Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i have only seen a handful of good sapphic images...i wonder why such a subject is so piss poorly captured.

Dec 14 05 03:08 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Because 9 times out of 10, they are just a pair of heterosexual girls "playing" at being lesbians for the photographer.

That is why those kind of photos tend to be lame, pathetic, phony and passionless.

I have a GREAT photo like that though:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … c2334e09d2

Those models actually lived together and were lovers in real-life. So the affection is real and genuine. I think it shows. And I think that helps make a great image.

Dec 14 05 03:11 pm Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

So true. As a "gay" I gotta say, you can smell the forced sapphic passion from a mile away. But get two people together who really have chemistry, and back out of the room....... slowly.......

Dec 14 05 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

JulieB wrote:
As a "gay"

Enh...why are all the good ones taken, charge too much, or gay?

Dec 14 05 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

needs to be shot by a lesbian perhaps, to gauge the depth of the shot and with REAL  lesbian models .

Dec 14 05 03:15 pm Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

raveneyes wrote:
Enh...why are all the good ones taken, charge too much, or gay?

I am all three!!

Dec 14 05 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

JulieB wrote:
So true. As a "gay" I gotta say, you can smell the forced sapphic passion from a mile away. But get two people together who really have chemistry, and back out of the room....... slowly.......

agreed...i consider myself more than just an intimate expert on the subject.

Dec 14 05 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

JulieB wrote:

I am all three!!

Am I allowed to cry now?

Dec 14 05 03:22 pm Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

Cry! Cry like you've never cried before!!

Dec 14 05 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

the secret is in the selection...two bottoms dont make for real chemistry...two tops might make you a collateral damage victim.

Dec 14 05 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

BCG wrote:
...two tops might make you a collateral damage victim.

Been there...can I just say...*MEEP!*

Dec 14 05 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

JulieB wrote:
Cry! Cry like you've never cried before!!

*SOB* Mom! The mean lesbian made me cry!

Really? What's her number? Is she single?

Yeah...I'm an honorary lesbian with good references.

Dec 14 05 03:34 pm Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

BCG wrote:
the secret is in the selection...two bottoms dont make for real chemistry...two tops might make you a collateral damage victim.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha-- So. True.

Dec 14 05 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

JulieB wrote:

I am all three!!

Julie, I would like to ask what your opinion is of a model who proclaims that she is a Lesbian, then seemingly using that bit of information as a marketing tool for her modeling career?  I know someone like that, she has a website that she sells her pictures from.  I am a friend of hers, and applauded her when she came out.  Now over time it seems more like some sort of marketing gimmick. 

I know that your sexual orientation has little or nothing to do with your modeling.  I just wondered what you thought of models who actually use it for marketing?

Dec 14 05 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

utako omori

Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Nature photograpy  is *very* hard... Especially with seagulls. They don't tend to stay still or in one spot very long to get shoots off.. Thus the lack of lesbian ....

/obligatory beavis reference.

Dec 14 05 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I think it's not fair that I will never know what it's like to rub p*ssies...

(I bet someone's gonna come up with a picture of 2 cats being rubbed together big_smile )

Dec 14 05 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

JulieB wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha-- So. True.

thats why they call me the sapphic impressario...*winks at Julie B*

Dec 14 05 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

While in Chicago this summer, we were at the park downtown with "the Bean". Two young ladies were doing tourist photos of each other. They were both gorgeous. For some reason, I got the vibe they were lesbians...not judging just something I felt. They happened to be walking in the same direction we were just a bit ahead of us. They held hands with a tenderness and intimacy I would have loved to capture.

Unfortunately, I was with my VERY conservative brother and his sons, otherwise I would have asked if I could take a couple shots of them together with their camera and mine. Is there a right way to approach someone to ask such a thing?

Dec 14 05 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

groupw wrote:
Is there a right way to approach someone to ask such a thing?

Hi, I was wondering if I could take a few photos of you two?

Usually a better conversation starter than "Hi I'm a photographer" in my experience.

It usually results in a "Why?" and a conversation rather than an outright refusal.

Dec 14 05 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I'm interested in portraying some of this in my future work. I know a few models who are willing to do this. I am trying to make sure that the two models' looks compliment each other and that they have chemistry. It's a job, not a hook up, but the job can't be done with the fake forced look (key word "look"). And as a woman, I want beauty erotica and emotion, not sleaze.

Dec 14 05 03:57 pm Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Julie, I would like to ask what your opinion is of a model who proclaims that she is a Lesbian, then seemingly using that bit of information as a marketing tool for her modeling career?  I know someone like that, she has a website that she sells her pictures from.  I am a friend of hers, and applauded her when she came out.  Now over time it seems more like some sort of marketing gimmick. 

I know that your sexual orientation has little or nothing to do with your modeling.  I just wondered what you thought of models who actually use it for marketing?

Well.... Personally I hate it. I myself refuse to do "sapphic" shoots because I really hate the fetishism of lesbians that is so rampant. I feel the ramifications of it when I am walking down the street with my girl. The things men say to us really make my stomach curdle. I try to present myself as a lesbian trapped in a person's body, you know? Trying to underline the fact that I'm really just a person.

As a capitalist, however, I begrudgingly respect those who decide to market themselves in a certain light to gain success. When I was a stripper (for tuition, oy) I certainly played it up to make more money, and I am guilty of that. But, at the time it was make money or perish. So. Yeah. I think we have to take responsibility for our image in the world so we can be viewed differently. But, hey, we all do what we gotta do, and it's alright, it's alright.

Dec 14 05 04:08 pm Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

groupw wrote:
While in Chicago this summer, we were at the park downtown with "the Bean". Two young ladies were doing tourist photos of each other. They were both gorgeous. For some reason, I got the vibe they were lesbians...not judging just something I felt. They happened to be walking in the same direction we were just a bit ahead of us. They held hands with a tenderness and intimacy I would have loved to capture.

Unfortunately, I was with my VERY conservative brother and his sons, otherwise I would have asked if I could take a couple shots of them together with their camera and mine. Is there a right way to approach someone to ask such a thing?

I think if you just approached them and said that you mean no offense, but could you take their picture? I think if you make no reference to them being lesbians, or to their physical appearance, but rather treat them as any other couple whose tenderness you'd like to capture on film, they'd be very receptive to it.

Dec 14 05 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:
needs to be shot by a lesbian perhaps, to gauge the depth of the shot and with REAL  lesbian models .

Hence Suze Randall from Penthouse and Hustler fame is one of the hottest girl/girl photographers in the industry.

Every lesbian shoot I've done gets too artsy.

Dec 14 05 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

C R Photography wrote:

Hence Suze Randall from Penthouse and Hustler fame is one of the hottest girl/girl photographers in the industry.

Every lesbian shoot I've done gets too artsy.

Being that much of the love (and by love I mean the type of reciprocal loving relationship that includes friends and family) in my life is involved in homosexual relationships I have always wanted to capture that on film.  Unfortunately I'm afraid to do it.

I don't know if I could, I mean...I know I could do it, but it's something that I want to honor and I think it might come out cheesy or campy or over done...

Dec 14 05 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

my wifes first g/f is now a teacher...she had a affair with one of her h.s. students...shit happens more often than dudes will ever know...and dudes, shit does hapen in the ladies bathrooms that you could NEVER comprehend.

Dec 14 05 04:19 pm Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

raveneyes wrote:
Being that much of the love (and by love I mean the type of reciprocal loving relationship that includes friends and family) in my life is involved in homosexual relationships I have always wanted to capture that on film.  Unfortunately I'm afraid to do it.

I don't know if I could, I mean...I know I could do it, but it's something that I want to honor and I think it might come out cheesy or campy or over done...

You might want to start with documentary type pictures of actual couples. Those usually convey the fullness of a relationship, and from there you could see what elements work with what you are trying to convey, and then begin to exert your artistic influence while still retaining that core.

Dec 14 05 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

JulieB wrote:
You might want to start with documentary type pictures of actual couples. Those usually convey the fullness of a relationship, and from there you could see what elements work with what you are trying to convey, and then begin to exert your artistic influence while still retaining that core.

Well that's pretty much the direction I came up with, but not many couples (gay or otherwise) want to be followed around by a camera guy all day.  AND I don't really have the money to sit around following a couple all day. LOL

Thank you for the idea though...you're reinforcing what I thought would be a good way to tackle it.

Now...to find a couple to follow around for a couple of hours. :\

Dec 14 05 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

i have NEVER been  big fan a ms. randalls work...it is designed for the male viewer...ellen von unworth can strap on a lens better than most men.

Dec 14 05 04:35 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I wasn't aware that Suze Randall was a lesbian.  She definitely shoots for men, as does her daughter.

I've tried doing better lesbian work (as model/art director), but the photographers didn't "get it" and most of the shots didn't turn out the way I wanted them.  Which means I should buy a camera and do it myself.

Dec 14 05 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

theda wrote:
Which means I should buy a camera and do it myself.

Or find someone who gets it?

*poke poke*

Dec 14 05 04:40 pm Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

raveneyes wrote:

Well that's pretty much the direction I came up with, but not many couples (gay or otherwise) want to be followed around by a camera guy all day.  AND I don't really have the money to sit around following a couple all day. LOL

Thank you for the idea though...you're reinforcing what I thought would be a good way to tackle it.

Now...to find a couple to follow around for a couple of hours. :\

Well, you don't have to do it all day, maybe an hour or two at a time, or at their home while they cook dinner, or just interacting naturally in front of the camera.

Dec 14 05 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

JulieB wrote:

Well, you don't have to do it all day, maybe an hour or two at a time, or at their home while they cook dinner, or just interacting naturally in front of the camera.

Any volunteers?

Dec 14 05 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Duvall

Seattle, Washington, US

Some of the best work like this is in David Steinbergs book Photosex, but that is all real couples not models paired up by casting agencies or photographers.

Jim

Dec 14 05 04:42 pm Link

Model

JulieB

New York, New York, US

raveneyes wrote:
Any volunteers?

My honey's camera shy... sad

Dec 14 05 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

JulieB wrote:
I think if you just approached them and said that you mean no offense, but could you take their picture? I think if you make no reference to them being lesbians, or to their physical appearance, but rather treat them as any other couple whose tenderness you'd like to capture on film, they'd be very receptive to it.

That might work in some of the bigger cities [NYC, Chicago, SF, LA], but it really dosen't in places Like Pittsburgh, Albany, Madison, Tulsa, et al.  These places are still very conservative with extremely closeted gay communities.  In addition to my photography work, I'm active in many GLBT causes, and it's rare when I find a couple, male or female, willing to be photographed together.  I hit a lucky streak about a year ago and got maybe 5 or six young [and transient] couples, but that's about it.  Maybe I'll start looking into finding couples specifically for my next trip to the "big city."

Dec 14 05 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

JulieB wrote:

My honey's camera shy... sad

Well...

As to that, so is mine...and it drives me nuts...OHHH! New topic!

Dec 14 05 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

nattacha merritt  of digital diary fame, can out shoot 99% of the dudes on this site...and she has done more for the art of digital photography than all of us combined

Dec 14 05 04:47 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

BCG wrote:

OMG...maybe you DID marry a lesbian. I am a femme bottom, and am attracted to the ephemeral femme top. I have been taken by a few...but it has been rare. More often, I sit there and look into thier eyes and the chemistry just cooks away.

Dec 14 05 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

theda wrote:
I wasn't aware that Suze Randall was a lesbian.  She definitely shoots for men, as does her daughter.

I've tried doing better lesbian work (as model/art director), but the photographers didn't "get it" and most of the shots didn't turn out the way I wanted them.  Which means I should buy a camera and do it myself.

*loans theda an eos 5d*

i once inquired about a series if images you modeled for...i found the expressions to be real...i would have rethought the wardrobe selection.

Dec 14 05 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

BCG

San Antonio, Florida, US

Lapis wrote:

OMG...maybe you DID marry a lesbian. I am a femme bottom, and am attracted to the ephemeral femme top. I have been taken by a few...but it has been rare. More often, I sit there and look into thier eyes and the chemistry just cooks away.

yes...yes i did...but it is not on my dd214.

Dec 14 05 05:18 pm Link