Forums > Photography Talk > Beauty Photography - How do you shoot it?

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

Los Angeles, California, US

22in Speedotron Beauty Dish Gridded (silver) at models' rear, a 7inch gridded reflector on model's face.  Background 11 inch gridded and fill at camera's left large octobox
https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/DALLASJLOGAN/BRITTANY2.jpg

60 inch silver umbrella at camera's rear with a silver bounce card under model's face.
https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/DALLASJLOGAN/joejpt.jpg

Gridded 22in Speedotron BD (Silver)... On either side of model two medium sized softboxes...
https://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg63/DALLASJLOGAN/BRITTANY1.jpg

My attempt at beauty.

Mar 04 10 01:28 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm late to this thread. But to answer the OP question; first and foremost, find the attractive models. The rest is easy.

Mar 04 10 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

Timm wrote:

Awesome work (as always).

Thanks for the information.

love love love love love love love love love

Mar 04 10 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Rafael Telles

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Beach wrote:
the makeup artist/stylist is the most important element of good beauty photography

+1,000,000

Mar 04 10 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Sean Armenta wrote:
shooting it is only maybe halfway into it.

retouching plays the most important part.

I find this answer (and others like it) amazing.

Believe it or not, photographers used to capture images like these on film, with no retouching at all. Straight from transparency to separations.

MUA is VERY important. Lighting is critical. A gorgeous model with great skin is essential. Retouching is not.

Mar 04 10 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Vikrant Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

There are a lot of factors which play a role when you want to shoot a beauty shot of the quality you are looking for.
1. Model face should be great
2. Make up artist.
3. Sharp lens..
3a. Lighting, use Beauty dish, soft boxes with grids, eliminate any light spills through the use of fome cores, black bounce, and white reflectors.. try to use this technique it will give you great results, use one Soft box, place it in  top front of the model and use a  white reflector from underneath, try to get  f11 on the face and even out the lighting use two lagre black foam cores on the model right and left , you will great results... try it and then you can improvise on it more..
4. post production, Photoshop.

Mar 04 10 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Al Lock Photography wrote:
I find this answer (and others like it) amazing.

Believe it or not, photographers used to capture images like these on film, with no retouching at all. Straight from transparency to separations.

MUA is VERY important. Lighting is critical. A gorgeous model with great skin is essential. Retouching is not.

Then why does everyone do it, from lowly amateurs to high end pros to beauty / makeup campaigns?

Photoshop shouldn't take poor photos and make them good, but can take good photos and make them fantastic and perfect (to my eyes at least)!

The point is that to achieve the level expected by the market these days, lighting is critical, a good MUA is critical etc... but photoshop work is NOW also critical. There's no point in comparing yourself to a standard 10-20-30 years ago. Fashions and requirements change.

I've worked with models with near perfect skin, but even they don't meet the requirements of the market without at least some post work. Photoshop also gives you the ability to choose a model on more than just skin alone - if I have a model who can express in AMAZING ways but who has imperfect skin, or one with perfect skin who can express OK, I'll take the former.

Mar 05 10 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Julian W I L D E

Portland, Oregon, US

It all starts with a REAL Beautiful Girl...  -JULIAN

Mar 05 10 12:55 am Link

Photographer

Antonio Marcus

San Francisco, California, US

Julian Wilde Studio wrote:
It all starts with a REAL Beautiful Girl...  -JULIAN

I agree. It's hard to find the right face for beauty shots. For me at least. That's why my beauty book so small. A lot of failed beauty tests :-|

Mar 05 10 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Phil Drinkwater wrote:
Photoshop shouldn't take poor photos and make them good, but can take good photos and make them fantastic and perfect (to my eyes at least)!

I've worked with models with near perfect skin, but even they don't meet the requirements of the market without at least some post work. Photoshop also gives you the ability to choose a model on more than just skin alone - if I have a model who can express in AMAZING ways but who has imperfect skin, or one with perfect skin who can express OK, I'll take the former.

And you've made the point as to why it happens now.

It's cheaper. You can use models that require retouching. You can use photographers who don't light quite perfectly. You can use a makeup artist whose hand isn't quite as fine. And fix it all in Photoshop. Make that good shot great instead of getting the great shot in the first place. Because it is cheap to retouch today.

When Revlon was shooting their campaigns in the late 80s (those shots going straight to separation without retouching), they were hiring the very best models in the business because they had perfect skin and were great models. And the very best photographers, makeup artists, hair stylists, etc. Today, Cindy Crawford's mole would be retouched out.. then it was an integral part of her image. Yes, it could have been retouched out... would have cost more than the whole shoot to do so though. Today? Anybody can have perfect skin (at least in the photographs). When rarity drops, so does price.

Mar 05 10 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

And you've made the point as to why it happens now.

It's cheaper. You can use models that require retouching. You can use photographers who don't light quite perfectly. You can use a makeup artist whose hand isn't quite as fine. And fix it all in Photoshop. Make that good shot great instead of getting the great shot in the first place. Because it is cheap to retouch today.

When Revlon was shooting their campaigns in the late 80s (those shots going straight to separation without retouching), they were hiring the very best models in the business because they had perfect skin and were great models. And the very best photographers, makeup artists, hair stylists, etc. Today, Cindy Crawford's mole would be retouched out.. then it was an integral part of her image. Yes, it could have been retouched out... would have cost more than the whole shoot to do so though. Today? Anybody can have perfect skin (at least in the photographs). When rarity drops, so does price.

I think you've missed the point of my post.

Fixing photography lighting mistakes is not a good reason to do photoshop whatever the situation, but the people we are talking about (in the makeup campaigns) are shooting quality images which end up being very close to the originals - they're just adding extra quality which is impossible to expect from a real life situation. I know my before and afters are on the whole very close. Put it this way, as a 400 wide image you probably wouldn't see a difference between the two.

Crucially, what used to be a 100% shot 10-20-30 years ago by "todays standards" is a 70% image. To get to 100%, photoshop is expected to turn near perfection to perfection. The option wasn't available then. It is now. So people are using it.

To repeat, we're not talking (well I'm not at least) about taking rubbish and turning it into perfection.

Cindy Crawfords mole is irrelevant. The art director and campaign manager would make a decision on that. Now at least they just have a choice.

The expectations have changed. That's not automatically good or bad but a judgement call based on your view. If your view is that it's bad, fair enough. However, the view from the masses is that a shot from 10-20-30 years ago is now not a 100% shot, nearly regardless of the model, lighting and makeup quality. It requires post production to make it a 100%, on the whole.

Mar 05 10 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Phil Drinkwater wrote:
The expectations have changed. That's not automatically good or bad but a judgement call based on your view. If your view is that it's bad, fair enough. However, the view from the masses is that a shot from 10-20-30 years ago is now not a 100% shot, nearly regardless of the model, lighting and makeup quality. It requires post production to make it a 100%, on the whole.

How many of those "great" shots as you call them are winning IPAs, or Smari's, or Lucie's, or APA Awards, or Sony World awards?  Not a whole lot as far as I can discover. On the other hand, those old guys who did capture those images on film (you know, the ones you say were not 100% by today's standards), photographers like Patrick Demarchelier, are managing to win awards. Maybe the difference isn't as much as you think it is. Maybe photographers shooting 8x10 and having to get it perfect on film actually did just that. The Revlon shots I referred to were as good (in my opinion better) than anything I've seen in magazines in the last ten years. They were definitely sharper and printed at higher DPI than anything is today.

Mar 05 10 05:25 am Link

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

How many of those "great" shots as you call them are winning IPAs, or Smari's, or Lucie's, or APA Awards, or Sony World awards?  Not a whole lot as far as I can discover. On the other hand, those old guys who did capture those images on film (you know, the ones you say were not 100% by today's standards), photographers like Patrick Demarchelier, are managing to win awards. Maybe the difference isn't as much as you think it is. Maybe photographers shooting 8x10 and having to get it perfect on film actually did just that. The Revlon shots I referred to were as good (in my opinion better) than anything I've seen in magazines in the last ten years. They were definitely sharper and printed at higher DPI than anything is today.

As I sit here and read your conversations back and forth with Phil.  It is apples and oranges... Trust and believe retouchers existed 20 - 30 years ago and they were MASTERS at what they did even MORE so than the digital retouchers are now... I was privy to seeing an actual retouch done ON film and in development and it was mind boggling... Which brings us to this point, yeah a lot of the Revlon ads would not be getting the above listed awards, but they were also not shot with that purpose in mind... They were shot (and processed) with trying to earn hundreds of millions of dollars in consumers' revenue and Revlon could honestly care less if they won any awards for photographic excellence.

Standards haven't actually changed or dropped (the masters are still the masters at what they do), just the tools became more available and accessible to the masses.

Mar 05 10 10:43 am Link

Photographer

Vincent_L

I would agree with what others have already posted. There's simply no substitute for working with a model with top notch facial features. Photoshop has allowed us to redefine what "top notch" really means as some things can be easily fixed in post while others cannot. However, regardless of how good the model and lighting are, you can be certain that all professional work you see in advertising campaigns have been extensively post processed.

Mar 05 10 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Phil Drinkwater

On the other hand, those old guys who did capture those images on film (you know, the ones you say were not 100% by today's standards), photographers like Patrick Demarchelier, are managing to win awards. Maybe the difference isn't as much as you think it is.

I'm not saying these people are now poor photographers, as you will see again if you really read my post. They were/are doing perfect photography, as are today's newer masters. However if you place a non processed shot against a processed one you will see a difference. That's why it's done. It's why someone adds an extra $thousands to the budget. Companies commisioning ads make decisions for their business and not because they owe retouchers a living, so they must see an advantage.   

Maybe the difference is more than you think?

Mar 05 10 01:00 pm Link

Photographer

Dallas J. Logan

Phil Drinkwater wrote:

I'm not saying these people are now poor photographers, as you will see again if you really read my post. They were/are doing perfect photography, as are today's newer masters. However if you place a non processed shot against a processed one you will see a difference. That's why it's done. It's why someone adds an extra $thousands to the budget. Companies commisioning ads make decisions for their business and not because they owe retouchers a living, so they must see an advantage.   

Maybe the difference is more than you think?

I've worked on budgets where the retoucher's bill far outweighed mine... It had nothing to do with my photography, lighting or the beauty of the model... It was what they wanted as a final image.

Mar 05 10 01:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Ellison

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Kent Johnson Photograph wrote:
I am surprised no one has said it yet..

Medium or large format. I don't care how many pixels they stuff on a little receptor you will never get the tonal subtlety and clarity with a small camera. resolution, maybe but that is only one part of the equation.

Even though I don't shoot in my studio MF or LF, I would have to agree that you need megapixels to really get the detailed files to start with.  From there, it's all lighting, MUA skill, and model skin quality with some photoshopping to boot.

Mar 05 10 01:38 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Funny (yet sad) evolution to the thread.

It's not what was done, it's how we do. Us, here on MM.

Soooooo ........ while Phil trounces Al, I'll post this and note it was shot with a large gridded octodome and silver reflector.

Simple is as simple does, especially when properly thought out. wink

https://www.brucetalbot.com/mm/SkinGift.jpg

bt

Mar 05 10 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

A R A G O N

Here's a different kind of unedited beauty shot...not as clean. Simple gridded beauty dish. As most people stated...I don't think there is a "right" way of shooting beauty. I will say...for me...top notch artists are key.

https://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs436.ash1/24080_349436645828_181191165828_4130137_7921534_n.jpg

Mar 05 10 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

A R A G O N

awesome as always man

Bruce Talbot wrote:
Funny (yet sad) evolution to the thread.

It's not what was done, it's how we do. Us, here on MM.

Soooooo ........ while Phil trounces Al, I'll post this and note it was shot with a large gridded octodome and silver reflector.

Simple is as simple does, especially when properly thought out. wink

https://www.brucetalbot.com/mm/SkinGift.jpg

bt

Mar 05 10 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Stay Crisp

Shot this earlier in the week with a DIY hard box.
https://www.staycrisp.com/1beauty.jpg

Mar 06 10 03:49 am Link

Photographer

Al Lock Photography

Dallas J. Logan wrote:
As I sit here and read your conversations back and forth with Phil.  It is apples and oranges... Trust and believe retouchers existed 20 - 30 years ago and they were MASTERS at what they did even MORE so than the digital retouchers are now... I was privy to seeing an actual retouch done ON film and in development and it was mind boggling... Which brings us to this point, yeah a lot of the Revlon ads would not be getting the above listed awards, but they were also not shot with that purpose in mind... They were shot (and processed) with trying to earn hundreds of millions of dollars in consumers' revenue and Revlon could honestly care less if they won any awards for photographic excellence.

Standards haven't actually changed or dropped (the masters are still the masters at what they do), just the tools became more available and accessible to the masses.

I was one of those retouchers. Did lots of work for Marlboro (Philip Morris), a few other clients. All on film (11x14 dupes) The cost of retouching was such that clients rarely retouched if they could avoid it. It was expensive. Significantly more expensive than a reshoot. The Revlon campaign I am referring to wasn't retouched. I know that for a fact. Partly because retouching back then guaranteed a loss of quality (multiple generations of dupes were made using pin-registration systems).I also know that Revlon spent a lot of money to have special inserts printed to go in magazines at high DPI (think it was 600 DPI) to show off those shots. And those shots did win awards as well as bring in millions of dollars of consumer revenue (which is of course why Revlon spent the money for those models, photographers, MUAs, special printing, etc.).

To add retouching today means adding a few thousand dollars. Twenty years ago, it meant adding tens of thousands of dollars (in the case of the Revlon shoot, retouching would have cost more than a reshoot with Cindy Crawford, Patrick DeMarchelier, etc.)... in dollars that were worth a lot more.

Retouching is cheap today. That's why everyone does it. It's available and accessible.

I'm also not saying that is bad. But it isn't essential to retouch to get great beauty photography.

Mar 06 10 04:53 am Link

Photographer

Jeremy DuBrul

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ah yes... the dreaded Photoshop Equation.

I for sure do try to approach my workflow as IF digital did not exist and there is no budget for retouch.

PS has become one of those "indispensable and inexpensive" tools which can take a mediocre photo into something useful as well as even distort the reality of not only the photographer but as well as the model.

One of the last film sessions I ever shot was with my beloved Contax Cameras, shot a model who was PISSED at me because she was somehow convinced that she does NOT have a cleft in her chin! Every single one of her photos online were PS to death and removed that cleft.

I do what I can to push, educate and push myself again. Try to work with the BEST models I can. The image in itself absolutely MUST come first. The 10-15m spent on the extra details before shooting can literally save HOURS in the post.

Mar 06 10 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Laubenheimer

New York, New York, US

beauty photography for me is photographing someone using good lighting and a good expression from the person being photographed.

hmmm..... www.beautytellsastory.com comes to mind....

as well as my avatar.....

mark (:

p.s. - i didn't retouch anything.  and yeah....my work looks nothing like what the OP showed.

Mar 06 10 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Neil Snape

Paris, Île-de-France, France

It's that much easier today to capture a great image without the constraints of film contrast.
When I started out I shot beauty on 8x10. My lighting hasn't changed much since that time. Yet I can assure you digital can capture more than enough info for beauty. Getting awards though doesn't really enter into the quality of the original. Ads are done by hopefully the best at what they do. If they have the creative twist to make an award happen.
The OP mind you posted years ago, showed some well crafted contrasty images. Those are best captured on negative film or MF captures as you have more head room for correction. The models and other members all helped to make the picture.

The photographer has a lot of responsibility, but the biggest part is to allow and maintain the production, around the set. The ads were big production, the other pictures in this thread however nice are not ads> the goals different, the fun  very different.

Mar 06 10 10:18 am Link

Photographer

MorittuPhotoGraphy

Florence, Toscana, Italy

Robert Beynard wrote:

When most MM members will think it looks great you went too far.

Absolutely agreed: if you look at POTD winners, too many times the model skin is overdone in PS!

Mar 06 10 10:36 am Link

Retoucher

Kevin_Connery

Fullerton, California, US

Jeremy DuBrul wrote:
Ah yes... the dreaded Photoshop Equation.

Let's try to keep this close to the topic of shooting beauty, and not the merits or history of retouching.

In the OP, Gregory Storm wrote:
I want to know what are the best ways of shooting beauty shots.

Mar 06 10 11:36 am Link

Photographer

H5D PHOTOGRAPHER

Gig Harbor, Washington, US

Profoto white 22" beauty dishes + Gorgeous Agency Model + Excellent MUA + HOURS of tedious post production using tiny 3px healing tool brushes, dodge & burn tools =

https://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/marcfotografik/LeahH_Model_OlgaG_Retoucher.jpg

Single gridded beauty dish + all of the above =

https://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/marcfotografik/EH301__1082_CLR_WebVersion.jpg

2 beauty dishes on a single light stand to camera right in front of the Model ... 1 up high angled downwards.... 1 clamped low down & angles upwards + 1 backlight for separation + all of the above MUA, post etc. =

https://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x105/marcfotografik/AF__1095_WebVersion.jpg

For beauty shots I always prefer to use dishes over softboxes....

A Digital Hasselblad also helps wink LOL

Mar 06 10 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jeremy DuBrul

Chicago, Illinois, US

Kevin_Connery wrote:

Let's try to keep this close to the topic of shooting beauty, and not the merits or history of retouching.

I did

Mar 08 10 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Hire a good retoucher

Mar 08 10 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

J A Y S E N

I really have a difficult time finding models I feel are appropriate for fulfilling my visions in beauty photography.  I feel like this results in a lot of practice in post work.  Specifically the liquify tool and other methods of reshaping features and whatnot.

Edit:  Sorry MM.  I guess that was more of a rant than anything else and didn't really add any value to this long-running thread.

May 22 10 07:04 pm Link