Forums > Model Colloquy > Could I? Should I? Would I?

Photographer

Viper Studios

Little Rock, Arkansas, US

Listen:

I don't think there is anything wrong with photos of a baby being born.

If that's your cup of tea, go for it.

My point was, you made the comment about how their was a lot of interest in you while you were pregnant.  I realize I am just reading a written post and have no idea what you "meant", so I can only go on the "impression" it left me with and the impression was that you don't fully understand why "some" people are interested in pregnancy shots.

Some of that interest is not "pure" and "beautifull".

Maybe the particular photographer is well intentiioned and trusted, and my post was not meant to slam your particular photographer.

It's sort of like cheerleading. There's nothing wrong with it.  But there are freaks that show up at cheerleading events, and if you were considering putting your kid in cheerleading, you need to understand the world.

That's not to say that some reputable trusted photographer who specializes in "cheerleading" photography is a freak.

It's really a shame that even something like a simple pregnancy is overshadowed by the freaks in the world.

Mark

Oct 25 05 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

A lot of this discussion carries on the interminable MM discussions between photographers and models about who pays whom.  But a lot is about appropriateness.  So Model, why does he need a camera?  I have never seen a birth, I am sure it would be interesting, would you let me pay just to watch?  Does that make it any different one way or the other whether I am watching you through a camera?

Oct 25 05 12:05 pm Link

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

ModelPrincess wrote:
Also, if I can stand up for myself a bit, I am not the type to sell my soul for a few bucks. I definitely don't want to come across like that. It's why I'm asking questions, and deciding what's the right thing for me. This thread makes me sound like a horrible person, maybe I have my answer.

If you think it's a good idea do it..see how these forums are..not so fun all the time..everyone reads things differently..i think that's why people are responding the way they are...hmm sounds familiar..... but if you found someone hey go for it!! More power to ya! wink

Oct 25 05 09:03 pm Link

Model

Sasha V

San Jose, California, US

If I found out my mom got paid to deliver me, I'd feel pretty low-down and dirty... but that's just me.

Oct 26 05 02:18 am Link

Model

Sasha V

San Jose, California, US

PS It might be difficult to schedule something like that, eh?

Oct 26 05 02:20 am Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Sasha V wrote:
PS It might be difficult to schedule something like that, eh?

No, not hard to schedule something like that at all.

Oct 26 05 04:26 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ModelPrincess wrote:
Also, if I can stand up for myself a bit, I am not the type to sell my soul for a few bucks. I definitely don't want to come across like that. It's why I'm asking questions, and deciding what's the right thing for me. This thread makes me sound like a horrible person, maybe I have my answer.

Welcome to the club Princess. Same thing happened to me in another thread. It's the nature of people to see "ugly" first, i.e. shoot first and ask questions later. Try not to lose sleep over it. You're handling it a heckuva lot better than me. I'd already be cussing out a muthaf_cka, or two. Not that anyone in this thread got overly insulting with you and deserves a good cussing out.

In regards to your original question (I didn't read the entire thread), for you and that special event, I'd go for shared copyright and if you got an offer on the table to be paid for this type of modeling, then take the offer and run. Well, in your current condition, weeble-wobble. Lol.

Normally though, photographers don't make an offer of this kind unless they're working on some kind of publication (or other formal literature for distribution) that has to do with child birth, e.g. labor and delivery. Most women in their tri-mester seek out and pay a photographer to take beautiful and intimate portraits of the mother to be. Just so you know.

Oct 26 05 04:38 am Link

Photographer

Merlinpix

Farmingdale, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
If a photographer thinks she or he can make money or art from photos of a model giving birth, the model should be paid.

I say go for it.  Good  luck, and more power to everyone involved. smile

Exactly

Oct 26 05 04:54 am Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Joe K. Perez wrote:
Welcome to the club Princess. Same thing happened to me in another thread. It's the nature of people to see "ugly" first, i.e. shoot first and ask questions later. Try not to lose sleep over it. You're handling it a heckuva lot better than me. I'd already be cussing out a muthaf_cka, or two. Not that anyone in this thread got overly insulting with you and deserves a good cussing out.

In regards to your original question (I didn't read the entire thread), for you and that special event, I'd go for shared copyright and if you got an offer on the table to be paid for this type of modeling, then take the offer and run. Well, in your current condition, weeble-wobble. Lol.

Normally though, photographers don't make an offer of this kind unless they're working on some kind of publication (or other formal literature for distribution) that has to do with child birth, e.g. labor and delivery. Most women in their tri-mester seek out and pay a photographer to take beautiful and intimate portraits of the mother to be. Just so you know.

Thanks, and I guess you missed the guy who asked me if I was retarded, after he totally went off on me. But, no I'm not losing sleep. I asked a question and in many cases had photographers jumping on me saying "how could I", as if I were asking them specifically, if they would to pay me to photograph my labor. It went in a direction that I wasn't expecting, but you're right, people love to be judgemental. I am not going to do it. My pregnancy has been as a single mom, and I think my delivery will include only myself and the Doc. I've had to be very strong, under the circumstances, and I was thinking I wanted to have pictures to reflect that. The truth is, I don't really need a reminder. I'm not only strong for today, I will remain. So, I think through this thread, I was able to sort out my feelings on the topic, and I can't wait to deliver my baby! I will take photo's early in baby's life, nothing graphic, just the love between mother and baby. That portrays the real me, and takes away the debate.

Oct 26 05 06:53 am Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I say go for it. I can see legit uses for these photos, everything from medical and parenting magazines to stock and art.

Oct 26 05 06:58 am Link