Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Dodge & Burn, Blending Modes, & Painting w/ Light.

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

OP Note:  Ok.. This is a photoshop shop talk thread.. You don't like photoshop that's fine, but you have absolutely nothing to contribute to this thread by pointing out that you don't like photoshop..

That said..

There's a lot of ways to enhance/control light, contrast, color, saturation, and well.. Pretty much everything after the shot.

Dodging and Burning are frequently used to enhance contrast..  In a non-destructive workflow alternatives to D&B are often used, like painting on layers using blending modes that produce similar effects when shades of black or white are applied - overlay or soft light being the most commonly used examples..

But there's a lot of blending modes, that add a lot of effects..  In my experience D&B enhances contrast, but a lot of times seems to flatten color a bit..  There's a lot of examples of similar techniques being used for vastly different effects..  Painting in color, saturation, etc..

Dave Hill, Bizarro are just two examples to name because there are recent threads about them..

Thought it might be useful to have a discussion on blending modes, and interesting ways in which people have used them.. 

It's not like the knowledge isn't out there.. But the internet is a big messy place..

We shoot people..  We post process pictures of people..  So lets focus on techniques that apply to and enhance model photography..

(ps.. Discussion of masking as it applies to the techniques is also welcome..)

Aug 24 07 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

EL PIC

Austin, Indiana, US

Dodge and Burn is what made Ansel Ansel !!

Think he would have a field day with PS.

But too many models this day Dodge and Burn Photographers !!

EL

Aug 24 07 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

J O N A T H A N

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dodge and burn too much will altar colors so it has to be done carefully... burning will start to altar and even darken/saturate colors and cannot just go back a dodge over it because it wont like undo the burn it just dodges the burned and then will start getting ashy...

Been slowly trying the layers of black and white ... but havent done it on anything major yet...

I should just get a book to better my technique... pretty much self taught and have been doing fine just using 3 main tools but lately hasnt been enough for some things...

Aug 24 07 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

J O N A T H A N wrote:
Dodge and burn too much will altar colors so it has to be done carefully... burning will start to altar and even darken/saturate colors and cannot just go back a dodge over it because it wont like undo the burn it just dodges the burned and then will start getting ashy...

What about using dodge and burn techniques to intentionally alter color?  What blend modes add saturation? 

I'm experimenting..  I'm not perfect at what I do by any means, but I've gotten to the point where I've started hitting on the limitations of the way I do what I do..  One of them being I tend to have very flat colors in my images.. Which is fine, it's my taste.. But when I want to get away from that my own editing techniques get in my way..  I've seen great examples of brightly colored "paint with light" style techniques done entirely in photoshop.. But the how's and why's get pretty muddy..

Our own Ransom J of late has come upon a technique that produces some outrageously stylist, brightly colored stuff..  It's neat.. I wouldn't want every picture to look like that..  But.. It's new to me.. So I'm interested.

Aug 24 07 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Rather than dodge and burn in the traditional sense - with the dodge and burn tool, consider creating a new layer and set the blend mode to "overlay" and click the "Fill overlay with 50% neutral color (50% gray)."  From there, select your paint brush, set the color to black to burn and white to dodge.  To increase or decrease the effect, set the brush's opacity to whatever it needs to be.

By doing this I've noticed that my colors stay on track a lot better and I don't have crazy overlaps that I have to get rid of.

Aug 24 07 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

MB Photography

Paradise Valley, Arizona, US

I am experimenting with a slightly different approach,  I take my original image, convert it to LAB mode and duplicate the lightness channel as a new channel.  I then revert back to RGB mode and copy the new channel as a new B&W layer set in luminosity mode.  I then add a new soft light layer (grouped with previous layer) and filled with 50% gray.  I can then dodge and burn in this new layer to manipulate contrast without affecting my colors too much.

My layers look like this
https://www.berumen.info/images/IMG_9763_b_a.jpg
I am hoping to see this thread develop.

[Edited for readability]

Aug 24 07 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

Aug 24 07 01:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

MB Photography wrote:
I am experimenting with a slightly different approach,  I take my original image, convert it to LAB mode and duplicate the lightness channel as a new channel.  I then revert back to RGB mode and copy the new channel as a new B&W layer set in luminosity mode.  I then add a new soft light layer (grouped with previous layer) and filled with 50% gray.  I can then dodge and burn in this new layer to manipulate contrast without affecting my colors too much.

Want to make sure I'm understanding this.. You're using the lightness layer as a mask on your D&B layer?  Did I get that right..?  If so I get what you're doing.. If not.. Ya lost me.

Photographer

FootNote Fotography

Gainesville, Florida, US

SmartAz Photography wrote:
Rather than dodge and burn in the traditional sense - with the dodge and burn tool, consider creating a new layer and set the blend mode to "overlay" and click the "Fill overlay with 50% neutral color (50% gray)."  From there, select your paint brush, set the color to black to burn and white to dodge.  To increase or decrease the effect, set the brush's opacity to whatever it needs to be.

By doing this I've noticed that my colors stay on track a lot better and I don't have crazy overlaps that I have to get rid of.

I have used this before it works well for color photos but i do love Dodge and Burn for B&W photos.

Photographer

MB Photography

Paradise Valley, Arizona, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:

Want to make sure I'm understanding this.. You're using the lightness layer as a mask on your D&B layer?  Did I get that right..?  If so I get what you're doing.. If not.. Ya lost me.

I'm dodging and burning the lightness layer  which is in turn set to luminosity mode over the original.  I'll add an image in a few minutes

Aug 24 07 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

"Fill overlay with 50% neutral color (50% gray)."

What does this do that an empty layer doesn't do?

Aug 24 07 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

J O N A T H A N wrote:

Been slowly trying the layers of black and white ... but havent done it on anything major yet...

I should just get a book to better my technique... pretty much self taught and have been doing fine just using 3 main tools but lately hasnt been enough for some things...

Dodge and burn is irrevocable to the layer you work on and therefore destructive in nature (I know, you can use undo or the history pallet, but it is still irrevocable and destructive non the less) You would be better off painting in a softlight layer with black or white and varying opacity for final effect.

Aug 24 07 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

MB Photography wrote:

My layers look like this

[Edited for readability]

Try "command, option, shift, tilde" to load a selection of the luminance value of the file and "command, delete" with black as the background color to fill a new layer. It will save you some time.

Aug 24 07 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:

Oddly enough, you don't see the 50% neutral color.  It's as if it's just a checkbox that you select.  I think it simply keeps your brush tones neutral. 

After you burn or dodge, you have to remember to switch out of that layer.  I often forget and then try to do some other adjustment -- that doesn't work -- until I go back to my original layer.

Aug 24 07 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Oddly enough, you don't see the 50% neutral color.  It's as if it's just a checkbox that you select.  I think it simply keeps your brush tones neutral. 

After you burn or dodge, you have to remember to switch out of that layer.  I often forget and then try to do some other adjustment -- that doesn't work -- until I go back to my original layer.

My point is that it doesn't do anything. I read an awful lot of how to books just to see if there is anything new to learn and they all have this same procedure. Filling with neutral gray does absolutely nothing that I can glean.

Aug 24 07 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jeanloup2

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

My point is that it doesn't do anything. I read an awful lot of how to books just to see if there is anything new to learn and they all have this same procedure. Filling with neutral gray does absolutely nothing that I can glean.

would doing a level or curve adjustment on that layer be different with neutral gray as opposed to transparent... I guess I should just try it.

Aug 24 07 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

I think the overlay mode algorithm darkens parts of the image that are below 50% luminosity, lightens everything above 50% and doesn't do much at 50%.

Aug 24 07 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jeanloup wrote:
would doing a level or curve adjustment on that layer be different with neutral gray as opposed to transparent... I guess I should just try it.

We're talking about painting into a gray background not curving one.

Edit... That sounded mean spirited. I didn't want it to, it just happened. Didn't mean any offense.

Aug 24 07 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

My point is that it doesn't do anything. ...

As it's supposed to. If you start with white (level 255) you can't make white more white. Same with black.

Just disregard this if I'm not understanding the discussion. Don't have the patience to read the whole thread.

Aug 24 07 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Fotticelli wrote:

I think the overlay mode algorithm darkens parts of the image that are below 50% luminosity, lightens everything above 50% and doesn't do much at 50%.

Doesn't do anything at 50%.. This is true of many of the blending modes.. The point Bob is making is that if you use a blank layer (no info) vs using one that's 50% gray.. It's treated exactly the same.. Making the 50% gray part a pointless step.

Aug 24 07 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Jeanloup2

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

We're talking about painting into a gray background not curving one.

Edit... That sounded mean spirited. I didn't want it to, it just happened. Didn't mean any offense.

Understood, but after the painting you can adjust the contrast of the painting by applying a curve or level adjustment. I was just wondering if this would be different with tranparent vs. neutral grey in the painting layer.

Aug 24 07 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Fotticelli wrote:

As it's supposed to. If you start with white (level 255) you can't make white more white. Same with black.

Just disregard this if I'm not understanding the discussion. Don't have the patience to read the whole thread.

My point is it's an unnecessary step, at least for painting black and white onto a softlight, hardlight or overlay layer.

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Jeanloup wrote:

It would be the same as changing opacity of the adjustment layer to 50%.

Photographer

Jeanloup2

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Fotticelli wrote:

It would be the same as changing opacity of the adjustment layer to 50%.

not with a curve adjustment... you could alter the mid tone to highlight and lock the shadow. Mind you much of this can be achieved with masking and using a brush at different opacities.

Aug 24 07 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Le Beck Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I simply dodge and burn by painting with black or white on a layer set to "soft Light". There's absolutely no need to fill it with anything. I can paint with coloured brushes if i want to alter the color of something. I never set my brush to anything more than 10% opacity. I slowly build up density just like the old days when I spotted with india ink diluted in gum arabic. I can alter the opacity of the layer and use a layer mask to vary things when I fine tune. If done right, you cannot see if anything's been done at all. I've been using this technique for at least 9 or 10 years, maybe longer for nearly all my retouching as well.

Aug 24 07 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

My point is it's an unnecessary step, at least for painting black and white onto a softlight, hardlight or overlay layer.

Yeah, you are right. I just tried it. It doesn't make any difference if you are using a brush and painting on white or black to dodge or burn.

The 50% gray matters if you use dodge or burn tools though. Can't dodge white because it's as white as it gets.

Aug 24 07 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Blei Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Where is Scott Kelby when you need him the most?!!

Aug 24 07 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Jeanloup wrote:
not with a curve adjustment... you could alter the mid tone to highlight and lock the shadow. Mind you much of this can be achieved with masking and using a brush at different opacities.

I just tried three things for the heck of it:

Curve adjustment layer in Overlay Mode at 50% opacity

Curve adjustment layer in Overlay Mode at 100% opacity with 50% gray mask

50% gray color layer with the same curve adjustment in Overlay Mode at 100% opacity.

All look the same to me.

I see your point though. You can adjust the burning and dodging with a curve.

I love Photoshop! You can adjust the adjustments to the adjustments.

Aug 24 07 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Don't want to rerail my thread because it didn't have a major direction in mind and nice to see people actually discussing this stuff vs just dissing it..

But when we get worked out what works and doesn't with straight dodge and burn..

Do these techniques produce interesting and useful effects applied in other ways (for example) with other blending modes..

I'm hedging towards trying to figure out how to get some of those super-saturated color looks I'm seeing here and there.. (Yes, the much maligned Dave Hill is a good example).

Aug 24 07 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jeanloup2

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Fotticelli wrote:
I just tried three things for the heck of it:

Curve adjustment layer in Overlay Mode at 50% opacity

Curve adjustment layer in Overlay Mode at 100% opacity with 50% gray mask

50% gray color layer with the same curve adjustment in Overlay Mode at 100% opacity.

All look the same to me.

I see your point though. You can adjust the burning and dodging with a curve.

I love Photoshop! You can adjust the adjustments to the adjustments.

I love this stuff too. It makes my brain ache in wonderful ways.

Heres a test I did.

Made the background layer a colour.
created a new transparent layer
painted a 50% black stripe on it
set it to softlight.
attached a curve layer, with the midtone pulled way down, to the softlight layer.

results... the curve layer did absolutely nothing.

I repeated the above but this time filling the softlight layer with neutral gray before painting the stripe. This time the curve layer changed the image. It darkened the whole picture including the stripe.

Sorry if this is OT, I'm done being myopic.

Aug 24 07 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
What about using dodge and burn techniques to intentionally alter color?  What blend modes add saturation? 

I'm experimenting..  I'm not perfect at what I do by any means, but I've gotten to the point where I've started hitting on the limitations of the way I do what I do..  One of them being I tend to have very flat colors in my images.. Which is fine, it's my taste.. But when I want to get away from that my own editing techniques get in my way..  I've seen great examples of brightly colored "paint with light" style techniques done entirely in photoshop.. But the how's and why's get pretty muddy..

Our own Ransom J of late has come upon a technique that produces some outrageously stylist, brightly colored stuff..  It's neat.. I wouldn't want every picture to look like that..  But.. It's new to me.. So I'm interested.

I sometimes add a saturation layer that I mask to include only those areas that add the best impact to the photo.  Adding adjustment layersand masking are far more useful in Photoshop than dodging and burning.

Aug 24 07 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

MB Photography wrote:

My layers look like this

[Edited for readability]

Now that's something I will have to start playing around with.

Aug 24 07 04:17 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

W.G. Rowland wrote:
Don't want to rerail my thread because it didn't have a major direction in mind and nice to see people actually discussing this stuff vs just dissing it..

But when we get worked out what works and doesn't with straight dodge and burn..

Do these techniques produce interesting and useful effects applied in other ways (for example) with other blending modes..

I'm hedging towards trying to figure out how to get some of those super-saturated color looks I'm seeing here and there.. (Yes, the much maligned Dave Hill is a good example).

You know what might be interesting... Who uses hard mix and linear burn and pin light and linear light and difference and exclusion and how do they use them. I have never found a reason to use pin light or hard mix in anything. I've use exclusion and difference to make masks.

Aug 24 07 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

You know what might be interesting... Who uses hard mix and linear burn and pin light and linear light and difference and exclusion and how do they use them. I have never found a reason to use pin light or hard mix in anything. I've use exclusion and difference to make masks.

That's what I'm getting at.. I've seen tutorials and suggestions of using color dodge and burn modes..  I've yet to get much success in my experiments, though..

Aug 24 07 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Jeanloup2

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

edit: never mind... didn't make sense as usual.

Aug 24 07 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Jeanloup wrote:
edit: never mind... didn't make sense as usual.

S'okay.. I have the book, too..  smile

Aug 24 07 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

To me, paint on layers takes too much effort, if the painting isn't giving me the effect I want. You have to delete the bad layer and start over. Rather than spend the time painting, it's easier to make the mask and feather. Then you can adjust level curve, saturation or even paint/airbrush without worrying about it.

Once you have the mask you can re-do the effect without the careful edge work each time.

There's not an easier way in photoshop to feather/fade an effect if you don't want to use an specific uneven gradation change. Use to be much better control with an enlarger and your hand to get it right. Pressure sensitive tablets, brush shapes and all - it's the dynamic shape change with the hand that's hard to duplicate.

Aug 24 07 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

K. Adam Stockstill

Austin, Indiana, US

I use this technique only with soft light blend mode.

Aug 24 07 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Perish Photography

El Paso, Texas, US

i tend to stay away from dodge and burn unless im ok with utterly distroying a picture. for contrast and color and such i use the curves, exposure, and black and white layer masks. if i need to lighten a certain area up i use a new layer paint that area white. do apprpriate bluring and use soft light. black for making something darker. but i do that very sparingly. i use it as a virtual light in case something gets to dark in the curves/exposure.

Aug 24 07 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

Linear Burn/Linear Light combined with a low opacity (15-20%) Photocopy layer can do some interesting effects to darker details or darker textures.  I've also used these at times when oversharpening with High Pass to get something a little more extreme to look at.

I've pretty frequently used the color selection tool in a field of leaves or flowers on some random midpoint, duplicated that later, applied a slight distortion or motion blur, then dropped it in as Pin light with a slight Hue shift to get something a little surreal without looking cartoony.

I haven't really found a good use for Exclusion or Difference though.  But I was playing around last night with some smoke effects and Difference made the smoke look more like flame.  It was fun to play with, but I doubt I would use it for much though.

Aug 24 07 05:42 pm Link