs they stay cool to the touch, and I really don't know any model that minds being warm while they are posing in a studio unless they have a lot of costume on for the shoot.

So what say you all, give me a detremental reason to not buy all hot lights for my studio.  I have remote flashes as I need them, but why not hot lights...

For me strobes are more economical and versatile than Hotlights. I used hotlights back in my B&W days found them lacking power and a good way to easybake models. Strobes were easier to use in any situation and gave me greater creative control.

What is funny is I am picking up some hotllghts for video work and I do not see any savings or less cost than flash.
Kino Flo Diva-Lite 400 Two Fluorescent Light Kit (120VAC) KIT-D42-120
B&H $2,598.95

Jun 29 09 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Strange Babes

doesn't really matter.... what ever is clever at the time needed 'strange'

Jun 30 09 08:39 am Link

Photographer

ontherocks

Salem, Oregon, US

halogen hotlights are a pain. strobes are much better. haven't tried the cool fluorescents.

Jun 30 09 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Steve Reganato

New York, New York, US

I shoot with whatever I feel. Tungsten fresnel lamps have a great look to them and I enjoy working with them, there's no reason not to buy them. But if you motivation is that you'll save money buy them of strobes, well, any savings you get by buying those will be eaten up by increased electric bills, especially if you get higher watt fixtures like 1 & 2k's. You could use lower wattage ones, 150's to 300's, even 650's. They might not be so bad, unless, of course you end up using several of them.
There's HMI's, which look and function just like Tungstens but use a different technology you'll have to tap into your trust fund to rent them, let along buy. But they do not use as much power and are much cooler. These days it's pretty much what most motion picture/TV production is done with.
There's fluorescent, like Kinoflo's, but they're very low in output.
A bit of rumor control, I've never had anyone complain about strobes when I use them, and there's no proof that I've read or seen that indicates that strobes damage the eyes in any way. If that were a problem it would be well known by now as people have had strobes blasted away at them for about 50 years. Strobes are cooler running, which is nice, match daylight, highly controllable, lots of price points and types and sizes available and very versatile.
So, what advice do I have for you? Really, none, it all depends on the look you want and the price you want to s[pend for it.
And remember, you can always rent stuff.

Jun 30 09 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Have  both, prefer strobes

Jun 30 09 09:17 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

I bought a set of hot lights to start out with.  I got tired of having to shoot at high ISO's, slow shutter speeds, etc.  They've been sitting in my garage ever since.  Well, sometimes on a cool night I'll set one up on the deck to keep me warm and give me some light, LOL.

My hot lights ended up costing me more than if I would have just bought strobes in the first place.  Big waste of money on my part.

Jun 30 09 09:44 am Link

Photographer

C h a r l e s D

Hot lights are great if you want to shoot with a wide open lens.  (4x5)

Strobes for me.

Jun 30 09 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

Mark Heaps wrote:

You'll never shoot a quality high key shot with hot lights..ain't going to happen. IF you did get enough light, your model would be krispy fried

Jun 30 09 09:53 am Link

Photographer

Vamp Boudoir

Florence, South Carolina, US

Paul Brecht wrote:

Paul

I thought people got thrown in the brig for this....If not...they should!

Jun 30 09 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Pixel Peeper

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Post hidden on Jun 30, 2009 03:53 pm
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
No BS, No Drama.

Jun 30 09 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Steve Reganato

New York, New York, US

Post hidden on Jun 30, 2009 03:53 pm
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Quoting a BS post isn't helpful.

Jun 30 09 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Moderator Warning!

Rebel Photo wrote:

Paul Brecht wrote:

Paul

I thought people got thrown in the brig for this....If not...they should!

Posting in older threads and remaining on-topic is usually perfectly fine.

Bumping old threads for no reason is not.

Bumping old threads to cause or increase drama may result in a time-out.

Jun 30 09 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewFoto

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Anna Marie Ware wrote:
...plus catch lights are better with strobes in my opinion.  But maybe I am just making that last part up.

no, i fully agree.  with hotlights, I always found the model had very small pupils.  i just found this very unattractive.  with the flashes, the eyes adjust to much dimmer modeling lights and the blacks of their eyes show catch lights much better.

Jun 30 09 08:06 pm Link