Forums > Photography Talk > Carl Zeiss for Nikon+Canon

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0512/05122 … lenses.asp

Who would dump money into new lens b/c of the very important fact that sensor crops directly effect lens refinement limits for image quality??

Dec 21 05 09:19 am Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

If they can get as good as the high end nikkor/canon L at a lower price I'm all for it. Maybe it would drive the price down on some of this glass. 1700.00 on a 70-200mm 2.8 IS L is just insane.

Dec 21 05 09:30 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

Who would dump money into new lens b/c of the very important fact that sensor crops directly effect lens refinement limits for image quality?

I'm not exactly replacing Nikon AF-D glass with the rollout of "tuned" Dx lenses (of which I own two zooms), but I'd give a serious look to unbelievably high fidelity (I'm judging by their binoculars) Zeiss glass in the Dx and full 35mm AF formats.

I have yet to see a discussion of "personality" in glass and preferences associated with it.  I have an old AI-class Tokina 135mm/2.8, which I regard as a pretty good portrait lens and partially for its lack of coating (no warmth added; I am uncertain about its use on the D2x re. optical characteristics, but that may be getting too minute for informal discussion).

--Jim

Dec 21 05 10:00 am Link

Photographer

creagency

Englewood, New Jersey, US

I've been using Zeiss for many years and use them almost exclusively. 

They have excellent sharpness - nearly unparalelled in actual resolution tests (can find on the Net) but also wonderful warmth and character. 

It is a crucial consideration for me in looking at digital SLRs - the ability to take my lenses with me.  many say it doesn't matter and that new lenses are even far more capable.  but people who have been using Zeiss have a hard time letting go or considering other, unless it is to another similar quality glass company such as Schneider, Sinar, etc.

But I also have to admit that not every one of their lenses is perfect and with today's focus on brand over quality, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with products for the masses that are not their best. 

I have 2 50mm lenses, a 1.4 and 1.7   The 1.4 is far far sharper.

Dec 21 05 10:41 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands

I'd love to use Carl Zeiss lenses again. They beat Canon and Nikon hands down in terms of color rendition and contrast. Seems the deal is just with Nikon, though, and I'm not sure I'm ready to dump my Canons to buy into Zeiss lenses.

Dec 21 05 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Simon Gerzina

Brooklyn, New York, US

ADGibson wrote:
If they can get as good as the high end nikkor/canon L at a lower price I'm all for it. Maybe it would drive the price down on some of this glass. 1700.00 on a 70-200mm 2.8 IS L is just insane.

Honestly, I'd expect Zeiss lenses to potentially be HIGHER quality and HIGHER price than the lenses you're comparing them to.  Look at their offerings for Hasselblad or Contax systems, for instance, and you'll see some of the sharpest and crispest lenses around that come at a premium price.

Assuming AF quality was in the same ballpark, I'd have no reservations about using Zeiss lenses on a Nikon body in the studio for fashion or portraiture, but I'd probably stick with Nikon glass for times where maintaining full in-camera metering compatibility and the fastest AF available were bigger selling points.

Dec 21 05 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

ADGibson wrote:

Have you looked at the costs of Zeiss glass? Look at the cost of Hassy lenses..if anything they will make Nikon glass look like a bargain. Either that or they will be just off brand lenses trading on the name like in the Sony PS cameras

Dec 21 05 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Got a Carl Zeiss 100mm for my Horseman VH-R and the first images seem critically sharp with resolution equal to grain size or better, but with the Sheimpfluging, my first time under a hood in a long time, and it being stopped to f22, it's hard to tell.  Covers 6x9 with room for movements.

But I know what you're saying about bitty sensors using only part of the coverage.  I'm not sure that's exactly right though.  The sensors on the chip cover less area, but the effective granularity isn't as fine as slow film resolution either, so I think digital lenses don't have to be as good as lenses for film.

When you get right down to it, lens resolution isn't as important as lens contrast in determining the subjective qualities of an image.

-Don

Now there are the Zeiss, Jena, lenses that were made in East Germany after the war, and I'm not sure how their quality rates.  Do I have that right?  Jena?

Dec 22 05 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Nate Kalushner

Los Angeles, California, US

for the record i know that lots of glass on the market (every sony product that has "ziess glass") is actually made by tamron. how do we know this isnt just clever marketing on ziess' part? they could be selling rebranded tamron lenses which we can already get at a very good price.

Dec 22 05 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

open aperture wrote:
how do we know this isnt just clever marketing on ziess' part?

Go on a pro photographer forum and wait to hear praise or profanity...

That, or rent one for a day and test it out yourself.

Dec 22 05 08:59 am Link

Photographer

commart

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

so I think digital lenses don't have to be as good as lenses for film

I am so not sure about this, but I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that individual sensors, however microscopic, exist in three dimensions (they have height), that there's a color filter on top through which light passes to process into intensity (number of photons) plus color data, that the physics involved in managing light from the center of the whole sensor unit to its outer edge differs quite from film, and, finally, the electro-chemical response to light has also been engineered differently from film's sensitive salts.  Chromatic abberation may be an issue in transitioning an old lense like my Tokina AI (manual/non-cpu) 135mm/2.8 to a packed digital platform like the D2x. 

In the end, "digital lenses" need to be evaluated in terms of their integration with specific digital imaging processes, and for that probably have to have outstanding traditional characteristics where clarity, contrast, and resolution are concerned as well as meet standards for comparatively arcane variables or interpretations of traditional ones.

Dec 22 05 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Greg Rice

Saint Peters, Missouri, US

I saw an artical on fred miranda forums how to use zeiss glass on a 5d but you have to take a dremel to the mirror OUCH

Dec 22 05 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Fireflyfotography

Las Colinas, Panamá, Panama

commart wrote:

so I think digital lenses don't have to be as good as lenses for film

You need to reverse that statement

Dec 22 05 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

If I could use that zeiss lens on both a nikon digital and a nikon F4 or 5 or 6 or etc....then I would absolutely consider using Nikon once my minolta film cameras bit the big bucket.   I like the retro workings of minolta 5d 7d...but I also like being able to use the same glass on film cameras. 

I really like both leica and zeiss glass.

Dec 22 05 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Huntsville Car Scene

Huntsville, Alabama, US

open aperture wrote:
for the record i know that lots of glass on the market (every sony product that has "ziess glass") is actually made by tamron. how do we know this isnt just clever marketing on ziess' part? they could be selling rebranded tamron lenses which we can already get at a very good price.

This is a valid point.  The Ziess lenses on the Sony cameras don't correspond with the Ziess reputation.  The Lieca lens on my Panasonic is actually made in Japan to Lieca specs, so it's not a true Lieca either.

Dec 22 05 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

John Paul

Schenectady, New York, US

Well, I was thinking about picking up a 21mm Contax for my commercial work..so, count me in..

JP

Dec 22 05 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Got a Carl Zeiss 100mm for my Horseman VH-R and the first images seem critically sharp with resolution equal to grain size or better, but with the Sheimpfluging, my first time under a hood in a long time, and it being stopped to f22, it's hard to tell.  Covers 6x9 with room for movements.

But I know what you're saying about bitty sensors using only part of the coverage.  I'm not sure that's exactly right though.  The sensors on the chip cover less area, but the effective granularity isn't as fine as slow film resolution either, so I think digital lenses don't have to be as good as lenses for film.

When you get right down to it, lens resolution isn't as important as lens contrast in determining the subjective qualities of an image.

-Don

Now there are the Zeiss, Jena, lenses that were made in East Germany after the war, and I'm not sure how their quality rates.  Do I have that right?  Jena?

Yep. From the same original Carl Zeiss, what was left of it behind the Iron Curtain. In addition to all the usual optical stuff (camera lenses, glasses, binoculars, etc) they were the ones the Soviet Army turned to for precision military optical stuff. If I remember correctly (this is an aside) it was the Carl Zeiss company that innovated optical coatings in the 1930s for the German military, specifically for airplane gunsights to increase accuracy in hazy European weather. It was top-secret technology until after the war.

If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I held a Kiev) the lenses for the Kiev were Carl Zeiss Jena using the same lens formulae (80mm f2.8 Planar, 150mm f4Sonnar, etc) as the Zeiss lenses for Hasselblad, albeit with different coatings and construction.

Dec 23 05 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

KM von Seidl wrote:
If I could use that zeiss lens on both a nikon digital and a nikon F4 or 5 or 6 or etc....then I would absolutely consider using Nikon once my minolta film cameras bit the big bucket.   I like the retro workings of minolta 5d 7d...but I also like being able to use the same glass on film cameras. 

I really like both leica and zeiss glass.

Ditto. I don't own any Leica glass (though it's superb, with a different, "brighter" but less "lush" feel), but I love it. I have lots of Zeiss glass, for 3 different Contax systems and Hasselblad, and I love every single one of them. The 45mm f2 Planar for the Contax G system is probably the single best camera lens I've ever used, in my case mounted on a camera body that's simultaneously great and highly flawed (the G1).

Regarding the point another poster made, Zeiss is now selling their brand name and putting it on a lot of consumer products (even phone cams), and the quality is generally not the Carl Zeiss I know and love. I just bought my wife a digital camcorder by Sony with a Zeiss lens, which was clearly inferior in every image quality category to a competitive Canon product (though that's not exclusively due to the lens) but a bit cheaper and my wife liked the design, ergo it's sitting underneath our Christmas tree as we speak. And I've neither owned nor used a single Canon lens that's as good as any of my Zeiss lenses for Contax or Hasselblad. Not one.

Dec 23 05 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

The Zeiss glass on my Hasselblad is top notch.  My Nikon lenses are good; my Zeiss lenses are much better, even accounting for the larger negative.  The 150mm is of course legendary, 16x20 prints are razor sharp, and with excellent tonal range and contrast.

Price... depends.  Zeiss just came out with Leica M-mount lenses (recently tested one but haven't put a magnifier on the negs yet), and the wide angles are a bargain compared to Leica lenses of the same focal length (about half the price new).  But I'd expect quality Zeiss glass to probably be priced above all but the more specialized Nikon optics.  Still, it just might be enough to make me keep my Nikon bodies.

Edit:  Just put a 7x magnifier on two negs I shot with a Zeiss 25mm f/2.8 Biogon on a Leica M body, priced approx. $1200 US if I remember correctly... handheld in poor light.  I can read every word on the catalog page on the camera store counter, and on the sales labels on the glass behind the counter.  Looks promising.

Dec 23 05 11:35 pm Link

Photographer

TimothyH

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Well... it's official now. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06011 … snikon.asp also be sure to read the interview (link at top of the dpreview page) with the Zeiss execs. They say the pricing will be competitive with existing F-mount lenses. I'm not a Nikon guy, but if I was-I'd be very interested in the f/1.4 85mm ZF. To get a pro-grade 85mm from Canon you need to spend $1500 on the f/1.2L and I assume a Zeiss 85mm would be of similar or better quality.

-TMH

Jan 22 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Another interesting tidbit is an article on the ZI website concerning the future of film where they claim to have talked to an executive from Fuji and another from Kodak.  "Both gentlemen are confident that their companies will continue to supply film – usable in the ZI camera and others – for decades to come."

Decades?

-Dave

Jan 22 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

ADGibson wrote:

There's hardly a 35mm Zeiss lens that doesn't blow most L glass out of the water. By lens standards (which are generally close enough to split hairs, technically) it's not even that close. And yes, Canon L glass is rediculously overpriced. I shoot Zeiss in several formats (35mm on Contax cameras, both SLR and rangefinder, 645, and 6x6 on Hasselblad), and there's very little in the world that compares. There's also not only a technical MTF curve difference, there's also an aesthetic difference to the feel of a Zeiss rendering, most especially with the Zeiss Planar and Makro-Planar lenses.

The problem is that using an adaptor is problematic. Each lens is calibrated for a specific mount, for the lens flange to sit a precise distance from the film/sensor plane, and using an adaptor on another body kinda throws that out the window. When I get a 5D I will very likely get myself a Contax MM adaptor so I can throw my Zeiss glass for my Contax 35mm on there, but that's not to say that those lenses made for Contax MM mount will outperform the Canons on a Canon EF mount. It's sad, but the best quality possible on the lens mount is to buy a few more Canon primes.

Then again, with Kyocera/Yashica giving up on Contax, and Zeiss not having found a suitor as yet (we'll see about how things work out with Sony but I'm not terribly optimistic), Zeiss just might start making Planars and Sonnars etc for Canon and Nikon mounts eventually.

Jan 22 06 10:47 pm Link