Forums > Model Colloquy > What is the normal for models hips?

Model

Mindy

Chandler, Arizona, US

I got measured yesterday and apparently I was measuring in the wrong spot. I thought my hips were 35" They measured me between the top of my hip bone & my butt. 37"! Can you believe that?!?!? On a good thread, my waist was smaller than I thought.. lol

Mar 27 08 11:19 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Mindy wrote:
I got measured yesterday and apparently I was measuring in the wrong spot. I thought my hips were 35" They measured me between the top of my hip bone & my butt. 37"! Can you believe that?!?!? On a good thread, my waist was smaller than I thought.. lol

That's quite common.  New models without any costuming experience always seem to measure their hips too high and their waists too low. 37" hips may not be small enough for fashion, but it's still pretty slim.

Mar 27 08 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

RSM-images

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Bra size is band size (perimeter immediately below the bust) plus a letter in cup size for each inch of greater perimeter of the bust size.

Waist size is measured at the smallest perimeter between the rib cage and the iliac crests.

Hips size is the largest perimeter of the hips-buttocks.

The "norm" for a model's hips depends on both body type and photoshoot genre.

Mar 28 08 12:04 am Link

Model

Kaeti

Olympia, Washington, US

...What they said.

I think a lot of the models here measure at the hip bone.  If you're in doubt, put more detailed measurements on your profile.  In costuming, we used both hip measurements -- "at the bone" and "full hips."

Mar 28 08 12:10 am Link

Model

The Michael Freeby

San Diego, California, US

My hips are 32"!!!!!

Mar 28 08 12:11 am Link

Model

Kaeti

Olympia, Washington, US

The Michael Freeby wrote:
My hips are 32"!!!!!

You are a male, after all.  You're not squeezing a baby's head through your pelvis anytime soon.

Mar 28 08 12:23 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Dixie Lux wrote:

You are a male, after all.  You're not squeezing a baby's head through your pelvis anytime soon.

but if you do, please take pictures.

Mar 28 08 12:25 am Link

Photographer

G Elliott Simpson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

theda wrote:

but if you do, please take pictures.

I could make some pictures of that happen. That sounds like a neat shoot.

Mar 28 08 12:28 am Link

Photographer

outsidetheboxphotograph

Gresham, Oregon, US

Mindy wrote:

You ask what is NORMAL for a Models Hips??

I don't know about "NORMAL"...but as long as she doesn't shake the building or break my equipment taking her pants off...she's fine with me!!

Mar 28 08 12:36 am Link

Model

The Michael Freeby

San Diego, California, US

Dixie Lux wrote:

There could be enough room.

Mar 28 08 12:38 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Fashion hips are 33-35 rarely 36"

Mar 28 08 01:59 am Link

Model

Rhian Alise

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

I have 37 inch hips as well. ANNDDD I am 8 inches shorter than you. I used to like my hips until I realized that lol...

Mar 28 08 02:01 am Link

Photographer

Paul Pardue Photography

Oakland, California, US

Rhian Alise wrote:
I have 37 inch hips as well. ANNDDD I am 8 inches shorter than you. I used to like my hips until I realized that lol...

but they are some damn fine hips

Mar 28 08 02:07 am Link

Model

Kaeti

Olympia, Washington, US

Rhian Alise wrote:

Same hips, different number.  Love what you've got!

Mar 28 08 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

MartinImages

Los Angeles, California, US

Is this like asking:  "Am I fat?"

~cringes~

B

Mar 28 08 01:06 pm Link

Model

chitownmodel09

Chicago, Illinois, US

Rhian Alise wrote:

hun you definitely have nothing to be ashamed about wink

Mar 28 08 01:51 pm Link

Model

chitownmodel09

Chicago, Illinois, US

mine are 38 if it makes you feel any better? smile

Mar 28 08 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Seabrook Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

I THINK MY BELT SIZE IS THE EQUATOR.

Mar 28 08 01:53 pm Link

Model

Pumpkin PinUp

Valencia, Valencia, Spain

Seabrook  wrote:
I THINK MY BELT SIZE IS THE EQUATOR.

Same as mine! lol

Mar 28 08 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

RSM-images wrote:
Bra size is band size (perimeter immediately below the bust) plus a letter in cup size for each inch of greater perimeter of the bust size.

The proper model stat is bust size, not bra size.  The two are very different measurements.

Bust size is measured across the fullest part of the breasts while wearing an unpadded bra.

Mar 28 08 02:25 pm Link

Model

Isabeau

PINETOP, Arizona, US

My goodness, all you sweet ladies!!! lol. My hips are almost 40" after giving birth to twins. lol. BE GRATEFUL!!

Mar 28 08 02:28 pm Link

Model

Tia

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

It depends on what type of modeling you are doing..

IrisSwope wrote:

^^
What she said.

Then again, I'm an art model with 34" hips, and some photographer in the critique forum said I was big-boned.

tongue

Mar 28 08 02:41 pm Link

Model

Sam_

New York, New York, US

IrisSwope wrote:

QFT.  You measure over the largest part of your butt.  If you're being measured at an agency and you're wearing jeans, they know to subtract an inch.

Mar 28 08 02:47 pm Link

Model

Stella K

New York, New York, US

Rhian Alise wrote:

I'm even shorter but I don't care, I'd love to add an inch or two to my hips. *sigh*

Mar 29 08 04:57 am Link

Model

NotInUse123456789

Boston, Georgia, US

Rhian Alise wrote:

You look amazing smile  I have the same problem with those 37 inch hips sad Just bought a stepper.. I'm hoping it helps!

Mar 29 08 05:04 am Link

Model

Lynn5665

Fayzābād, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

The Michael Freeby wrote:
My hips are 32"!!!!!

now that was just messed up!!!!!

Mar 29 08 05:23 am Link

Model

Lynn5665

Fayzābād, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

chitownmodel09 wrote:
mine are 38 if it makes you feel any better? smile

mine too. 

i cant' believe you people just had me measure my hips.  lol

Mar 29 08 05:27 am Link

Photographer

TannerMedia Photography

Tempe, Arizona, US

sorry, Jane Burgess posted as me.

Mar 29 08 06:04 am Link

Model

Catriona

Portland, Oregon, US

Greg Ninke wrote:
37 inch hips are pretty big to want to be a model, unless you are a plus size model. Most photographers like it to be under 35, which is the regular modeling standards.

I have 42" hips and yet I seem to have no problem getting work. I guess now I have to go tell all the people I've worked with that they're weird for wanting to shoot with someone so huge as myself.

Fashion modeling standards =/= "regular modeling standards."

Mar 29 08 09:21 am Link

Model

Ka dence

Dayton, Ohio, US

Catriona wrote:

I have 42" hips and yet I seem to have no problem getting work. I guess now I have to go tell all the people I've worked with that they're weird for wanting to shoot with someone so huge as myself.

Fashion modeling standards =/= "regular modeling standards."

Your body is great!

Mar 29 08 09:28 am Link

Model

Ka dence

Dayton, Ohio, US

Greg Ninke wrote:
37 inch hips are pretty big to want to be a model, unless you are a plus size model. Most photographers like it to be under 35, which is the regular modeling standards.

Can you name these "most" photographers please?

Mar 29 08 09:32 am Link

Model

Meisha is MiSsMiMi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

outsidetheboxphotograph wrote:

You ask what is NORMAL for a Models Hips??

I don't know about "NORMAL"...but as long as she doesn't shake the building or break my equipment taking her pants off...she's fine with me!!

Damn...guess i can't shoot with you, then.

Mar 29 08 09:42 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

my hips are 35-36 aproximetely last time I measured and believe me compare to most girls in the real world they are pretty small. I wish I had more hips that would give me a nice hourglass figure. Let me keep dreaming

Mar 29 08 09:55 am Link

Photographer

A-M-P

Orlando, Florida, US

Isn't the perfect figure supposed to be 90-60-90 in cm I don't know what that is in in inches. lol

Ok got is 35-23-35 in inches well thats what they go by for things such as Miss universe lol

Mar 29 08 09:57 am Link

Model

Jane Burgess

Tempe, Arizona, US

KillerShotz Photography wrote:
Isn't the perfect figure supposed to be 90-60-90 in cm I don't know what that is in in inches. lol

Ok got is 35-23-35 in inches well thats what they go by for things such as Miss universe lol

I remember seeing one of those model shows, not sure which one since they have so many on tv now. This is for high fashion I am pretty sure. They said designers do not like to use models that have hips over 35 inches. One of the models had like 38 inch hips and they were all uptight about it. I do know photographers that will not work with models that have bigger hips them ther chest size. Each photographer is different. I have 32 inch hips and have been told they were a bit big for my height of 5'6.

Mar 30 08 11:56 pm Link

Model

Jane Burgess

Tempe, Arizona, US

Ka dence wrote:

Can you name these "most" photographers please?

I can name a lot of photographers that shoot glamour, swimwear and lingerie have specific requiremements that that include waist sizes that are not bigger then 34. It depends on what type of modeling that you do. I have 32 inch hips and was told to slim them down for swimsuit shoots.

Mar 31 08 12:01 am Link

Model

Sheena Murray

Margate, Florida, US

martinimages wrote:
Is this like asking:  "Am I fat?"

~cringes~

B

Lmao! Haha!

Mar 31 08 12:06 am Link

Model

Sheena Murray

Margate, Florida, US

Isabeau wrote:
My goodness, all you sweet ladies!!! lol. My hips are almost 40" after giving birth to twins. lol. BE GRATEFUL!!

I want my hips to be 40!!

Mar 31 08 12:11 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Jane Burgess wrote:

I can name a lot of photographers that shoot glamour, swimwear and lingerie have specific requiremements that that include waist sizes that are not bigger then 34. It depends on what type of modeling that you do. I have 32 inch hips and was told to slim them down for swimsuit shoots.

Are you sure your hips are only 32 inches? 32 is incredibly tiny for an adult woman's hips. A measurement like that would mean you have a very flat ass or a very narrow pelvis, neither or which looks to be the case from your photos.  I'm only slightly taller than you and the last time my hips saw 32", i was well under 100lbs.

But please, do name these glamour photographers looking for hips art least as small as required in high fashion.

Mar 31 08 12:17 am Link

Model

-loren-

Chicago, Illinois, US

SHEENA MURRAY wrote:

I want my hips to be 40!!

Hahha. I wish I had bigger hips too. I think they are so sexy and womanly (with the right measurements of course!). I love the look of professional corsets on women, for example.

Mar 31 08 12:17 am Link