Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Pay for photoshop?

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Habenero Photography wrote:

Be careful, unless the photographer allows you to, you have no right to alter his work!

Ugh no one reads all of the posts.

IT WAS SARCASM.

and I know this.

Jan 04 06 11:54 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

weve been over this a few times in this thread ,lol.
great business name by the way. I grow those in my back yard smile

Is that all you grew? (wink wink)

Jan 04 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Is that all you grew? (wink wink)

I let others grow that for me -cackle-

Jan 04 06 11:57 am Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Glamour Boulevard wrote:

I let others grow that for me -cackle-

Ah I see.

Nice move. big_smile

Jan 04 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:

Ah I see.

Nice move. big_smile

cheaper in the long run, let THEM take on the risk ;-)

Jan 04 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

pandagirls

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, US

You are saying the photos are for your portfolio. Since they are for your portfolio, pay the $200 for the photos and edit them yourself in PhotoshopCS. You can download it for free from Adobe for a 30 day trial. Another option is to go to the local comunity college that has a photography department. Go to the teacher and tell them you want some photos edited. They will in most cases do it for free for you as a learning experience for one of their students.

Jan 04 06 12:25 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

XposurePhoto wrote:
I think if has allready been mentioned, but I am still amazed at the concept that Photographers should not charge for their services and that taking $$$ from models and new models it is a sin, BOY!!! are we in  the wrong industry, I think we have to thank MR. TFP for that one!

$200 to retouch all the images its a steal, $200.00 per image would be a bit too high, for the must part I charge Models a sitting fee and then $30.00 per image, so no, I do not hand out Raw/negs to any model unless she is paying big bucks and my name will not be on the image, they hire me for my artistic interpretation, so I have to be in control from begining to end on the creation of the final product so my work looks consistance on the level of quality that I think I am, and no 2 minds think alike.

This is all I do to survive, and I had in the past offered a free shoot but the model would pay per image, a few have taken advantage when I offered in the past, one even shot with me evry other month to update her book, but it does cut in the photographer's pocket and time which = $$$ specially if that is all you do. Granted, some images may not need re-touching, I still charge the same, if they want Specialty retouching done then they have to pay more.

I think it all boils don to what quality do you want in your port, and they will be the quality of Photographers that you will attract and in turn the jobs you may get.

If Charging the model we are making $$$ off of them, what is wrong with that...she/he is a client, client pays for a service they want, people will pay that to get images unretouched from Sears or K-Mart which are just boring plain and its a 5 minute sit, but would have a problem paying for more quality, more time and it is an investment for their carreers.

Yes, you can do all the TFP in the world to get where you want to get, and you may think since there was no out of pocket expense it was free...Wrong! it will take you longer to get where you want to be and you have lost many oportunities and shel life, Time is $$$ and good oportunities do not show up ofter, so you got to be ready for them if you are serious about the biz.

She did the right thing on paying for what she belief is good work, a good photographer can enhance her look and show her a few tricks of the trade to get her carreer to the next level.

I get lots of "I love your work and would like to shoot with you" coments, but I just have to say the word "sure, lets talk and I will give you a good price on a shoot" they disapear and stop contact, with out even knowing how much it will be... So my work is good enough to get it for free cuz they think they are beautifull, but not enough to pay a dime for it? then I don't want that kind of clients and in turn they lost my business.

Negotiation is a key, but always keep the doors open and do not burn bridges, always follow up and when when you don't want something, politely say you are not interested or that you can't at the moment or something... but if you use words like.."I will never pay for images" or "I will never pay a photographer" then you have no Idea how your rep will fall as photographers do talk among each other.

This world is soooo messed up sometimes!

Sorry to rant this morning, this is what happends when I get up earlier than ussual  LOL  ;p

Amen!

This is maybe the BEST post I`ve read on here in a long time, really makes a PONT here, PHOTOGRAPHY is an investment, it`s a luxury and a service that when done by professionals, the words FREE and or TFP NEVER get in the conversation

I`m so fed up with seeing models want everything for free, models who want to make money SIGN UP WITH AN AGENCY and get your bookings threw them, or get out there and beat the streets looking for paying jobs AFTER you have established a TOP portfolio that YES..... you really have to pay for

But, back to photography, my style and the work itself is very time consuming and props and locations, photography is a service and photographer`s who just do TFP`s are just "hobbists" they don`t make money and they don`t care about the business

I`m in this for the MONEY and to make money, for me photography`s NOT a hobby it`s a FULL-TIME job that pays the bills

Try eating negatives and milk in a bowl.......that does`nt work, you starve

Jan 04 06 12:32 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:

Amen!

This is maybe the BEST post I`ve read on here in a long time, really makes a PONT here, PHOTOGRAPHY is an investment, it`s a luxury and a service that when done by professionals, the words FREE and or TFP NEVER get in the conversation

I`m so fed up with seeing models want everything for free, models who want to make money SIGN UP WITH AN AGENCY and get your bookings threw them, or get out there and beat the streets looking for paying jobs AFTER you have established a TOP portfolio that YES..... you really have to pay for

But, back to photography, my style and the work itself is very time consuming and props and locations, photography is a service and photographer`s who just do TFP`s are just "hobbists" they don`t make money and they don`t care about the business

I`m in this for the MONEY and to make money, for me photography`s NOT a hobby it`s a FULL-TIME job that pays the bills

That works both ways.

Jan 04 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Model Sarah wrote:
...That works both ways.

It does.  But in this case, who is offering a higher value proposition?

Jan 04 06 12:54 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

lll wrote:

It does.  But in this case, who is offering a higher value proposition?

Yep and that was my point.

The model is inexperienced and if the guy is as good as she says then yes she should pay.

Jan 04 06 12:56 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Or better yet, find one who will pay you $200 instead and give you all of the photos on a CD.

LMAO

Jan 04 06 12:59 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

KARIM wrote:
lol Well still waiting for the 200.00 dollar offer lol. No but seriously I have seen this guys work and I LOVE it. Its exactly the look I want in my port. I know he charges about 800.00 a shoot but will charge me 200.00 for editing. lol ( not like I need much editing jk wink ) But I just dont know if 200.00 is A lot?

If the editing is good, 20+ per edit is a good starting price. If you love his work, he probably spends more time and energy editing than you realize.  Every photograph looks better after it has been well edited...regardless of how 'perfect' the model may be in the first place. So, if he is good, and he usually charges, it makes sense that you are getting a discount to me. It all depends on if it is worth it to you. Doesn't sound like he is pulling one on you at all.

Jan 04 06 01:02 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Just get photoshop and do it yourself. It isnt hard wink

Sarah, just because it isn't hard for you, doesn't mean it isn't difficult...As an editor, if someone asked you to do an editing job for them, wouldn't you charge them 20+ an edit? I would. Photoshopping and modeling are two different talents, and not all models are as multi talented or as willing to put 100s to 1000s of hours into doing photoshop (as we are). I wouldn't pay to have someone edit, because editing is fun for me, but some models could definitely benefit their portfolios if they had someone who knew photoshop edit their pics for them. It would make them more money in the long run....
BTW, I have been meaning to write you...

Jan 04 06 01:08 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

(I didn't notice the thread was 5 pages, forgive me for I have reiterated....)

Jan 04 06 01:10 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lapis wrote:
Sarah, just because it isn't hard for you, doesn't mean it isn't difficult...As an editor, if someone asked you to do an editing job for them, wouldn't you charge them 20+ an edit? I would. Photoshopping and modeling are two different talents, and not all models are as multi talented or as willing to put 100s to 1000s of hours into doing photoshop (as we are). I wouldn't pay to have someone edit, because editing is fun for me, but some models could definitely benefit their portfolios if they had someone who knew photoshop edit their pics for them. It would make them more money in the long run....
BTW, I have been meaning to write you...

Oh man... I had said in 4-5 prior posts that the second line of my comment was sarcasm.

I realize that editing is very hard to do. But in MY opinion I would not pay for it because I am experienced in photoshop.

Inexperienced models can pay for it all day. More than likely it will be worth it.

I was just going to ask why havent you responded to my kind request smile

Jan 04 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Model Sarah wrote:

The guy is just trying to make money off of you.

Just get photoshop and do it yourself. It isnt hard wink

Yea it not hard to do a shitty job!!!

I have worked with Photoshop for six years and there is still a lot to learn!!!

Don't belittle the tools or the talent necessary to make a great photo....

Most of the work here on MM and other site wouldn't be considered for anything commerical or commission.

If this person wants great images pay the f'in $800 for the shoot and also pay the $200 for the editing...

Why wear a Vera Wang dress and wear k-mart shoes!?!?!?!?

Jan 04 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:

Yea it not hard to do a shitty job!!!

I have worked with Photoshop for six years and there is still a lot to learn!!!

Don't belittle the tools or the talent necessary to make a great photo....

Most of the work here on MM and other site wouldn't be considered for anything commerical or commission.

If this person wants great images pay the f'in $800 for the shoot and also pay the $200 for the editing...

Why wear a Vera Wang dress and wear k-mart shoes!?!?!?!?

I guess I am going to have to delete that post because no one is reading the further comments....

= /

Jan 04 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

One more thing (not directed to anyone) but not bacause someone knows PS it means they have a license to re-touch an image, you are changing the way the Photographer intended the image to look and at that point it is not his final image, but yours... Photographers has to be responsible for their work all the way thru, its their name on the pic, not the Model's.

In this new Era, Photographers Have to know PS Good enough to be able to do their own work, some big name Photogs actually pays someone to do this for them cuz it is time consuming, but again, they are charging big bucks to the client and the client has to wait Weeks for it, TFP Models expect the CD with ALL images re-touched for free in a few days or else they will complain, talking about misinformation there, but as long as there are people willing to do it, there will be people asking for it!

Jan 04 06 01:25 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Model Sarah wrote:
I was just going to ask why havent you responded to my kind request smile

I was hacked (like an ignorant fool) and my database crashed. Yuck.

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:
Paying that much money for editing is quite retarded.

Retouchers charge $35-$45 per 15 minutes.  Take your photos to a high quality lab and see how much they charge to edit your photos and then you'll realize how incorrect your statement was.

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lapis wrote:
I was hacked (like an ignorant fool) and my database crashed. Yuck.

Yikes.

You are a quite gorgeous 'ignorant fool' smile

Jan 04 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

And people think my $50.00/hour was too much  lol  Good point!

Jan 04 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

studio L

Oakland, California, US

KARIM wrote:
Hi everyone? How are all you beautiful souls doing today? I hope good. smile Just had a quick question..I have a photographer that 'usually' cvharges a lot of money for a photo session. Now he said he will take my pictures for free but charge me about 200.00 for editing and photoshop. Does this sound right? Im new to this.

Thank in advance for all the replys.

Karim

What "sounds right" is what works for you.

No one else can make this judgement call...or "should".

If you like his work, and a facsimile of that work is what he is offering you...$200. is chicken feed-regardless of what it is actually billed for.

The caveat: you get what you pay for, when you're lucky.

Jan 04 06 01:36 pm Link

Photographer

fitnessforyoutoo

Danville, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:

75% of the photographers I have worked with.

Any photographer with brains will never hand out a RAW image ever! What are you smoking???

Jan 04 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

fitnessforyoutoo

Danville, California, US

Model Sarah wrote:

That is quite a low thing to say.

They didnt do this to work with me, they paid me as well.

We both usually enjoy art and the work we do together. I consider it a gift when they give me these images.

Woohoo!! Im dying lol how many photographers on here will hand out a RAW image???? My guess is no one....

Jan 04 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

Ok after looking at your port if this guy is as good as you say he is then pay him and shoot asap. Your gorgeous but you really need some top flight shots bad.

Jan 04 06 06:36 pm Link