Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Good deed or bad deed?

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

So I am driving down the I-5 from San Far-Isco to La-La and there, in the middle of the freeway is the cutes, but totally disoriented little dog I have ever seen.  Traffic was flying by and zagging around him.

So I pull over, slow traffic around and coax him out of the traffic lanes.  The little dog was so sweet.

He was nervous, but starving.  I talk him into coming over to my van and I rustle up some junk food when he ravished down.  I get him into the van to eat some more.

The problem is that I am the way down, not on the way home.  There is no way I can keep the poochy in my hotel room or I would have kept him with me.  So I took him to the highway patrol and they had an animal shelter come and pick him up.

In the meantime, the dog saw me get back in the van without him and had the saddest look on his face.  Had I been able to take hiim with me, I would have brought him home, got him food and medical care and then found him a proper home.  But since I was on the road, it wasn't possible.

So I know I did a good deed by getting him off the freeway and into a shelter where he can get food, care and hopefully adopted (someone will want him, he was way too cute). So why do I feel so badly this morning?

Alan

P.S.  The dog was obviously abandoned.  He had no collar but clearly had belonged to someone. Although normally a fairily liberal guy, I would support public flogging for anyone who deliberately abandons their pet.

Jan 07 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Shame on you... givin that poor dog junk food... that shit could kill him... wink

Jan 07 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Good deed.  Dogs rarely do well on freeways.

Jan 07 06 09:43 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Don't feel bad Alan.  It is better that you got him to safety and shelter than to have left him out on the highway.

If you're really concerned check with the police when you're on your way home, find out the shelter, and adopt him yourself to make sure he doesn't end up with that other option that shelters carry out.

Jan 07 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

If more people were like you, Alan, there wouldn't be this problem.

I once dated an attorney and as most of them do she took on pro-bono work that was community oriented.  Hers was helping children dropped off at O'Hare airport.

There are thousands of cases each year where a parent will save enough to fly to America with a child, only to leave the child behind and fly back to enable the child to be raised in America.  This happens far more than what people may think.

A Jonas Nightingale scenario in real life...

Jan 07 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

raveneyes wrote:
If you're really concerned check with the police when you're on your way home, find out the shelter, and adopt him yourself to make sure he doesn't end up with that other option that shelters carry out.

Ya know what, that is a good idea.   I know exactly where I left him.

Jan 07 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Select Models wrote:
Shame on you... givin that poor dog junk food... that shit could kill him... wink

Better the junk food than the animal shelter. He just put that dog on death row.

*Edit*

Yea, I hope you have picked him up. If you can't keep him for yourself, a nice doggy give-a-way to a loving family is just as good.

Jan 07 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Dossett Photography

Lovejoy, Georgia, US

Be glad you did what you did. About a year ago I picked up a Couch beagle that  had been abandoned, and had been hit by a car. It dislocated her left "elbow". I took her to the vet, paid $300 to have her fixed up, lost a day at work to make her take her medicine, all thinking "She is so cute I won't have any problem finding her a good home". Well, it's a year later and she is STILL here, in the backyard with my other 3 dogs( Shepard, Chow and Rott, also all strays ). Can't find her a home anywhere. And if I take her to the pound, they would just gas her. I try to offer her to the models I shoot as compensation!  smile

Jan 07 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Dossett Photography wrote:
Be glad you did what you did. About a year ago I picked up a Couch beagle that  had been abandoned, and had been hit by a car. It dislocated her left "elbow". I took her to the vet, paid $300 to have her fixed up, lost a day at work to make her take her medicine, all thinking "She is so cute I won't have any problem finding her a good home". Well, it's a year later and she is STILL here, in the backyard with my other 3 dogs

Dude... That's your dog now. lol

Jan 07 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Monsante Bey wrote:
Better the junk food than the animal shelter. He just put that dog on death row.

Actually, that is why I am anguishing.  I think he will get adopted, but I have made my decision.  I am going to call the shelter today and if he has not been adopted by the time I go back up north, I will pick him up myself.

Jan 07 06 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

You did a great thing, the most important thing is you had pure motives.......that dog may have been hit and surely killed if left where he was, and in some capacity, you risked your own life to give him his.......At least now he has a chance of finding a good home, before he had no chance.....there are no kill shelters but when out of town, that's harder to investigate.....hope it all works out........

And yes......any sack of shit who would be that irresponsible or apathetic with their pets to not even have a name and address tag and rabies tag, and don't supervise their pets I would have no trouble tying them up and letting fire ants crawl all over their bodies, privates included.

Jan 07 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

Harrison Sweazea

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Actually, that is why I am anguishing.  I think he will get adopted, but I have made my decision.  I am going to call the shelter today and if he has not been adopted by the time I go back up north, I will pick him up myself.

Right choice. Somehow, I would not have been able to get that sad face out of my mind, and it would've eaten me alive inside. I'm a sucker for a homeless animal.

Jan 07 06 10:58 am Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

raveneyes wrote:
Don't feel bad Alan.  It is better that you got him to safety and shelter than to have left him out on the highway.

I agree.  That is a very good idea.  Seems the dog bonded with you too.  smile

Jan 07 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

quietnow

Man, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Same thing happened to me with a kitten. Was the cutest thing ever and I can't get him out of my head, and I'll never find him again.

You need to find that pooch and give him a good home, then please tell us about it!!!!

Jan 07 06 12:00 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

pkun1 wrote:
You need to find that pooch and give him a good home, then please tell us about it!!!!

You are right.  If the dog is there, I will be picking him up next week.  I have been told that they hold him for five days to see if he is claimed so he will be there when I go home unless he is adopted.  If he is adopted, that is fine, but if not, I will pick him up.

Jan 07 06 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Alan, you are so sweet. Good karma and all that is with you.

Jan 07 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Awwww shucks.  You are tickling my gazunka.  Thanks.  I appreciate the comments.

Jan 07 06 07:19 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

North Chicago, Illinois, US

It's good to see there are still kind people in the world. Imaging how many folks whizzed by that dog and didn't even care. Kudos and karma to you.

Jan 07 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Yeah, you fell in love, you'd a better pick up the dog. Chances are good, especially since you have already shown an interest (don't know if you called or will call shelter) in the animal. If someone else falls in love with him first and takes him, then it wasn't meant to be, but if he is there, he is yours. Or she, as the case may be.

Jan 07 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Chris Mills wrote:
It's good to see there are still kind people in the world. Imaging how many folks whizzed by that dog and didn't even care. Kudos and karma to you.

I think that was the most disturbing thing.   Here was a cute, starving dog just standing in the freeway and nobody did anything.

Thanks for the kudos, but isn't that what humanity is all about?

Jan 07 06 07:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Christopher Payne

North Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks for the kudos, but isn't that what humanity is all about?

Well, it should be.

Jan 07 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Aww, Alan, you're such a sweet person. Just think about how many people drove right by. He probably would have ended up dead in a field somewhere of starvation, or hit by a car and either killed, or left in agony. You definitely did the right thing. *hugs*

I'm the same way, though. God, I'd adopt every freakin' animal that crossed my path if I could. I'm such a softie for pets.

Jan 07 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Did the very VERY right thing.

My cats were "Pounders" and I have never regretted it.

We had a cat show up one day setting up an antique show.  Raining outside and very nasty.  Poor white shorthair kept trying to come in out of the rain.

Seems she had stowed away in the belly of an RV and had been hauled from Nevada to California.

Nobody wanted her tracking water and mud over everything - but you could see she had a really cool personality - she was just miserable and scared out of her wits.

I took her home and cleaned her up - and a few days of warm food and bedding showed she was a real winner.  We had talked to the RV place in Nevada - and nobody had reported a missing pet.

Found her a home with another dealer before the show even finished - and I think she still sits in the sunny places of her new home to this day.

She was one of the lucky ones - all it takes is somebody to care - even for a few days.

VintageV

Jan 07 06 11:50 pm Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
Good deed.  Dogs rarely do well on freeways.

not to mention it could have cuased an accident with drivers avoiding him .....
then who knows if someone could have died...

"good deed"

your just feeling bad due to the unknown of what was the end result

Jan 07 06 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Nothing pisses me off more than when people don't take on the responsibility of having a pet. When I get a pet, that pet is mine for life. No matter how much of a problem it becomes, I would NEVER EVER get rid of it.

Some of you saw my post about Sierra. My dog that recently died. It took me 4 whole years to get her fully housebroken, and to stop chewing stuff up. Many people suggested I get rid of the dog. NO! I took on the responsibility. To me, it's like having a kid and then getting rid of the kid because it becomes a burden. A pet is for life.

Those people who abandoned their pets in New Orleans. I could never do that. No matter what the hardship was. And the bastards that left them chained to a fence. I hope they get cancer and die a miserable death. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

Jan 07 06 11:59 pm Link

Model

Mandie

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Good deed for sure.  Please let us all know how it works out!

Jan 08 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

BasementStudios

Newton Falls, Ohio, US

So I am driving down the I-5 from San Far-Isco to La-La and there, in the middle of the freeway is the cutes, but totally disoriented little dog I have ever seen.  Traffic was flying by and zagging around him.

So I pull over, slow traffic around and coax him out of the traffic lanes.  The little dog was so sweet.

He was nervous, but starving.  I talk him into coming over to my van and I rustle up some junk food when he ravished down.  I get him into the van to eat some more.

The problem is that I am the way down, not on the way home.  There is no way I can keep the poochy in my hotel room or I would have kept him with me.  So I took him to the highway patrol and they had an animal shelter come and pick him up.

In the meantime, the dog saw me get back in the van without him and had the saddest look on his face.  Had I been able to take hiim with me, I would have brought him home, got him food and medical care and then found him a proper home.  But since I was on the road, it wasn't possible.

So I know I did a good deed by getting him off the freeway and into a shelter where he can get food, care and hopefully adopted (someone will want him, he was way too cute). So why do I feel so badly this morning?

Alan

P.S.  The dog was obviously abandoned.  He had no collar but clearly had belonged to someone. Although normally a fairily liberal guy, I would support public flogging for anyone who deliberately abandons their pet.

I totally have the utmost respect for you right now.  What an awesome thing to do.  By the way, most shelters will hold the animal if you are really interested in picking him up on your way home, call them and tell them if no one adopts him that you want him and don't put him down.

You are a good person with a HUGE heart!

Jan 08 06 12:32 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Poor puppy. You done good.

I ended up with my cats when the owner of the porch they were living on said she was going to take them to a shelter.  I didn't really want to be a cat mom, but I didn't want them to go to a shelter. So over a year later, I have a cat using my foot as a pillow. Which means I can't get up until she wakes up from her nap...

Jan 08 06 12:53 am Link

Model

Mandie

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Haha, I have a big cat on my lap, too, holding my left arm down...  I never get up until he's off, either, because I know how pissed I get when people move me around when I am trying to sleep...  (That sounds weird.  Like random people come into my bedroom at night and move me around!...  but you know what I mean!)

Jan 08 06 12:57 am Link

Photographer

myndzeye Photography

Captain Cook, Hawaii, US

JenniferMaria wrote:
Alan, you are so sweet. Good karma and all that is with you.

Yup!  Karma!  Good deed.  Good man, Alan.  Good Karma.  It's not the size of the gesture.  It is the gesture.

Jan 08 06 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I work in a shelter (exotic birds) and yeah, you did a good thing.  It really sucks that shelters have to resort to euthanasia (our shelter is not no-kill, but we have only ever euthanized a bird in cases of terminal or contagious illness, or aggression to the point of endangerment), but the fact is, there are more animals than there are good homes.  We spend tons and tons of time and money rehabilitating birds that come from abuse or neglect situations, or have severe behavioral or mental problems, as well as arranging new homes for birds that come out of good homes that no longer have the means to support them (usually a move). 

Please please please consider this:  Overpopulation is a huge problem.  There are more animals than homes.  Spay and neuter your animals, accidental breeding is neglect!  Refuse to support needless breeding of all domesticated animals by boycotting pet stores and breeders, and adopt!  Whatever type of animal you may be looking for, I can guarantee there's a homeless one somewhere who needs your love!  Please don't blame the shelters that have to resort to euthanasia because they have no means to support the animals that are brought to them that no one will adopt.  Use Petfinder.com to find a shelter in your area (they list shelters of all kinds, dog, cat, barnyard animals, reptiles, birds, etc).

Jan 08 06 01:06 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Maybe it's not the animals that are overpopulated. Maybe its the people. There's 5,000,000,000 of us. And like 12 rhinos, 4 eagles, a lion or 2, and 20,000,000,000,000,000 chickens.

Jan 08 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

You did a good thing.  If you are not ready to take in a dog then do not.   That can often be a bigger mistake.

I am sure the dog had a good cry but hey,  haven't we all.    We do what we can do.
Allow us to adopt you only when you are ready.   Nothing worse then staying home all day with nothing to do.

Please please please consider this:  Overpopulation is a huge problem.  There are more humans than homes.  Fix and neuter your human, accidental breeding is tarded!  Refuse to support needless breeding of all domesticated humans by adopting and boycotting breeders, and adopt!  Whatever type of human you may be looking for, I can guarantee there's a homeless one somewhere who needs your love!  Please don't blame the shelters that have to resort to euthanasia because they have no means to support the humans that are brought to them that no one will adopt.  Use match.com to find a easy date in your area (they list shelters of all kinds, ugly people, boring people, barnyard humans, reptiles called sluggos, bird watching humans?, etc).

Jan 08 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Thanks for all the support comments.  I would have responded sooner but I am on the road shooting and staying at hotels.

I have talked to the shelter and the dog is on hold right now to see if an owner shows up.  They have promised to call me when the adoption period is over and give me time to drive down if he doesn't get taken by someone.

I appreciate all the words.  Somone said I was sad about the uncertainty.  Animals aren't people but they are living beings.  This cute guy dind't deserve to be abandoned. Now that I know he will not be put to sleep, all is well.

It is all turning out fine!

Jan 08 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Thanks for all the support comments.  I would have responded sooner but I am on the road shooting and staying at hotels.

I have talked to the shelter and the dog is on hold right now to see if an owner shows up.  They have promised to call me when the adoption period is over and give me time to drive down if he doesn't get taken by someone.

I appreciate all the words.  Somone said I was sad about the uncertainty.  Animals aren't people but they are living beings.  This cute guy dind't deserve to be abandoned. Now that I know he will not be put to sleep, all is well.

It is all turning out fine!

AL I can say is Dude - You rock! You certainly did a very good thing and that dog is so lucky to have been found by you.

Jan 08 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

that was a very good deed, im sure the owner, (assuming he wasnt abandoned, if the dog got out or lost) will appreciate it, and if he was abandoned than whoever adopts him will truely be happy he was there

Jan 08 06 08:37 pm Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Maybe it's not the animals that are overpopulated. Maybe its the people. There's 5,000,000,000 of us. And like 12 rhinos, 4 eagles, a lion or 2, and 20,000,000,000,000,000 chickens.

well yeah.  but I'd take a lot more flak for saying that I think it's an irresponsible practice for a couple to bring more than 2 children into the world, since it is contributing to overpopulation, and that I support government funded mandatory sterilization.  That's a hell of a lot more controversial than spay and neuter your pets.  And it's a lot more likely I'd be able to convince someone to adopt a homeless animal than a homeless child.

Jan 08 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

I will never ever stop in the freeway or on the side even to save a dog. I did once to save a horse and was almost killed.

Jan 08 06 11:00 pm Link