Forums > Photography Talk > Beauty Photography - How do you shoot it?

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

WORD.  Some of the best advice given on the subject.

Vitaly Druchinin wrote:
There is no hard rule to how to light beauty other than making it look beautiful smile Most shots are lit with a beauty dish or similar small semi-hard directional light source. You can learn alot on how the lights were setup just by studying the catch lights in the images.

Then, cast the best skinned models you can find.

Hire the best MUA you can find that has similar work in her portfolio as you are trying to produce.

Hire a pro retoucher who understands lighting and facial structure. One that doesn't blur and can retain natural looking skin with pores visible.

Study your finished results againsts industry's see what's different, what can be improved. Then go and shoot again and again and again.

Vitaly Druchinin

Dec 04 07 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Kunststuerze

Freiburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

Kent Johnson Photograph wrote:
Its got very little to do with pixel counts and I agree that DSLR's can be scary sharp.

Medium & Large format cameras have a completely different look and feel to their output to small cameras. They always have, and while medium and large format backs may have fallen behind as the much larger DSLR market marched steadily ahead; the days of falling behind are clearly over. Medium and Large format is back with its own unique characteristics and it has always been those unique characteristics that have made those formats the preferred choice for beauty work and high end fashion.

Thankx for that statement!

Dec 04 07 02:39 am Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Los Angeles, California, US

i don't know what the best way to shoot beauty is.  i don't mind sharing what i do when i shoot beauty.  so i hope this is of some help.

i shoot with a 5D.  if i'm on a job that has the budget for it, i will rent a phase back/H1 or H2.  i never felt the need to go with a 1ds body.  if i need a huge file, i would much rather go with a phase anyway.  the difference between 13mp and 16 or 17mp is not worth it for me.  but i did want a full frame body.  i have never had problems with size output issues.  i've seen my work blown up beyond 30 x 40 -- i've seen a poster almost 10ft on the long end of two of my shots with the 5D and it looked great.  one of my clients will be doing a poster on their store windows this holiday shot with the 5 and i look forward to seeing that.  i don't plan on upgrading to the mkIII -- i am waiting for the 5D replacement.

here is a fairly recent beauty test i did, using the 5D and the 180 macro L 3.5

first link is to the raw shot, and the second is to the final retouch.  i uploaded it to 1/2 size, but it's still like 300kb or more, plus it's a crop of the full frame, no resize or interpolation.

http://seanarmenta.com/samples/armenta_071109_raw.jpg

http://seanarmenta.com/samples/armenta_071109.jpg

this is what i consider a basic beauty retouch -- if for a campaign or editorial, i will go more 'polished' with it using dodge and burn et al.  if there is budget, i will outsource to a pro retoucher because they would do a better job than i anyhow.

lighting -- beauty dish/grid/diffusion for key, two heads behind her for edgelight.

shot into capture one and processed in capture one

retouch -- healing brush, clone, curves, eyes and teeth...eyelashes were enhanced.  i didn't even bother with the strays because the look of the final image didn't call for it.  i finished the retouch in maybe an hour, hour and a half.

i shot this test for a makeup artist for her book -- here is the full shot:  https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=4884675

i will never use a softbox as a key to shoot beauty.  i don't like using softboxes at all for key lighting on people.  90% of the time i use open indirect lighting sources -- beauty dish or silver umbrella.  i use both up front as well.  sometimes it will be a ringflash.  but that's it.  the quality of light when it comes to soft vs hard is dependent on the final look you are trying to achieve.  not everything is shot with soft light.  in fact, it's a combination of both. 

my lens choice for beauty is the 180, but i have shot beauty with the 85.  in fact i just shot some yesterday with kinos.  looked great.  kinos are great for beauty because you can position them super close and have a really nice falloff.  i will never shoot beauty with a zoom lens.

makeup and hair are key for beauty.  i love retouching but i HATE fixing mistakes and i HATE cloning out strays.  i am hard on my artists and stylists for this -- ask any one of them.  the most important skill i look for in a makeup artist is blending.  i also need to see if they can pull of a basic clean look, which is ironically a difficult look to do properly. 

models -- i could care less if they had pristine skin or not.  i am looking for the right look.  if a girl had the right look for the job, i would not pass her up simply because she had less than perfect skin.  that is silly to me -- that's what retouch is for.  which is not to say i am not picky about the girls i shoot beauty with -- i just won't let skin quality come between the right look.

btw -- someone mentioned pre-photoshop what did they do?   there were retouching programs/systems prior to photoshop - the only thing that photoshop did was bring it to the mainstream and to the desktop.

how much is too much retouch?  for me it's when the skin has no more texture and when it just looks muddy.  but this is personal preference i suppose.

Dec 04 07 02:47 am Link

Photographer

Robert Beynard

Bayside, New York, US

Its got very little to do with pixel counts and I agree that DSLR's can be scary sharp.

Medium & Large format cameras have a completely different look and feel to their output to small cameras. They always have, and while medium and large format backs may have fallen behind as the much larger DSLR market marched steadily ahead; the days of falling behind are clearly over. Medium and Large format is back with its own unique characteristics and it has always been those unique characteristics that have made those formats the preferred choice for beauty work and high end fashion.

I have had this discussion with stephen before and he has argued that there is a difference only not what most think,  its a perspective difference, to frame the same shot you have to use a lens of significantly different optical characteristics which changes the perception of the image, its most apparent when he shoyuld be a few shots shot with a 300mm lens on a FF35 and than a very close framing of the same shot with a 4x5 and 1000mm lens, you could not get close enough with the 300 really, the 4x5 and 1000mm was literally 5 feet and it was not a full super tight shot, so you have a difference there thats true.

But that does not negate the fact that the images can be produced from smaller film and smaller chip digital, its more lighting, MU/H, Model, and skilled photographer and retoucher that is needed.  Format will not be limited.  VS was often shot on the original 1ds by russel james, and that was a 11mp ff digital.

Dec 04 07 02:50 am Link

Photographer

GGDeluxe

Vitaly Druchinin wrote:

Actualy, medium or large format is not needed at all and in fact is chosen solely on the size output required - the larger the print the larger the file/negative needed to produce the output. Beautiful beauty images can be created with a simple run of the mill camera even a point and shoot, provided all the other factors are met like model, makeup, lighting and retouching.

Here are some shots captured with a Nikon D70 for example:

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050601/14/429e111370501_m.jpg

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050601/14/429e0f952bf3a_m.jpg

https://img2.modelmayhem.com/050601/14/429e0f45aae81_m.jpg

Vitaly Druchinin

Vitaly

Post that again in all of the D3/1Ds Mk III Masturbation threads.

I dare you..

Great work

GG

Dec 04 07 02:54 am Link

Photographer

Kent Johnson Photograph

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Robert Beynard wrote:

I have had this discussion with stephen before and he has argued that there is a difference only not what most think,  its a perspective difference, to frame the same shot you have to use a lens of significantly different optical characteristics which changes the perception of the image, its most apparent when he shoyuld be a few shots shot with a 300mm lens on a FF35 and than a very close framing of the same shot with a 4x5 and 1000mm lens, you could not get close enough with the 300 really, the 4x5 and 1000mm was literally 5 feet and it was not a full super tight shot, so you have a difference there thats true.

But that does not negate the fact that the images can be produced from smaller film and smaller chip digital, its more lighting, MU/H, Model, and skilled photographer and retoucher that is needed.  Format will not be limited.  VS was often shot on the original 1ds by russel james, and that was a 11mp ff digital.

So in the end we appear to agree...

I like Stephen's work but he is just one photographer (with his own way of working) by the way. Albeit a very very good one...

Dec 04 07 05:00 am Link

Photographer

Gone Til Novus-ember

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sean Armenta wrote:
i don't know what the best way to shoot beauty is.  i don't mind sharing what i do when i shoot beauty.  so i hope this is of some help.

i shoot with a 5D.  if i'm on a job that has the budget for it, i will rent a phase back/H1 or H2.  i never felt the need to go with a 1ds body.  if i need a huge file, i would much rather go with a phase anyway.  the difference between 13mp and 16 or 17mp is not worth it for me.  but i did want a full frame body.  i have never had problems with size output issues.  i've seen my work blown up beyond 30 x 40 -- i've seen a poster almost 10ft on the long end of two of my shots with the 5D and it looked great.  one of my clients will be doing a poster on their store windows this holiday shot with the 5 and i look forward to seeing that.  i don't plan on upgrading to the mkIII -- i am waiting for the 5D replacement.

first link is to the raw shot, and the second is to the final retouch.  i uploaded it to 1/2 size, but it's still like 300kb or more, plus it's a crop of the full frame, no resize or interpolation.

this is what i consider a basic beauty retouch -- if for a campaign or editorial, i will go more 'polished' with it using dodge and burn et al.  if there is budget, i will outsource to a pro retoucher because they would do a better job than i anyhow.

lighting -- beauty dish/grid/diffusion for key, two heads behind her for edgelight.

retouch -- healing brush, clone, curves, eyes and teeth...eyelashes were enhanced.  i didn't even bother with the strays because the look of the final image didn't call for it.  i finished the retouch in maybe an hour, hour and a half.

i shot this test for a makeup artist for her book -- here is the full shot:  https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=4884675

i will never use a softbox as a key to shoot beauty.  i don't like using softboxes at all for key lighting on people.  90% of the time i use open indirect lighting sources -- beauty dish or silver umbrella.  i use both up front as well.  sometimes it will be a ringflash.  but that's it.  the quality of light when it comes to soft vs hard is dependent on the final look you are trying to achieve.  not everything is shot with soft light.  in fact, it's a combination of both. 

my lens choice for beauty is the 180, but i have shot beauty with the 85.  in fact i just shot some yesterday with kinos.  looked great.  kinos are great for beauty because you can position them super close and have a really nice falloff.  i will never shoot beauty with a zoom lens.

makeup and hair are key for beauty.  i love retouching but i HATE fixing mistakes and i HATE cloning out strays.  i am hard on my artists and stylists for this -- ask any one of them.  the most important skill i look for in a makeup artist is blending.  i also need to see if they can pull of a basic clean look, which is ironically a difficult look to do properly. 

models -- i could care less if they had pristine skin or not.  i am looking for the right look.  if a girl had the right look for the job, i would not pass her up simply because she had less than perfect skin.  that is silly to me -- that's what retouch is for.  which is not to say i am not picky about the girls i shoot beauty with -- i just won't let skin quality come between the right look.

btw -- someone mentioned pre-photoshop what did they do?   there were retouching programs/systems prior to photoshop - the only thing that photoshop did was bring it to the mainstream and to the desktop.

how much is too much retouch?  for me it's when the skin has no more texture and when it just looks muddy.  but this is personal preference i suppose.

QFT.

I shoot beauty much the same way.  Umbrella's, ring flash etc.  Never a softbox.  Hair and make up being the key. 

Love your stuff man.  But you know this Seantra Magnus.

Dec 04 07 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
All of Katrinne Eismann's books are fantastic. Welcome to Oz by Vincent Versace is also fantastic (though I'm not smart, patient or talented enough to incorporate his processes).

I'll second Katrinne's books! I learned more from her two books then I did from the other 6 PS books I bought!

Dec 04 07 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Luis Aragon

Washington, District of Columbia, US

sean is the man to learn from...one of the best IMO. some of the best aren't willing to share info but that just proves he's a stand up guy.

...ok man...that will be $100 and i take paypal.

Sean Armenta wrote:

Dec 04 07 10:49 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

Robert Beynard wrote:

When most MM members will think it looks great you went too far.

Ha ha ha! I almost spit my coffee all over the key board!

Dec 04 07 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

Sean Armenta wrote:

Thanks for posting before and after like that! Your work is beautiful!

Dec 04 07 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Old Ska Punk

Crivitz, Wisconsin, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:

Thank you Henri.  Here's my contribution with a range of skin colors and lighting conditions.

Octodome overhead, reflector under chin, two small softboxes behind for separation, and one gridded spot on black seamless.

https://www.brucetalbot.com/mm/beauty3.jpg

Medium softbox high and tight to model. Backlight from bounce off white wall.

https://www.brucetalbot.com/mm/beauty1.jpg

Open shade, available light only. (Currently running in New Beauty Magazine)

https://www.brucetalbot.com/mm/beauty2.jpg

bt

Awesome work (as always).

Thanks for the information.

Dec 04 07 11:02 am Link

Photographer

K -- O

Boonsboro, Maryland, US

Novusdamus wrote:
I shoot beauty much the same way...

Bruce Talbot wrote:
I've begun a beauty...
bt

Sean Armenta wrote:
i don't know what the best way to shoot beauty is....

IMHO, these are the best three responses yet. 

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond to the thread!

Dec 04 07 11:07 am Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

thanks, sean.

btw for nikon users, any recommendations?

Dec 04 07 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Christos

Scottsdale, Arizona, US

Like Sean, I never use Soft light as my Key.... I have had tremendous results with a Beauty dish with Grid and Tri-reflectors. 2 light strips in the rear for Hair lights.

Shot with 180mm Macro.

https://modelmayhm-7.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071126/12/474b0613b7db0.jpg

Christos

Dec 04 07 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Henri3

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:

Thank you Henri.  Here's my contribution with a range of skin colors and lighting conditions.

Octodome overhead, reflector under chin, two small softboxes behind for separation, and one gridded spot on black seamless.

bt

Black models seem to love what I do for them, but this stuff makes me wanna sell my gear and take up another vocation, as it's just so rich with color & damn near everything.....
I suspect Bruce made a contract with the devil, to be this good...where do I sign?

Dec 04 07 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Well, there's a lot of factors and some of the images you posted are a more fashiony beauty (higher contrast).

But beauty is often based upon wider, more gradual (specular -> mid-tone and shadow -> midtone) transitions, as well as lower contrast.
Also, particularly striking models play a big part.
and yes, talented post.

John

Dec 04 07 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Vitaly Druchinin

Mukilteo, Washington, US

I guess I'll just have to do a beauty shoot with a point and shoot to prove my point then.

Vitaly Druchinin

Dec 05 07 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

Chip Willis

Columbus, Georgia, US

A couple of comments and observations I have noted ( Excellent advise by BT, Sean and others as well ).

Not much has been mentioned about "The right girl".
A pretty face might be the wrong face for Beauty, and not every girl can pull this off. The models look must make visual sense with the style of beauty shot being done. You can take some offbeat models and do some funky beauty or you can use the typical beauty/commercial girl and do a different flavor of beauty, but she has to make sense for the shot.

I see way too many "America's Next Top Model" tries in portfolios by people who simply think, ok, I have a camera, a girl and a makeup artist. Most of the time this simply does not work, until the photographer has an understanding of what exactly he is trying to convey. All the contents don' t necessarily make Lemonade.

The choices of models, hair, and makeup artists are much more important than the technical shit people keep getting their dicks all bent out of shape over. The camera simply isn't that important as to the vision, and execution of a concept. I bet there are people who could use a simple point and shoot and come up with stunning beauty shots. Sure, some things make it easier.

In order to shoot good beauty the photographer and his assembled team must have studied and understand what that means and many simply never get that.

Some do and do marvels.

And finally, yes.... retouching is very important. If you can't do it yourself, how about hiring someone who does? I am not talking about all the people who have Photoshop and 6 months experience.

This can also easily be summed up as Garbage in, Garbage out.
The trash can ( camera ) isn't the important piece.

Lastly, when people decide to shoot their own brand of beauty, who says it has to meet the standard definitions?

PS. I saw someone mention something about soft light. Someone else mentioned harsh light.  The type of light used never matters as much as HOW it is used. I hate softboxes for instance. Doesn't mean I havent seen images that blew me away using them. Same thing with about any lighting method. It isn't what, it is HOW.

Dec 05 07 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Smith Jan

Miami Beach, Florida, US

The list of technical aspects is endless and always open to debate.  Instead focus on your preferred style and to your strengths, then critique your work and aquire the skills you think you need.

In this sense composition and proper use of shadow are key--maybe even more than make-up.  Think of the message you want to convey, imagine the look of the model and poses and make-up that would reinforce this.

Dec 05 07 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

This is like asking 'How do you win the Indy 500'?

smile

Dec 05 07 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

Ok have fun.

Look I am all for fuck the equipment but we are talking about the pictures the OP posted. If your shots you posted are examples that it can be done... Well I rest my case.

Go and take a look at page 1 top of the page, all the shots and come back here and say

"you can shoot that with a DSLR"

If you do you're just blind.

i have seen vitalli's images posted at one of the larger seattle camera stores at about 18x24 or so and they look fantastic, i think that you should really look at his website before you say the things that you are saying, he is very talented and his work resembles the op's reference as close as anything that i have seen here. look at his linked website

Dec 06 07 12:57 am Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Dec 06 07 01:51 am Link

Photographer

JJD Productions

Abbeville, Alabama, US

Dec 06 07 01:52 am Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

Sean Armenta wrote:
gregory -- are these finished images?  you've gone through the retouch already?  or are these off the camera?

Hi Sean.  Ha!  Well I guess that answers my question of did I retouch them enough. :-)  These are "finished" images from my first beauty tests.  I did do some post work but not that much.  I wasn't sure how far to go.

Gregory
www.gregorystorm.com

Dec 06 07 02:42 am Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:

bt

BT - Good post and images.  How much of those three images was post work?  Do you do your own post work or do you send out?

Gregory
www.gregorystorm.com

Dec 06 07 02:49 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Gregory Storm wrote:
BT - Good post and images.  How much of those three images was post work?  Do you do your own post work or do you send out?

Gregory
www.gregorystorm.com

Thanks. Yes I do my own retouching. 

As Chip mentioned above, choosing the right "girl" will vastly affect where the image can evolve and how much work it will take to get there. Her look and ability to impart emotion into the image sets the visual foundation you'll need to build upon. Once she's selected, knowing why her likeness will be seen, by whom, and to what effect, will guide you to a destination. Those are all pre-shoot decisions, yet I'll envision a finished image before picking up a camera.

Below I've posted the untouched jpg preview along with a finished raw capture to answer your post work question. It's great skin, clean lighting (in this case soft) and very little make up (upper lashes, a hint of mascara and gloss on lips) that produces a great shot to start with. Post work consumed about an hour before the file was finished, ready for publication.

https://www.brucetalbot.com/mm/beauty.jpg

bt

Dec 06 07 04:48 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

*waves at BT*

When do you hang up your cape for the evening? big_smile

Dec 06 07 05:08 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

LADY SWEET FACE wrote:
*waves at BT*

When do you hang up your cape for the evening? big_smile

How do 'lil lady. smile

It's usually an hour or two before breakfast  > > > >  NYC time.

bt

Dec 06 07 05:15 am Link

Photographer

Nadirah B

Bruce Talbot wrote:
How do 'lil lady. smile

It's usually an hour or two before breakfast  > > > >  NYC time.

bt

lol!! You're crazy! Who am I to say anything, it's 2am lol!

Dec 06 07 05:19 am Link

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Bruce, where did you get that filter?  Was it the one advertised extensively on this site?  I love the way you worked that shot.  Simple, clean and beautiful.

Dec 06 07 05:24 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

GDS Photos wrote:
Bruce, where did you get that filter?  Was it the one advertised extensively on this site?  I love the way you worked that shot.  Simple, clean and beautiful.

Filter?  What is filter?  I know not this filter thou speaks of.  smile

bt

Dec 06 07 06:01 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

It Takes Teamwork: Many of the beauty shots you see today are created like this...Look at the steps involved...(Dont Miss Any!)

- Budget Director: $15,000 is the max budget for this shot

- Advertising manager:  Shot needs to be "Like This" - Heres the business goal.

- Art Director: Which of these 7 test layouts does everybody like the best?

- Wardrobe Director:  Here are 5 costumes that will look great!  Choose one.

- Casting Director:  We tested 11 girls...looks like girls 2 and 9 have great skin pores

- Testing Photographer:  We tested these 4 concepts out...which look best to you?

- Photographer:  They hired me because I invested $30,000 in a 37megapixel body

- Makeup Artist:  Best of 5 choices...she specializes in your product

- Lighting Assistant:  These 3 shots need 3 different kinds of lighting setups!

- Production Team:  We Like Shot 121 the best...wheres the sandwiches?

- Retoucher:  This is going to be a very long day!

- Graphics designer:  Here are 5 layouts using picture 121...which one should run?

- Printer:  This shot needs to be rebalanced because of the paper we are using

- You:  How did they do that?  How Do I Get Great Shots Like That?????

Sound Familiar?  Maybe there are even a few more steps I forgot!

It takes teamwork to win a football game...takes the same to advertise in Vogue!

Ray

Dec 06 07 08:41 am Link

Photographer

Coby Photography

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bruce Talbot wrote:

I'm playing around with my new hensel strobes, having lots of fun, and I would love to mount them overhead, but I currently don't have any means to get them in that position. What kind of stand or contraption do you use Bruce?

Dec 06 07 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

PunkHeart

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

It's all about sexy lips and the gaze of the eye's...everything else is secondary.

Dec 06 07 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Bruce Talbot wrote:

Coby Photography wrote:
I'm playing around with my new hensel strobes, having lots of fun, and I would love to mount them overhead, but I currently don't have any means to get them in that position. What kind of stand or contraption do you use Bruce?

For that shot it's a 12' Bogen/Manfrotto Stand w/wheels and a Bogen/Manfrotto 9' Heavy Duty Boom Arm. Additional weight was added to base of stand.  Note: I don't extend the stand or boom beyond 75% of it's available reach.

bt

Dec 06 07 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Howard Petrella

Seattle, Washington, US

This is a fascinating thread.  Many good responses.

I tend to think if Ellen Von Unwerth did a beauty shot it would differ considerably from Albert Watson, who would differ considerably from Peter Lindbergh, who would differ considerably from Steven Meisel, etc. etc. etc. etc.

I think you're really asking how do you take a mind bogglingly good photograph (beauty being the specific subdivision of mind bogglingly good photographs).

It's hard and it's a team effort and everything that goes into it makes it work.

My best advice is to start somewhere, compare it to something you love and figure out what's different.  Then do it again.  And again. And again.

The one thing that most photographs that aspire to greatness lack (if they lack anything at all) is great talent in front of the camera.  I've seen many excellent photographs here and elsewhere that make it almost to the finish line until you look at the model.  Then it falls to pieces.

So I guess my first step in creating an absolutely stunning beauty shot would be to find an absolutely stunning model.  World class.  Nothing less.  Otherwise you'll be disappointed with the results no matter how good her skin is or how good the makeup artist was or how good your lighting is.  It will be a good photograph, no doubt, but it won't compete with the examples you chose to show of what your goal is.

Sorry I wasn't able to give a specific recipe but I don't even shoot my own pictures the same way twice.  It's nice to try different things.  Something unexpected might work better than you ever imagined.

Dec 06 07 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

5th Floor Photography

New York, New York, US

I think MF does have that look and feel you're talking about..

I also think a skilled photographer/editor can do amazing things with a high end DSLR.

By the time a photographer is willing and or able to drop 10-30 grand on a camera, they are a usually working pro who has a wealth of information and the ability to use the digital back to its true potential.

The reason some Americas Next Top Model shoots aren't always all that is because some of those photographers are using the Hasselblad for the first time and are out of their element.

Even Tyra walked out with the Hassy and then switched to a Canon for the actual shoot in the last episode.

Yes I watch it.

Frank

Dec 06 07 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

5th Floor Photography

New York, New York, US

Bruce Talbot wrote:

bt

Bruce,

When using the 2 small soft boxes from behind how do you minimize the fine facial hair when back lighting?

thanks,
Frank

Dec 06 07 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Sam Tang

Novi, Michigan, US

Here's an article I wrote for Studio Photography Magazine on Beauty and Fashion Lighting. Hope it helps.

http://www.imaginginfo.com/print/Studio … ots/3$3045

Sam

www.SamTang.com

Dec 06 07 09:18 pm Link