Forums > Photography Talk > ever gotten arrested or ticketed during a shoot?

Photographer

JeffMendoza

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ever gotten arrested or ticketed during an on location shoot? just wondering cause i just found out that it's illegal to take photos at train stations around LA. i guess you need a permit, even though it's public property.

Dec 01 05 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

vantage

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

hey there. i once got a ticket at the indianapolis museum of art,for defacing public property. the pix is on my site. the model is sitting in some kind of gound cover with flowers. that pix cost me $300.

Dec 01 05 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

JeffMendoza wrote:
ever gotten arrested or ticketed during an on location shoot? just wondering cause i just found out that it's illegal to take photos at train stations around LA. i guess you need a permit, even though it's public property.

I think there is a lot of confusion over permits and even more over what constitututes a commercial shoot. Usually, these two topics go together as permits are normally only applicable to commercial shoots. I would suspect that what a lot of us do here falls in the grey area, thus more potential for misunderstanding.

When I hear the subject of permits brought up, my first instinct is to raise my outstretched arm and shout "Seig! Heil!" or gripe about public property "belonging" to me and my fellow citizens.

I have only recently become active in photography again after a 25 year absence, so I don't know if all this permit stuff is new phenomena.

Is this another example of our rights slowly being eroded away, or has it always been part of the game?

Photographer

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Stevens Point, Wisconsin, US

Heck yes....city of Oceanside Californina Police, told me to leave the pier unless i had 1 million dollars of liability insurance naming "city of Oceanside" as beneficiary.

Did seveal cataloge shoots where we dressed the models and drove in a van....stopping at vintage cars or boats in the harbor to make a five minute location pic, assuming that it was in public so no property release was needed.

Sept told four times in one moring in Minneapolis to get out....see www.pbase.com/techpan2415    click on minneapolis.....i had to shoot from the hip as you might notice.

I can see if I set up scrims and reflector stands etc...should Sally and Johnny trip on them...so it's reasonable to just "leave" when told to, as you will never resolve an excuse for blocking the public.  Just be a rebel when it is safe to everyone around.  Use common sense.
Bob J

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Yea, same with BART in San Francisco.

I was “politelyâ€? asked to put my cameras away by a BART police officer during a recent lifestyle shoot, then referred to their press and media department to receive proper clearance to shoot in or around their property.

The frick'n bastards want a $150.00 media processing fee plus a $2Mill umbrella insurance policy naming them and all of their locations, and then most photographers get denied, but you won't get your money back..... total scam!

Screw that noise Brothers.

I say sneak in your gear, tuck it under a bag and shoot when the coast is clear. 

My next shoot on a transit, I'll have 2 decoys set up on each side of me.

Hey, if ya can't beat 'em, screw'em wink

Dec 01 05 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

The closest I got to a ticket was during a shoot with Lauren (10975). We were shooting on some sided railroad cars but the spur happened to be behind police headquarters out here...ooops. A little conversation, my press credientials and letting the cop check the images got me out of problems (but actually I think Laurens' smile did the trick) smile

Dec 01 05 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Eddie Song Photography

New York, New York, US

Back when I did videography for import car scene, we'd get tons of tickets (hanging cameras off of car rigging without a permit on open road).  But that didn't stop us.  :p

Dec 01 05 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

C R Photography wrote:

I was “politelyâ€? asked to put my cameras away by a BART police officer during a recent lifestyle shoot, then referred to their press and media department to receive proper clearance to shoot in or around their property.

The frick'n bastards want a $150.00 media processing fee plus a $2Mill umbrella insurance policy naming them and all of their locations, and then most photographers get denied, but you won't get your money back..... total scam!

I say sneak in your gear, tuck it under a bag and shoot when the coast is clear. 

As long as what is done is not obviously dangerous or offensive, I'm with you! We should not all be little sheeple and take this lying down.

There was some type of organized protest concerning the NYC subways, and another one concerning a "bean" sculpture in Chicago. Was anyone involved in either of these?

"It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" often applies!

Dec 01 05 01:26 pm Link

Photographer

utako omori

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

rp_photo wrote:
When I hear the subject of permits brought up, my first instinct is to raise my outstretched arm and shout "Seig! Heil!" or gripe about public property "belonging" to me and my fellow citizens.

Is this another example of our rights slowly being eroded away, or has it always been part of the game?

Would you like thousands of Nazi sympathizers shouting Seig Heil outside of your house for their photo album? They'd be on public property.  Presumably, you wouldn't like the association or people wondering how they got permission from you to shoot, ergo the fundamental right of property owners controlling who uses their property.

Dec 01 05 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

nick latino

Tucson, Arizona, US

I was doing a shoot in Orange California a few weeks back and as we were setting up a police officer approached us.  He asked what we were doing and when I explained what was going on he stayed in the area to watch.  Which turned out to be a good thing because of some of the homeless who were sleeping in the park.

I don't know if the city required any permits, but I have been able to do shoots without any permits and in a couple of other occassions have had the police when they drive by stay in the area.  Since I'm not doing any outdoor nudes it fine and offers not only me by my models a sense of security.

Our tax dollars at work.

Dec 01 05 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

utako omori wrote:
Would you like thousands of Nazi sympathizers shouting Seig Heil outside of your house for their photo album? They'd be on public property.  Presumably, you wouldn't like the association or people wondering how they got permission from you to shoot, ergo the fundamental right of property owners controlling who uses their property.

A totally ridiculous comparison!

Dec 01 05 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

JeffMendoza wrote:

Train stations, and tracks, are private property, most of the time. The railroads own them and the tracks, and  property around the tracks, even though a lot of public money was used to build them.

A friend here in TN was fined $300.00 for shooting on the tracks.

I was given a $280.00 ticket in the Great Smoly Mountain National Park, back in 2002. I was just shooting some personal images, and the ranger wrote me up for no permit.

It seems he did not like my 8x10 camera and the big tripod.

I should have told him I was just a GWC.smile

I could have won the case, but lawyers wanted $3000.00 to defend me.

Dec 01 05 01:37 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

nick latino wrote:
I was doing a shoot in Orange California a few weeks back and as we were setting up a police officer approached us.  He asked what we were doing and when I explained what was going on he stayed in the area to watch.  Which turned out to be a good thing because of some of the homeless who were sleeping in the park.

I don't know if the city required any permits, but I have been able to do shoots without any permits and in a couple of other occassions have had the police when they drive by stay in the area.  Since I'm not doing any outdoor nudes it fine and offers not only me by my models a sense of security.

Our tax dollars at work.

That raises a good point. In some cases, what law enforcement may fear is a "circus" situation, such as homeless men "wolf whistling" your model. This may be some of the rationale behind concerns over impeding the public, etc.

Just about any type of shoot can create a "circus", even if the model is dressed in a business suit. It does not take much.

Dec 01 05 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Usualy sombody owns the property then if its not owned by someone then the state has jurisdiction over it usualy.
Every place i have done shoots outside i planned ahead and found out who owned the property and where or how i can contact those people and i never had a problem with permits. The most i paid for a permit was $25 and that covered 3 days i might have been there. I only had to pay for two locations though, the rest had no problem with it since i was not doing commercial photos for those.

Dec 01 05 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

it sometimes depends on the cops themselves

first off permits

if its on goverment property (city/state) owned
you need a permit. such as parks/beaches/train stations/etc

city streets only if your in an area that has regualr modeling and movie biz-ness
california/miami/nyc are the main places

if your doing them for personal use my portfolio//im a art student at" " has a tendency to work
with most cops.if your doing nudes outdoors even worse. i know i have done them.i evaded a few.most are kewl with it due to the model being a hottie, they stand an watch most of the times , but once or twice they ahve warned us to move on.

train stations//goverment is due to 9/11 before it was 1/2 an 1/2 but now more thatn ever
they are tighting down.

Dec 01 05 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:

Train stations, and tracks, are private property, most of the time. The railroads own them and the tracks, and  property around the tracks, even though a lot of public money was used to build them.

I was given a $280.00 ticket in the Great Smoly Mountain National Park, back in 2002. I was just shooting some personal images, and the ranger wrote me up for no permit.

You should not have needed lawyers for that. All you had to do was play stupid and ask where the signs were that said you "Could Not" take photos in the area. Most places that do not allow photos are pretty high profile with all kinds of signs that it is not allowed or you need permission ect.
Did they have signs posted in the area of the entrance or anywhere that you could see?

Dec 01 05 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:
[I was given a $280.00 ticket in the Great Smoly Mountain National Park, back in 2002. I was just shooting some personal images, and the ranger wrote me up for no permit.

These are the types of stories that really chaff me! Didn't "Ranger Rick" have anything better to do? I suppose someone drove by with a booming car stereo or was doing something else genuinely annoying, and they were not ticketed!

These parks belong to all of us!

Also, the punishment does not fit the crime. Fines for truly dangerous things like speeding and running red lights can be lower than that!

Anyone in your situation should be warned at least once (were you?)

I stretch my arm and shout "Seig Heil"!

Dec 01 05 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Jackson

Dayton, Ohio, US

Myself,  a few  models and a makeup person were ran out of a park in Cleveland a few years ago. We were doing a fashion shoot, and some "soccer mom" told a park ranger we were shooting nudes, and of course we weren't.  Deputy dog especially got on my ass because I was from Montgomery county Ohio, and I was in Cuyoga (sp) County.  He was 6'4" and packing so I got my butt out of there.

Dec 01 05 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

rp_photo wrote:

These are the types of stories that really chaff me! Didn't "Ranger Rick" have anything better to do? I suppose someone drove by with a booming car stereo or was doing something else genuinely annoying, and they were not ticketed!

These parks belong to all of us!

I stretch my arm and shout "Seig Heil"!

Thats kinda funny though...unless he walked in the back door he must have walked in the fron tentrance with this camera and tripod, must have passed at least one ranger somewhere between the entrance and where he was taking photos. Then out of the blue after he sets up and probably been there 1/2 hour, a ranger walks up and hands him a ticket?

Dec 01 05 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Eric Jackson wrote:
Myself,  a few  models and a makeup person were ran out of a park in Cleveland a few years ago. We were doing a fashion shoot, and some "soccer mom" told a park ranger we were shooting nudes, and of course we weren't.  Deputy dog especially got on my ass because I was from Montgomery county Ohio, and I was in Cuyoga (sp) County.  He was 6'4" and packing so I got my butt out of there.

I heard other stories just like this. It's always a woman, usually a mom who complains!

Dec 01 05 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

rp_photo wrote:

I heared other stories just like this. It's always a woman and usually a mom who complains!

LOL Thats because her husband and son's are standing there staring at the model...... "Yes dear...were coming.....these birds are real interesting...be right there..."    LMAO

Dec 01 05 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Used to get "up against the car" about one out of four shoots.  Never ticked or arrested.  Cops would call in my DL then warn me about some vague kind of danger, without telling me I couldn't really be there shooting.  So I kept shooting.

Security guards were fun.  They'd watch, as a shoot was probably the biggest excitement they'd ever have in their careers.

-Don

Dec 01 05 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

C R Photography wrote:

I have plans to do a bart shoot eventually. Late at night, of course. I am also looking into what their slow days usually are. Local buses are pretty easy to shoot on. The ones here in town are often empty. They are a college campus run bus system and the drivers are students who don`t really care as long as you are not bothering anyone.

Dec 01 05 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

This one got me a lecture from a refinery security guard. Part of his truck can be seen at the far right, brake lights on and getting ready to turn around and swoop in on me.

This was taken from a public street corner in Artesia, New Mexico.

Ironically, I was in town to work at that refinery. The guard already knew me!

Dec 01 05 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

ArghGoNut Photography

Key West, Florida, US

JeffMendoza wrote:
ever gotten arrested or ticketed during an on location shoot?

No but I have used handcuffs from time to time

Dec 01 05 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:

I guess I am lucky. We have one of the old original pacific railroad stops here in town which is mainly now an Amtrak stop. I have shot on their tracks several times and sometimes inside the station itself because it has the original old look to it in the waiting area with old benches and such. I think I have gotten away with it because it is usually little old men who run the station and sell the tickets at the counters and they are suckers for a pretty girl. So they watch and smile.

Dec 01 05 02:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mac Wolff

Litchfield Park, Arizona, US

I've been in the same situation as everyone else, esp when you want to shoot in a city park, and you have to pay Insurance AND workmans comp to anyone within your shooting area, but whats the real kicker is that everytime I have shot fully clothed models in any location, when Im contacted They allege I was shooting nudes the whole day............Whats up with that??  Now Im more subversive and carry less  lighting for the shoot.....................

Dec 01 05 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

Lund Photography

Puyallup, Washington, US

Gosh, this should tickle MANY in my area who love to try and 'hammer' me on my shooting style. Lets start with your inital question for this post, "Ever gotten arrested or ticketed during an on location shoot?" My answer is a simple no, not 1 or the other.

Now, have I been asked to leave various locations, of course. However, every single person I've shot, has been made aware of the locations before shooting. If they're not comfortable or prefer not to shoot at the location, they have plenty of say to decline.

All I will state is know you're local laws. Several here in my area feel that these tatics are unprofessional or GWC'ish.. My opinion is simple, it's done by many, in many locations. I feel it's done simple to avoid the often 'cookie cutter' look/feel that studios tend to get into after time.

For those in Washington State, this might be of some use http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.52.090..

Dec 01 05 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

First, City, State and National Parks do NOT "Belong to everyone". They belong to the City / State / Nation.
If they belonged to everyone, then you could build a house on them and live there etc....
You as a citizen are given access to said park by the owner (city etc...) as long as you follow the rules that are established there.
I know of several parks that do not allow "Commercial" photography, mainly because they are afraid that if they let one in, then they have to let all in and sooner or later, the public would not be able to walk anywhere because the place would be full of photographers / cameras / equipment etc... (I know that seems like a proposterous thing, but, it has happened before in parks (like Central Park) where because of the attraction, a whole area was nothing more than photogs etc....

Most park rangers though, at elast ones I have dealt with, have no problem if you go up to them in advance, tell them what you are doing and why you are doing it, where it will be, how long you will be etc....

There is a Campground / Park here that is near a power plant. There are tons of signs saying explicitly that photography is prohibited. We told the ranger that we were interested in shooting pictures for archival purposes and to help promote the event we were doing, and that we would ensure that none of them showed the power plant.
He said no problem go right ahead.

It is all about communications.......

Dec 01 05 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Peter Dattolo wrote:

You should not have needed lawyers for that. All you had to do was play stupid and ask where the signs were that said you "Could Not" take photos in the area. Most places that do not allow photos are pretty high profile with all kinds of signs that it is not allowed or you need permission ect.
Did they have signs posted in the area of the entrance or anywhere that you could see?

What was bad was that I had published a poster on the Smoky MT National Park in 1983 for their 1984 50th anniversity.  (1934-84) This made it hard to claim GWC status.

I have shot in the Park several times since then with no problems. When I got the ticket, I was about 500 yards up a creek, and off the road.  He saw my car, and came to check out my fishing license. (Nice trout stream, and I use to fish there.)

My thoughts were to go on and make the money back off of somthing else. I was not arrested, and if I had been I think the judge would have tossed the case.

Before the 9-11 event I photographed a lot of football stadiums during the games.
(Aerials)

Now the air space over large events are off limits to planes and aerial photography.

New rules are making it hard to enjoy life as we knew it.

Dec 01 05 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

AG Fashion Photography

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

This is a fun post.  I've had a few run-ins since I shoot mostly location, and tend to go places I shouldn't (because IMO that's where the great shots are - abandoned warehouses, decrepid areas).  Once, a model and I were ticketed $275 each in a Texas park, not for shooting nudes, but because a ranger saw her changing between shots (and theoretically, so could some mother with children - he actually pointed to where they could have hypothetically been spying in the bushes). 

At a university a model and I walked onto the grounds of the power plant (there were no "no trespassing" signs and the gates were open).  While we were shooting on the catwalk between roofs a cop and the GM of the power plant shouted for us to "get the hell off his building".  After providing creditials and a five minute explanation of what we were doing, the GM got friendly and offered to let us shoot there and in the Haz Mat building as long as I scheduled ahead of time with him. 

Another time I was shooting with a model and a cop stopped to ask what we were doing.  After explaining, he said, "Do you know where you are?"  Evidently, I was in the Hell's Kitchen of Dallas, shooting around a number of known (except to me) crack houses.  He stayed until we were finished to make sure nothing happened to us.

Usually, when confronted by property owners or police, after explaining, most will nod approval or give a time limit (e.g., be out in 15 minutes).  The times we're told to leave, we do so and move onto the next "place we shouldn't be".

Dec 01 05 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Some bridges and other sites that may be targets for terrorists have restrictions on photography.

Dec 01 05 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:

YEA  RANGER RICK  got me and 1 model and 1 photographer in the SMOKEY MOUNTAINS about 5-6 years ago.  They hit me up for $125 and the model got a $75 ticket which paid cause she was working for me.  The other photog also paid $75. 

Had a cop in Dallas come into an old abandoned building yelling at us to get the hell out and if we came back we would go to jail. 

Had a Ranger Rick in Calif walk up on us and told her to get dressed and get out of here and left.  I told her just watch in 2-3 minutes he will be back and if you are stlll nude you will go to jail.  So she got dressed and yep 2-3 minutes he came back.  But what really pisses me off bad is that her husband was supposed to be the lookout but was to busy hitting a tree with a stick and never paid attention to  the road. 

Had a cop drive up to me and a model in Fair Park while she was in a bathing suit in a fountain.  He look, gave up a thumbs up and drove away.

So I do tend to try and stay away from cops, RANGER RICK, or tourists while out and about.

I also do shoot on the RR tracks in Grants New Mexico but have never had any real problems.  YET. 

Good topic.  bs

https://69thesarge.homestead.com/files/BW_YK_1960.jpg

Dec 01 05 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

MorTis

Chiang Mai, Northern, Thailand

generally in most major cities, you legally need a permit to shoot anywhere.

And you considered a professional if you own a real camera or not a torusit or student.  Its pretty dumb.

But i just shoot gorillia, i have actually done full bondage suspension with girls in chicago, and never had a problem, so i do not care about.

I did want to look into see how much a permite was, just so i could say the city of chicago gave me a permit to tie up chicks! ==B)

Dec 01 05 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Also a couple of things I have noticed.

Ranger Rick out west is a lot nicer than that Ranger Rick on the east coast.
Ranger Rick is White Sands NM or Organ Pipe Cactus, Joshua Tree all seem to be so laid back.  If they see you they just tend to tell you to move farther away from the road.  Not any big deal if they see the model naked or not. Just keep them away from the roads and TOURISTS.

Cop.  They HAVE TO ACT on a complaint.  If some soccer mom bitches at them about you shooting nudes then yes they have to act on that complaint.  If he walks up on you then he is free to whatever.  Look and watch, throw you out, tell you never to come back, or give you a ticket.  It just depends.  bs

Dec 01 05 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I hung out around a train tunnel and bridge in Martinez, California for two days, for several hours each, to get this shot and a bunch of others:

I kept wondering if I would be questioned, but had no problems.

Dec 01 05 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

bobby sargent wrote:
Cop.  They HAVE TO ACT on a complaint.  If some soccer mom bitches at them about you shooting nudes then yes they have to act on that complaint.

Yes, but they can do the right thing by telling you to not worry about it and then humoring the soccer mom!

Dec 01 05 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

rp_photo wrote:

Yes, but they can do the right thing by telling you to not worry about it and then humoring the soccer mom!

Well I guess it all depends on the cop, how irate the soccer mon is and what and where you are at.

I have heard other stories from the boys about cops responding to complaints and they boys were all forced to get the hell out or got tickets.

So to a cop what is the  right thing? He has to do his duty and I can respect that.

But this is why I tend to go out on location and away from the roads.  And it helps that we all have walkie talkies.  We split up with the photographers and the models so we are all in different locations.  So we all tend to keep a watch on the roads and listen and look out for each other. 

Still  a good topic.  bs

Dec 01 05 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Henry Tjernlund

Koppel, Pennsylvania, US

JeffMendoza wrote:

I have been aproached and question by police. Once along a highway where I pulled over to get some scenic shots. The cop was nice and just wanted to see what I was up to.

I did some photo work for an architect. One project was to photograph a jewlery store and a bank (exterior only). I made sure I got a letter from the architect that I showed to the managers of the store and bank before doing outside shoots. No problems.

I would say in these days, have your ID in order, a portfolio of you work with you, if you our doing work for someone have a letter on you, if its for a contest have a copy of the contest, etc.

Henry

Dec 01 05 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

NV Style Group

Houston, Alaska, US

Ha Ha,

About 8 months ago my crew and I almost got arrest, but I think since we were a all female crew they let us off.....
We did a shoot in the Houston medical center on the metro lightrail terminal, first of all we didnt know that it was against the law to shoot near public transportation, thanks to 9/11. About 5 transit officers drove up asking us a 101 questions about what we were doing and what the shoot was for and also searched my camera bag and the mua's makeup bag. They feed us a bunch of bs saying that its against the law and that for all they knew we would be terrorist.....OK lets look at this picture, we got a model in a afro wig, and four other blk women on the set, im not trying to say blk women cant be terrorist (LMAO) but lets get real, so after flirting with them a lil bit they told us to hurry up and wrap up the shoot.
By the way heres a picture from that shoot with the train in the back....lol

https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b305/photochic30/c119.jpg

Dec 01 05 06:47 pm Link