This thread was locked on 2007-11-05 19:53:21
Forums > General Industry > I chose not to shoot with a photographer based on

Model

Melanie Lynn

Miami, Florida, US

I think it's unprofessional to post on here and rant about it. I see pictures with photographers in it with their models and it creeps me out. This is why I turn down some photographers but I don't go posting all over MM about it. I might write a line in my profile about it but I just think it's best to keep things like to this to yourself. (Not trying to be mean even though it sounds it) Have a good day.

Nov 05 07 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I think it was wrong to turn down the photographer in public.  Commenting on the photo is fine anything else should have been left to a PM.
Please PM me the link I would like to view the work.
While I understand you being offended by certain types of images I do respect the right of artists to express themselves. When I see more and more censorship going unchallenged in the US I believe we are headed down a dark path where free speech and democracy itself are threatened.

Photographer

Kelly Segre - Mentoring

Los Angeles, California, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

darn...that sucks....ok i'll describe it

2 women inside a church both women are nude..one woman is hanging on the cross.. with a painted glass window in the background... ( she has the crown thorn thing on her head - the makeup was done magnificently kudos to the MUA ) and the other woman is hugging her

what if I found the image to be art and found your comment offensive?  Is it okay for me to leave remarks about you?  Art is allowed to be offensive, personally I find your outrage more rediculous than what you have described in the photograph.  Get over it, there are many bigger issues to tackle. The church has slaughtered millions of people over the history of time yet you find two nude women in a church offensive.  If  you don't want to work with him that is your choice, if he wishes to shoot a monk bending over a nun in a church over the baptismal fountain so be it.  Don't work together, live and let live.

Photographer

Eric Haywood

Phoenix1 wrote:
Now I'm not really religious but its just a RESPECT THING..... I found the image very degrading and humiliating......what do you think.....

Based on the description of the image you provided, I'd guess that the photographer knew full well that his photograph wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.  So yeah, I'd agree with those who said you should've resisted the urge to give him an unsolicited critique.

But at least you owned up to it and pointed him to this thread.  Wonder how he'll react to all that...

Nov 05 07 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

millimeter

Massapequa, New York, US

This just seems silly. He wasn't asking you to be in such a picture. And you say you are not religious.  It just seems silly to pass on someone's talent based on a shoot they did that had nothing to do with your session with him/her. These are professional relationships. I feel like we could be missing out if we allow our politics and convictions to dictate who we associate with professionally.  It is really your own loss.

Nov 05 07 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

Phoenix1 wrote:
2 women inside a church both women are nude..one woman is hanging on the cross.. with a painted glass window in the background... ( she has the crown thorn thing on her head - the makeup was done magnificently kudos to the MUA ) and the other woman is hugging her

How is this a disrespect thing? It sounds like a classically inspired pietà, where Christ's followers are mourning him after his death.

Nov 05 07 03:49 pm Link

Digital Artist

uysdf

Hickory, Mississippi, US

Melanie Lynn wrote:
I think it's unprofessional to post on here and rant about it. I see pictures with photographers in it with their models and it creeps me out. This is why I turn down some photographers but I don't go posting all over MM about it. I might write a line in my profile about it but I just think it's best to keep things like to this to yourself. (Not trying to be mean even though it sounds it) Have a good day.

No you're fine....everyone admits including me..... I WAS WRONG TO POST MY THOUGHTS ON HIS IMAGE..... I had a lapse in judgment.... I was outraged....big deal..he can delete the comment.....

MY POINT

is the image..... I think it was just disrespectful to the church

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This thread reminded me of a question that I be ponderin' for awhile:

OK... if ya COMPLIMENT someone in a thread, and post a link or the photo... it seems acceptable.  No harm.  No foul.  No brig. 

If ya CRITICIZE someone, you'll get brigged for mentioning the name or slammed for posting the link or posting the photo.

So... what happens if ya say...  "I love this photo, it's inspiring, beatuiful, and well done" and post a link to the picture... which happens to be right next to the photo that ya think really sucks!?!?!?

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

I dont demand respect..... I DEMAND CHEESECAKE...AND POP...... big_smile

its the respect for the church and the cross...

So you demand that he has respect for the church? Maybe he has a real gripe with the church in question? Seems like the catholic church isn't  showing respect to its own members. Have you sent them a nasty email as well?

Photographer

Jamie-JAYCE-Charles

Hollywood, Florida, US

pm me the link

Nov 05 07 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

You changed your display name.

Nov 05 07 03:50 pm Link

Digital Artist

uysdf

Hickory, Mississippi, US

millimeter wrote:
This just seems silly. He wasn't asking you to be in such a picture. And you say you are not religious.  It just seems silly to pass on someone's talent based on a shoot they did that had nothing to do with your session with him/her. These are professional relationships. I feel like we could be missing out if we allow our politics and convictions to dictate who we associate with professionally.  It is really your own loss.

it's not really a loss....I dont do this for a living..it's a hobby... if I dont want to shoot with him because of his image then its my choice

Nov 05 07 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

Phoenix1 wrote:

can i copy the image and save it in photobucket and paste it on here for you all to see

No, that is copyright infringement...

Christer

Photographer

Eric Haywood

SayCheeZ! wrote:
This thread reminded me of a question that I be ponderin' for awhile:

OK... if ya COMPLIMENT someone in a thread, and post a link or the photo... it seems acceptable.  No harm.  No foul.  No brig. 

If ya CRITICIZE someone, you'll get brigged for mentioning the name or slammed for posting the link or posting the photo.

So... what happens if ya say...  "I love this photo, it's inspiring, beatuiful, and well done" and post a link to the picture... which happens to be right next to the photo that ya think really sucks!?!?!?

Ah...yet another MM loophole.

Congratulations on being the first (I think) to discover this one!

smile

Model

nope nope nope

Aberdeen, New South Wales, Australia

you're certainly entiteld to your opinion. if the work offends you, don't do it. but the nice thing to do would have been to PM him, not make a public comment. that's just kinda rude.

Digital Artist

uysdf

Hickory, Mississippi, US

ChanStudio wrote:

You changed your display name.

yeah time for something different

Model

Candy Poses

Seattle, Washington, US

https://www-personal.umich.edu/~jrcole/gibran/graphics/gib20.jpg

This appears to be similar to what you're describing, and it was made by Kahlil Gibran, a deeply respected Christian philosopher.  I can't really tell without a picture to compare it to, though, though.

Anyway, we all have our individual limits, and other people don't have to approve of them.

Nov 05 07 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Phoenix1 wrote:
its just a RESPECT THING.....

Oh the irony.

Photographer

Eric Haywood

Phoenix1 wrote:
I think it was just disrespectful to the church

Here's a question:

Maybe it was disrespectful to the church, and maybe it wasn't.  Either way, don't you think the church is capable of fending for itself?

Digital Artist

uysdf

Hickory, Mississippi, US

Gibson Photo Art wrote:

So you demand that he has respect for the church? Maybe he has a real gripe with the church in question? Seems like the catholic church isn't  showing respect to its own members. Have you sent them a nasty email as well?

dude have you read the whole thread....I simply stated my opinion.... again i'll say

I WAS WRONG TO LEAVE A BAD COMMENT ON HIS IMAGE......

Nov 05 07 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Edward

Bowie, Maryland, US

"Be careful of the words you speak, make them soft and sweet, you never know from day to day what words you will have to eat."

Take 6-10 seconds before responding and ask, "will it get me in trouble."  This has helped me many times and boy was I glad I did.

Have a nice day.

Nov 05 07 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Phoenix1 wrote:
its the respect for the church and the cross...

Why should we respect a representation of a naked dead guy on the cross to begin with?

I don't like it. It's morbid and weird.

Nov 05 07 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Not every photographer fits with all models and vice versa.  To each their own.  Images posted here on MM are just samples of work, posted to attract attention and viewing on this site, comments, crtiques, additional work.  Some are friggin exceptional, others, eh...  Would I be offended if someone decided not to shoot with me because of one image in my port?  No, that's their choice.  Personally, I would find it tough to rule out a model because of just one image in his/her port though...

Nov 05 07 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

millimeter

Massapequa, New York, US

BTW, this thread has probably done more for this photo getting seen, than anything else you could have done. So as much as it "offended" you. You have become it's best advocate and agent.

Nov 05 07 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Five by Five

Gurnee, Illinois, US

Just for the sake of argument, I'll say that her turning the photographer down and stating the reasons rather rationally is the LEAST of his concerns when it comes to dissenting opinion.
Might have been a better way to handle it, but considering the imagery/controversy that the shot was intended to provoke, it's really not bad at all.
If the photographer is offended even enough to take down the comment, he should probably choose his projects better.

Nov 05 07 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Idol Images

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

Lol...where is that damn edit button when you need it....where you could go and say in the OP that you were wrong to post that comment.... cause i think it got lost in the rest of the posts and people aren't able to catch it. 

I'm not sure what you were wanting to do with the photographer...but if it was something very creative...he looks like someone decent to work with...but as far as his work in general...i was not that impressed except with his concepts.   

The image in question....I'm pretty sure was photoshopped...so if you were offended because of the image itself then that's your call, but if you're offended because you think it was done IN a church (as you mentioned you're not sure if the church was aware of it)  then don't be too upset as the the people and possibly the crucifix were photoshopped in. 

I am curious as to why you wouldn't work with someone based on that image if you're not a religious person anyway.    And you could always tell the photographer that you're not willing to do anything along those lines.

Digital Artist

uysdf

Hickory, Mississippi, US

Fotticelli wrote:

Why should we respect a representation of a naked dead guy on the cross to begin with?

I don't like it. It's morbid and weird.

I'm stopping here......I so donot want this to turn into a religious thread as I see this is where its going sooooo

who wants cheesecake smile

Photographer

A Traveler

Phoenix1 wrote:
is the image..... I think it was just disrespectful to the church

Some of the greatest art has been created to challenge religion.

Nov 05 07 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

A Traveler

millimeter wrote:

agreed, tacky.

Nov 05 07 03:57 pm Link

Digital Artist

uysdf

Hickory, Mississippi, US

millimeter wrote:
BTW, this thread has probably done more for this photo getting seen, than anything else you could have done. So as much as it "offended" you. You have become it's best advocate and agent.

thanks smile

I think that was the photographers intent tho - to stir up controversy with the image.....

Nov 05 07 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Phoenix1 wrote:
Alright I just turned down a photographer who wanted to shoot with me based on an image in his port..... I did not reply to his message but rather commented on the image ....this is what i said

I appreciate the interest to shoot with me....but I will have to turn it down based on this image....I find it very humiliating and disrespectful to the church and the christian faith...... *notate* I'm not religious I have respect for every faith..... and have seen alot of "art" and have the highest respect for it.... but I dont see this as art.... I just see it as disrespectful and I'm guessing the church was not aware of this.

Now I'm not really religious but its just a RESPECT THING..... I found the image very degrading and humiliating......what do you think.....

can I post a link to the image.... i'm not sure I dont want to get outed...

Why is the image humiliating and disrespectful?

Nov 05 07 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Anomie Studios wrote:

what if I found the image to be art and found your comment offensive?  Is it okay for me to leave remarks about you?  Art is allowed to be offensive, personally I find your outrage more rediculous than what you have described in the photograph.  Get over it, there are many bigger issues to tackle. The church has slaughtered millions of people over the history of time yet you find two nude women in a church offensive.  If  you don't want to work with him that is your choice, if he wishes to shoot a monk bending over a nun in a church over the baptismal fountain so be it.  Don't work together, live and let live.

Well, as you've seen here - so called "Christians" have a huge problem most of the time with "Live and let live"...

For some reason it is always the "others" who should conform to "their" wy of living - and their "beliefs'...

And along the way they lose track of what what Christianity is all about... especially those who are of another faith than Christianity...

So, here are three images that some say are "religious" - and some say it's "art" - and some say they are both - how offensive are these to the OP one may ask...

https://christerart.com/slideshow3/show_1004.jpg

https://christerart.com/slideshow3/show_1020.jpg

https://christerart.com/slideshow3/show_1111.jpg

Christer

Nov 05 07 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

dude have you read the whole thread....I simply stated my opinion.... again i'll say

I WAS WRONG TO LEAVE A BAD COMMENT ON HIS IMAGE......

Photographer

millimeter

Massapequa, New York, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

it's not really a loss....I dont do this for a living..it's a hobby... if I dont want to shoot with him because of his image then its my choice

I meant your loss in a larger way than money. I celebrate the people of associate with for their differences, not their like-mindedness.

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

I have a question....

erm haven't MANY people been crucified? I though crucifixion was a common method of punishment at that time?

Why do all crucifixions have to do with jesus?

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

I'm stopping here......I so donot want this to turn into a religious thread as I see this is where its going sooooo

who wants cheesecake smile

Chicken!

Nov 05 07 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Phoenix1 wrote:

How can it *not* turn into a religious thread the way you phrased your posts? "Outrage" was just one of your comments...

Christer

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

ChristerArt wrote:
No, that is copyright infringement...

Actually, it's not because it would probably fall within the guidelines of the "fair use" doctorine.

US Copyright office wrote:
Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered “fair,” such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

[/ threadjack]

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

Phoenix1 wrote:

darn...that sucks....ok i'll describe it

The image you're describing, is one that is designed to create "controversy", and is not intended to display one's photographic talents.  I'm reminded of the Madonna that was sculpted out of elephant dung, and it created news world wide, even thought the sculpture was not anything that Michelangelo would call "art".  Had the artist made the scultpure out of clay, no one would have ever noticed his work.

I see weak photographers do that all the time, by taking nudes in churches, and then trying to pass the photo off as a "WOW!" photo.  So far, I've never been impressed, or seen a photo of a nude taken in a church, that I would even call, "just ok". 

Still, I admire your beliefs and that you stand up for what you believe in.  Best of luck.  And yes, I would love to shoot with you, should I ever travel up your way.

Photographer

Eric Haywood

Phoenix1 wrote:

thanks smile

I think that was the photographers intent tho - to stir up controversy with the image.....

You seem to have done it for him.

Nov 05 07 04:01 pm Link