This thread was locked on 2007-11-05 19:53:21
Forums > General Industry > I chose not to shoot with a photographer based on

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

I am curious how many photographers in here will be reluctant in the future to ask model (s) to work with him/her because of this thread.

Nov 05 07 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Edward

Bowie, Maryland, US

Nude Window wrote:
I have a question....

erm haven't MANY people been crucified? I though crucifixion was a common method of punishment at that time?

Why do all crucifixions have to do with jesus?

The Romans were good at and used many people to get their point across as to who was in charge.

Digital Artist

uysdf

Hickory, Mississippi, US

Fotticelli wrote:

Chicken!

bake, fried or barbequed :p

Photographer

Xeris - Dwight

Austin, Texas, US

UnoMundo wrote:
but the tag can be deleted. She was trying to be honest, just chose the wrong method.

lighten up, people.

I have models turn me down, I don't toss my panties because they said no.

To turn someone down is one thing. To turn them down by trying to publicly humiliate them is another thing altogether.

Why not a private message declining the offer?

I guess that doesn't get enough attention, and then they have to drag it out in a public forum too. Very well executed!

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

uhmmm, NOO...that is copyright infringment and quite frankly, R U D E

Phoenix1 wrote:

can i copy the image and save it in photobucket and paste it on here for you all to see

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Krysta Gabrielle wrote:
I think it's rude to turn him down by leaving a comment and not a PM. I would have never done anything like that. I think it's unprofessional and rude. Just my two cents.

i agree totally

Photographer

GAETANO CATELLI STUDIOS

Oxford, Mississippi, US

Lotus Photography wrote:
is it okay to start a sentence with 'alright', isn't that proposition or someting

in this case, it's an allowable interjection.  in any event, you meant preposition.  propositions are something else.

Nov 05 07 04:02 pm Link

Digital Artist

uysdf

Hickory, Mississippi, US

Xeris wrote:

To turn someone down is one thing. To turn them down by trying to publicly humiliate them is another thing altogether.

Why not a private message declining the offer?

I guess that doesn't get enough attention, and then they have to drag it out in a public forum too. Very well executed!

thanks....... i wish people would read the whole thread before posting.....

Nov 05 07 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

alexdavis

San Francisco, California, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

darn...that sucks....ok i'll describe it

2 women inside a church both women are nude..one woman is hanging on the cross.. with a painted glass window in the background... ( she has the crown thorn thing on her head - the makeup was done magnificently kudos to the MUA ) and the other woman is hugging her

Now you got me interested!  What is the MM number or a name of the photographer/models?

Nov 05 07 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ChanStudio wrote:
I am curious how many photographers in here will be reluctant in the future to ask model (s) to work with him/her because of this thread.

not me - heard it all been called it all.
i know that I'm profrssional and treat everyone- especially- models with dignity and respect. Often when they don't deserve it.
No big deal just how I was raised.

Nov 05 07 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

millimeter

Massapequa, New York, US

seriously, we all want to see this image. mm#, please.

Photographer

Roberts Dayton Photos

Dayton, Alabama, US

As a Model and as a Woman, You have the right to turn down any photographer that just doesn't mesh well with you. I'm glad you have a backbone and took a stand! You look like a beautiful woman and a good, experienced model, so you shouldn't have to be concrened with someone who's artistic value might be insulting or possibly show a potential for danger. There's all kind of crackpots out there! Good job!

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

SayCheeZ! wrote:

ChristerArt wrote:
No, that is copyright infringement...

Actually, it's not because it would probably fall within the guidelines of the "fair use" doctorine.

[/ threadjack]

The important and pertinent part here is "may be"...=*^)

When it comes to using others images it is always better to err on the safe side...

Christer

Nov 05 07 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Phoenix1 wrote:
*buttcheeks* big_smile

Alright...

Nov 05 07 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Haywood

millimeter wrote:
seriously, we all want to see this image. mm#, please.

The photographer in question should pay the OP for all this free publicity...and we ain't even seen the photo yet!

Nov 05 07 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Nude Window wrote:
I have a question....

erm haven't MANY people been crucified? I though crucifixion was a common method of punishment at that time?

Why do all crucifixions have to do with jesus?

Name, please, ten other famous people who were crucified.

Nov 05 07 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

thanks....... i wish people would read the whole thread before posting.....

OK. I got it.  You are bored so you want some attention.  What is a better way then turning someone down and then humiliating that person?  Well done.

Photographer

Compass Rose Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

Art isn't offensive. 

Suppressing women, torturing non-believers, conducting wars in the name of god, aggresively assimilating other religions and cultures...and using the power of the 'priest' class to otherwise intimidate, control, and manipulate others for a little under 2000 years...that's offensive. 

I think being offended by outrageous imagery is positively ridiculous by comparison.

Photographer

PHOKIS Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

Phoenix1 wrote:
2 women inside a church both women are nude..one woman is hanging on the cross.. with a painted glass window in the background... ( she has the crown thorn thing on her head - the makeup was done magnificently kudos to the MUA ) and the other woman is hugging her

I understand that everyone has their standards, but it seem silly to me that you turned him dowm based on one image and it was an image that you were not even involved in. You may have missed out on a chance to work with a great photographer, (I haven't seen his work so, I don't know). I would understand turning the project down had he asked you to be involved, but to turn him down because it was in his portfolio seems kind of childish. Honestly, who gives a crap what the church thinks of the image. Does religion really have the right to point finger and judge anyone these days. I think not!

For the record. It sounds like an outstanding image. I would love to see it.

Nov 05 07 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Tony KnightHawk Studios

Fort Myers Beach, Florida, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

hmmmm yes I should have left a PM...but am sort of outraged by the image.....and was not thinking when posted my comment...he'll most likely delete it tho..all of his other work is fair... and nice

I am reminded of the quote but who made it escapes me.."judge slowly"..I can't help but wonder why you chose to base your comment on the one "bad" image and not on his as you put it.."other work is fair and nice"
I know the image you speak of , it is no more offensive than some of the camera phone images on this site (IMHO)
Lastly if you are so outraged about this photographers image, then he did his job. He triggered in you such an outrage that you made a quick judgement about him and took action by making this thread. Now in the light of reason do something about the real outrage of such a church that in recent years has been proven to be home to several who were "not so kind" to the innocent altar boys. I can only wait to hear about the letter you write to the church and the lecture of respect you give them. Or was that not important because it didn't touch your world.
Art's purpose is to inspire thought. To question authority. Yes even push boundaries of respect so it can bring to light the good AND the bad of life. Maybe even inspire some to do something about the real disrespect out there.

excuse the rant..I am more used to speaking with images

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

I'm sorry, I know I'm late, but as a Christian, born and raised, how on earth does one find that offensive?  That sounds like a great concept that, if executed properly, would have had artistic value.

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

ChristerArt wrote:

No, that is copyright infringement...

Actually, if the copy of the image is accompanied by critique and analysis, I would argue that it meets the fair use test.

But then it becomes an unsolicited critique, which violates MM rules.

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

alexdavis wrote:

Now you got me interested!  What is the MM number or a name of the photographer/models?

sounds like a great photo. pushing the envelope.

also, why is it so very very hard for a vast number of people to just change the channel, don't attend the movie, go to a different port. I mean that's what i do when some self righteous person tries to convince me I am a degenerate because I shoot nudes or drink or live with a bi-sexual person or don't support war.
Life is too short to be angry all the time..

Nov 05 07 04:11 pm Link

Digital Artist

uysdf

Hickory, Mississippi, US

Robert Scorpio wrote:
As a Model and as a Woman, You have the right to turn down any photographer that just doesn't mesh well with you. I'm glad you have a backbone and took a stand! You look like a beautiful woman and a good, experienced model, so you shouldn't have to be concrened with someone who's artistic value might be insulting or possibly show a potential for danger. There's all kind of crackpots out there! Good job!

Thank you...... and for everyone else if you read the other pages....again i'll say

I DID APOLOGIZE FOR LEAVING THE COMMENT ON HIS IMAGE..... a picture is worth a thousand words they say......but why is it that everyone chooses only to say the good things...why not say exactly how you feel about it....good or bad....

the photographer seems very professional...I honestly think he'll probably just laugh at all of this....I think that was his intent to stir up controversy with the image..... as he did a great job -  as to will other photographers hesitate to shoot with models because of this thread....WHY? if you're a professional why does it matter what others say about your images...

Photographer

Vzmala

New York, New York, US

overall i don't see it as a bad thing, though i m sure u will approach this differently if the situation comes up again.  if the photog feels strong about the pic (and by posting that is a statement in itself) then u neither have to defend or glorify him and is cognizant of what repercussions can possibly ensue, then u have the right to say what u said.  we should be all grown here- and like my mother would say- "just because i don't agree with you doesn't mean i don't love/like u".  if u ain't feeli working with him- groove on w/ yo bad self, it's all good...

Photographer

EL Perdido

TERLINGUA, Texas, US

The reason I have photographed the nude in some churches is that there are nude paintings in some churches which celebrate the human body. Some of the finest religious paintings are nudes. I fail to see how a photograph of a nude in a church is disrespect.

Nov 05 07 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

there is some offensive tasteless crap out there.

I have turned down shoots that go against my lifestyle.

I tell them why.
I turned down a guy who wanted a degrading "bitches" image.
I can say without your ass getting purple, " I don't do shit like that"

please, we can say NO and not be offended.

Nov 05 07 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Compass Rose Studios wrote:
Art isn't offensive. 

Suppressing women, torturing non-believers, conducting wars in the name of god, aggresively assimilating other religions and cultures...and using the power of the 'priest' class to otherwise intimidate, control, and manipulate others for a little under 2000 years...that's offensive. 

I think being offended by outrageous imagery is positively ridiculous by comparison.

well said!

Nov 05 07 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Robert Scorpio wrote:
so you shouldn't have to be concrened with someone who's artistic value might be insulting or possibly show a potential for danger. There's all kind of crackpots out there! Good job!

How in the world do you make the leap from an image you don't agree with the aesthetics of to judging the creator a Dangerous "Crackpot".
Next thing I guess you would have this guy sent to the Ministry of Love(1984 reference)for Re-Education(ie:Torture and Brainwashing)

Nov 05 07 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

In frame

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I have read what has been writtern here about knocking back a photographic job by the model concerned which i find very strange when if one takes the time to read her Bio about herself. God's gift to photographers. but thats up to the model but then now she will be marked down by photographers and bypassed for other willing models who wish to work with said photographer. Its too easy.
easy come and easy go

Nov 05 07 04:14 pm Link

Digital Artist

uysdf

Hickory, Mississippi, US

EL Perdido wrote:
The reason I have photographed the nude in some churches is that there are nude paintings in some churches which celebrate the human body. Some of the finest religious paintings are nudes. I fail to see how a photograph of a nude in a church is disrespect.

no no ......maybe this is why i'm being bashed....its not it being nude... maybe a little but its just not artistically done from my point of view.... there are paintings of the cruifix, there are nude paintings that hang in some churches.... but  they are artistically done this image to me just looked horrible.....

Nov 05 07 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Dreamrazor

Bellmore, New York, US

Hmm, she says she's not a christian, then why is she getting all shebangled. It's just a photo. It's not like the person wrote, F-God or something on it, it's just a photo. And if this issue was about "Respect" then she should respect the photographer and just leave it be. At least she admits she should have PM the photographer...

Nov 05 07 04:16 pm Link

Model

Valerie L Gonzalez

Cottonwood, Arizona, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

It sounds like a beautiful image!  I see nothing disrespectful about that, and I was born catholic!  It's not like they were having sex or anything! 
It is, however, an outrage that you would leave a nasty comment like that in his picture comments.  It is one thing to turn him down in a PM...but where EVERYONE can see it?!  If you can't do something like that in a professional, diplomatic manner, it is best kept to yourself. 
~ON THE OTHER HAND~ It does say something about your conscience that you felt strongly (and/or badly) enough post a topic on here about it, and ask yourself, "Did I do the right thing?"  If you hadn't asked yourself that, you wouldn't have posted here, am I right?  That has to count for something on your part. smile

Nov 05 07 04:17 pm Link

Digital Artist

uysdf

Hickory, Mississippi, US

In frame wrote:
I have read what has been writtern here about knocking back a photographic job by the model concerned which i find very strange when if one takes the time to read her Bio about herself. God's gift to photographers. but thats up to the model but then now she will be marked down by photographers and bypassed for other willing models who wish to work with said photographer. Its too easy.
easy come and easy go

honestly I really dont care if photographers choose not to shoot with me based on my opinion..... "freedom of speech" its a thing we have here in the US..... easy come and easy go... I just dont give a damn....I posted my critique and i'll stand behind it

Nov 05 07 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

jandj studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

How in the world do you make the leap from an image you don't agree with the aesthetics of to judging the creator a Dangerous "Crackpot".
Next thing I guess you would have this guy sent to the Ministry of Love(1984 reference)for Re-Education(ie:Torture and Brainwashing)

and how many of us would be next!

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Ruben Sanchez wrote:
The image you're describing, is one that is designed to create "controversy", and is not intended to display one's photographic talents.  I'm reminded of the Madonna that was sculpted out of elephant dung, and it created news world wide, even thought the sculpture was not anything that Michelangelo would call "art".  Had the artist made the scultpure out of clay, no one would have ever noticed his work.

I see weak photographers do that all the time, by taking nudes in churches, and then trying to pass the photo off as a "WOW!" photo.  So far, I've never been impressed, or seen a photo of a nude taken in a church, that I would even call, "just ok". 

Still, I admire your beliefs and that you stand up for what you believe in.  Best of luck.  And yes, I would love to shoot with you, should I ever travel up your way.

At last someone has said it.  If this is art then so is using caution tape.  Really people, you have to learn the difference betwen "deliberately controversial" and art.  Using icons in photography and claiming that they are a representation of something else requires subtelty and artistic integrty and endeavour for it to be anything other than pretentious.

If you want to see where symbols and icons can be integrated into a picture to represent deeper meanings, look at Van Eyck's "Arnolfini Marriage" or Milais' Christ in the House of His Parents (`The Carpenter's Shop') . People on here are very quick to label work as art.

Photographer

A Traveler

San Francisco, California, US

Robert Scorpio wrote:

haha what?

I'm so confused as to what being a woman, having a backbone, taking a stand, and a potential for danger and crackpots has to do with this guy's photo.

Nov 05 07 04:19 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Robert Scorpio wrote:
possibly show a potential for danger. .....

Oh Christ....

no pun intended.

Nov 05 07 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Kelly Segre - Mentoring

Los Angeles, California, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

honestly I really dont care if photographers choose not to shoot with me based on my opinion..... "freedom of speech" its a thing we have here in the US..... easy come and easy go... I just dont give a damn....I posted my critique and i'll stand behind it

you don't give a damn......if you thought that way an hour ago none of us would even be in here right now.

Model

__noir__

Buffalo, New York, US

oooo i want to see a link.