Forums > General Industry > Modeling in the real world (a list) (my 1st rant)

Model

Kime

Astoria, New York, US

peabos the man...  simple and easy..

Aug 23 07 09:23 pm Link

Model

Kadi

Weehawken, New Jersey, US

Wow, this is the best thread I have read in my life!
I still have shivers...
It seemed like it was written from the bottom of the heart, with sincere best wishes to anyone who reads this.
I will print it out and read it every time I feel low.
Thank you!

And I miss my mommy too sad

Aug 23 07 09:30 pm Link

Model

Kadi

Aug 23 07 09:31 pm Link

Model

Kadi

sorry, pressed "submit" for too many times...

Aug 23 07 09:31 pm Link

Model

Kadi

Jarvis wrote:
Can we put this on the home page here?

I was thinking the same thing! Instead of everyone always sending newbies to www.newmodels.com or whatever, we should start sending them to this Thread smile

Aug 23 07 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tom Linkens

Lititz, Pennsylvania, US

The Peabo wrote:
I rarely ever rant or even get aggravated, but lately I have read lots of posts about what folks will or won't do for their chosen profession (modeling specifically).  I made a list of things that models (and photographers/actors/ etc)  face everyday. You have to learn to suck it up and go on for crying out loud, if you ever hope to "make it" in this business. Forgive me if I sound bee-yotch-y.  I am in doing EVERYTHING in my power to make it and get tired of hearing people whine while expecting others to do it for them.
Feel free to add to the list or debate a point.

1.  You do NOT need a manager!
2.  You do NOT need a portfolio to begin.
3.  Agencies LOVE snapshots of you against a PLAIN background.
4.  You WILL eventually have to cut, color, braid, whatever your hair. Get used to it.
5.  You WILL be asked to lose/gain/tone your body weight. Get used to  that.
6.  You WILL be stressed to the max.
7.  You WILL get hit on…lots…by men and women! You will be groped, felt up, made to feel uncomfortable…I KNOW THIS.  Be Prepared.
8.  You WILL eat lots of ramen noodles. Develop a taste for it.
9.  Chances are you WILL NOT be an overnight sensation.  Get used to sleeping on thefloor of  your buddies/bff’s/moms best friends uncles girlfriends floor.  Suck it up.
10. You WILL wait tables, mop floors, say “would you like fries with that” for a while...maybe a long while.
11. If you are 5’3” and 145 lbs, you WILL NOT do runway/fashion for a major market. Doen matter whether you are a guy or a girl.  That is just the way it is.
12. Most likely you WILL NOT get discovered at the Starbucks.  Get off your duff and get out to open calls.
13. You WILL PAY for a shoot at some point.  Agencies will most likely require you to shoot with one of their preferred photographers. And you WILL.
14. Please DO NOT expect to get paid for your 1st, 2nd, or 15th shoot unless you are
       A) exceptional B) willing to show boobies (ladies) or C) LUCKY.
15. Know that the LITTLE THINGS will follow you.  Be polite. Answer emails. Be professional. Don’t gossip.
16. You are NOT a professional just because you have done 3 TFP’s. Don’t put it on your port that you are. Other professionals will expect things from you that you may not know how to do yet. There is no shame in being NEW.
17. Saying NO politely is always an option. Flaming is NOT.
18. Being an editorial/fashion model is NOT the be all/end all. There is lots of money to be made and lots of fame to be gleaned from doing commercial/print/alt/fetish/etc modeling. Pick what suits your body type and desires.
19. You WILL be asked to “sex up” your portfolio, do nudes, implied nudes, or other things that may offend your sensibilities. Get used to it and refer to # 17.
20. You DO NOT tell an agency what you will or will not do. They WILL tell you what they want & you can make a decision that is right for you.  The agency MAY or MAY NOT decide to represent you at that point.
21. You WILL hear “NO” many, many times. Toughen up for it.
22. This is NOT a glamorous life. It is hard. Long hours, walking miles, subways, little sleep, loneliness, rude comments, and lots of “No thank you’s”, will be the norm.
23. People WILL think it is their constitutional right to judge you, tell you that you are fat/skinny/ugly/don’t look like a model. Expect it and try to develop a tough skin.
24. Things WILL bother you. You WILL want to cry/quit/jump off a bridge. Just cry, it is ok and doesn’t make you weak, just human. DO NOT, however, jump off a bridge. It won't help.
25. You WILL have to work with people that you loathe, are not attracted to, or who you think smells awful. Suck it up. You are a professional, this IS your job!
26. You WILL have to work out/eat right/take care of your body. Just do it already.
27. Water IS your friend.
28. Drugs are NOT.  However, they are easy to come by. Refer to # 17.
29. Remember, if you DO “make it”, you were once new. Act accordingly.
30. There is more than enough hate in the world. . LOVE yourself, your family, your friends. They WILL be there for you when the world stops cheering!
31. If you ask for critiques from anyone, expect the truth and LISTEN. Take what others tell you, apply what is needed & discard the rest. This will help you grow in your profession and in life.
32. Have FUN for this too shall pass.
33. Just because you “want this more than anything in the world” DOES NOT mean that it will happen for you. Give it your best but have a back-up just in case.
34. Just because you get signed by the biggest/best/prettiest agencies in the world, you CAN NOT expect to sit back and get rich and/or famous! You MUST still work/network/bust your butt to get ahead. Agencies sign lots of people. Not all of them “make it”. TRUTH.
35. You WILL be lied to/led on.  It is the nature of the business. SMILE.

Sorry if I offend anyone. This is just the way that I see it in the world I am living in right now...and I miss my mommy sad (sorry, just my whine for the day, we all get one, right?)
PEACE, LOVE, and PUPPIES:D
PEABO

Subtracting 4, 5, and 11 for myself.

But I'll add my favorite things that make this work:

1. Be at the designated meeting place before the model, who arrives and sees me standing around. Usually bored as hell and/or annoyed at something.

Like some woman hogging the pay phone Heidi_K said she'd call if things went awry.

2. Usually on a trip Ramen would be a blessing.

Back in June I had enough money to travel & pay Heidi..and buy a clif bar & a bottled water. Which is what I ate all day...I really got my ass kicked by heat exhaustion & dehydration.

3. On the flip side food may be plentiful, but would you want to eat it?

If there is food available, such as at the 30th Street Station in Philly. I have to decide between McDonalds or Gomez's Taco Puke as my best worst choice.

4. Getting to & from New York.

Awesome city, even better opportunities therein. Plus a grand total of six hours on an Amtrak train to & from Manhattan. I always get a sore neck riding the train that long. And many is the times I had to use the men's room as the train sways in one out of four different directions at random.

Aug 23 07 09:39 pm Link

Model

The Peabo

Los Angeles, California, US

Kadi wrote:
Wow, this is the best thread I have read in my life!
I still have shivers...
It seemed like it was written from the bottom of the heart, with sincere best wishes to anyone who reads this.
I will print it out and read it every time I feel low.
Thank you!

And I miss my mommy too sad

Wanna come over and we can miss our mommies together???

hehehe!

Aug 23 07 09:43 pm Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Yes, a very good post. As others have been in the past, useful, thoughtful and truthful information from working professionals and yet we still get this: https://modelmayhem.com/p.php?thread_id=179147

Why? To me the answer is simple, NO matter how much advice one is given, one has to be willing to LISTEN, then ACT on that advice. A lot of folks suffer from the "well, that's not meant for me" rule or the "i am gonna be the one that breaks the rules."

This game of modeling/photography was here before me, you and will be here after we are gone. So STUDY this craft, profession, business as you would law or medical school.

Oliver

Aug 23 07 09:45 pm Link

Model

Irene

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I think I love you, marry me. big_smile

btw::I miss my mommy 3 sad

Aug 23 07 09:46 pm Link

Model

The Peabo

Irene wrote:
I think I love you, marry me. big_smile

btw::I miss my mommy 3 sad

Miss your mommy party!!!

Aug 23 07 09:53 pm Link

Model

Ariel Danielle

Houston, Texas, US

*throws self off a bridge*

Omg. Liar.

That totally helped.

Aug 23 07 11:20 pm Link

Model

The Peabo

Just Ariel wrote:
*throws self off a bridge*

Omg. Liar.

That totally helped.

yikes

LOL

Aug 23 07 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Vincent Hobbs

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Excellent advice to new models.

Aug 24 07 12:08 am Link

Model

Bon voyage MM

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I love it. Lots of truth. Bottom line, to stay humble and work hard.

Aug 24 07 12:13 am Link

Model

Fifi

Gainesville, Florida, US

My Baby Peabo, making such informative posts.... Love you!

Aug 24 07 12:15 am Link

Model

The Peabo

Sabrina Maree wrote:
I love it. Lots of truth. Bottom line, to stay humble and work hard.

Much more concise than mine wink
Truth!

Aug 24 07 12:15 am Link

Model

Teresa Noreen

Good rant!

I can't agree with 8, 9, & 10, at all.
But 35... I'd put that in the top three!

Peabo, are you granting permission to repost? Meh - maybe it's just easier to link to the post.

Aug 24 07 12:23 am Link

Model

The Peabo

Teresa Noreen wrote:
Good rant!

I can't agree with 8, 9, & 10, at all.
But 35... I'd put that in the top three!

Peabo, are you granting permission to repost? Meh - maybe it's just easier to link to the post.

Yup, yup

Aug 24 07 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Michael Donovan

Chicago, Illinois, US

Great list!!!! big_smile

Aug 24 07 12:33 am Link

Model

ashara

Brewster, New York, US

BRILLIANT!!! (well, VERY GOOD ) lol

Aug 24 07 02:31 am Link

Photographer

Digitoxin

Denver, Colorado, US

The truth is NEVER a rant.

Funny thing, you can take most of your post and apply it to ANY profession... businessperson, salesperson, etc.  The rules of hard work, rejection, struggle, perseverance, determination, success, failure, long hours, politeness, interpersonal skills, being true to yourself, and sleep deprivation, are common to many adults. 

You are wise far beyond your years.

Thank you.

Aug 24 07 06:16 am Link

Photographer

BYS

Paris, Île-de-France, France

good to read some pro words
tb

Aug 24 07 06:25 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

The Peabo wrote:
I rarely ever rant or even get aggravated, but lately I have read lots of posts about what folks will or won't do for their chosen profession (modeling specifically).  I made a list of things that models (and photographers/actors/ etc)  face everyday. You have to learn to suck it up and go on for crying out loud, if you ever hope to "make it" in this business. Forgive me if I sound bee-yotch-y.  I am in doing EVERYTHING in my power to make it and get tired of hearing people whine while expecting others to do it for them.
Feel free to add to the list or debate a point.

1.  You do NOT need a manager!
2.  You do NOT need a portfolio to begin.
3.  Agencies LOVE snapshots of you against a PLAIN background.
4.  You WILL eventually have to cut, color, braid, whatever your hair. Get used to it.
5.  You WILL be asked to lose/gain/tone your body weight. Get used to  that.
6.  You WILL be stressed to the max.
7.  You WILL get hit on…lots…by men and women! You will be groped, felt up, made to feel uncomfortable…I KNOW THIS.  Be Prepared.
8.  You WILL eat lots of ramen noodles. Develop a taste for it.
9.  Chances are you WILL NOT be an overnight sensation.  Get used to sleeping on thefloor of  your buddies/bff’s/moms best friends uncles girlfriends floor.  Suck it up.
10. You WILL wait tables, mop floors, say “would you like fries with that” for a while...maybe a long while.
11. If you are 5’3” and 145 lbs, you WILL NOT do runway/fashion for a major market. Doen matter whether you are a guy or a girl.  That is just the way it is.
12. Most likely you WILL NOT get discovered at the Starbucks.  Get off your duff and get out to open calls.
13. You WILL PAY for a shoot at some point.  Agencies will most likely require you to shoot with one of their preferred photographers. And you WILL.
14. Please DO NOT expect to get paid for your 1st, 2nd, or 15th shoot unless you are
       A) exceptional B) willing to show boobies (ladies) or C) LUCKY.
15. Know that the LITTLE THINGS will follow you.  Be polite. Answer emails. Be professional. Don’t gossip.
16. You are NOT a professional just because you have done 3 TFP’s. Don’t put it on your port that you are. Other professionals will expect things from you that you may not know how to do yet. There is no shame in being NEW.
17. Saying NO politely is always an option. Flaming is NOT.
18. Being an editorial/fashion model is NOT the be all/end all. There is lots of money to be made and lots of fame to be gleaned from doing commercial/print/alt/fetish/etc modeling. Pick what suits your body type and desires.
19. You WILL be asked to “sex up” your portfolio, do nudes, implied nudes, or other things that may offend your sensibilities. Get used to it and refer to # 17.
20. You DO NOT tell an agency what you will or will not do. They WILL tell you what they want & you can make a decision that is right for you.  The agency MAY or MAY NOT decide to represent you at that point.
21. You WILL hear “NO” many, many times. Toughen up for it.
22. This is NOT a glamorous life. It is hard. Long hours, walking miles, subways, little sleep, loneliness, rude comments, and lots of “No thank you’s”, will be the norm.
23. People WILL think it is their constitutional right to judge you, tell you that you are fat/skinny/ugly/don’t look like a model. Expect it and try to develop a tough skin.
24. Things WILL bother you. You WILL want to cry/quit/jump off a bridge. Just cry, it is ok and doesn’t make you weak, just human. DO NOT, however, jump off a bridge. It won't help.
25. You WILL have to work with people that you loathe, are not attracted to, or who you think smells awful. Suck it up. You are a professional, this IS your job!
26. You WILL have to work out/eat right/take care of your body. Just do it already.
28. Drugs are NOT.  However, they are easy to come by. Refer to # 17.
29. Remember, if you DO “make it”, you were once new. Act accordingly.
30. There is more than enough hate in the world. . LOVE yourself, your family, your friends. They WILL be there for you when the world stops cheering!
31. If you ask for critiques from anyone, expect the truth and LISTEN. Take what others tell you, apply what is needed & discard the rest. This will help you grow in your profession and in life.
32. Have FUN for this too shall pass.
33. Just because you “want this more than anything in the world” DOES NOT mean that it will happen for you. Give it your best but have a back-up just in case.
34. Just because you get signed by the biggest/best/prettiest agencies in the world, you CAN NOT expect to sit back and get rich and/or famous! You MUST still work/network/bust your butt to get ahead. Agencies sign lots of people. Not all of them “make it”. TRUTH.
35. You WILL be lied to/led on.  It is the nature of the business. SMILE.

Sorry if I offend anyone. This is just the way that I see it in the world I am living in right now...and I miss my mommy sad (sorry, just my whine for the day, we all get one, right?)
PEABO

This is what a lot of "models" and model wannabe's need, particularly on this site: a cold hard dose of reality.  Sadly, most will continue to hide in the quagmire of their own fantasies and unrealistic world views!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Aug 24 07 06:26 am Link

Model

N i c o l e- Commercial

Lake Forest, Florida, US

The Peabo wrote:
7.  You WILL get hit on…lots…by men and women!

PEABO

Aug 24 07 06:32 am Link

Model

N i c o l e- Commercial

Lake Forest, Florida, US

JAY carreon wrote:

This is what a lot of "models" and model wannabe's need, particularly on this site: a cold hard dose of reality.  Sadly, most will continue to hide in the quagmire of their own fantasies and unrealistic world views!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

models. gigidy.
https://www.hollywoodstandups.com/images/quagmire.jpg

Aug 24 07 06:34 am Link

Photographer

STUDIO A B

New York, New York, US

so ture and i love every fact.. you will make because you know..
the game..
michel
edgy models
NOTE;
but people like me and udor that can open the doors for them and we try but they don;t show up or run..so far 3 models on here are working well with clients of mine doing runway and print work...

Aug 24 07 06:40 am Link

Model

Amanda Vorhies

Plattsburgh, New York, US

best rant ever big_smile

Aug 24 07 06:44 am Link

Photographer

EyeBully

New York, New York, US

Awesome post Peabo!
It sorta reminds me of the old proverb "The Rules For Being Human"
But - "shoot Son, you's growed up quick!"

Aug 24 07 07:24 am Link

Model

Lula Robins

The Peabo wrote:
7. You will be groped, felt up, made to feel uncomfortable…I KNOW THIS.  Be Prepared.

No no no.

A lot of your advice was good but this lets you so badly down.  Don't advise anyone to stand for that kind of thing or try to normalise it in an industry where photographers who shoot nude and fetish can have a bad enough reputation through ignorance or poor judgement as it is.

Being made to feel uncomfortable or humiliated is not a simply standard and acceptable part of the modelling experience.  If it has been your personal experience then you need to start asking questions about the people you've so far had the misfortune to work with.

Aug 24 07 07:28 am Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Excellent, Peabo.  Excellent.

______

On a side note:  sexual harrassment is prevalent in modeling as it is in other professions and jobs.  It is part of the territory.

Aug 24 07 07:42 am Link

Model

September Sui

Riverside, California, US

KATHY   JEAN wrote:
Excellent, Peabo.  Excellent.

______

On a side note:  sexual harrassment is prevalent in modeling as it is in other professions and jobs.  It is part of the territory.

It doesn't have to be. Belittlement and humiliation makes for very poor work relations, in any industry.

Peabo's #17 applies in these cases. Draw the line, make a stand, but don't be a jackass about it.

Aug 24 07 10:15 am Link

Model

The Peabo

Lula Robins wrote:

No no no.

A lot of your advice was good but this lets you so badly down.  Don't advise anyone to stand for that kind of thing or try to normalise it in an industry where photographers who shoot nude and fetish can have a bad enough reputation through ignorance or poor judgement as it is.

Being made to feel uncomfortable or humiliated is not a simply standard and acceptable part of the modelling experience.  If it has been your personal experience then you need to start asking questions about the people you've so far had the misfortune to work with.

Oh no, I did not mean you had to stand for it...so yes apply rule # 17 to that as well.  I have been ummmm...hit on...big time by a very well known person with excellent references!  I did immediately tell the appropriate person (no not my mom...lol) and was told that I shoulda popped that person in the mouth!  I just wanted folks to KNOW that it happened and to be prepared.  NEVER accept anything that you are uncomfortable with.

Aug 24 07 10:35 am Link

Model

The Peabo

jhameia wrote:

It doesn't have to be. Belittlement and humiliation makes for very poor work relations, in any industry.

Peabo's #17 applies in these cases. Draw the line, make a stand, but don't be a jackass about it.

Thank you...# 17 applies to every day life as well...you really do NOT have to be a jerk to say NO...unless you have said NO several times and are ignored...then, well we all have our breaking point!

Aug 24 07 10:37 am Link

Model

The Peabo

Dhaniel wrote:
Awesome post Peabo!
It sorta reminds me of the old proverb "The Rules For Being Human"
But - "shoot Son, you's growed up quick!"

I think you have to in this business wink
How are you?

Aug 24 07 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Fotowerks LLC

Montevallo, Alabama, US

Peabo.....

Not only have you come so very far and are wise beyond your years, but you have become an extremely handsome young man who has his head on straight.

Bravo.

Best wishes.

Terry
FotoWerks Photography

Aug 24 07 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Low Tek Photography

Atlanta, Georgia, US

The Peabo wrote:

YES it is. Freezing cold water from the water hose outside is not though. Although you've got to admit, it makes for a really great shot.

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050705/10/42caa29a8147e_m.jpg

=]

Aug 24 07 02:08 pm Link

Model

LoniNewby

Brigham City, Utah, US

This is definitely one of the best threads I've read yet! True, true and oh so true.

Aug 24 07 02:24 pm Link

Model

The Peabo

Low Tek Photography wrote:

YES it is. Freezing cold water from the water hose outside is not though. Although you've got to admit, it makes for a really great shot.

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050705/10/42caa29a8147e_m.jpg

=]

BUT...I had really hot girls sitting in the baby pool making waves...it warmed up nicely wink

Aug 24 07 06:51 pm Link

Model

Stacie Delaine

Huntington Beach, California, US

peabo is amazing smile

Aug 24 07 06:57 pm Link

Model

Ebby is Pink

Brooklyn, New York, US

Woohoo my Lil Red head!!

ebby

Aug 24 07 10:47 pm Link