Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Pay for photoshop?

Model

KaboudMIU

Miramar, Florida, US

Ed Remington wrote:

Hmmm...Sounds like somebody has a thing for ya!

Nah hes just really cool. Another photog I worked with did though and made it clear. Last time I shot with him and his pictures are not up. Eww! But this one is just great.

Man now I feel the 'pressure' to produce some incredible pictures lol.

Jan 04 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

DerekJason photography

Los Angeles, California, US

What do you get for $200.00?

Jan 04 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Morphine Dream wrote:

Premium of course.. because its free.. this lets me free up capital to pay for models transportation expenses...

wink

Photographer

GvM Photography

GAMBRILLS, Maryland, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

depends on the agreement they have .

This is true but if it wouldn't be so important for this photographer he wouldn't even charge for it and let the model do the edithing work. That was my first thought.

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

You put your professional reputation and knowledge on the line for good fun?

Sure. this site is pretty generic in general wink

Jan 04 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

KARIM wrote:

Nah hes just really cool. Another photog I worked with did though and made it clear. Last time I shot with him and his pictures are not up. Eww! But this one is just great.

No pressure, just be you and listen to him.Have fun with it. If he is this good he knows what he is doing.

Jan 04 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Model Sarah wrote:

Sure. this site is pretty generic in general wink

You do realize people who may want to hire you do read the forums, right?

Jan 04 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Saerbreathach_Photos

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

KARIM wrote:

You'd better.. or else.

Jan 04 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

KARIM wrote:

The guy's giving you a great price and maybe hooking you up with some clients...No Pressure wink  Don't worry about it, just go in there and kick @$$!!! smile

Jan 04 06 10:39 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

You do realize people who may want to hire you do read the forums, right?

I was being sarcastic first of all.

Second of all I dont really rely on the forums for work.

Jan 04 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Has to be talking about CS because it has all the Adobe programs included and is abot 900-1200 depending on where you get it. If you are a student you can get it for about 400 though.

Yeah, this would be Adobe Creativity Suite CS2 Standard. You can buy Photoshop CS2 from the Adobe website for $649.00.

-P-

Jan 04 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Model Sarah wrote:

Second of all I dont really rely on the forums for work.

None of us do but more times than I can cant I have spoken with photographers who have made comments like" ya know I was all ready to contact so and so about this series of shoots and it would have paid her big, and shes expressed interest in working with me in the past. But now that I have been seeing how she conducts herself on here and the things she says, I changed my mind".

Jan 04 06 10:42 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
None of us do but more times than I can cant I have spoken with photographers who have made comments like" ya know I was all ready to contact so and so about this series of shoots and it would have paid her big, and shes expressed interest in working with me in the past. But now that I have been seeing how she conducts herself on here and the things she says, I changed my mind".

If that were the case 75% of the people here wouldnt be getting work.

I would hope a photographer would contact me based on my body work not the forums.

We shoot with each other we dont have to have the same religion or political views.

It's work.

Jan 04 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Model Sarah wrote:

If that were the case no one here would be getting work.

I would hope a photographer would contact me based on my body work not the forums.

We shoot with each other we dont have to have the same religion or political views.

It's work.

There are certain tudes that come across on here that could mean some possible issues in working together in real life so we stear clear of certain models.

Jan 04 06 10:45 am Link

Model

KaboudMIU

Miramar, Florida, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

really lol

LOL @ morphine 'Or else' you just made me laugh so hard lol

Jan 04 06 10:45 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

KARIM wrote:
LOL @ morphine 'Or else' you just made me laugh so hard lol

Careful, thats how accidents happen and I aint cleanin it up!

Jan 04 06 10:47 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

There are certain tudes that come across on here that could mean some possible issues in working together in real life so we stear clear of certain models.

Sure in a sense that would be correct but that is kind of being a little closed minded.

Unless the model was one of the models myself and another photographer were talking about in the "insane models" thread

(insert scared smiley)

Jan 04 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Model Sarah wrote:

Sure in a sense that would be correct but that is kind of being a little closed minded.

Unless the model was one of the models myself and another photographer were talking about in the "insane models" thread

(insert scared smiley)

If you aren`t careful some may see you as one of those insane models. Especially you being without coffee when you try to argue ;-)

Jan 04 06 10:48 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
If you aren`t careful some may see you as one of those insane models. Especially you being without coffee when you try to argue ;-)

oooooooooh yes but I usually shoot in the afternoons smile

I have many many many references that would say otherwise as well.

You should read that thread. It is quite interesting.

Jan 04 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Model Sarah wrote:

oooooooooh yes but I usually shoot in the afternoons smile

I have many many many references that would say otherwise as well.

You should read that thread. It is quite interesting.

Only in the afternoons? Sort of limiting isnt it?

Jan 04 06 10:55 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

Only in the afternoons? Sort of limiting isnt it?

Being sarcastic.. (hence the smiley faces)

I have been known to start a shoot at 6 am.

I ALWAYS have my coffee before though.

Jan 04 06 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Model Sarah wrote:

Being sarcastic.. (hence the smiley faces)

I have been known to start a shoot at 6 am.

I ALWAYS have my coffee before though.

I love starting early, myself.Last time I started that early was an outdoor shoot and we shot until after dark in all sorts of locations.

Jan 04 06 10:59 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I love starting early, myself.Last time I started that early was an outdoor shoot and we shot until after dark in all sorts of locations.

I love doing that. Starting early is actually best for me.

Location shoots are sometimes the best in my opinion.

Jan 04 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Model Sarah wrote:

I love doing that. Starting early is actually best for me.

Location shoots are sometimes the best in my opinion.

As long as I am either near some place to eat and such, or take stuff along for the model(s) and I I can shoot until supplies run out. I lose track of time. I dont notice how long the shoot was until I get home and my back and legs go on strike suddenly once I sit on the couch.

Jan 04 06 11:08 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

As long as I am either near some place to eat and such, or take stuff along for the model(s) and I I can shoot until supplies run out. I lose track of time. I dont notice how long the shoot was until I get home and my back and legs go on strike suddenly once I sit on the couch.

Ha! Me too.

Man... those are the good ones though.

Jan 04 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

I think if has allready been mentioned, but I am still amazed at the concept that Photographers should not charge for their services and that taking $$$ from models and new models it is a sin, BOY!!! are we in  the wrong industry, I think we have to thank MR. TFP for that one!

$200 to retouch all the images its a steal, $200.00 per image would be a bit too high, for the must part I charge Models a sitting fee and then $30.00 per image, so no, I do not hand out Raw/negs to any model unless she is paying big bucks and my name will not be on the image, they hire me for my artistic interpretation, so I have to be in control from begining to end on the creation of the final product so my work looks consistance on the level of quality that I think I am, and no 2 minds think alike.

This is all I do to survive, and I had in the past offered a free shoot but the model would pay per image, a few have taken advantage when I offered in the past, one even shot with me evry other month to update her book, but it does cut in the photographer's pocket and time which = $$$ specially if that is all you do. Granted, some images may not need re-touching, I still charge the same, if they want Specialty retouching done then they have to pay more.

I think it all boils don to what quality do you want in your port, and they will be the quality of Photographers that you will attract and in turn the jobs you may get.

If Charging the model we are making $$$ off of them, what is wrong with that...she/he is a client, client pays for a service they want, people will pay that to get images unretouched from Sears or K-Mart which are just boring plain and its a 5 minute sit, but would have a problem paying for more quality, more time and it is an investment for their carreers.

Yes, you can do all the TFP in the world to get where you want to get, and you may think since there was no out of pocket expense it was free...Wrong! it will take you longer to get where you want to be and you have lost many oportunities and shel life, Time is $$$ and good oportunities do not show up ofter, so you got to be ready for them if you are serious about the biz.

She did the right thing on paying for what she belief is good work, a good photographer can enhance her look and show her a few tricks of the trade to get her carreer to the next level.

I get lots of "I love your work and would like to shoot with you" coments, but I just have to say the word "sure, lets talk and I will give you a good price on a shoot" they disapear and stop contact, with out even knowing how much it will be... So my work is good enough to get it for free cuz they think they are beautifull, but not enough to pay a dime for it? then I don't want that kind of clients and in turn they lost my business.

Negotiation is a key, but always keep the doors open and do not burn bridges, always follow up and when when you don't want something, politely say you are not interested or that you can't at the moment or something... but if you use words like.."I will never pay for images" or "I will never pay a photographer" then you have no Idea how your rep will fall as photographers do talk among each other.

This world is soooo messed up sometimes!

Sorry to rant this morning, this is what happends when I get up earlier than ussual  LOL  ;p

Jan 04 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Model Sarah wrote:

The guy is just trying to make money off of you.

Just get photoshop and do it yourself. It isnt hard wink

Unless you have the Photographer's permission, you can NOT legally photoshop his images!!!  Infringing on copyright!!!

Jan 04 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Model Sarah wrote:

Ha! Me too.

Man... those are the good ones though.

One shoot I did back when I had a studio is proof of this,lol. We started one afternoon and finished up, went outside and it was almost dark. thinking it was dusk until we saw the clock on the car, it was the next morning and she had a 2 hour trip to get back home for work, which started an hour from that time,lol.

Jan 04 06 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Dave Mauzy

REGO PARK, New York, US

KARIM wrote:
Hi everyone? How are all you beautiful souls doing today? I hope good. smile Just had a quick question..I have a photographer that 'usually' cvharges a lot of money for a photo session. Now he said he will take my pictures for free but charge me about 200.00 for editing and photoshop. Does this sound right? Im new to this.

Thank in advance for all the replys.

Karim

Personally I don't charge extra for photoshopping unless we're talking major work. If they want people removed (in the case of say a wedding) or background changed .. then I am apt to charge, but for basic corrections I don't .. it comes with the package.

Jan 04 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Model Sarah wrote:

Oh my God ... can't belive ... you said that.

That was the most stupid thing I saw here with all respect but how can you say that don't you have any Ideia what a professional has to do it? I'm working with PS for 10 years now, I spent a lot time and money going to classes, associations, Workshops and paying for books,  the value of the software is about 600,00.  If this photographer is charging 200,00 that is cheap.   

How can you say something like that don't you think if she wants something and that work worth it is not fair charge for this ? 

I'm sorry for you think like that, shows you don't have any respect for any photographer... that's sad.

Jan 04 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

GvM Photography

GAMBRILLS, Maryland, US

luciano  Mello wrote:

That was the most stupid thing I saw here with all respect but how can you say that don't you have any Ideia what a professional has to do it? I'm working with PS for 10 years now, I spent a lot time and money going to classes, associations, Workshops and paying for books,  the value of the software is about 600,00.  If this photographer is charging 200,00 that is cheap.   

How can you say something like that don't you think if she wants something and that work worth it is not fair charge for this ? 

I'm sorry for you think like that, shows you don't have any respect for any photographer... that's sad.

YOU ARE SO RIGHT! THANK YOU!

Jan 04 06 11:21 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

luciano  Mello wrote:

Uh the last comment was sarcasm.

I guess you didnt read everything here did you?

Jan 04 06 11:25 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

One shoot I did back when I had a studio is proof of this,lol. We started one afternoon and finished up, went outside and it was almost dark. thinking it was dusk until we saw the clock on the car, it was the next morning and she had a 2 hour trip to get back home for work, which started an hour from that time,lol.

I love shoots like that. Makes all of the hard work pay off.

Jan 04 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Model Sarah wrote:

I love shoots like that. Makes all of the hard work pay off.

read? what does this mean........this word......read....  I dunt undahstand

Jan 04 06 11:29 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

read? what does this mean........this word......read....  I dunt undahstand

haha you are too much.

Jan 04 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Model Sarah wrote:

haha you are too much.

-confused look-we never discussed money, yet. and dont forget travel expenses!

Jan 04 06 11:31 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:
-confused look-we never discussed money, yet. and dont forget travel expenses!

hahaha.... dont forget you need to get Tinkerbell to get inside of my car to fart fairydust.

Thats what cars run on now smile

Jan 04 06 11:40 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Model Sarah wrote:

hahaha.... dont forget you need to get Tinkerbell to get inside of my car to fart fairydust.

Thats what cars run on now smile

If someone farts in my car they get tossed out,lol. Tinkerbell would get fly swatted smile

Jan 04 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Be careful, unless the photographer allows you to, you have no right to alter his work!

Jan 04 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Habenero Photography wrote:

Be careful, unless the photographer allows you to, you have no right to alter his work!

weve been over this a few times in this thread ,lol.
great business name by the way. I grow those in my back yard smile

Jan 04 06 11:51 am Link