Forums > Photography Talk > Printing, mounting, framing ...

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

A hip young California photographer told me this morning that "real pros in the industry" don't worry about prints any more, because everyone buying images accepts digital.  I find that hard to believe.  Anyone (besides podunk art photographers like me) still making, mounting, and framing your own prints?

Jan 07 06 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

I am.  If it can't be hung on a wall it's ephemeral.

-D

Jan 07 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Yep.  Sold my first print of 2006 yesterday!

Jan 07 06 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Savage

Encinitas, California, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
A hip young California photographer told me this morning that "real pros in the industry" don't worry about prints any more, because everyone buying images accepts digital.

Three tell-tale parts there:

young
real pros
and 
everyone

The way I read this is 'I've decided that I'm so young and hip that whatever I perceive as reality, is.'  But who knows, maybe he has come up with a 'totally rockin' way to hang cds on the wall.

Whatever...

R

Jan 07 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

He's talking about magazines, but even that shows his lack of knowledge in that most publications never accepted prints to begin with, most used slides.

I sell a lot of prints and do all my printing, matting and framing myself.

Eric Foltz

Jan 07 06 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

I agree that probably 99.9% of "images" (not sure I should call them photographs) never get past a computer screen.  A "photograph" is, to me, an object, something that you can hold in your hand.  It should contain silver.  Or palladium if you are lucky.

Jan 07 06 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Eric Foltz wrote:
.. most publications never accepted prints to begin with, most used slides.

Oh, back in the olden days color meant chromes (slides), and B&W meant prints.  I've never delivered color prints, and as a matter fact, I've never shot color negs unless a tourist handed me a camera to photograph her with.

Everything I've delivered for print use since 2002 have been scans.  That last holdout was (NotOnly)Black+White, the Aussie mag.  They wanted chromes, then (sorta) screwed up the drum scans.

-Don

Jan 07 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Foltz

Lake Forest, California, US

I used to hate sending out slides. It was such a pain in the butt with the packaging, return envelopes, etc... and everyone wanted the originals so you were stuck only being able to have them out to one potential client at a time.

The digital age does have it's advantages.

Eric Foltz

Jan 07 06 05:14 pm Link

Photographer

MarkCarpenter

Rochester, New York, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
Anyone (besides podunk art photographers like me) still making, mounting, and framing your own prints?

Oh hell yeah. But I'm a small-city art photographer, a close relative. It would be hard for me to care less about the runway and all that jazz. For myself, it's all about the end result being a print. In a frame. Hanging on a wall (preferably someone else's).

Jan 07 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I live down the street from a great frame store, people all over CA send their stuff to her. But I have no money...

Jan 07 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
A hip young California photographer told me this morning that "real pros in the industry" don't worry about prints any more, because everyone buying images accepts digital.  I find that hard to believe.  Anyone (besides podunk art photographers like me) still making, mounting, and framing your own prints?

The only thing that has changed is that you can advertise prints while having a zero inventory.  When someone orders your 16x20 print you process their order, open file, print, mount, frame, ship.  All that without having to make them wait weeks for you to take it somewhere to ahve it enlarged, blah blah blah.  Tell that hip guy he's a tool. big_smile

Jan 07 06 09:15 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Just as I suspected.

I matted and delivered three pigmented ink and two platinum prints today.  Just for fun I asked both customers if they'd consider accepting digital images 'cause I'd heard that's what they're doing in California these days.  One told me the only thing from California that interests him comes with a cork in it.  smile

Jan 07 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Star wrote:
I live down the street from a great frame store, people all over CA send their stuff to her. But I have no money...

Charge up front.  That way you use the buyer's money.

Jan 07 06 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

Ivan123 wrote:
A "photograph" is, to me, an object, something that you can hold in your hand.  It should contain silver.  Or palladium if you are lucky.

Or platinum if you're rich. ;-)

Jan 07 06 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Dogbone Alt-Process wrote:

Or platinum if you're rich. ;-)

Or a PT/PD mixture if you're thrifty and don't print it before it's paid for.

Jan 07 06 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Tim Hammond wrote:
A hip young California photographer told me this morning that "real pros in the industry" don't worry about prints any more

Allow me to translate...

"Hip young California photographer" = Clueless kid with a camera who took some classes as USC.

"Real pros in the industry" = Noone the clueless kid has ever actually met.

Jan 07 06 10:04 pm Link