Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Anyone else like to cook?

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

I LOVE to cook. Any other artistic people like creating delicious dinners?

I am having french onion soup, beef roast slathered in 20 cloves of garlic and along side, bacon wrapped aparagus and cream cheese/roasted garlic smashed potatoes with a touch of green onion. All made from scratch!!! I had to post this because all I can smell in this house is GARLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YUMMO!!

I would love to share some of my recipes if anyone is interested...
Yummy chicken feta burgers with oven fries
broccoli alfredo lasagna
BRUSCHETTA!!!

Dee

Jan 15 06 03:50 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

I cant cook- but damn Im hungry now!
Thanks alot!

Jan 15 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Kalamazoo, Michigan, US

smile

I made fiesta stuffed mushroom caps just lately...(LOL I'm in the habit now of making "good food" then photographing it....so there'll be pics up later on)

My all time favorite thing to make is garlic lime chicken with rice and mushrooms, flavored with green onions.

I also make a few good soups...fresh tomato soup mmmmm

Yeah...thats why I'm fat.

Jan 15 06 03:52 pm Link

Model

Zab

Ellenton, Florida, US

Heck yeah!
I LIVE to cook!

And garlic .... Oooo garlic ... I love some garlic!
Tonight for me is chicken chunks that have been marinated in teriyaki sauce with bacon wrapped around them, topped with pineapple and roasted asparagus with garlic and shallots .....

... but I love honey lime salmon ...

YUM!! big_smile

Jan 15 06 03:54 pm Link

Makeup Artist

ROSHAR

Los Angeles, California, US

Ive got a Microwavable Hot Pocket staring at me....

Jan 15 06 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Zab wrote:
Heck yeah!
I LIVE to cook!

Tonight for me is chicken chunks that have been marinated in teriyaki sauce with bacon wrapped around them, topped with pineapple and roasted asparagus with garlic and shallots .....

YUM!! big_smile

YUUUUMMMMM

I make a chicken like that but with italian dressing as the marinade!!!Verry  yummy!!!

Jan 15 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Roshar wrote:
Ive got a Microwavable Hot Pocket staring at me....

Awwww come to ohio and I will cook for you!!!

Jan 15 06 03:57 pm Link

Model

Zab

Ellenton, Florida, US

Ooooo, italian dressing marinade sounds good too, I'll have to try that one next time! smile

Jan 15 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Zab wrote:
Ooooo, italian dressing marinade sounds good too, I'll have to try that one next time! smile

Make sure you drain most of the oil off the top of the dressing when it is seperated !! Only use the bottom of the dressing!!!

Jan 15 06 04:00 pm Link

Model

Zab

Ellenton, Florida, US

Dee wrote:
Make sure you drain most of the oil off the top of the dressing when it is seperated !! Only use the bottom of the dressing!!!

I usually drain most of the oil out or make my own - I like all the spices that settle on the bottom - that's the best part! *LOL*

Jan 15 06 04:04 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

Why yes I do I just made some chicken tacos for lunch man they were awesome!

Jan 15 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Cooking and baking........love it as long as it`s for friend`s and not for 100 crazy people smile  (I used to be a chef') Love cooking German/Austrian and Greek food

Jan 15 06 04:08 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Cooking is good.   Actually, I enjoy cooking a lot.

Cleaning up afterwards is another matter.   I am domestically challenged.

I find it most convenient to have boxes of Corelle in the closet and simply donate the dirty ones to Goodwill as I use them.

Jan 15 06 04:14 pm Link

Model

Zab

Ellenton, Florida, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

See that's where I'm weird ... *LOL*
I like the cleaning part too ... part of that obsessive compulsive thing I suppose
Hee hee hee big_smile

Jan 15 06 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Cooking is good.   Actually, I enjoy cooking a lot.

I find it most convenient to have boxes of Corelle in the closet and simply donate the dirty ones to Goodwill as I use them.

Thats why you clean as you go...When people watch me in the kitchen they are amazed..I do not stop..I am always prepping or cleaning my areas or stirring or something..when I go in the kitchen to cook I COOK!!!..LOL

Oh yeah a little tip from Rachel Ray...Keep a garbage bowl so you dont waste your time walking back and forth!!! it is a great tip!!! Just dump all your scraps and garbage in it and empty it with one trip to the garbage!!

Jan 15 06 04:55 pm Link

Model

Alexei

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I was on bad terms at one of my first cooking jobs because my boss noticed that i'd edit his recipes everytime i prepared something to make it more fun, and taste better. never had a single complaint about my cooking, but he just didn't like it. now i behave myself a bit, but cook at home the way i damn well please, and eating something you just put your heart into cooking is almost as good as seeing your significant other after being apart for a long period of time.

Jan 15 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Zab wrote:

I like the cleaning part too ... part of that obsessive compulsive thing I suppose
Hee hee hee big_smile

OK, I'll tell you what then, come to California, I'll cook, you clean up and then we can both go shoot and make some money.

Haha, somone who likes cooking AND cleaning, very interesting.

Jan 15 06 05:04 pm Link

Model

Zab

Ellenton, Florida, US

OK, I'll tell you what then, come to California, I'll cook, you clean up and then we can both go shoot and make some money.

Haha, somone who likes cooking AND cleaning, very interesting.

You got yerself a deal there, Alan! big_smile
Would be nice if my uncle still lived in CA ... *sigh*

You know a majority of us artists are weird anyhow *LOL* wink

Jan 15 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Elemental Photo

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

I LIKE to cook, but I LOVE baking. I think it has something to do with all the chocolate(I rarely make anything that doesn't have chocolate SOMEWHERE in it)
:p

Jan 15 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I love to cook, too.  Most of the time, I just do the basics -- comfort food.  For example, I make a big batch o' chicken soup from scratch & eat some for a lunch or a dinner.

I love to bake, too:
   >>>  I make some killer brownies.
   >>>  My cheesecake is pretty darn good.
   >>>  For basic comfort cooking:  I love apple brown betty.
   >>>  Lately, I've been enjoying some basic macaroons -- I pretend these are good for me.

For dinner tonight, I plan to make some "meat pies" -- sauteed onions, mushroom, a little meat, garlic, leftover pizza sauce, wrapped in a biscuit-like dough.  Basic, comfort, and good all at once.

Jan 15 06 05:34 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

I love cooking and baking.

I made this last night :  ginger crusted Orange Roughy with honey glazed carrots and baked potato slices with herbs.

For dessert: a german chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting.

All homeade.

Jan 15 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Y'all should try my Miso Black Cod with a mouthwatering Shrimp & Scallop lemongrass Risotto. Served with a 1989 Cakebread Cellars Chardonnay.
Salad: Mixed greens, crushed walnuts, diced beets and crumbled goat cheese.
Dessert: Flourless chocolate cake & Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream served with a Tawny Port.

Jan 15 06 05:41 pm Link

Model

Zab

Ellenton, Florida, US

Eric S. wrote:
Y'all should try my Miso Black Cod with a mouthwatering Shrimp & Scallop lemongrass Risotto. Served with a 1989 Cakebread Cellars Chardonnay.
Dessert: Flourless chocolate cake & Haagen Dazs vanilla ice cream served with a Tawny Port.

Holy crap Eric .......... I need to come visit you in Miami! big_smile

Jan 15 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Alexei Fomin

Ypsilanti, Michigan, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
I love to bake, too:
   >>>  I make some killer brownies.
   >>>  My cheesecake is pretty darn good.
   >>>  For basic comfort cooking:  I love apple brown betty.
   >>>  Lately, I've been enjoying some basic macaroons -- I pretend these are good for me.

Are they magically delicious?

Jan 15 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

I HATE BAKING...I HATE IT!!!!!! I can never make anything thing fluffy or not lopsided...LOL

I think i hate it so much cause I used to make wedding cakes...YUCK!! I hate sweet stuff too so that may have something to do with it...

Jan 15 06 06:17 pm Link

Model

Brandon Smith

San Diego, California, US

To some weird degree I actually thank M. Stewart for my love of cooking.  I happened across one of her cookbooks for great parties awhile back and have made almost everything in it.  Of course, I've manipulated the recipies as I see fit and somethings I don't even look at the recipe anymore.  I like it now though as I've gotten away from boxed or canned cooking (using something sorta premade) and my mother hates me for it..... seems I can make a pie crust from scratch while she still uses the graham cracker crusts premade... I love her though :-)

Jan 15 06 06:27 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

I love to cook.
Like most things I do.   I try to do it either quickly or great.   So I have my microwave burritos ready.  But I make a great green pasta sauce with asparagus/artichokes hearts/spices that looks cool and tastes great.   Of course the usual red tomato sauce is around most of the year.

I make a cool dumplig/kimchi/sometimes with tofu mixture that is very tasty and can range in spicyness.

I make several versions of Lasagna.   A full force traditional version that will make you sleep for hours.  One that my mom calls a yuppie lasagna that is quite beautiful to look at and eat.   A meatless lasagna and a lite lasagna.   My lasagnas are works of art.

I am not great at cooking steak though I do love one now and then.    I love to cook a seafood pasta dish.

A thai version of a seafood salad.  Nice and spicey.

I make some great meatballs.   I think most meatballs taste like cardboard.

Nabieakie Udon(spelling) which is a hot soap type pot with many veggies,  an egg, and Udon noodles.

Japanese cold noodles are great in the summer time.   Great to make at parties.

A Japanese style curry,  Hmmmm, goooood.

A great spicey miso soup with potatos and clams.

Old fashioned escorale chicken soup that I share with my dogs.   They do not eat the greens.

That is some of the good stuff.  But I am often lazy and just cook quickly for myself.

I am hungry now.

I did buy some strange garlic this week.   It smelled too much.  I had it in five levels of bags and it was still stinking the fridge up.  I had to just chuck it.

Jan 15 06 06:38 pm Link

Model

elisaveta ♀

New York, New York, US

I love to cook!
♀

Jan 15 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

I'm actually working on a book of original recipes called Decadence. Every sunday night I test run one of the meals for it.

Tonight's test run is herb-crusted pork chops with lemon cream sauce, rosemary rissoto, apples poached in port, baby spinach with pralines and crumbled blue cheese, served with 2000 Columbia Crest Reserve merlot.  Dessert is pear and gouda tarts with creme fraiche and a spicy german gewurztraminer.

My wife doesn't cook at all, but she loves sunday night test runs. smile

Jan 15 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Cooking is only second to photography...big_smile

Jan 15 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

JasonE

Durham, California, US

I can only cook certain things.

Jan 15 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Gettler

Pueblo, Colorado, US

Ohh I love cooking and baking and stuff...

lets see my Chicken Stir Fry is infamous between 3 states, same with my pounded fried chicken and my Lasagna about 5 states L()L.

but needless to say, I like to experiment mroe than anything in the kitchen.

take a chicken breast, boneless skinless, pound the hell out of it to make it nice and flat set aside,

lightly sautee (I can't spell so please bear with me and if it looks weird. just sound it out L()L) some long think slices of portabello mushrum in a nice port,
also lightly sautee some green spinich leaves to make them more loose.

wrap the spinich around the mush set aside,

cut some calimata olives into quarters set aside,

crush a ton of garlic set aside ,

get chicken lay long side away from you,

make a small layer of Porchuto (italian meat)

than provolone

than some garlic and olives

than lay the spinich wrapped much on edge and roll,
tuck the sides in as you roll , stick one or two toothpics to hold together.

now in the pain you sauteed the much and spinch in.. sear the chicken wraps till lightly browned.

now place foil into shallow backing dish and put seared chicken inside.  drizzle with olive oil and nice port, garlic and olives.  Seal foil and bake (depending on how many you have ) 4 for 35-40 mins at 350.

Open at table and remember to remove the toothpicks. 

I normaly do presenttation by cuting them in half opening them and placing half spears of buttered asperagus and drizzled with sauce from inside bag.

a nice side dish I would do a wild rice with whatever seasonings caught me for the day.

for desert I would make a nice peach turnover with carmel sauce and stuff.

it was a fun experiment.. and I liked it. 6-;

Jan 15 06 07:48 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I love cooking. One of my old jobs was as a cook in a nursing home. I used to always get in trouble, though, because I would actually add flavor to it!

I make a wonderful lemon-honeybutter chicken breast on rice pilaf. Also, I make my spaghetti sauce from scratch...I don't like using the pre-made stuff unless I am running short on time. Also, my banana-split cake is to die for!

I plan on going back to college to study business and the culinary arts, so that someday within the next ten-15 years, I can hopefully open my own restaurant.

Jan 15 06 09:01 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

JUST POINT ME TOWARDS THE KITCHEN!!!

NEVERMIND, I'm a Chef. I'll find my way.

"Dinner's in two hours people!!"

Jan 15 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Eric S. wrote:

Dude, that makes the open invitation even more attractive.  smile

Jan 15 06 09:25 pm Link

Model

Shawntae

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

I love cooking! I hope it was wonderful...I'm sure it was it sounded great!

Jan 15 06 09:28 pm Link

Photographer

Jeff Fiore

Brooklyn, New York, US

Zab wrote:
Heck yeah!
I LIVE to cook!

... but I love honey lime salmon ...

YUM!! big_smile

Zab wrote:

Hee hee hee big_smile

Marry me? Please?????

Jan 15 06 09:31 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Dee wrote:

Thats why you clean as you go...When people watch me in the kitchen they are amazed..I do not stop..I am always prepping or cleaning my areas or stirring or something..when I go in the kitchen to cook I COOK!!!..LOL

Oh yeah a little tip from Rachel Ray...Keep a garbage bowl so you dont waste your time walking back and forth!!! it is a great tip!!! Just dump all your scraps and garbage in it and empty it with one trip to the garbage!!

Very good advice.  I couldn't cook if I didn't clean as I went. 

I like making fresh spring rolls.  Goes quite well when my husband makes green curry or tom ka.  I also like making stews, but no one around here likes them but me so I tend to not make them too often.  My next goal is to conquer making sushi!

Actually, my husband is the awesome cook, not me.  My love is for baking and confectioning.

Jan 15 06 09:37 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

*edit* I meant to quote you. ha.

Inferi wrote:
I like making fresh spring rolls.  Goes quite well when my husband makes green curry or tom ka.

That reminds me.
I have to learn how to make Pop-overs. My baby loves that buttery soft pillow warm melt-in-your-mouth  bread. And, we'll go broke eating at that high priced restaurant every day. lol.

My favorite dish to cook is 'Blackened Chicken n Pasta (with spinach and rosemary.) After being blackened, the chicken gets simmered in White Grape Wine. Sprinkle some parmasan or rocetta cheese ove  the still steaming pasta and add croutons (or sesame bread bits) and lightly steamed tomatoe slices. Then with an alfredo marinade enhanced by a raw table spoon of milk for temperature control and a little butter poor the marinade into the pasta as you stir it to mix the spinach leaves and tomatoes in good with the parmasan and bread bits.

Top it off with a glass of Remy Martin VSOP and a piece of Ghiradeli dark chocolate for desert.

I would eat it every day if possible.

Jan 15 06 09:57 pm Link

Model

Inferi

Eagan, Minnesota, US

Angelus wrote:
Top it off with a glass of Remy Martin VSOP and a piece of Ghiradeli dark chocolate for desert.

I would eat it every day if possible.

Ghiradelli. . . .no, no, no.  Try scharffenberger and you'll be addicted for life!  Or Dagoba. . .they have some very good organic chocolate. smile

Jan 15 06 10:03 pm Link