Forums > Model Colloquy > The pose that's been done TO DEATH

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Lisa Fortier wrote:
As far as the holding up the wall photo....well I'm totally "guilty as charged"  and it's titled "Holding Up The Walls"  LOLOLOL ... what can i say....But it's a VERY popular picture with a ton of comments on it.

;o)

That says it all. Everyone can think of a million poses they hate but people buy that stuff. Its the magazins that need to be sold and they know what sells. My photos are really cookie cutter but it's what gives me business. I also shoot a lot of abstract work for nature photograohy but in the field of people photography.......the publics eats all that crap up. I am one of them. Take Carmen Electra and put a werid mask on her....then put blood on her.....ad some freaky lighting and a few dead chicken props. Give it a strange title......what do you have? A pictures of Carmen Electra I have no interest in ever seeing. Some people might but I am in the bigger demographic here. Get carmen to sit in a thong showing us her ass and most of will pick it up and say......WOW....shes hot.

Nov 03 05 12:49 pm Link

Model

Jordyn

Raleigh, Illinois, US

anything with the model sticking her ass out or bent over with the butt out towards the camera. Personally I don't think it's sexy...more like stank a dank dank!
Another one is with the model sitting with the legs apart, BORING and still stank a dank dank

Nov 03 05 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

James S

Spokane Valley, Washington, US

DJTalStudios wrote:
Don't forget girl with Guitar... find another damn instrument already PLEASE!

Okay, how about a french horn, trumpet, or alto horn?

Nov 03 05 12:52 pm Link

Model

Lisa Fortier

Cocoa, Florida, US

nudeartproject wrote:

Okay, how about a french horn, trumpet, or alto horn?

Nov 03 05 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

Thomas B wrote:
I would say photography is like music. Everything has been done. Yes there are many ways to take what has been done and make it our own but basically we are all working off a foundation now. I see a lot of great stuff on here (look at everything in Envy's portfolio....it is amazing......It is some of the most original stuff I have seen and I love it) But even the most amazing shots can be traced back to someone else. Just like a new song.

Well said and very true.  Actually its the shots that are bizarre and ugly merely in an attempt to "do something different" that I have difficulty with.  You know the ones I'm talking about, the ones that belong  "www.scarychicks.com" -(I should buy that last domain name, I suspect that someone will have it out and filled up with content in less than a month from now.)

To push the point a bit further, one of the reasons some of the high fashion models look so odd is the attempt to do it all differently.  Sometimes it still works, other times....WTF?

Nov 03 05 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Dreams To Keep wrote:

Well said and very true.  Actually its the shots that are bizarre and ugly merely in an attempt to "do something different" that I have difficulty with.  You know the ones I'm talking about, the ones that belong  "www.scarychicks.com" -(I should buy that last domain name, I suspect that someone will have it out and filled up with content in less than a month from now.)

To push the point a bit further, one of the reasons some of the high fashion models look so odd is the attempt to do it all differently.  Sometimes it still works, other times....WTF?

I would have to go with Dreams to Keep for the X bob.........I agree. I feel that sometimes people want to be freaky just to be freaky. I have a fre friends like this. Look at Marilyn Manson. I have met that guy 10 times on doing photoshoots and I even have a picture with him. But he was a pretty normal guy. He knows what he is doing and it's smart......but not legit. That is not him. The photo I have with him is prretty funny. He is in white and black make-up and wearing all black.....me....I am in my Mickey Mouse shirt. We were quite a pair that night.....lol
Bottom line....if you are freaky.....I love it.....I love your style......but if you bought all your freaky clothes at Hot Topic.....well....your not as cool as the real freaks.

Nov 03 05 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Girl in bikini. 

No context.  No story.  No emotion.  No reason to make the picture. 

Usually too much boobs or too much butt.  Or too much tan or peroxide.   

Blah.

-Don

Nov 03 05 01:22 pm Link

Model

Randee

West Branch, Michigan, US

Geez Thomas....I may have to reschedule our shoot on Monday....something just came up!!  Sorry...  wink jk
I know the guitar thing is over done, but I really like mine!! *pouts*  I'm not taking it down and none of you can make me!!  hahaha  At least mine isn't as cliche as all the others!

Nov 03 05 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

rickOPIOLA wrote:

hey i just recently did a shoot where we used angel wings and it's the most popular image on the models profile...

Thats actually a gorgeous shot in my opinion. And the model is breathtaking. I imagine that would make a beautiful print smile

Nov 03 05 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Randee wrote:
Geez Thomas....I may have to reschedule our shoot on Monday....something just came up!!  Sorry...  wink jk
I know the guitar thing is over done, but I really like mine!! *pouts*  I'm not taking it down and none of you can make me!!  hahaha  At least mine isn't as cliche as all the others!

Great....now my friends are going after me lol
This is good timing Randee.
You see, Randee and I are working together on Monday. Look at her portfolio....it is beautful. Nothing crazy, nothing freaky. And I would bet that the majority of the people on here would look at the images and say.....wow.....she is hot! But if Randee decided to take her career in a new direction and started wearing kinky bondage stuff and put weird things like blood all over she would loose fans. Yes....she would gain some but she would loose more than she gained.
Again, alot of us are here for a business. Some are here for pure art and I applaud you and everything you shoot. I am only speaking to those who shoot for a living. The living here in Vegas is beautiful girls who love to pose sexy. You can argue it but it's so true. Sure some of my images have been done a million times but it is my job to make a model look great and get jobs because of the images I provided to her. Man....I can really ramble......I mean really....shut me up.
PS.....I am so looking forward to Monday Randee. And in my opinion, I like your guitar shot.....dont get rid of it because others do it.

Nov 03 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Monsante Bey wrote:

Guilty as charged, but it's a GREAT shot.

https://modelmayhem.com/pics/20050718/2/42dbe57115dd5.jpg

Caption should be" nono, I said Caulk! "

Nov 03 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

DigitalCMH wrote:

I hate those too...or the one where a girl is acting like she's pulling up her dress...what girl does that in real life?  serious!

Photography does`nt have to be recreating real life,lol. I mean, look at fashion photography,glamour, art photography.One of the most popular shots for some makeup company whose name I forget, is a shot of a model with the heel of her hand up against her chin with a red lipstick between her fingers like a cigarette. That`s not real life but it gets tons of attention. Or used to if it is not around anymore.

Nov 03 05 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Tina Ginger wrote:
Hey what about the blonde chic in a fire mans outfit with no shirt on you know suspenders covering nipples thats so tacky.I had a man ask me to do that a few weeks ago LOL.......

It may be tacky, but the question is, did you do it? I bet you did if it was a paid shoot especially,lol.

Nov 03 05 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

area291 wrote:
Let's put all the previous together...and put the model on RR Tracks.

Dont tempt me. There are some out of commission tracks right down the street from me,lol.

Nov 03 05 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Venus wrote:
A new cliche that's happening right now is.....girls sucking on lollipops.  After I did ONE shoot like that...I saw like 10  more sucking on lollipop pictures after I posted mine.  sad  Isn't that always how things go ?!? 

More cliches...
School girl outfit (poses are usually all the same)
Upside down on a chair

There's a long long list...I can't think of them right now.  lol

I am sick of the lollipop and  chewing gum bubble blowing thing,lol. Once someone does it and it looks neat everyone wants to do it. I have a shot of a girl with neon light reflecting different colors onto face. I wish I had a buck for every email or comment I get from models telling me they want something like that for their portfolio now. Or that theyre going to find a photographer to do it for them. C`mon, use some imagination and get your own shots,lol.

Nov 03 05 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

C R Photography wrote:
It's gotta be the middle finger.

How much more tacky can a good looking model, nice lighting, good angle and a great pose flipping off the camera actually get.

Is he/she pissed at the photographer?

So I think I'll try a rose pedal covered model with a guitar and hand gun with angel wings, flipping off the camera while looking over her sunglasses... oh yea, and a plus size.

I think I just shed a happy tear. Someone finally agrees with me on the annoyance of the bird flipper shots! Friggin tacky as can be! I have seen some really awesome models, some involved in some amazing fashion and glamour work and right in the middle of all her shots is her flipping the bird with either a smile or a snarl. That shot alone would turn me against hiring them.

Nov 03 05 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

I've only shot one model with a gun so far, and she was in the military.  You could tell she knew how to hold it and check the chamber, and she even had good trigger discipline!  Two of her shots are in my port.  She got so excited about using a gun for a shoot, I just couldn't say no...!  big_smile

Nov 03 05 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Jenni L wrote:

I just recently heard about that poster, it is hot.  How could that get old?

It`s not the original shot that is not hot. It is  a great shot. What is not hot is everyone trying to recreate it exactly, without their own creative twists.

Nov 03 05 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

ebarb

Rochester, New York, US

anything the involves a women wearing a bikini and a motorcycle....bores me to death!  We have enough of those in the world for hundreds of years owrht of calendars!

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
I am sick of the lollipop ..... Someone finally agrees with me on the annoyance of the bird flipper shots!

I'm guilty of both.

Model

Brandy

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jordyn wrote:
anything with the model sticking her ass out or bent over with the butt out towards the camera. Personally I don't think it's sexy...more like stank a dank dank!
Another one is with the model sitting with the legs apart, BORING and still stank a dank dank

Well then I guess I'm just tacky...

It's really too bad I got my mother's body instead of her face...

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Brandy wrote:
Well then I guess I'm just tacky...

It's really too bad I got my mother's body instead of her face...

Brandy proves the point once again. It is what people want. Look at her portfolio. She has nice shots in there.....really prett headshots that show her eyes. But what shot has the most hits? The bare ass shot. There a re more people who want to see it than who do not. It's a fact.....the numbers do not lie.

Nov 03 05 01:52 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Nov 03 05 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Jordyn wrote:

If I am not mistaken, you have a shot of you with your butt toward the camera, kinda stuck out a bit with your hand on your hips. As well as a shot of you with you legs wide open and one of them draped over one of the arms of the chair you are in smile

Nov 03 05 01:53 pm Link

Model

Randee

West Branch, Michigan, US

ebarb wrote:
anything the involves a women wearing a bikini and a motorcycle....bores me to death!  We have enough of those in the world for hundreds of years owrht of calendars!

Aw, darn!!  I LOVE motocycles...well most of them, has to be a Chopper or a Harley and would love to shoot with one!  But I'm not so sure about the bikini part.  I have to admit I have done it - but it was with my own bike.  Next time - I'll cut out the bikini and just do the chaps and boyshort undies!! 

-did I say that out loud?-    wink

Nov 03 05 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

If I am not mistaken, you have a shot of you with your butt toward the camera, kinda stuck out a bit with your hand on your hips. As well as a shot of you with you legs wide open and one of them draped over one of the arms of the chair you are in smile

Exactly....I saw it too....I just wanted you to bring it up lol

Nov 03 05 01:54 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Randee wrote:

Actually when I see your guitar shot I think sledgehammer because of the way you are holding it. You arent holding it like its a guitar really. It passes in my opinion !
smile

Nov 03 05 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

McMadCow wrote:
I've only shot one model with a gun so far, and she was in the military.  You could tell she knew how to hold it and check the chamber, and she even had good trigger discipline!  Two of her shots are in my port.  She got so excited about using a gun for a shoot, I just couldn't say no...!  big_smile

Ahh yes....Jessie smile

Nov 03 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Envy wrote:
I'm guilty of both.

Envy, I weill grant *you* immunity as others will I am sure smile

Besides, you are using a different kind of lollipop  and the shot isnt making it look like you are giving it,,,,,,well, yea, its just  different! smile

Nov 03 05 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Thomas B wrote:
Exactly....I saw it too....I just wanted you to bring it up lol

gutless! Why do I always have to be the one on this site who speaks his mind as he pleases,lol. grow a pair, sheesh! smile jk

Nov 03 05 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

J Andrescavage Photo

San Francisco, California, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
Ahh yes....Jessie smile

Awww yeah.  I used some of my prints from that shoot for a project in class and everyone was jealous that I got to shoot with a supermodel!  A chick who's THAT hot AND knows how to use a gun...?  I had to remember to stop staring and press the shutter.

Nov 03 05 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

gutless! Why do I always have to be the one on this site who speaks his mind as he pleases,lol. grow some, sheesh! smile jk

I know....I know.........Ok....I will try and grab the next one smile

Nov 03 05 02:10 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Envy, I weill grant *you* immunity as others will I am sure smile

Besides, you are using a different kind of lollipop  and the shot isnt making it look like you are giving it,,,,,,well, yea, its just  different! smile

Ha. Thanks for the leniency. Now you can feel free to scold me when I'm lying on traintracks sucking on a lollipop giving the middle finger. smile

Nov 03 05 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

I got a new one aimed at photographers tongue Over the shoulder shooting of another photographer who is working with a model. Gawd I hate that since they cant come with their own poses with a model. Bloody poachers!

Nov 03 05 03:10 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Man if I see another photo with a girl standing on or near Railroad tracks I`m gonna PUKE! Or strangle someone sad

This HAS to go down as the TACKIEST style of work any photographer would ever do......I don`t even think I`d do it even for pay, the "damsel in distress" thing is kinda kool all dressed up in turn of the century clothing maybe, model tied to the tracks like in silent movies.........but ANYTHING else in with or around RR tracks is STUPID and tacky

Yuck RR tracks :p

Ohhhh shooting in cemeteries is really really stupid too....in the middle of the day, (for that silly gothic look) try doing it at midnight or after dark, now that`s a challenge

Nov 03 05 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:
Man if I see another photo with a girl standing on or near Railroad tracks I`m gonna PUKE! Or strangle someone sad

This HAS to go down as the TACKIEST style of work any photographer would ever do......I don`t even think I`d do it even for pay, the "damsel in distress" thing is kinda kool all dressed up in turn of the century clothing maybe, model tied to the tracks like in silent movies.........but ANYTHING else in with or around RR tracks is STUPID and tacky

Ohhhh shooting in cemeteries is really really stupid too....in the middle of the day, (for that silly gothic look) try doing it at midnight or after dark, now that`s a challenge

what is silly to one is art and fantastic to another. It is all eye of the beholder. I like train track shots. I do not have one myself but I like looking at them if done well with the lines and everything. It is an instant prop to play around with. It's just casual. Just like a model sitting on a tireswing in a yard....nothing crazy about it but if the model likes it and it looks nice.....great...another casual shot success story. Just shoot what you like but don't trash everyone for shooting what they like. If they want a model sucking a lollipop and flipping you off in a portfolio......it's there's. I have a 3disc changer in my cd player.....the 3 cd's in it right now are. Greenday, Christina Aguilera and Weird Al Yankovich. Now I bet most people would tear that apart and hate it....but guess what....its mine. Same with a photos that you think are overdone. If you hate it, don't take it.....call me....I will shoot anything. I am a photo whore smile
Thomas

Nov 03 05 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:

Don`t look at the tracks as tracks. Think outside the reality box and think inside the artistic box((just an analogy, not a put down). I have shot a few models standing on or between rail road tracks. I like how the lines of the tracks draw the eye to the model, especially when shot at a distance.  I also like cemetry. You can use tracks as lines to create cemetry in the photographs.

Nov 03 05 03:37 pm Link

Model

Semora

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

Monsante Bey wrote:

Thanks... I believe what's throwing it off is that you can see the lights in her glasses, so it's giving her eyes a strange look. Angel Tara has beautiful eyes.

oh that's her!!! yeah her eyes are beautiful..it looked weird at my schools computer..im home now and it's fine

Nov 03 05 05:02 pm Link

Model

Stormy1

Lombard, Illinois, US

Nerlande wrote:
model..on her knees..in lingerie...back facing the camera...

ugh..just stop

Whats wrong with it? Afraid they look better than you?

Nov 03 05 05:11 pm Link

Model

Stormy1

Lombard, Illinois, US

DigitalCMH wrote:
The pose where they are naked.  That is so overdone and cliche.

Umm this makes no sense.. naked poses in general...yeahhh ook

Nov 03 05 05:13 pm Link