Forums > Model Colloquy > The pose that's been done TO DEATH

Photographer

p51

Olympia, Washington, US

What's the one photo you keep seeing over and over here the most?
For me, it'd HAVE to be the "American Beauty" shot with a nude on white strategically covered in rose petals. It's cool the first time you see it, but GAWD, it's so damned overdone!!!

Any others that spring to mind?

Nov 02 05 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

DJTalStudios

Seattle, Washington, US

Oh GAWD YES!!!! And more often than not BADLY done...

Don't forget girl with Guitar... find another damn instrument already PLEASE!

Oh another is girls POORLY posed with handguns/weapons they have noooo idea how to hold let alone use.

Oh and lest we not foget the ridiculous Charlies Angel's pose using fingers as guns.... WTF are the photographers thinking with THIS one?

Nov 02 05 10:04 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

DJTalStudios wrote:
Oh GAWD YES!!!! And more often than not BADLY done...

Don't forget girl with Guitar... find another damn instrument already PLEASE!

Oh another is girls POORLY posed with handguns/weapons they have noooo idea how to hold let alone use.

Oh and lest we not foget the ridiculous Charlies Angel's pose using fingers as guns.... WTF are the photographers thinking with THIS one?

too true, yet all these "props" can be done without being corny. it's all about creativity

Nov 02 05 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

p51 wrote:
For me, it'd HAVE to be the "American Beauty" shot with a nude on white strategically covered in rose petals. It's cool the first time you see it, but GAWD, it's so damned overdone!!!

I'm sorry to ask this, but what is the "American Beauty" shot?

I live a sheltered life and have no clue what your talking about, but would like to know.

Thanks,
Craig

Nov 02 05 10:10 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

This makes me want to try something....picture this.......a model holding a guitar, covered in rose petals and shooting a gun (not a real gun, but her fingers pointed at the camera) Any models want to try this one?

Nov 02 05 10:11 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

This is not so about posing, but I swear I see one more picture of a girl wearing US flag bikini I will puke my guts out. It doesn't get any cornier than that ::pukes::

Nov 02 05 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

A model in a bathtub full of fake blood.

It's not cool. It's not edgy. It's not creepy. It's just freakin' retarded, Countess Bathory. M'kay?

Nov 02 05 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

damn....more things to add to my next shoot smile

Nov 02 05 10:13 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

model..on her knees..in lingerie...back facing the camera...

ugh..just stop

Nov 02 05 10:14 pm Link

Model

Ms Kaylee

Helena, Montana, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

I'm sorry to ask this, but what is the "American Beauty" shot?

I live a sheltered life and have no clue what your talking about, but would like to know.

Thanks,
Craig

You have to watch the movie!

https://www.dfi.dk/dfi/undervisning/americanbeauty/grafik/illotte.jpg

Nov 02 05 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

crap....I actually think I have one of those in my portfolio....I better get rid of it.

Nov 02 05 10:16 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Thomas B wrote:
This makes me want to try something....picture this.......a model holding a guitar, covered in rose petals and shooting a gun (not a real gun, but her fingers pointed at the camera) Any models want to try this one?

oOH oOH pick me pick me!

Nov 02 05 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Envy wrote:

oOH oOH pick me pick me!

You got the job smile This is going to be rad!

Nov 02 05 10:19 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Fyre1704 wrote:
You have to watch the movie!

Thank you. I guess I'm safe from ever shooting anything like that even without ever watching the movie.

Nov 02 05 10:19 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Thomas B wrote:

You got the job smile This is going to be rad!

Can I bring angel wings too?

Nov 02 05 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

The pose where they are naked.  That is so overdone and cliche.

Nov 02 05 10:22 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

How about those shots where they are just looking into the camera and smiling. What a bunch of crap!

Nov 02 05 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Or how about the one where the model stands against a yellow background wearing blue jeans and a white button down long sleeve shirt.....I friggin' hate those!

Nov 02 05 10:29 pm Link

Model

Peggy Weidner

Denton, Georgia, US

Thomas B wrote:

Sounds cool!

Nov 02 05 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

rickOPIOLA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Envy wrote:

hey i just recently did a shoot where we used angel wings and it's the most popular image on the models profile...
https://pic1.modelmayhem.com/4/7/8/5/7/4354a06d11e14.jpg

Nov 02 05 10:32 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

p51 wrote:

A great pose is NEVER overdone, it's just done badly... repeatedly!

Nov 02 05 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Thomas B wrote:
Or how about the one where the model stands against a yellow background wearing blue jeans and a white button down long sleeve shirt.....I friggin' hate those!

I hate those too...or the one where a girl is acting like she's pulling up her dress...what girl does that in real life?  serious!

Nov 02 05 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Tomi Hawk

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Envy wrote:

AHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!! 

You beat me to it .. I had a *request* for that just recently .. I could hardly control myself .. while I fumbled thru the words to find .. a way to be nice .. and let her know that .. I didnt think that .. it was a great idea,  at all ...

She doesn't even talk with me anymore ..  lol .. owell .. I swear I will *never* do that image .. swear I will *never* do that image .. swear I will *never* do that image .. lol

THATS the pose that has to die .. heheheh

Tomi

Nov 02 05 10:38 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

rickOPIOLA wrote:
hey i just recently did a shoot where we used angel wings and it's the most popular image on the models profile...

I'm not knocking angel wings.
Everytime someone makes a post on this topic they are brought up.
I'm just beating people to it.

Nov 02 05 10:40 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Tomi Images wrote:
AHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!! 

You beat me to it .. I had a *request* for that just recently .. I could hardly control myself .. while I fumbled thru the words to find .. a way to be nice .. and let her know that .. I didnt think that .. it was a great idea,  at all ...

She doesn't even talk with me anymore ..  lol .. owell .. I swear I will *never* do that image .. swear I will *never* do that image .. swear I will *never* do that image .. lol

THATS the pose that has to die .. heheheh

Tomi

I rest my case.
smile

They are overdone though.

Nov 02 05 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

rickOPIOLA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Envy wrote:

I'm not knocking angel wings.
Everytime someone makes a post on this topic they are brought up.
I'm just beating people to it.

but it's true, angel wings are totally overdone... the only way i was going to shoot it was up on a rooftop with swirling winds and menacing clouds overhead...

Nov 02 05 10:44 pm Link

Model

Ed K

Los Angeles, California, US

What about shots of a girls covering their boobs that they clearly took on their webcams. Is this Model Mayhem or My Space? I forgot.

Nov 02 05 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

p51

Olympia, Washington, US

I'm glad someone posted the movie image. It's amazing how breathtaking that image is, especially compared to what it's become? Could someone possibly count the number of times this kind of shot (poorly done at that) appears here in MM?

Hamza wrote:
A great pose is NEVER overdone, it's just done badly... repeatedly!

I respect that thought, really I do, but would you agree that a pose can only be done a finite numbers of ways? And at what point would the pose in itself become cliche? Can there be any argument that this has certainly turned into just that?

Nov 02 05 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

p51 wrote:
I'm glad someone posted the movie image. It's amazing how breathtaking that image is, especially compared to what it's become? Could someone possibly count the number of times this kind of shot (poorly done at that) appears here in MM?

I respect that thought, really I do, but would you agree that a pose can only be done a finite numbers of ways? And at what point would the pose in itself become cliche? Can there be any argument that this has certainly turned into just that?

For what it's worth, this was the first time I've seen that photo. I don't care for it myself.

Nov 02 05 10:49 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

I would say photography is like music. Everything has been done. Yes there are many ways to take what has been done and make it our own but basically we are all working off a foundation now. I see a lot of great stuff on here (look at everything in Envy's portfolio....it is amazing......It is some of the most original stuff I have seen and I love it) But even the most amazing shots can be traced back to someone else. Just like a new song.

Nov 02 05 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

How about recreations of the very popular poster/photograph of two girls called "The Kiss"? The black and white shot of two cuties in white t shirt and underwear on a white bed.

https://www.drewmarlowe.com/pictures/wallpapers/the%20kiss.jpg

I have seen some well done recreations with the photographers own twist but so many try to copy it exactly. I think the just want girls kissin in front of them and take pictures to,,,,,,,,,, "look back on" lol.

Nov 02 05 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Photographer

Tomi Hawk

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rickOPIOLA wrote:

Envy wrote:

Hahaha .. she's no *angel* .. oops wait ..  that din come out right .. ummm ... dark clouds .. swirling wind .. stormy backgroud ... BLACK at that .. err uhhh ..

I admit .. its a diff *look* .. I sorta wish I'da thought that up when I was requested .. lol .. but .. she'd a never gone for it .. sigh ..

Be nice for one of my *Black Hole* Raiders games tho ... lalalalallalalalaaa .. buh bye .. smile

Tomi

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

hmm... girl in bed with a strategically placed sheet (usually white). I'm not saying those images can't look good, I'm just saying you see them a lot.

Nov 02 05 11:17 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
How about recreations of the very popular poster/photograph of two girls called "The Kiss"? The black and white shot of two cuties in white t shirt and underwear on a white bed.

https://www.drewmarlowe.com/pictures/wallpapers/the%20kiss.jpg

I have seen some well done recreations with the photographers own twist but so many try to copy it exactly. I think the just want girls kissin in front of them and take pictures to,,,,,,,,,, "look back on" lol.

I'll recreate that! wink

Nov 02 05 11:17 pm Link

Photographer

Fred Beeson

Birmingham, Alabama, US

The infamous looking over the sunglasses shot...........ITS not Dead its past rigor mortis

Nov 02 05 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

[img]snip[/img]

snip

I guess I'm a hermit, I've never seen this photo either.

Nov 02 05 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

this one

https://starphoto.4t.com/_MG_5675.jpg

Nov 02 05 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Kilgore

Edina, Minnesota, US

FreddyB wrote:
The infamous looking over the sunglasses shot...........ITS not Dead its past rigor mortis

Runs and hides photo:

https://www.mag-jr.com/damn.jpg

Terrible photo and image edit, I did it in  bout two seconds

Nov 03 05 01:18 am Link