Forums > Model Colloquy > The pose that's been done TO DEATH

Model

Stormy1

Lombard, Illinois, US

Thomas B wrote:
I would say photography is like music. Everything has been done. Yes there are many ways to take what has been done and make it our own but basically we are all working off a foundation now. I see a lot of great stuff on here (look at everything in Envy's portfolio....it is amazing......It is some of the most original stuff I have seen and I love it) But even the most amazing shots can be traced back to someone else. Just like a new song.

Well Said!!

Nov 03 05 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Stormy1 wrote:
Whats wrong with it? Afraid they look better than you?

You better watch out....I see you have not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 train track shots in your port. And a few others that were listed. I am just warning you not to go slamming people in here.....they will come for blood lol And I am just the messenger so don't kill me. I like train tracks and models who show there butt lol

Nov 03 05 05:17 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Thomas B wrote:
I would say photography is like music. Everything has been done. Yes there are many ways to take what has been done and make it our own but basically we are all working off a foundation now. I see a lot of great stuff on here (look at everything in Envy's portfolio....it is amazing......It is some of the most original stuff I have seen and I love it) But even the most amazing shots can be traced back to someone else. Just like a new song.

Woah. I completely missed that compliment squeezed within all that text.
Thanks so much! smile

Nov 03 05 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Envy wrote:

Woah. I completely missed that compliment squeezed within all that text.
Thanks so much! smile

that means I was rambling on way too long.....lol But you are welcome....you have some really great stuff.

Nov 03 05 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

womens crotches covered with M&Ms (or any other candy for that matter, we get it alrready...sheesh)
Matchbox cars driving over the "landscape" of a woman's body (what are you, 12 years old?)
you folks already got the "Chick with guitar", "American Beauty" shot, poorly done angel wing shots (I like the black one on the 1st page of the thread)
I'm sure I'll think of more
oohh...oohhh...wait....
topless, knees spread in the sand (god bless FHM, Stuff, Maxim)

Nov 03 05 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

guess this is what I get coming in and replying with out reading a thread right before I have to leave for "Baby Class" #5---How to diaper the baby.

Sorry

Nov 03 05 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Goodwin

Phoenix, Arizona, US

"Edgy fashion"

Nov 03 05 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

One that has not been mentioned is:

Girl looking at camera from the side, with her eyes and one finger in the mouth ...similiar to lollipop I suppose,,,,,,but SOOO CLICHE!!!

Gal laying on her stomach with head craddled in her hands, butt up and legs up and crossed with of course heels, swimsuit and coyish look on face

hmm wait a minute I may have one of those in my port, if not this one the one on omp....lol

Nov 03 05 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

I think it is all becoming cliche'. I mean this whole getting a model to pose for you. I think i am going to move into shooting with Penguins and Ardvarks only. Then I can get the penguin to lay accross the train tracks while pointing a fake gun at the ardvard who is sucking in a lollipop....which really pisses the penguin off because he got the angel wings all sticky with wet slobber........oh wow.....I scared myself on this one.....I can keep going......yes? So there you are.....MM all you models are fired. From now on if you do not have a hard plastic shell or live in the artic....there will be no TFP. Another bonues to this is we will never have to hear the implied nude? or nude? argument again.....all shots are nude from now on. Well....the ardvark is technically implied but it;s all sexy........yeah baby! I am on a roll.

Nov 03 05 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

i do played out stuff, it's good practice.

Over done - girl on the beach with sand on her butt

Nov 03 05 06:38 pm Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Nerlande wrote:
model..on her knees..in lingerie...back facing the camera...

ugh..just stop

amen

Nov 04 05 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

Brandy wrote:

Well then I guess I'm just tacky...

It's really too bad I got my mother's body instead of her face...

When you come here, you can be as tacky as you want!

Your second comment kinda bothers me. If you don't have your mothers face, that means you have your fathers face. Does that mean I think your father is hot? My wife is  in the same boat, she looks like her dad. This is all very scary

Nov 04 05 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

ebarb wrote:
anything the involves a women wearing a bikini and a motorcycle....bores me to death!  We have enough of those in the world for hundreds of years owrht of calendars!

Amen, and especially when they have over-post-processed Barbie Doll faces and enhanced eye color. Enough to make Dr. Mengele proud!

Nov 04 05 11:59 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

The most overdone pose is the high school portrait where the student sits in a chair, looking dumb and says "Cheese."  But that wasn't the answer you were looking for, was it.

Nov 04 05 12:27 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
The most overdone pose is the high school portrait where the student sits in a chair, looking dumb and says "Cheese."  But that wasn't the answer you were looking for, was it.

It is especially overdone if it is a high school portrait for a private school that makes the  girls wear ponytails and short plaid skirts!

Nov 04 05 12:31 pm Link

Model

Daphne Adair

Melbourne, Arkansas, US

Cspine wrote:
i do played out stuff, it's good practice.

Over done - girl on the beach with sand on her butt

I agree with you and others on this. I'm sooo tired of "girl-in-bikini, posing-on-the-beach!"  I mean, come on, how creative is that? What makes anyone think they are gonna do it any better than has already been done? No offense to swimsuit models or anything. But it's like you've seen one, you've seen them all.

I guess the other overdone pose is girl-in-bikini, posing on the motorcycle (guilty as charged).

Nov 04 05 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

SFR

San Jose, California, US

p51 wrote:
What's the one photo you keep seeing over and over here the most?
For me, it'd HAVE to be the "American Beauty" shot with a nude on white strategically covered in rose petals. It's cool the first time you see it, but GAWD, it's so damned overdone!!!

Any others that spring to mind?

sure, maybe it is overdone, but I believe that each photographer has its own value, it's own style. If I were to do this photo my way, the model I would use would be different than yours, the way the light will be set will be different, the end colors, petals, etc...

What i mean is that each photographer as a unique eye which in most case will give a different end photo. Now it is when there is the good, and the bad ones.

Nov 04 05 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

p51 wrote:
For me, it'd HAVE to be the "American Beauty" shot with a nude on white strategically covered in rose petals. It's cool the first time you see it, but GAWD, it's so damned overdone!!!

i love how it went from THIS, to "poses" that i hate, "bare boobs" and "bare ass" are dirty and "nakedness" is overdone...hmmmmm...

"maxim/fhm style" is overdone(ESPECIALLY the overproduced hands crossing the body, covering the bare boob/boobs/crotch shot)...and it's just a tame, poor man's rip off of  "playboy/penthouse style"...

fact is we are ALL guilty of ripping someone or something off(only one person, per style, blah, blah, blah, is qualified to say that they were "first")...it's HOW WE DO IT, that matters...

Nov 04 05 03:26 pm Link

Model

Beth C

St Louis, Saskatchewan, Canada

Thomas B wrote:
I think it is all becoming cliche'. I mean this whole getting a model to pose for you. I think i am going to move into shooting with Penguins and Ardvarks only. Then I can get the penguin to lay accross the train tracks while pointing a fake gun at the ardvard who is sucking in a lollipop....which really pisses the penguin off because he got the angel wings all sticky with wet slobber........oh wow.....I scared myself on this one.....I can keep going......yes? So there you are.....MM all you models are fired. From now on if you do not have a hard plastic shell or live in the artic....there will be no TFP. Another bonues to this is we will never have to hear the implied nude? or nude? argument again.....all shots are nude from now on. Well....the ardvark is technically implied but it;s all sexy........yeah baby! I am on a roll.

Good one!!!

Nov 04 05 03:29 pm Link

Model

SexyCandy

Vienna, Georgia, US

I done the American Beauty picture and did not even know it until someone told me, I did it with leaves.

Nov 04 05 03:31 pm Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

OK.... so... the "American Beauty" shot (and I agree I have seen it way too many times): I have a shoot this weekend and have been discussing poses with the model; she looks very creative on her site and has some cool ideas, but has dropped the "bomb" on me.... 'I have fake red rose petals, I want to.....' and goes on to describe.... the "American Beauty" shot. What do I do? Indulge her or tell her what I and many of the other respondents have said, "it's been done"?

Nov 04 05 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

chapa wrote:
fact is we are ALL guilty of ripping someone or something off(only one person, per style, blah, blah, blah, is qualified to say that they were "first")...it's HOW WE DO IT, that matters...

Exactly!  My boyfriend is an illustrator, and often says that one's personal style is found in diligently imitating someone, and where you fall short is where your style develops.  Perhaps slightly more applicable to art than photography, but I think it's true.

You, for example, inspired one of my most popular shots.  I loved the wedgie look so much, I wanted to do my own spin on it, and voila, something that I think is full of humor and sass, and works nicely!  My image ended up completely different than yours, but I was nonetheless inspired, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  (I even incorporated the dreaded selective desaturation.  Ahhhhh!)

Maybe I'm not uppity about cliches yet because I'm such a new photographer that, to me, everything is new and shiny and interesting.  I have no trouble sifting what I like from what I don't (boy, am I opinionated - my opinions are way ahead of my skill level, that's for sure!), but I don't feel jaded about concepts yet like a lot of folks seem to.

Le wedgie shot....

https://pic1.modelmayhem.com/1/2/5/2/8/42ce1df64b947.jpg

Nov 04 05 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Chapa

Austin, Texas, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:

Exactly!  My boyfriend is an illustrator, and often says that one's personal style is found in diligently imitating someone, and where you fall short is where your style develops.  Perhaps slightly more applicable to art than photography, but I think it's true.

You, for example, inspired one of my most popular shots.  I loved the wedgie look so much, I wanted to do my own spin on it, and voila, something that I think is full of humor and sass, and works nicely!  My image ended up completely different than yours, but I was nonetheless inspired, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  (I even incorporated the dreaded selective desaturation.  Ahhhhh!)

Maybe I'm not uppity about cliches yet because I'm such a new photographer that, to me, everything is new and shiny and interesting.  I have no trouble sifting what I like from what I don't (boy, am I opinionated - my opinions are way ahead of my skill level, that's for sure!), but I don't feel jaded about concepts yet like a lot of folks seem to.

Le wedgie shot....

https://pic1.modelmayhem.com/1/2/5/2/8/42ce1df64b947.jpg

thanks...and nice shot btw...:-)

Nov 04 05 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

vantage

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

how about the one where the girl is laying on her back with her bra straps are pulled off her shoulders.kinda like something we proffessionals need in high school. nice creatity ya, and you call yourself a proffessional

Nov 04 05 05:15 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

p51 wrote:

never done it and wont do it. give me the petals of orchids and irises or something colorful that would be fun!

Nov 04 05 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I'm guilty of the wings shot but... It was at the request of a client so I'm safe!!! smile
I've done so many cliche, stupid shots in my career, It would take an hour to list them all but... glad to say, I've never done the "american beauty" shot......
But it's still early yet.

Nov 04 05 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I don't think there are cliched poses so much as there are cliched interpretations of those poses.  You can only bend the human body in so many shapes, and it's up to the photographer to find interesting ways to present those shapes.

Nov 05 05 06:30 am Link

Model

Susi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

And to quote my intro on omp and MM:

"And I'm also really rabidly against doing any photos where you ask me to wear wings, or lay across a railroad track, or lie in a tub of fake blood..unless your idea has a really unusual twist."

I need to add wearing wings in a graveyard to the list (making note to self here...).

Nov 05 05 06:55 am Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Essential Images wrote:

Re-read the definition:  the hot chick actually has to be wearing the hard hat.

"4.  The hot chick in lingerie holding a drill and wearing a hard hat & toolbelt."

Your hot chick is wearing glasses (which make her look even hotter), so you're actually breaking the mold here and going where no photog has gone before.  So there's no violation here.   smile

I'm just think it's cool that I am being referred to as "the hot chick"

smile

Angel

Nov 05 05 09:34 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Pose which has been done to death?

This one.
Literally.

https://www.donapex.net/~salex/666/grob.jpg

Nov 05 05 09:41 am Link

Photographer

D U A R T E

Los Angeles, California, US

I love reading these threads so funny.  Let's forget poses and start talking about taste and the mind of the image maker.  First of all Conrad Hall lit that American Beauty shot...so 99% of you GWC's can forget about emulating it.  Second...Tony Duran shot Jennifer Lopez on the cover of Nortorious with angel wings....it launched his career. It was amazing.  I know the majority of you guys are weekend shooters but if you got the same subject, camera, film, daylight studio. Then bring in 5 of the top shooters and have them shoot at the same time frame for a week you would have five completely different shots. 

Once the prints are displayed I can tell within 30 seconds who shot what image.

Photography like any art form, it's all about subtle nuances kind of like wine making.

Nov 05 05 11:02 am Link

Model

SHAWN ANTONIA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Duarte Photo wrote:
I love reading these threads so funny.  Let's forget poses and start talking about taste and the mind of the image maker.  First of all Conrad Hall lit that American Beauty shot...so 99% of you GWC's can forget about emulating it.  Second...Tony Duran shot Jennifer Lopez on the cover of Nortorious with angel wings....it launched his career. It was amazing.  I know the majority of you guys are weekend shooters but if you got the same subject (ie model) against a grey backdrop, same film, in a daylight studio with a hasseblad with a 110mm and had 5 of the top shooters walk in everyday for a week at the same time you would have five completely different shots. 

Within 30 seconds I  can walk in to that room and look at the prints and say who shot what image.

Photography like any art form, it's all about subtle nuances kind of like wine making.

lol
sooo true

hey is duarte right next to azusa and monrovia?

Nov 05 05 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Scott Bragg

Smyrna, Georgia, US

Eric Muss-Barnes wrote:
A model in a bathtub full of fake blood.

It's not cool. It's not edgy. It's not creepy. It's just freakin' retarded, Countess Bathory. M'kay?

How about a model in a bathtub, tear streaked eye shadow, badly and wildly cut hair floating all around her, scars on her arms,  and fake blood leaking from two cuts down each arm from near elbow to wrist (running along the arm, not across).   

A bottle of cheap licquor (Jack daniels?) sitting on the ground just outside the tub, half empty and leaking onto the tiles.   

Shampoo and soap distrubed and knocked over on it's shelf in the corner with one bottle of conditioner floating in the water.

Razor blades spilled on the floor and into the tub, with one still in hand.

---------

See, it's possible to do ANY over-done pose well, if you think about it first.

Nov 05 05 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Bragg

Smyrna, Georgia, US

McMadCow wrote:
I've only shot one model with a gun so far, and she was in the military.  You could tell she knew how to hold it and check the chamber, and she even had good trigger discipline!  Two of her shots are in my port.  She got so excited about using a gun for a shoot, I just couldn't say no...!  big_smile

I've worked with a model who, though she's not ex-military, every boyfriend she's had and her husband are all Marines.  She's also damned deadly with any firearm she can pick up. 

She just naturally falls into a Weaver style stance with a hand gun, her prone form with a long arm is great.   You really get the feeling that this chick won't hesitate to cap your ass if you piss her off.    You would not be mistaken.  She's dangerous, all 105lbs, 5' 2" of her..

Nov 05 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm rambling more than anything but...

As the black-winged angel is proves, a concept is really only tired and cliched when it looks bad.  As much as it's been noted that the idea is overdone, it's difficult to dislike the shot because it's so well-execued.  The same be said of most of these poses/idea.  But perhaps only exceptions to the (tired/cliched) rule.

Nov 05 05 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Don Vaillancourt

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

I don't know if any one has mentioned this one, but the naked girl sitting upright on a dining chair facing the camera with legs spread apart. 

I have seen one shot of it on here done very well.  But everyone else just sucks at it big time.

Nov 06 05 06:19 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Thomas B wrote:
Or how about the one where the model stands against a yellow background wearing blue jeans and a white button down long sleeve shirt.....I friggin' hate those!

ROTFWL!

Nov 06 05 05:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Scott Bragg wrote:

How about a model in a bathtub, tear streaked eye shadow, badly and wildly cut hair floating all around her, scars on her arms,  and fake blood leaking from two cuts down each arm from near elbow to wrist (running along the arm, not across).   

A bottle of cheap licquor (Jack daniels?) sitting on the ground just outside the tub, half empty and leaking onto the tiles.   

Shampoo and soap distrubed and knocked over on it's shelf in the corner with one bottle of conditioner floating in the water.

Razor blades spilled on the floor and into the tub, with one still in hand.

---------

See, it's possible to do ANY over-done pose well, if you think about it first.

This sounds like one of the models I shoot when she's having a bad day! Tim

Nov 06 05 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

ChrisChris

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

ladies in bikinis on beaches.

Nov 07 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamen McGuire

Portland, Oregon, US

DJTalStudios wrote:
Don't forget girl with Guitar... find another damn instrument already PLEASE!

Check out my new avatar smile

Nov 08 05 03:18 pm Link