This thread was locked on 2008-01-30 02:11:01
Forums > General Industry > THE LIST~ NewBie's NEED HELP~!! ~Photogs LIST here

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

When you are contacted for help and have been able to shoot with someone, please feel free to make mention of it in the thread and provide links to the finished images when they become available.

Brian Ziff is working on an emblem for us to post in our profiles, identifying us as volunteer newbie shooters and pointing viewers to "THE LIST". smile The emblem should be ready for us sometime next week.

Anything you can do to get the work out is welcome and appreciated. Let's get it going~!!

Dec 28 07 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Aberration Photo

Pensacola, Florida, US

If you think I'm worthy, I'd be happy to give any assistance I can to new models and photographers in my area.

Dec 28 07 02:20 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Anyone else too scared to volunteer 'cause they're afraid they'd be a one-star? lol

Dec 28 07 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

SLE Photography wrote:
Anyone else too scared to volunteer 'cause they're afraid they'd be a one-star? lol

LOL~ Crazy dude~! wink Come on and join up James, you're at least a 3 star. wink

Dec 28 07 02:33 am Link

Photographer

McDonald Photography Calgary

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm interested, if my port makes the cut... smile

Dec 28 07 02:40 am Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Craig Seay wrote:

LOL~ Crazy dude~! wink Come on and join up James, you're at least a 3 star. wink

Hell no.  I'm too busy with TFP shoots to do extra TFP shoots  lol
Seriously, my editing pace is too glacial for me to make this of use to the models.

Dec 28 07 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

SLE Photography wrote:

Hell no.  I'm too busy with TFP shoots to do extra TFP shoots  lol
Seriously, my editing pace is too glacial for me to make this of use to the models.

Cool. Send a few more edits my way. Take care bro.

Dec 28 07 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm calling it a day. I'll add new applicants to update the list sometime later today. Thanks again everyone~!!

Dec 28 07 03:25 am Link

Photographer

Fotowerks LLC

Montevallo, Alabama, US

I'd like to be involved....let me know what I can do!

Terry~

Dec 28 07 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

fotowerks photography wrote:
I'd like to be involved....let me know what I can do!

Terry~

Welcome aboard Terry, you're pre-approved~!! And we have some new applicants to check out, YaY~!!

Gotta fix breakfast for the little kiddles and then I'll be back.

Have you booked your Newbie today? IF so, let us know. smile

Dec 28 07 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Marsh-Bogan Photography

Columbia, South Carolina, US

I will help

Dec 28 07 10:56 am Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

I'm probably going to get like 1 or 2 stars at most, but I'm game.  There ain't that many in this area that will deliver the images when they say they will. That and I have the time. Note: no studio, location only.  Maybe this way I can tryout the new dslr on model stuff. Works great on nature stuff. :-)

GaryR

Dec 28 07 11:08 am Link

Photographer

J A M E S

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm with this.  Make it do what it do.  ; }

Dec 28 07 11:08 am Link

Model

TRISH VICIOUS

Patchogue, New York, US

this is awesome. thank you.

Dec 28 07 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Woosley Photography Inc

Minneapolis, Kansas, US

I'm game for the LIST I already do set a side a day or two for that

Jim

Dec 28 07 11:57 am Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

**ANNOUNCEMENT and discussion**

When you sign up for consideration please be aware that there is currently a rating system in place. This system is administered and monitored by "The Top Drawer" and myself. The rating consists of 1-5 stars. If you score lower than 2 you will not make the list but you are welcome to return after 30 days to be re-evaluated. We do this to provide quality work, and for no other reason. Right now you may request your rating as it is not posted. We may soon post your rating if you wish it so but we will then need to inform the public that a photographer's rating is only posted at his/her request. Currently a model may request to know your rating and we will be obliged to offer the model that information in private.

I believe a rating system is necessary here in order to keep the standard high and to encourage everyone to aim high, but I am open to other alternatives so it's open now for discussion.

Let's keep your discussion clean and positive please. We must strive to maintain good feelings here.

Thanks.

Dec 28 07 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Imagemakersphoto

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

I would be interested in being added to the list of photographers.

Dec 28 07 01:09 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Craig Seay wrote:
**ANNOUNCEMENT and discussion**

When you sign up for consideration please be aware that there is currently a rating system in place. This system is administered and monitored by "The Top Drawer" and myself. The rating consists of 1-5 stars. If you score lower than 2 you will not make the list but you are welcome to return after 30 days to be re-evaluated. We do this to provide quality work, and for no other reason. Right now you may request your rating as it is not posted. We may soon post your rating if you wish it so but we will then need to inform the public that a photographer's rating is only posted at his/her request. Currently a model may request to know your rating and we will be obliged to offer the model that information in private.

I believe a rating system is necessary here in order to keep the standard high and to encourage everyone to aim high, but I am open to other alternatives so it's open now for discussion.

Let's keep your discussion clean and positive please. We must strive to maintain good feelings here.

Thanks.

trust me.. a rating system like you are talking about.. and letting people know will end badly...  just my opinion

Dec 28 07 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

AndrewG wrote:

trust me.. a rating system like you are talking about.. and letting people know will end badly...  just my opinion

Please post your thoughts on this in detail Andrew so that we may discuss. Thanks.

Dec 28 07 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Al Parker Photography

Chandler, Arizona, US

I am willing to help.

Albert.......

Dec 28 07 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

AndrewG wrote:

i dont think a rating system is to say so and so is better or worse than anyone else, as thats all a matter of taste, but if used to say to the new model, this photographer will make time for you and will provide you with images promptly and will take the time to create somthing with you, as those are the things that would be most important to the prospective model. so i think the rating system can be a good thing if used as a tool for prospective models

Dec 28 07 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Pivak Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Craig Seay wrote:

Please post your thoughts on this in detail Andrew so that we may discuss. Thanks.

Sean...I am in agreement with this also...why?

Because over time and time again, I have read of so many trying to alter the true nature of this site...and I too have tried to bring in my 2 cents.  However this site is and will stay a community "street-corner" society who at times with prevail with intellingence, but then I see too much ignorance.  So think...when one is rating...who is doing the rating.  There are no standards here like we have in the Professional markets and after being one for over 25 years and then joining this community now for 2 years...I think it would be quite difficult to wrangle the "true" sense of this rating.  You on the other hand have made waves here and have given way too much time to this site.

I truely feel you should create your own site!  And I am sure you have thought about this many times. 

MM is not and never will become a school, or a place to find the right way...it's more like Wikipedia for Photographers and Models etc.  Some of the time, the information is on the money, but how many times have we read such outlandish remarks or bad information about our business.  Just for example...how many times do we need to read as to why Models need to sign release forms!  UGH.  This won't end and actually I now believe it shouldn't.  This way all the newbies have to rifle through all the muck like everyone else has and in doing so, this site will never become more then what it really is.... a community bulliten board of Hit and Miss photography. 

There are some really good pros here, but the majority of MM is not and most are un-informed of the business and it's common practices.  So when you want to incorporate a rating system into this equation...one must ask, who is doing the rating.  Now are we rating the shoot day, the images, the photographer, the models...all together...it can be a bit off and this may or may not hurt someone in the end.  I feel that the owner's of this site have kept this policy true to this form for years and why in the end MM does work.  It has a life of it's own and in the end, what we say or do or feel does not really matter...it's entertainment.

Some here can put on a great show... you my friend are the PT Barnum of MM...and I say this kindly and with admiration.  I can read how you have tried many times to bring this site up to higher levels of professionalism, but with so many tugging at the heels of others and not knowing the subtle differences of what is a great image...well you get my idea here.  I don't want to keep ranting, which some of you know I can do quite easliy.

Hey...If I am wrong, so be it and more power to all who can see this differently.

I am only agreeing with Andrew,  who brought up the fact, that in the end, it may go all wrong.  So why bother, and just let it be...it will take on a life of its own in the end.

Thanks for listening,
PixelFisher

Dec 28 07 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

WATERSTREETNORTH

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

This is certainly a worthwhile opportunity... please take a look.

Dec 28 07 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

SHGfoto- Stefhan Gordon

Venice, California, US

As previously conveyed to Craig via PM here's my 2 cents regarding the star rating system: for any photogs who wish to be included in the list, as a condition for inclusion they should be made aware that their inclusion is contigent upon review and upon inclusion they will be subject to being rated.

-the method of rating should be clear (which it is)
-how the rating is determined should be clear (which it pretty much is)
-the reason for rating, to get newbie models the best possible images, should also be clearly stated.

by stating this upfront at the top of the thread, you are clearly making togs aware that they will be sollicited to critique and thus not violate the unsollicited critique rules.

Since so many joined prior to any such feedback on the rating system, maybe note that those who were added can easy be asked to be removed or left unrated...though I'd list every one according to their number of stars (and state or region) with the unrated togs at the bottom.

As a courtesy to some who've had their ego's hurt maybe offering some constructive feedback to their ports may be beneficial.

I think too though that any togs who are doing tfp/tfcd for newbies who have to build ports also realize though the types of shots models need for their ports especially if they want to talk to agencies. A lot of the more artistic shots really won't be beneficial to them...so even some of the top togs work that are trying to convey concepts may lose sight of the purpose of a newbie model shot which really should be a shot where the model is the subject (glam).

Yes, any critique is subjective, and for those that don't wish to be the object of any subjectivity, they can choose not to participate or promote this list.

Dec 28 07 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Craig Seay wrote:

seeing as you asked here...  I am posting my thoughts as I presented them to you in a pm.

I am not sure that "announcing" or giving "stars" to people is a good idea. It could lead to some in-fighting or cat fights etc. Someone might go off and think that they deserve more than you are giving them. Or think you are playing favorites. This could be a bad thing in my opinion.

For example.. someone might think that they deserve to be in the "Top Drawer" when you have not put them there.. and even if they dont say it.. might take it as a personal insult if they feel that their work might be better than someone else who IS in the "Top Drawer".

I agree with your dividing it into the "List" and "Top Drawer"... but assigning "stars" in my opinion is only leading down the path of possible problems...

Then there is the question that others are going to ask.. Why are you the one to decide who gets to be Top Drawer? I have no problems with it as I know some of your background in this field. And I saw how you dealt with the POD contests. Others might not know or care.

Someone might just say.. hey.. I deserve more than 2 stars.. or hey I am better that "Joe Blow Photog" who is in the Top Drawer.. this could also fester, and the program could fail without us even knowing who or why.

Remember, A chain is only as good as its weakest link.

And yes.. who decides on giving more stars, and on what requirements do you follow to decide on more or less stars?

No, even though I understand what you are doing, I think a rating system is not a good idea.

Here is a situation for you (that could cause at least one problem...):

2 Photographers in the same local area both are on the List. A model talks to both... in trying to decide, one photographer mentions that he has 4 stars, and the other photographer has only 3 (or 2, whatever). This is going to sound like he is "bragging" or putting the other photographer down. but both are on the List. Model goes to other photographer, asks him how many stars he has.. and tells him what the first one said. Now he feels that he is under the gun to prove himself better... you see where this is going? It could get bad.. then post on MM and then more people leaving the list or feeling it isnt something that they to be a part of...

Dec 28 07 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

KevinMichaelReed

New York, New York, US

Ok, I'm in here too.  I may have to bow out later in the year when I get busy again with season.

Dec 28 07 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm hearing you my brothers.

I'm rethinking the rating system and I'm on the fence now. Someone push me one way or the other, haha~! OK, seriously.

I started this thing so that we could help newbie models with their ports. I want to "GIFT" them as it were, the opportunity to shoot with a photographer that can present them truly in the best light possible. In other words, take the aspiring model who just came over from MySpace with his/her crummy-ass pictures that a friend took with a point'n'shoot or camera phone, and "GIFT" him/her with a real shoot or two. Let's see what this person really looks like. Are you with me here so far?

OK, What about the newbie photographer or even the GWC who sees "THE LIST" as a prime opportunity to "hook up" with newbie models. We've seen the guys who pounce on newbies with tags as soon as they sign up. I know some of these guys are just trying to be enterprising but we also know some of them are like the Big Bad Wolf. We don't want that here, so how do we put off the well meaning newbie photographers until they're ready, and how do we keep out the not so well meaning riff raff, if I may be candid here?

I'm all ears so speak to me. I'm hearing some say that we shouldn't have a rating system, and I have great respect and admiration for the guys doing the saying here. What then? I've read some alternatives. Let's hear more of those ideas.

Also, if you support the idea of a rating system, now would be a good time to speak up. wink

Dec 28 07 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

I'm rethinking the rating system and I'm on the fence now. Someone push me one way or the other, haha~! OK, seriously.

Heavy and solid push goes here!!!

I started this thing so that we could help newbie models with their ports. I want to "GIFT" them as it were, the opportunity to shoot with a photographer that can present them truly in the best light possible. In other words, take the aspiring model who just came over from MySpace with his/her crummy-ass pictures that a friend took with a point'n'shoot or camera phone, and "GIFT" him/her with a real shoot or two. Let's see what this person really looks like. Are you with me here so far?

This is a great way for all of us to GIVE back. We have all been given help by someone in the past. be it a model given a shoot, or a photographer that was given advice or tips. With this list we have the chance to give back.. or as some would say.. "Pay it Forward".

OK, What about the newbie photographer or even the GWC who sees "THE LIST" as a prime opportunity to "hook up" with newbie models. We've seen the guys who pounce on newbies with tags as soon as they sign up. I know some of these guys are just trying to be enterprising but we also know some of them are like the Big Bad Wolf. We don't want that here, so how do we put off the well meaning newbie photographers until they're ready, and how do we keep out the not so well meaning riff raff, if I may be candid here?

More than likely with you and the members of the "Top Drawer" choosing who is on the list.. the "GWC" wont be there. The list is of Photographers not newbie models. The models can look to see if the "GWC" is on the list.. if he says he is and isnt.. she can find that out very quickly. Putting them off? you mean letting them on the list if they arent "ready"? That is why you or your "Top Drawer" look carefully at their portfolios and their profiles. I know.. that dosent assure us that some well meaning GWC with a bit of skill wont get thru.. but if he is on the list and a model complains.. then he will be caught.. and hopefully removed from the list.

I'm all ears so speak to me. I'm hearing some say that we shouldn't have a rating system, and I have great respect and admiration for the guys doing the saying here. What then? I've read some alternatives. Let's hear more of those ideas.

Again.. I have expressed my thoughts on the rating system.. but I do think that the LIST is a great idea.

Dec 28 07 07:00 pm Link

Photographer

S-U-B-L-I-M-E

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Craig Seay wrote:

Also, if you support the idea of a rating system, now would be a good time to speak up. wink

I do understand the idea of a rating system and its purpose...dont mind the concept at all but maybe simplify it  to a criteria list to  and the photog must meet that to be accepted. The  work  must meet a standard ofcourse and a reference from a model possibly to act of the function of quality control...
It is a noble cause and I am sure we can all  make it work smile

Dec 28 07 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

VisualRamblings

Denver, Colorado, US

sign me up......stars be damned!

Dec 28 07 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

KevinMichaelReed

New York, New York, US

Instead of using the rating system publicly, use it only between those who are picking the photographers to be listed.  Then you keep a list of the ratings.  If a photographer "applies" and doesn't meet the minimum rating, you just deny them and say please apply again in 30 days.  YOU keep a note of that, but don't publish it.

Dec 28 07 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by John

Prescott, Arizona, US

I don't think the rating system is that important.  Chuck it, if it is getting in the way.  What is important is that deserving newbies, both models and photographers could use a support system.  Up until now, finding that support has been hit and miss.  I think that MM offering some sort of certification to newbies is a cool idea.  Regardless, I have been doing this for other photographers and models during this last year.  I do it because I believe that the art is more important than the profits.

I don't know where you are going with this rating system but know this, I will continue to offer my support to newbies in anyway I can.

Dec 28 07 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Good, good, very good.

I've got to run out for a few hours but will be back. Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies and sincere desire to see this thing work.

I see it shaping up. smile

Dec 28 07 08:34 pm Link

Artist/Painter

The Art of Paulino

Tampa, Florida, US

I'm game.

Dec 28 07 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

SHGfoto- Stefhan Gordon

Venice, California, US

couple other comments

Craig Seay wrote:

Now I don't oppose the rating method as long as its clearly enacted and stated upfront that this is part of the prerequisite requirements for being included, though I don't disagree with some of the concerns noted  esp about egos...

Plus citing your comments above if a model's port is so awful (and I've seen more than a few that fit your description above) then even a "2 star" photog is going to significantly elevate her or his port so the need to distinguish betw a two and 5 star  tog may not be so critical.

Moreover, any shoot may benefit the model, but a model working with a tog really has to be a marriage of goals. What we may consider a top drawer tog who has a style that that tog may wish to pursue may not have a style necessarily suitable for a specific model. Personally I've been stripping down my own work away from some of my more conceptual stuff so I can have a body of work to approach agencies with to shoot fresh faces .  So for example, depending on the goals of a specific model, some one who shoots fashion and is "top drawer" may not be the best photog for a 5'2  commercial model. I'm sort of speaking in theory, but hopefully people get my point. 

So not only may there be subjectivity as to what other togs consider 2, 3 , 4 or 5 stars, there is also a suitability or appropriateness factor.

Regardless, I do strongly agree that there should be a minimum standard, and suggest that maybe togs can either opt in or out of any rating system if they choose to participate. For any one opting in, it shouldn't be the basis of one person's decision, but should maybe the average of min 3 "top drawer" togs. Though I'm not sure that all the reviewing togs would really want to make a commitment to this process.

I also don't think that aspiring to raise the level of work and discourse above the least common denominator is a bad thing. So noting that these forums appeal to all skill levels shouldn't be a reason not to aspire to higher levels.

anyway..just a few more cents.

Dec 28 07 09:03 pm Link

Model

Phoenyx

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I just wanted to say that being a newbie on this site has been somewhat overwhelming for me.  I think that this an absolutely smashing idea and I'd jump at the chance to work with any of you!  Thanks again for the great idea!!

Dec 29 07 12:50 am Link

Photographer

Lore-Li Photography

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I would totally be up for this.

Dec 29 07 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

**ANNOUNCEMENT**

I'm removing the rating system for now to give us a little more time to study alternative ways of keeping the quality standard high. For now we have twelve (12) volunteers from "The Top Drawer" that we are putting in rotation to screen applicants for placement on "THE LIST", and this may work out to be the best way to do it.

Dec 29 07 01:37 am Link

Photographer

MalePortfolios

Anaheim, California, US

Put me up on the list. I offer TFP for local male models, 1 or 2 a month.

Glenn

Dec 29 07 01:44 am Link

Photographer

LeDeux Art

San Ramon, California, US

Ms Bianca MM # 555156, she has a great look and I see a ton of potintial, she has singing and acting experiance and just a plain sexy look. I met her when she escorted her sister to a shoot we were doing and soon she was posing for my peeping tom series.
https://modelmayhm-2.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071129/04/474e876b940d6.jpg
for this shoot I wanted to address a concern I had with her hair style, by parting your hair on the side you run the risk of always having that some old look as it is a very limeting hair style in my opinion. To remedy this I brought in Xtina MM # 400044, she does great work and is a team player. We decided to go with somthing classy yet sexy, the color scheme was black and red
https://modelmayhm-2.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071226/20/4772f996d41c8.jpg
https://modelmayhm-6.vo.llnwd.net/d1/photos/071224/09/476fbb9b625be.jpg
It was a pleasure to work with Bianca and I cant wait to see what she does with her next photographer

Dec 29 07 02:58 am Link