Forums > Model Colloquy > Could I? Should I? Would I?

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

You bet, but what do you guys think about my having the birth of the new baby photographed?  Is it a good or bad idea? and, would I charge a normal model rate?

I haven't though it out a whole lot yet, so I thought to hear some pro's and con's from my peers, might sway me to do it, or not to........

Oct 24 05 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

So let me see if I understand you correctly,

you want a photographer to go in and photograph you having your baby, and you're going to CHARGE the photographer?

Oct 24 05 12:28 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

mag-jr wrote:
So let me see if I understand you correctly,

you want a photographer to go in and photograph you having your baby, and you're going to CHARGE the photographer?

LOL, I have done only paid shoots throughout my pregnancy, why would I share such an intimate time for free? Those shots could be worth a lot, I certainly haven't seen much of that out there, it would be very diverse, for the right person.

Oct 24 05 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

John Lavery

Manchester, Connecticut, US

ModelPrincess wrote:

LOL, I have done only paid shoots throughout my pregnancy, why would I share such an intimate time for free? Those shots could be worth a lot, I certainly haven't seen much of that out there, it would be very diverse, for the right person.

You haven't seen much out there because nobody wants it. The only people that those photos would mean anything to are your family, so actually charging a photographer to photograph something that only you care about is ludicrous!

Oct 24 05 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

if you can find someone that will pay you, more power to you.  But if my wife/mother-to-be wanted photos of our baby being born, I'd want the pictures to be OUR pictures, not someone else's.  There are some things I would never sell.

Model

Danielle

Lakeland, Florida, US

Is that wanted?  but then again, you never know...some people like some weird stuff....

I mean that stuff has been filmed....

but do you think someone will really pay you for that?

I would think of it the other way...a photographer would want you to pay them....

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

John Lavery wrote:

You haven't seen much out there because nobody wants it. The only people that those photos would mean anything to are your family, so actually charging a photographer to photograph something that only you care about is ludicrous!

So then what makes the pregnancy so interesting? Wouldn't that fall under the same category? What makes one beautiful and the other desirable to only me? I'm not saying your wrong, that's why I asked in the first place.

Oct 24 05 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

ebarb

Rochester, New York, US

ummmm, having helpded deliver several babies that weren't my own (10 years on an ambulance means you see alot)...it may be a "beautiful" moment for the husband, but for the rest of us, it's loud, messy and ugly....though if your cool with it, I bet you can find someone willing to pay you for it....if someone will, then capitalism at its best!!!

Oct 24 05 12:37 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

I've had a paid offer, but am on here because I was unsure if I wanted to consider it. That's why I'm needing the different feedback.

Oct 24 05 12:38 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

ebarb wrote:
ummmm, having helpded deliver several babies that weren't my own (10 years on an ambulance means you see alot)...it may be a "beautiful" moment for the husband, but for the rest of us, it's loud, messy and ugly....though if your cool with it, I bet you can find someone willing to pay you for it....if someone will, then capitalism at its best!!!

This will be my third, my second birth went so easily, and this pregnancy is right after that one. So no problems are forseen. Of course you never know, but my last birth was really not gross.

Oct 24 05 12:40 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Oct 24 05 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Charging to shoot your pregnancy, charging to shoot your delivery.. I'll bet you give birth to a little IRS agent wink

I'd be affraid that in 18 years, your kids gonna hunt me down and ask for roylaties of his/her birth images.

Oct 24 05 12:42 pm Link

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

John Lavery wrote:

I agree. If anything the photographer should charge.

Oct 24 05 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Kram

Portland, Oregon, US

Put the offer up on ebay- start a bidding war, walla! The kids college is paid for.

Oct 24 05 12:51 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Semora wrote:

I agree. If anything the photographer should charge.

Why would I pay for something that I can be paid for?

Oct 24 05 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

ModelPrincess wrote:

Why would I pay for something that I can be paid for?

Well, if you want a hack, no talent photographer to photograph the event, that's fine. If you want someone with talent, chances are they're going to charge you. There was a model on here about a month ago who was making it sound like a deal if you shot her wedding for her TFPCD. My reply was simply that my wedding rates start at $1500. You'll probably find someone, though. Just don't expect them to be very good. Also, industry standard usually means that when a photographer pays a model, you'll never see any pictures.

Oct 24 05 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

ModelPrincess wrote:

This is priceless!

Oct 24 05 02:45 pm Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Oh dear god, that's just wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start.  I think it sounds about as wonderful as that Miracle of Life film they showed in health class.

Oct 24 05 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

And models wonder why photographers get so pissed off at them because they always seem to have their hands out or want free photography.

This is the equivalent of me having to pay someone so that I can take their portrait.

Eric Foltz

Oct 24 05 02:58 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Visions Of Excess Studi wrote:

Well, if you want a hack, no talent photographer to photograph the event, that's fine. If you want someone with talent, chances are they're going to charge you. There was a model on here about a month ago who was making it sound like a deal if you shot her wedding for her TFPCD. My reply was simply that my wedding rates start at $1500. You'll probably find someone, though. Just don't expect them to be very good. Also, industry standard usually means that when a photographer pays a model, you'll never see any pictures.

I've been shooting for 15 years and there have only been a handful of shoots I've done where I didn't recieve my photo's. And what I'm not understanding here is why are photographers writing in, sounding pissed off at me? I simply had a question, and was looking for some feedback. What on earth makes you think only a hack would want to shoot this? Just because you wouldn't, doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. The advise I asked for was, is it a good idea?

Oct 24 05 03:05 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Oct 24 05 03:05 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Why do people seem so angry? I wasn't looking to start a battle with photographers over this issue.

Oct 24 05 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

If a photographer thinks she or he can make money or art from photos of a model giving birth, the model should be paid.

I say go for it.  Good  luck, and more power to everyone involved. smile

Oct 24 05 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Eric Foltz wrote:
And models wonder why photographers get so pissed off at them because they always seem to have their hands out or want free photography.

This is the equivalent of me having to pay someone so that I can take their portrait.

Eric Foltz

Think supply and demand.  There is a huge supply of possible portrait candidates, but there is a very limited supple of models giving birth.  If there is a demand for photos of a model giving birth, the model should be paid.  If the demand comes from said model, the photographer should be paid.

Oct 24 05 03:14 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Eric Foltz wrote:

Eric Foltz

I don't have my hands out, maybe you're comparing me to other situations you've been in, but please don't. I work very hard at what I do. I don't expect handouts. This was brought up in a different thread, and it sparked an idea, I wanted to hear ideas from others and all I've heard are bitter photographers.

Oct 24 05 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

ModelPrincess wrote:

I don't have my hands out, maybe you're comparing me to other situations you've been in, but please don't. I work very hard at what I do. I don't expect handouts. This was brought up in a different thread, and it sparked an idea, I wanted to hear ideas from others and all I've heard are bitter photographers.

I don't thonk anyone here is bitter. I think we all get the impression you are looking for a photographer to photograph the birth of your child, and, rather than wanting to pay the photographer as when you hire one for a family portrait, you are expecting to be paid since you are a model that only works for pay. Is that a fair assessment, or are we all missing something?

Oct 24 05 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

ModelPrincess wrote:
I've been shooting for 15 years and there have only been a handful of shoots I've done where I didn't recieve my photo's. And what I'm not understanding here is why are photographers writing in, sounding pissed off at me? I simply had a question, and was looking for some feedback. What on earth makes you think only a hack would want to shoot this? Just because you wouldn't, doesn't mean someone else wouldn't. The advise I asked for was, is it a good idea?

I know what you're talking about Princess, but I think they're right. Look at it this way - you're more focused on making money on it rather then getting good quality photography work done as is obvious from your OP and replies. Since photographers on this site are serious about photography (rather then sickos wanting to watch strange girl give birth) this type of assignement is not appealing to anyone - I for one can tell that I can't imagine anyone doing this in order to enhance his/her portfolio. I've never paid models, but I understand this is why some fellow photographers do - to get some great shots for their port.

For a serious photographer this can only be a job (thus paid) or hands off. I do believe though there are many people out there who would pay to get a live action preview of this type. Those would not give a jack about photography though. I don't think you can get both quality photography and money out of this situation.

JMHO

Mark

Oct 24 05 03:19 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I'm sure someone serious out there would be interested in shooting a birth, but it's not a popular subject.

Oct 24 05 03:22 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

David Moyle wrote:

I don't thonk anyone here is bitter. I think we all get the impression you are looking for a photographer to photograph the birth of your child, and, rather than wanting to pay the photographer as when you hire one for a family portrait, you are expecting to be paid since you are a model that only works for pay. Is that a fair assessment, or are we all missing something?

It's been offered out there to me, I just want to know if it's a good or bad idea. I also wanted to know if I would charge a normal model rate, or if that rate should change due to the extenuating circumstances. I'm not looking for a handout, by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe I formatted the question wrong in the first place, I sure do feel a lot of negative feedback. I'm hoping to clear any of that up.

Oct 24 05 03:23 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

MarkMarek wrote:

I know what you're talking about Princess, but I think they're right. Look at it this way - you're more focused on making money on it rather then getting good quality photography work done as is obvious from your OP and replies. Since photographers on this site are serious about photography (rather then sickos wanting to watch strange girl give birth) this type of assignement is not appealing to anyone - I for one can tell that I can't imagine anyone doing this in order to enhance his/her portfolio. I've never paid models, but I understand this is why some fellow photographers do - to get some great shots for their port.

For a serious photographer this can only be a job (thus paid) or hands off. I do believe though there are many people out there who would pay to get a live action preview of this type. Those would not give a jack about photography though. I don't think you can get both quality photography and money out of this situation.

JMHO

Mark

They may very well be right, but I do want to make a note, that these are photographers I've worked with before, not sicko's. I do see your point in that though. Thanks

Oct 24 05 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

ModelPrincess wrote:

It's been offered out there to me, I just want to know if it's a good or bad idea. I also wanted to know if I would charge a normal model rate, or if that rate should change due to the extenuating circumstances. I'm not looking for a handout, by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe I formatted the question wrong in the first place, I sure do feel a lot of negative feedback. I'm hoping to clear any of that up.

In that case, I would recommend getting some samples of the photographer's work to make sure he's a serious photographer first. Then, you need to consider the fact that there are other people in the room that may not want to have photos of themselves out there. Some hospitals don't allow video any more because people try to sue over minor things and use video tape as evidence, so you may need a hospital's prior approval and to get the Doctor and nurses to sign a release. Then, you need to consider you are basically signing away the rights to photographs of your private moment.

Just my random thoughts.

Oct 24 05 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

johnnycrosslin

Dallas, Texas, US

I photographed the birth of my twins - it was bloody, medicinal, graphic, stressful, and gnarly.  When I showed the photos to my friends and family, most of them wanted to hurl.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to do this for you without being paid A LOT.  Maybe you could call someone at TLC or the Discovery Channel -

Oct 24 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

johnnycrosslin

Dallas, Texas, US

https://www.johnnycrosslin.com/babies/TargetPreview9.jpg

Oct 24 05 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

bgcfoto

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

johnnycrosslin wrote:

Its cool they let you set up the strobes and umbrellas in there man!     smile   kidding.

As far as the thread goes...i guess folks are open to literally anything just to make a buck.  plain and simple.

Oct 24 05 04:23 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

johnnycrosslin wrote:

Wow, that's amazing, thank you for sharing that!

Oct 24 05 04:23 pm Link

Model

ModelPrincess

Linthicum, Maryland, US

Also, if I can stand up for myself a bit, I am not the type to sell my soul for a few bucks. I definitely don't want to come across like that. It's why I'm asking questions, and deciding what's the right thing for me. This thread makes me sound like a horrible person, maybe I have my answer.

Oct 24 05 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

ModelPrincess wrote:
Also, if I can stand up for myself a bit, I am not the type to sell my soul for a few bucks. I definitely don't want to come across like that. It's why I'm asking questions, and deciding what's the right thing for me. This thread makes me sound like a horrible person, maybe I have my answer.

I think it was a mis-understanding of your original post.

Oct 24 05 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

johnnycrosslin wrote:

Was this shot REALLY necessary?  I was about to sit down to supper!

Oct 24 05 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

ModelPrincess wrote:

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to sound mean. Was just trying to be as truthful as possible. Honestly, to be contracted out to cover someone elses intimate moment like you're talking about, I'd expect to be paid well. And I'd assume that most professional photographers would expect the same.

Oct 24 05 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

ModelPrincess wrote:

I wouldn't say horrible.  If we were friends (I mean the real kind, not on-line buddies) wouldn't say anything bad or snicker behind your back.  It doesn't bother me in the least.

...but, it does seem like selling out for a buck.  If that makes sense.

am I above that?  I'll have to admit...no.  If TLC came up to me and wanted to video the event and my wife (future wife...I haven't tricked anyone yet) was ok with it and they were waving money in my face...I can't say that I'd say no.

Oct 24 05 04:39 pm Link